AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 · >>
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#1New Post! Dec 31, 2008 @ 19:19:18
Lawsuit seeks to take 'God' out of inaugural
Some atheists want Barack Obama's inauguration ceremony to leave out references to God and religion. In a lawsuit, the plaintiffs demand the words "So help me God" not be added to the end of the oath of office. The plaintiffs say they are being forced to choose between not watching the inauguration or watching endorsements of "purely religious notions."

https://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/12/31/inauguration.lawsuit/index.html

I look at that last sentence and all I can think is "ok, so you have a choice. Don't watch it. Where's the problem?"

Then I think "self-righteous jackass."
El_Tino On October 12, 2023
booyaka!

Albuquerque, New Mexico
#2New Post! Dec 31, 2008 @ 19:22:16
Hey it would be awesome if they left god out of it.

But they won't, and they're entitled to bring it in if they want.

So, that person can just cry themselves to sleep.
cGobla On March 15, 2018

Polcenigo, Italy
#3New Post! Dec 31, 2008 @ 19:22:30
I'm atheist and I think the suers are ridiculus
Kasabian On May 25, 2009

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Dec 31, 2008 @ 19:22:33
they could always add the word 'Science'

So help me God and Science..... kinda has a ring about it.
skottie On September 23, 2009

Deleted

, Texas
#5New Post! Dec 31, 2008 @ 19:24:59
I could give a rats a** if obama says it or not.

I say that the person being elected can decide to say what they want. So if an atheist was elected, they can choose to not say the words.
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#6New Post! Dec 31, 2008 @ 19:25:33
@Kasabian Said

they could always add the word 'Science'

So help me God and Science..... kinda has a ring about it.

I'm an atheist, and I would have a problem with adding the word "Science" to it. At least God makes sense. And the dude claims to be Christian and believe in God, so who cares?

If your worldview is so fragile that merely hearing someone mention the word God causes enough distress to make you turn off the TV and sue people, then you have bigger problems.

Now, if they told Obama that he couldn't take office unless he asked for God's help, that'd be another story. And Obama would be the one who would sue, not some random yahoos because they're jackasses who just can't stand to see an admittedly-Christian person say God.

Maybe they'll sue The 700 Club next, for forcing them to make the choice between changing the channel and hearing about God.
Kasabian On May 25, 2009

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Dec 31, 2008 @ 19:27:01
@jonnythan Said

I'm an atheist, and I would have a problem with adding the word "Science" to it. At least God makes sense. And the dude claims to be Christian and believe in God, so who cares?

If your worldview is so fragile that merely hearing someone mention the word God causes enough distress to make you turn off the TV and sue people, then you have bigger problems.

Now, if they told Obama that he couldn't take office unless he asked for God's help, that'd be another story. And Obama would be the one who would sue, not some random yahoos because they're jackasses who just can't stand to see an admittedly-Christian person say God.

Maybe they'll sue The 700 Club next, for forcing them to make the choice between changing the channel and hearing about God.

doesnt science cure diseases?
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#8New Post! Dec 31, 2008 @ 19:27:37
@Kasabian Said

doesnt science cure diseases?

No. Therapies and medications cure diseases.
spellchick On October 02, 2012
Go away, I'm baitin'

, Oklahoma
#9New Post! Dec 31, 2008 @ 19:28:31
I think there are just some people that need to complain about SOMETHING. I come from a family of those people and no matter what happens in their lives, something is always wrong or someone's slighted them. Get over it already.
Selene_Dendawga On August 13, 2009

Rocklin, California
#10New Post! Dec 31, 2008 @ 19:30:01
I think if they removed the word "God" it would be one step closer to getting a President that isn't Christian. But I don't see that happening in my lifetime.

I remember before the election many people would say he's Muslim and that's why they're not voting for him.

I agree though. It's HIS choice to say God or not, not some random bystander. If you're offended, close your ears.
booyaka!

Albuquerque, New Mexico
#11New Post! Dec 31, 2008 @ 19:30:50
If I were Obama, I would say "So help me donkey", and bring a donkey with me.
spellchick On October 02, 2012
Go away, I'm baitin'

, Oklahoma
#12New Post! Dec 31, 2008 @ 19:32:41
@Selene_Dendawga Said

I think if they removed the word "God" it would be one step closer to getting a President that isn't Christian. But I don't see that happening in my lifetime.

I remember before the election many people would say he's Muslim and that's why they're not voting for him.

I agree though. It's HIS choice to say God or not, not some random bystander. If you're offended, close your ears.

Would it matter if we DID elect someone who isn't a Christian?
cepreeper On January 31, 2009

Grand Rapids, Michigan
#13New Post! Dec 31, 2008 @ 19:32:47
well i think that its kinda messed to have god in there anyway, cause, and correct me if im wrong, but in the constitution, it says that congress will make no law establishing a religion, or prohibiting there of. its worded something like that im not sure on the exact wording, but i dont think that its right for them to say so help me god, or even in the pledge of alligence, where it says one nation, under god. I think it should say something like, one nation, under the heavens. At the very least its saying under the skys, or the clouds, not attaching it to any specific religion.
MlissaBeth On February 13, 2013
Wait for it!

Tucson, Arizona
#14New Post! Dec 31, 2008 @ 19:33:14
Wow that's pretty um well, ridiculous.
booyaka!

Albuquerque, New Mexico
#15New Post! Dec 31, 2008 @ 19:34:46
@cepreeper Said

well i think that its kinda messed to have god in there anyway, cause, and correct me if im wrong, but in the constitution, it says that congress will make no law establishing a religion, or prohibiting there of. its worded something like that im not sure on the exact wording, but i dont think that its right for them to say so help me god, or even in the pledge of alligence, where it says one nation, under god. I think it should say something like, one nation, under the heavens. At the very least its saying under the skys, or the clouds, not attaching it to any specific religion.

Well, then according to the constitution you can't prohibit Obama from exercising his religious freedom.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs