Lesbian Households Produce A Child Abuse Rate Of 0%

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 ...7 8 9 · >>
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Jan 10, 2012 @ 13:00:27
https://feministing.com/2010/11/11/new-study-lesbian-households-produce-a-child-abuse-rate-of-0/

So much for the myth that we're not fit to raise a family.
Oisin On January 27, 2012

Glasgow, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Jan 10, 2012 @ 13:53:12
@Jennifer1984 Said

https://feministing.com/2010/11/11/new-study-lesbian-households-produce-a-child-abuse-rate-of-0/

it's rare to have a 0% rate of anything. 0% of cases recorded is fine but you are saying that it never happens then i must disagree.
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#3New Post! Jan 10, 2012 @ 13:54:35
@Oisin Said

it's rare to have a 0% rate of anything. 0% of cases recorded is fine but you are saying that it never happens then i must disagree.

Jennifer failed to discuss the limitations of the study, which is something people are very prone to do when relating information that confirms their opinions.
x_Laura_x On April 02, 2024

Nowhere, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Jan 10, 2012 @ 13:56:07
I'm fully supportive of gay couples being able to adopt children, but this was just 78 cases over 24 years. That doesn't really say anything to me.
Oisin On January 27, 2012

Glasgow, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Jan 10, 2012 @ 14:10:50
@x_Laura_x Said

I'm fully supportive of gay couples being able to adopt children, but this was just 78 cases over 24 years. That doesn't really say anything to me.

in my book, any couple who pass the regulatory tests to adopt, should be allowed to. i could produce stats that say the same thing about any kind of couple given certain cases over a certain period of time. i also still doubt the 0% claim as i have said above.
Dark_Tink On December 30, 2018
<3 Boobie <3

, Canada
#6New Post! Jan 10, 2012 @ 14:18:29
You're going to have parents(regardless of sex or sexual orientation) that are excellent parents. You're also going to have parents(regardless of sex or sexual orientation) that are terrible or abusive parents.

There's no way of getting away from that. What is sad, are homophobes, especially those with any political clout, that firmly believe all, or only gay/lesbian parents are bad and abusive parents. That is definitely not the case.

I do wish though, that these political figures, personal in CAS/CPS or whatever organisation in the different countries(or anyone that wants to see child abuse come to an end)would start doing more over all and not just focus on gay/lesbian parents.

Child abuse has been going on long before gay/lesbians had children through adoption/surrogacy/in-vitro.
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Jan 19, 2012 @ 11:29:23
@Oisin Said

in my book, any couple who pass the regulatory tests to adopt, should be allowed to. i could produce stats that say the same thing about any kind of couple given certain cases over a certain period of time. i also still doubt the 0% claim as i have said above.

Interesting comment, Oisin. On what basis do you disbelieve the outcome of the survey..? As I read it, it was the children who were asked, and they were asked at a time in their life when they would be unlikely to be subjected to parental pressure to lie, or fear any sort of backlash from telling the truth if they had been abused.

If your doubts are just a case of personal skepticism, then that's fine too, but I personally will roll with this survey on the grounds that it was conducted by a seemingly reputable organisation, also, it seems to be the only survey of its kind that has been conducted.... or at least, I can find online. I'd be interested to read the outcome of any other comparable studies that anybody else can link to.

My sentiments about conducting the survey at all are pretty much in tune with the author's comment: While I hate the idea of showing “proof” that lesbian and gay couples are capable of raising healthy families, these kinds of studies are critical in breaking down the myths that are constantly being perpetuated by anti-LGBT culture.

I'm also mindful of x Laura x's comment about this was just 78 cases over 24 years. That doesn't really say anything to me.

Perhaps, Laura, you might consider that when the survey first started, 24 years ago, simply finding 78 cases of parents who were not only gay, but were willing to take part in such a survey would have been quite an achievement in itself. Perhaps you might take that into account.

Perhaps if a similar study were commenced today, it would be possible to find many more who were willing to come forward. A bigger sample may be achievable.

I also agree with Dark Tink's comment along the lines of "Good and bad in all cultures". Couldn't agree more. However, the comment I attached to my OP was quite specific, that I was aiming my remark at those individuals who tell us that we are not fit to be parents simply by virtue of our sexuality.

I have heard, on the grapevine, that another long term survey is also being conducted here in Great Britain, about marriage longevity. This is another one where the results are some way off yet, but I wonder what that will one day say to those who tell us that gay marriages can't last because we're all promiscuous.

I'm aware that the vast majority of people on this site are NOT of an "anti-gay marriage / family" mindset. Most posters here are fair minded and accepting. But there are some who are not and I had thought the anti's might have had something to say about the survey as posted. So far, all I hear from them is a deafening silence.

And that says a lot, too.

fantasticpants On August 26, 2016

Dublin, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Jan 19, 2012 @ 11:50:04
The survey is questionable because it deals with small numbers, all studies have limitations and it goes against all logic that lesbians would somehow be entirely immune to the psychological and domestic issues that lead to abuse.

Just the thought of 0% is silly, because clearly even one instance in the whole world would disproove that. However, in saying that there could be reasoning that backs up the idea that lesbian couples are less likely to abuse.

But it would go against much of the science that to date has shown that adoptive parents have significantly higher rates of abuse. 78 adolescents simply isn't a big enough sample size to make such grand claims. Abuse rates are calculated by collating statistics from hundreds of thousands of families.

On the positive side though it is promising and worthwhile and would suggest that at the very least that negative effects of lesbian parenthood are slight or non existent.
restoreone On January 30, 2022

, Ohio
#9New Post! Jan 19, 2012 @ 12:10:55
@Jennifer1984 Said

This is great to hear we need more good adoptive families.

The count is low for the number of test subjects.

Also fails to take in to a count that abuse can take many many years to report 24 years is nothing. Think of how old some of the victims were in the church before reporting it. The victims may never feel safe to report it.
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#10New Post! Jan 19, 2012 @ 12:15:02
@fantasticpants Said

The survey is questionable because it deals with small numbers, all studies have limitations and it goes against all logic that lesbians would somehow be entirely immune to the psychological and domestic issues that lead to abuse.

Just the thought of 0% is silly, because clearly even one instance in the whole world would disproove that. However, in saying that there could be reasoning that backs up the idea that lesbian couples are less likely to abuse.

But it would go against much of the science that to date has shown that adoptive parents have significantly higher rates of abuse. 78 adolescents simply isn't a big enough sample size to make such grand claims. Abuse rates are calculated by collating statistics from hundreds of thousands of families.

On the positive side though it is promising and worthwhile and would suggest that at the very least that negative effects of lesbian parenthood are slight or non existent.

Nobody suggested anywhere that it proves any of the things you say above. I don't read anything in the article that suggests (quote) lesbians would somehow be entirely immune to the psychological and domestic issues that lead to abuse. That is entirely an interpretation on your part.

The survey is what it is. Its results are what they are. What they do NOT give any succour to is the anti-gay propaganda that gay couples are not fit to be parents solely by virtue of their sexuality.

I personally would welcome other surveys, with a much larger sample because I am quite confident the outcome of those would very likely to be quite consistent with this one. That is just a personal opinion of mine, but within my experience, and without any evidence to the contrary I think it's reasonable to have.

I hope such surveys are carried out in the future and are given the due prominence when their findings are published. Time will tell.

aquine On May 30, 2014
Psalm 2 = Rev 11:15

Banned

Alice SPrings, Australia
#11New Post! Jan 19, 2012 @ 12:18:12
@Jennifer1984 Said

Do lesbian couples reside full-time with the children or is ther some type of shared responsibilities with the biological parent?
BozieFozie On May 19, 2022
Life's a Beach

Paradise, Florida
#12New Post! Jan 19, 2012 @ 12:22:38
@aquine Said

Do lesbian couples reside full-time with the children or is ther some type of shared responsibilities with the biological parent?

Are you referring to the sperm donor as the "biological parent"? I know of one lesbian couple who do share their little girl with her biological father and his partner, actually.
restoreone On January 30, 2022

, Ohio
#13New Post! Jan 19, 2012 @ 12:24:05
@aquine Said

Depends on the adoption most would be 100% no contact or very very little contact.
aquine On May 30, 2014
Psalm 2 = Rev 11:15

Banned

Alice SPrings, Australia
#14New Post! Jan 19, 2012 @ 12:24:26
@Jennifer1984 Said

I assume this study describes only physical abuses.

As the following article shows, the psychological/emotional damage inflicted on children in such households is immeasurable.

https://zombiegazette.com/2011/10/17/lesbian-parents-allow-hormone-treatment-11-year-old-son/
BozieFozie On May 19, 2022
Life's a Beach

Paradise, Florida
#15New Post! Jan 19, 2012 @ 12:25:49
@aquine Said

I assume this study describes only physical abuses.

As the following article shows, the psychological/emotional damage inflicted on children in such households is immeasurable.

https://zombiegazette.com/2011/10/17/lesbian-parents-allow-hormone-treatment-11-year-old-son/

YOU post a link from a rag called "Zombie Gazette"????!!!
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 ...7 8 9 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs