Art & Literature

London: Government investing heaps in art jobs

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Jeanne On April 23, 2010

London, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Oct 20, 2009 @ 13:55:56
Hi all
I just thought I?d share something interesting. I?ve just read that the British government will be investing over 100 million pounds in support to a) building a National Film Centre b) extensions to the Tate Modern and c) extensions to the British Museum.
I wonder why they are doing this all of a sudden?
It is a great thing and every government around the world should invest in promoting their country?s art.
salinaa On May 11, 2010

Surrey, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Oct 20, 2009 @ 15:32:48
@Jeanne Said

Hi all
I just thought I?d share something interesting. I?ve just read that the British government will be investing over 100 million pounds in support to a) building a National Film Centre b) extensions to the Tate Modern and c) extensions to the British Museum.
I wonder why they are doing this all of a sudden?
It is a great thing and every government around the world should invest in promoting their country?s art.

This is a turn around considering the countries lack of money isn't it? Where are they getting the cash for all this from then?

They are talking about cuts in services and VAT and tax rises and yet they have money for this?

Don't get me wrong it is a good thing for sure but still considering the state of the country right now is it appropriate?
SparklyKatie On March 07, 2014
\m//O_O\\m/

Sheffield, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Oct 20, 2009 @ 15:40:14
Nice, considering they gave funding to have a college rebuilt near me up here and then after it'd been demolished cut the funding leaving no college (They could have cut the funding before the bulldozers went in leaving at least the old one). As long as London gets funds though eh. Yeah I think we should fund arts projects but after more important things, makes me sick!
hedkandi1984_21 On July 23, 2013

London, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Oct 20, 2009 @ 17:44:58
Considering the state of the economy and the 1000s of things I can think of that are far more important to invest in, I'm actually really disappointed. art, in my opinion, should be invested in after everything else. They want to cut spending, so why the hell are they investing in art?!
claudibee On November 13, 2009
I will NOT!!

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Oct 21, 2009 @ 09:45:37
I'm very interested in the arts in general, but this is wrong-headed. There again, why am I suprised? The present government is hopeless at prioritizing.
Jeanne On April 23, 2010

London, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Oct 21, 2009 @ 14:49:29
I agree guys. I really have to put this quote in:
(Shadow culture secretary Jeremy Hunt responded to the new plans, saying: "Unless Gordon Brown can explain where this money comes from, this looks like nothing more than a hollow PR stunt." )
Maybe it is just a PR stunt, to say they will support these projects but then do nothing in the end.
Apparently they will also find funding for a visitor centre at Stonehenge and for Yorkshire?s British Library?s newspaper archive. What exactly do they mean with ?finding funding??
SparklyKatie, I am gutted to hear what happened to the college. It is something to be expected from idiots, I?m sorry to say. Who does such a thing? Now the area is worse off than before.
I wonder how many other projects out there are left in ruins?.
Back to the new art ?funding?, I truly believe a country should look after its touristy areas because it will create money for other things. And I also back London job creation in the process BUT have you noticed in what a state our health and nursing is? We need jobs there, and better hospitals and care. This is something that belongs at the top of any country?s list.
This is shocking!!!!
salinaa On May 11, 2010

Surrey, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Oct 21, 2009 @ 16:25:26
I couldnt agree with all of this more!

Your right there Jeanne it is probably just a PR stunt to get the voters lined up! I mean really come on!

As you have said the healthcare system amongst others is suffering and they are talking about things like this - which while they are good should only happen once everything else - CORE services are sorted out properly you know?

Jeanne On April 23, 2010

London, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Oct 22, 2009 @ 15:55:22
I also noticed something about the Mayor of London cutting on some of the planned Olympic jobs. I'll look into it more, but that's just crazy
salinaa On May 11, 2010

Surrey, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Oct 27, 2009 @ 16:16:48
@Jeanne Said

I also noticed something about the Mayor of London cutting on some of the planned Olympic jobs. I'll look into it more, but that's just crazy

Hey? Seriously? How is that possible? The whole point of something like this is to create more jobs surely? Let me know what you find out....
Jeanne On April 23, 2010

London, United Kingdom
#10New Post! Oct 28, 2009 @ 14:28:17
Well,funny enough I can't find the original article but on the East London Advertiser they said the Mayor cut 1.6mil of jobs and skills as well as a 170k programme which would have created employment for disabled people.
The Mayor also cut a 2mil high street project which would have revamped Whitechapel road etc.
These cuts were apparently made because there was a shortfall with London's development budget blah blah blah.
What a shame though. Luckily in the same breath the Mayor will be creating around 20,000 jobs in the Nine Elms area through extending the Northern Line and housing. But I'm sure they could have made sure that disabled Olympic employment isn't scrapped as well.
I don't know how the Gov make their decisions these days...
salinaa On May 11, 2010

Surrey, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Oct 29, 2009 @ 15:54:34
@Jeanne Said

Well,funny enough I can't find the original article but on the East London Advertiser they said the Mayor cut 1.6mil of jobs and skills as well as a 170k programme which would have created employment for disabled people.
The Mayor also cut a 2mil high street project which would have revamped Whitechapel road etc.
These cuts were apparently made because there was a shortfall with London's development budget blah blah blah.
What a shame though. Luckily in the same breath the Mayor will be creating around 20,000 jobs in the Nine Elms area through extending the Northern Line and housing. But I'm sure they could have made sure that disabled Olympic employment isn't scrapped as well.
I don't know how the Gov make their decisions these days...

Hmmmmmm it does seem unfair doesn't it?

Its weird how they make thier decisions isn't it? Cuuting jobs here and then creating more there! It just makes you think! But sometimes they do get it seriously wrong! I am not sure how either! How do they think?

Lets hope whoever gets into government next does a better job hey? Doubtful though as far as I am concerned!
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs