Kids write Santa this year for basic needs instead of toys

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 4 · >>
white_swan53 On October 07, 2020

n/a, New Mexico
#1New Post! Dec 15, 2010 @ 11:18:38
Quote:
Santa Claus and his elves are seeing more heartbreaking letters this year as children cite their parents' economic troubles in their wish lists.
U.S. Postal Service workers who handle letters addressed to Santa at the North Pole say more letters ask for basics ? coats, socks and shoes ? rather than Barbie dolls, video games and computers.

At New York City's main post office, Head Elf Pete Fontana and 22 staff elves will sort 2 million letters in Operation Santa, which connects needy children with "Secret Santas" who answer their wishes.

Fontana, a customer relations coordinator for the Postal Service, has been head elf for 15 years.

"The need is greater this year than I've ever seen it," he says. "One little girl didn't want anything for herself. She wanted a winter coat for her mother."

https://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2010-12-15-1Asantaletters15_ST_N.htm?csp=24
The article goes on to say that parents are writing some of those 'letters to Santa , asking for toys and gifts saying they can't afford to buy any. one mom sent a shut off notice for her electricity .
BozieFozie On May 19, 2022
Life's a Beach

Paradise, Florida
#2New Post! Dec 15, 2010 @ 12:31:22
This is the saddest thing I've read in a long time! I'm grateful for all I have, and am constantly giving things away. Took a pile of extra blankets down to the homeless shelter yesterday.....they were received like manna from heaven!!!
boxerdc On December 18, 2012

Deleted

#3New Post! Dec 15, 2010 @ 13:10:09
I need to donate some shoes.. In great shape, and really nice, but I never wear them any more.

Sadly, the only two places close by that would take them are the baptist church that regularly preaches against homosexuality, and the salvation army, which routinely denied food and assistance to people with HIV/AIDS for the first decade of the crisis..

So, I won't give to either of them. I'm just going to have to take a trip directly to a shelter this weekend.
boobagins On August 03, 2013
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#4New Post! Dec 15, 2010 @ 13:30:30
It's true.

I did 5 Angle Bag Gifts this year for the kids in the local orphanages and foster homes...

And I was buying more necessities like school uniforms, shoes, gloves, hats and even undergarments.

I did buy some toys too...but necessities where the top priority that they asked for.
x_Laura_x On April 02, 2024

Nowhere, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Dec 15, 2010 @ 13:43:27
That's really sad to read.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Dec 15, 2010 @ 13:51:49
f***ing bankers
crazychica On March 13, 2011
A taste of insanity

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Dec 15, 2010 @ 14:08:14
That's it. I'm definately putting a toy in the ASDA collection for kids thingy. I hate to think of someone going without and I'm with JMO, I hate banks and bankers. I'm also finding my hatred for capitalism rising again. I just wish we had a better system that actually works.

Deleted

#8New Post! Dec 15, 2010 @ 14:10:20
@crazychica Said

I just wish we had a better system that actually works.

We do.. it's called "People like us".
A taste of insanity

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Dec 15, 2010 @ 14:12:36
@boxerdc Said

We do.. it's called "People like us".

I don't get it.
white_swan53 On October 07, 2020

n/a, New Mexico
#10New Post! Dec 15, 2010 @ 14:13:15
@boxerdc Said

I need to donate some shoes.. In great shape, and really nice, but I never wear them any more.

Sadly, the only two places close by that would take them are the baptist church that regularly preaches against homosexuality, and the salvation army, which routinely denied food and assistance to people with HIV/AIDS for the first decade of the crisis..

So, I won't give to either of them. I'm just going to have to take a trip directly to a shelter this weekend.

This sort of thing really pisses me off, here you have good usable items and the inclination to donate them to someone that can get some good from them and your choices are limited to 'charities'(I use that word loosely) that would and do turn their 'christian' backs not only on people in need but also on the people who would help those in need . F**KERS!!!!!
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Dec 15, 2010 @ 14:17:05
@crazychica Said

That's it. I'm definately putting a toy in the ASDA collection for kids thingy. I hate to think of someone going without and I'm with JMO, I hate banks and bankers. I'm also finding my hatred for capitalism rising again. I just wish we had a better system that actually works.

No system works, not even capitalism.

360 million people have died from hunger and remedial diseases in the last 20 years. That's more than all the wars of the entire 20th century put together.
A taste of insanity

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
#12New Post! Dec 15, 2010 @ 14:19:29
@jmo Said

360 million people have died from hunger and remedial diseases in the last 20 years. That's more than all the wars of the entire 20th century put together.

It works better than others. It's like democracy. It's not perfect but no-one's found a better working system yet.

Deleted

#13New Post! Dec 15, 2010 @ 14:23:42
@crazychica Said

I don't get it.

The people like us who actually take the time to do something that makes the lives of other people that we don't know better, simply because it's the right thing to do ARE the system that is good and works well.

We can only hope that more join in each year.

Deleted

#14New Post! Dec 15, 2010 @ 14:25:07
@jmo Said

And through the charity of strangers, exactly how many lived? Try to look on the positive side for a change.

Deleted

#15New Post! Dec 15, 2010 @ 14:27:48
@white_swan53 Said

This sort of thing really pisses me off, here you have good usable items and the inclination to donate them to someone that can get some good from them and your choices are limited to 'charities'(I use that word loosely) that would and do turn their 'christian' backs not only on people in need but also on the people who would help those in need . F**KERS!!!!!

Meh... I'll still donate them.. I'll just do it directly, so they don't get the credit.

For the record, my personal beliefs are that "I" don't get the credit either.. I don't believe that people should be rewarded for doing the right thing, I think that a truly good deed is anonymous and gets no recognition.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 4 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs