Literary Insults in Bold

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
Ghyda On February 11, 2020

Anaheim, California
#1New Post! Jan 19, 2020 @ 02:28:37
IAGO (to Roderigo)

Come here. They say love makes cowards brave. So if you’re brave, listen to me. Lieutenant Cassio will be on guard duty tonight. But first, I have to tell you that Desdemona’s completely in love with him.

RODERIGO

With Cassio? That’s impossible.

IAGO

Be quiet and listen to me. Remember how she fell madly in love with the Moor because he bragged and told her made-up stories? Did you expect her to keep on loving him for his chattering? You’re too smart to think that. No, she needs someone nice-looking. Othello’s ugly, what pleasure could she find in him? Lovemaking gets boring after a while. To keep things hot, she’ll need to see someone with a handsome face, someone close to her in age, someone who looks and acts like her.

Othello isn’t any of those things. Since he doesn’t have these advantages to make him attractive to her, she’ll get sick of him until he makes her want to puke. She’ll start looking around for a second choice. Now, if that’s true—and it’s obviously true—who’s in a better position than Cassio?

He’s a smooth talker, and uses sophistication and fine manners to hide his lust. Nobody’s as crafty as he is. Besides, he’s young and handsome, and he’s got all the qualities that naïve and silly girls go for. He’s a bad boy, and Desdemona’s got her eye on him already.

RODERIGO

I can’t believe that. She’s not that kind of woman. She’s very moral.

IAGO

Like hell she is! She’s made of the same flesh and blood as everyone else. If she were so moral, she would never have fallen in love with the Moor in the first place. Good lord! Did you notice how she and Cassio were fondling each other’s hands? Did you see that?

Anaheim, California
#2New Post! Jan 19, 2020 @ 19:31:17
JAQUES

Thanks for your company but, really, I would have preferred being alone.

ORLANDO

Me too, but still, for the sake of good manners, I’ll say thanks for your company.

JAQUES

Goodbye. Let’s meet as little as we can.

ORLANDO

I also hope that we can be better strangers.

Anaheim, California
#3New Post! Jan 19, 2020 @ 19:37:53
@Ghyda Said

IAGO (to Roderigo)

Come here. They say love makes cowards brave. So if you’re brave, listen to me. Lieutenant Cassio will be on guard duty tonight. But first, I have to tell you that Desdemona’s completely in love with him.

RODERIGO

With Cassio? That’s impossible.

IAGO

Be quiet and listen to me. Remember how she fell madly in love with the Moor because he bragged and told her made-up stories? Did you expect her to keep on loving him for his chattering? You’re too smart to think that. No, she needs someone nice-looking. Othello’s ugly, what pleasure could she find in him? Lovemaking gets boring after a while. To keep things hot, she’ll need to see someone with a handsome face, someone close to her in age, someone who looks and acts like her.

Othello isn’t any of those things. Since he doesn’t have these advantages to make him attractive to her, she’ll get sick of him until he makes her want to puke. She’ll start looking around for a second choice. Now, if that’s true—and it’s obviously true—who’s in a better position than Cassio?

He’s a smooth talker, and uses sophistication and fine manners to hide his lust. Nobody’s as crafty as he is. Besides, he’s young and handsome, and he’s got all the qualities that naïve and silly girls go for. He’s a bad boy, and Desdemona’s got her eye on him already.

RODERIGO

I can’t believe that. She’s not that kind of woman. She’s very moral.

IAGO

Like hell she is! She’s made of the same flesh and blood as everyone else. If she were so moral, she would never have fallen in love with the Moor in the first place. Good lord! Did you notice how she and Cassio were fondling each other’s hands? Did you see that?

Since Cassio does not here the insult, it is not an insult?

Anaheim, California
#4New Post! Jan 20, 2020 @ 16:39:34
GRATIANO

Oh, you’re going to hell, you disgusting dog. Killing you would be justice. You almost make me forget that I’m a Christian. You make me want to agree with the philosopher Pythagoras that animal souls are reincarnated in human bodies. Your vicious dog soul used to belong to a wolf that was killed for slaughtering humans. When he died, his cruel soul passed out of his body and went into yours while you were lying in your unholy mother’s womb. That’s why your desires are wolfish, bloody, and ravenous.

SHYLOCK

Unless your taunts can undo the signature on my contract, you’re just wearing out your lungs by speaking so loud. Be quiet, boy, or you’ll lose your mind. I stand here with the law on my side.

Anaheim, California
#5New Post! Jan 21, 2020 @ 18:50:46
HENRY, PRINCE of Wales and Sir John FALSTAFF enter.

FALSTAFF

Hal, what time is it, my boy?

PRINCE HENRY

You are so wasted from drinking booze and loosening your pants after lunch and sleeping on benches all afternoon that you don’t even remember how to ask for what you really want to know. What the hell does it matter to you what time it is? Unless hours were glasses of wine, minutes were chickens, clocks were whores' tongues, sundials were whorehouse signs and the sun itself were a hot woman in a flame-colored dress, I don’t see any reason why you would need to know the time.

FALSTAFF

Now you’re talking, Hal. Thieves like us operate at night, by the moon and stars, and not by the sun. I hope, pretty boy, that when you become king, God save your Grace—or maybe I should just call you “Your Majesty,” since you don’t have any grace—

PRINCE HENRY

None?

FALSTAFF

No, I swear. Not even enough to say grace before a snack.

PRINCE HENRY

Come on, out with it. Get to the point.

FALSTAFF

Okay then, pretty boy. When you become king, don’t let those of us who work at night be blamed for wasting daylight by sleeping through it. Give us fancy names: “Servants of the Moon Goddess Diana;” “Gentlemen of Shadows;” “Lunar Laborers.” Make people admire us for being well behaved. After all, we’re governed by the same force that governs the tides—the pale and cool moon, who lights our way as we sneak around.

Anaheim, California
#6New Post! Jan 22, 2020 @ 16:35:47
LYSANDER

(waking up) I’d even run through fire if you told me to. Radiant, beautiful Helena! I feel like Mother Nature has allowed me to see into your heart, as if by magic. Where is Demetrius? Oh, I’d kill that name with my sword if I could!

HELENA

Don’t say that, Lysander. Don’t say that. Why do you care that he loves Hermia? What does it matter? Hermia still loves you, so be happy.

LYSANDER

Happy with Hermia? No. I regret all the boring time I wasted with her. I don’t love Hermia; I love Helena. Who wouldn’t love a dove more than a crow? A man’s desires are influenced by his logical mind, and it’s simply logical that you’re more worthy of love than Hermia is.

Anaheim, California
#7New Post! Jan 23, 2020 @ 16:12:38
ANTIPHOLUS OF SYRACUSE

Hold on a second. Answer me this, please: where’s the money I gave you?

DROMIO OF EPHESUS

Oh, the sixpence you gave me last Wednesday to buy leather goods for my mistress? The saddle maker has it, sir—I didn’t keep it.

ANTIPHOLUS OF SYRACUSE

I’m not in a joking mood. Tell me right now and stop fooling: where’s the money? We’re strangers here. How dare you let such a large amount escape your keeping?

ROMIO OF EPHESUS

Please, sir; crack jokes over lunch. My mistress made me hurry here. If I go back without you, she’ll punish your faults by breaking my head open. I should think that your appetite would act like a clock (as mine does) and bring you home on its own, without the need for a messenger.

ANTIPHOLUS OF SYRACUSE

That’s enough, Dromio, please. This isn’t a good moment for jokes—save them till a happier time. Where’s the gold I gave you?

DROMIO OF EPHESUS

Gave me, sir? You didn’t give me any gold.

ANTIPHOLUS OF SYRACUSE

Come on, you rogue. Quit joking. Tell me what you’ve done with the money I entrusted to you.

Anaheim, California
#8New Post! Jan 24, 2020 @ 16:11:37
HOTSPUR (reading a letter)

“As for me, sir, I would be happy to be there because of the love I bear for your family.”

He would be happy to be here. Well, why isn’t he hare, then? He says he loves my family, but he clearly loves his barn more than our house. I’ll read on.

“Your plan is dangerous.”

That’s true, and it’s also dangerous to catch a cold, to sleep, to drink. But I tell you, my lord fool, we shall pluck a flower of safety from this thorn of danger.

“Your plan is dangerous; your allies untrustworthy; your timing poor; and your whole project too weak to counter so powerful an opponent.”

Is that so? Is that so? I’ll say it once again: you are a stupid, cowardly dog, and a liar. What an idiot this is!

By God, our plan is as good a plan as ever hatched, our allies loyal and firm. A good plan, good allies, and very promising; it’s an excellent plan, very good allies.

What a yellow-bellied fool this is!

Why, the Archbishop of York approves of the plan, and how it’s progressing. Damn! If I were with this imbecile right now, I’d break his head open with his wife’s fan.

Don’t we have my father? And my uncle, and me? Edmund Mortimer, York, and Owen Glendower? And besides, don’t we have Douglas? Haven’t they all sent me letters, promising to meet me with their armies by the ninth of next month? And aren’t some of them on their way already?

What an unbelievable a** this is! Faithless! Ha! Just watch; he’ll run to the King in cold fear and spill our secrets. Oh, I could split myself in two and knock my own self senseless for unfolding this important plan to such a coward.

To hell with him! Let him tell the King; we’re ready. I’ll set off tonight.

Anaheim, California
#9New Post! Jan 25, 2020 @ 15:47:57
PARIS

Tell me honestly, noble Diomedes, given this spirit of friendship, who most deserves to have the beautiful Helen, myself or Menelaus?

DIOMEDES

Both of you equally deserve her. Menelaus deserves her since he is willing to do all this, bringing about a hellish war and costing two countries a massive amount, without caring that she has been spoiled. Equally, you deserve to keep her, since you fight for her without noticing that she is dishonorable, having cost so much money and so many of our friends. He, like a grovelling cuckold, is desperate for someone else's table scraps, and you, like a creep, are willing to father your children with a whore. If you compare the two of you, both of you deserve her the same amount, you're identical except that one of you has the whore.

Anaheim, California
#10New Post! Jan 26, 2020 @ 17:44:33
CLAUDIO

Sweet sister, let me live. Any sin you commit to save a brother’s life, nature will pardon as though it were a good deed.

ISABELLA

Oh, you beast! Treacherous coward! Shameful wretch!

Will you be given your life as a result of my vice? Isn’t it a kind of incest, to gain life from your own sister’s shame? What should I think? God forbid, my mother must have cheated on my father, for such a twisted son as you never could have sprung from his blood! I renounce you—die, perish!

Even if all I had to do was pray on bended knees to stop your execution, I’d let it happen. I’ll pray a thousand prayers for your death, and not one word to save you.

CLAUDIO

No, listen to me, Isabel.

ISABELLA

Oh, shame, shame, shame! Your sin was no one-time accident, but a habit. Granting you mercy would be like pimping, enabling you to do it again. It’s best that you die right away.

CLAUDIO

Oh, listen to me, Isabella!
gakINGKONG On October 18, 2022

, Florida
#11New Post! Jan 27, 2020 @ 01:28:21
This is a little blue.

Anaheim, California
#12New Post! Jan 27, 2020 @ 01:41:28
@gakINGKONG Said

This is a little blue.

I suppose that word qualifies as the ultimate insult for black people.

I don't understand how Camp Town Races qualifies as an insult?

My older black relatives continually tell me how I don't know I'm black. Maybe this is one of those times,
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#13New Post! Jan 27, 2020 @ 05:11:52
Oh, we're on to Shakespeare eh..? Excellent.

He was the master of the insult, and in Elizabethan English too. Even better. Somehow his barbs and put downs always seemed just that little more accurate.... the arrow that pierces not just the body of thine enemy, but goes clean to his heart.

"Villain, I have done thy mother"

Ouch. This is from Titus Andronicus. Chiron chides Aaron with "Thou hast outdone our mother" to which Aaron responds "Villain, I have done thy mother." In modern English the only word that would change is "done" change to "screwed"

That's fighting talk, that is.

"Away, you three inch fool"

From Much Ado About Nothing. Curtis' put down to Grumio. Insulting somebody is much better when it offends their manhood.

"Away, you starvelling, you elf-skin, you dried neat's-tongue, bull's-pizzle, you stock-fish"

Brutal. From Henry IV Pt 1. I couldn't leave out including something by Falstaff. This one was aimed at Prince Henry. No wonder Hal disowned him as a mate when he became King.

Anaheim, California
#14New Post! Jan 27, 2020 @ 21:40:17
@Jennifer1984 Said

Oh, we're on to Shakespeare eh..? Excellent.

He was the master of the insult, and in Elizabethan English too. Even better. Somehow his barbs and put downs always seemed just that little more accurate.... the arrow that pierces not just the body of thine enemy, but goes clean to his heart.

"Villain, I have done thy mother"

Ouch. This is from Titus Andronicus. Chiron chides Aaron with "Thou hast outdone our mother" to which Aaron responds "Villain, I have done thy mother." In modern English the only word that would change is "done" change to "screwed"

That's fighting talk, that is.

"Away, you three inch fool"

From Much Ado About Nothing. Curtis' put down to Grumio. Insulting somebody is much better when it offends their manhood.

"Away, you starvelling, you elf-skin, you dried neat's-tongue, bull's-pizzle, you stock-fish"

Brutal. From Henry IV Pt 1. I couldn't leave out including something by Falstaff. This one was aimed at Prince Henry. No wonder Hal disowned him as a mate when he became King.

When Hal and Falstaff insult each other, do they really mean to insult each other, or are they only playing with each other?

Anaheim, California
#15New Post! Jan 29, 2020 @ 21:42:04
SYLVIA

What, are you angry, Sir Thurio? Is your face turning red?

VALENTINE

Leave him be, madame. He’s just a kind of chameleon.

THURIO

One that would rather feed off your blood, Valentine, than its usual diet of air.

VALENTINE

So you say, sir.

THURIO

Yes, sir, and it’ll be done, too.

VALENTINE

I know it’s done, sir. You always end before you begin.

SYLVIA

A fine volley of words, gentlemen, and quickly fired.

VALENTINE

It is indeed, madame. We have the giver to thank for that.

SYLVIA

And who is the giver, servant?

VALENTINE

Yourself, sweet lady, for you provided the spark that set it off. Sir Thurio gets his witty remarks from your ladyship’s good looks, and appropriately he spends what he borrows in your presence.

THURIO

Sir, if you spar word for word with me, I shall make your wit dry up.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs