Politics

Libertarian Party

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>
ashmaker On April 30, 2004

Cookeville, Tennessee
#1New Post! Mar 10, 2004 @ 06:56:10
Ok, after going to this site, https://www.candidatemap.com , and reading what Gary Nolan stands for i found out i am truly a libertarian. In fact, i am seriously thinking about voting for him in the next election. It will be a very thought out and hard decision to make, but how can i not vote for the candidate i believe in? I wanna thank you fellow Libertarians for pushing me and debating with me. It made me examin my political beliefs.

The only issue i am unsure on his the drug policy. I agree that Legalizing Marajuana should be a state issue. But i have a hard time swallowing a America Where pharmacuidal companies are making and selling coke, crack, heroine, meth, acid, and God knows what else at your local Wallgreens....

Gary Nolan
""Federal drug laws should be repealed, beginning with those against marijuana. States should be free to adopt alternatives to the failed War of Drugs, just as they already do with drugs like alcohol and tobacco.""

"Rowan Scarborough of the THE WASHINGTON TIMES reported that: 'Osama bin Laden's al Qaeda network has become deeply involved in international drug trafficking, using the money to buy arms and, possibly, radioactive material for use in a so-called 'dirty' nuclear bomb, senior U.S. officials say.' If the government would get out of the 'prohibition of drugs' business, respectable pharmaceutical companies would market drugs to adults and al Qaeda would have fewer resources for attacking innocent people all around the world. But that would make too much sense."

Please convience me that Nolan's Drug Policy is the right way to approach the issue.
robre On June 03, 2004

Cookeville, Tennessee
#2New Post! Mar 10, 2004 @ 07:05:01
https://www.adrugwarcarol.com/

It's pretty funny because it's presented in the same style as the handouts you get in grade school. I'll pull together some better stuff tommorrow, but this is all I can remember that covers the entire thing in one go without having to go out and buy an actual book.

Cookeville, Tennessee
#3New Post! Mar 10, 2004 @ 07:08:00
Is there a College Libertarian Group on campus? if not we should petition to make one
belle81 On October 27, 2004

#4New Post! Mar 10, 2004 @ 14:47:23
actually you don't really have to petition to get one started...i have all the information to get a new organization started actually if you are serious about it....
randolpho On April 07, 2004

#5New Post! Mar 10, 2004 @ 15:11:15
Ug... Nothing worse than the Libertarian party.

Well... except the Republican party. And the Democratic Party. And the Green party.

Cookeville, Tennessee
#6New Post! Mar 10, 2004 @ 16:48:40
nice randolph, make a dumb remark and then fail to support. You sure showed us how intellegent you are.
physician On March 15, 2004

Cookeville, Tennessee
#7New Post! Mar 10, 2004 @ 19:57:34
haha, it was called sarcasm/joke/funny haha.
randolpho On April 07, 2004

#8New Post! Mar 11, 2004 @ 04:17:07
Quote:
nice randolph, make a dumb remark and then fail to support. You sure showed us how intellegent you are.

You're right. I left out the Constitution party. And the Communism party. Very stupid of me.
cet On May 10, 2004

#9New Post! Mar 11, 2004 @ 06:41:28
There is a libertarian party on campus, but I have never been able to pin down the person heading it up. If you go to [url]www.lp.org[/url] you can look up local libertarian organizations, including school organizations.

The drug war view looks something like this. When alcohol was prohibited, alcohol use tripled and crime became rampant. When alcohol was legalized, alcohol use dropped by over 50% and continues to drop every year as well as the immediate drop in crime.

When the government started making products like marijuana, cocaine, opium (and later heroin), etc., illegal, we end up with almost exactly the same results that we had with the alcohol prohibition. When you legalize something illegal, the criminals making a living selling the stuff are suddenly out of business.

People don't get shot in turf wars between bar owners today, but they did during the alcohol prohibition. You don't have bar owners trying to sell 5ths of Crown Royal to children either.

Every year our government spends billions on the drug war (half of which is specifically used against marijuana) and what have been the fruits of that war so far? We're losing the war on drugs because it cannot be won. They can't keep drugs out of prison! What the heck makes them think they can keep drugs out of America?

Cookeville, Tennessee
#10New Post! Mar 11, 2004 @ 07:38:36
Woulnd't you agree it should be up to the individual state governments to decide whether or not to legalize drugs?

Good arguement there. It is just wierd for me to think of a wallgreens selling crack but your arguement holds its own.
cet On May 10, 2004

#11New Post! Mar 11, 2004 @ 07:46:17
Being the anti-federalist I am, I think states should be allowed to make that decision and the federal government should shut up, butt out and sit down. If I want to get away from a state that has laws I don't like, that's easy enough, but if I want to get away from a country that has laws I don't like, that's a very difficult matter.

Cookeville, Tennessee
#12New Post! Mar 11, 2004 @ 07:51:56
Tru Tru
talon On November 21, 2004

#13New Post! Mar 11, 2004 @ 08:00:20
well, we stop spending the money on drug awareness, to make more bombs, either way, the money is going to be used somewhere that will make someone pissed, and next thing you know, your on the other side of the argument, such is politics....
cet On May 10, 2004

#14New Post! Mar 11, 2004 @ 08:06:42
Quote:
well, we stop spending the money on drug awareness, to make more bombs, either way, the money is going to be used somewhere that will make someone pissed, and next thing you know, your on the other side of the argument, such is politics....

So you're trying to justify complacency. "Things are basically f'ed up and always will be, so don't bother trying to make things less f'ed up." Nice show of apathy.
talon On November 21, 2004

#15New Post! Mar 11, 2004 @ 08:20:31
yep, things are f***ed up and they always will be, unless some of the people that are complaining all the time get off their asses and try to do something about it, or just take the easy way out and vote for Arnold... I honestly believe that politics is about 85% populartity and the other 15% are people actually trying to do something. You may have people that will be concerned, blah blah blah, but in the end, it will either take years amongst years to do something right (always happens that way too, gotta f*** up before you can get anything perfect) or someone will sit on their a** and say hey, I am the Prez, let's go invade Iraq
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs