Kids today!!

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 · >>
treacle On July 11, 2009

B/Stoke, United Kingdom
#17New Post! Nov 14, 2007 @ 11:22:15
@markfox01 Said
One day a year.. well not even that one lesson a year for sex ed.

Exactly. Not enough.

Im sorry Mitzi but I think you need to go away and do some surveys on what exactly the kids are learning in schools. Because from what you have written about, and how you believe kids are being taught enough is clearly wrong. The amount of underage pregnancies says all you need to know.

If kids where taught of the consequences of unprotected sex and how to prevent them, I think you would see a drop in unwanted & underage pregnancies and a fall in the amount of STIs.

Clamydia is an STI thats made a increase in the UK. You cant honestly tell me you think kids are getting the education they should be?!? You cant also be telling me that you think if children were given a proper education in these areas that these figures wouldnt fall???
markfox01 On October 23, 2021
innit!

Welshman in Brum.., United Kin
#18New Post! Nov 14, 2007 @ 11:23:59
I think the control max is talking about is the when the kids miss behave in public and they need to be in order for there own safety and others.
mollymalone On March 01, 2008

Deleted

Muff, Ireland
#20New Post! Nov 14, 2007 @ 11:28:18
The reason kids are like they are today is because of Parenting. Or the lack of it.

Ok we are not allowed to smack our kids, teachers cannot slap them etc, but there are other ways to discipline children, and I firmly believe many of these kids are not being disciplined at home.

I have admitted before to slapping my kids on the legs or hands, but, I have also given them a choice of punishment and hard as it was, I carried it out.

When they did something wrong I would offer two choices e.g either not out to play, or no computer games in their room. I made them pick their own punishment, and then when they complained my reply was you picked your own punishment - not me..... and it did work.

Ok chldren dont come with a manual, but I feel that since the goverenment have banned slapping kids then ALL parents should be made go on a parenting course.

When my youngest child was at playgroup, the leader of that group organised a parenting course run by Veritas for parents. I did attend it for the six weeks and it was excellent.

It provided help in discipline, sickness, etc all thngs involving children from when they where born until they went to school.
treacle On July 11, 2009

B/Stoke, United Kingdom
#22New Post! Nov 14, 2007 @ 11:37:21
I dont think anyones saying its essential that they are able to hit their children.

More that its a choice that we should have.

I have said this before, all children are different. Some may respond well to a smack, others may laugh in your face. Others are better punished by taking away favourite toys etc.

I can only speak from my experience. And smacking taught me boundries, not to push it, respect for my mother, father and siblings.
knotme On March 20, 2016

London, United Kingdom
#25New Post! Nov 14, 2007 @ 11:50:11
@angelcake Said
why the hell should you control a child?! i agree that disciplining is difficult especially for teachers etc but you should never 'control' another human being it's wrong. Basically its the parents job to teach them right from wrong and that doing something wrong has consequences, not to get the kids to do whatever they want.

Depends what is meant by control. There has to be a degree of control so the children know who is in charge. If the child is the one in charge (as can be seen quite often nowadays) then it's not good as the child isn't experienced enough to know what is right or wrong, or indeed what is safe for him/her.

What is wrong is when a child is told what to think. IMO, we parents can only impart our own knowledge and experience and then we should leave our children to make their own minds up as and when they're old enough.
markfox01 On October 23, 2021
innit!

Welshman in Brum.., United Kin
#26New Post! Nov 14, 2007 @ 12:00:40
@mitzi Said

I totaly agree there needs to be more education about it, and the goverment need to fund this

Your right they do. but the government are all for short term solutions to look good. what we as a people need to do, is educate our kids as parents.
mitzi On November 18, 2007

Essex, United Kingdom
#27New Post! Nov 14, 2007 @ 12:03:25
@knotme Said
Depends what is meant by control. There has to be a degree of control so the children know who is in charge. If the child is the one in charge (as can be seen quite often nowadays) then it's not good as the child isn't experienced enough to know what is right or wrong, or indeed what is safe for him/her.

What is wrong is when a child is told what to think. IMO, we parents can only impart our own knowledge and experience and then we should leave our children to make their own minds up as and when they're old enough.

very good point

the only thing there is knowing when the child is old enough lol...alot of kids mature quicker than others

it makes me cringe when I see youngsters swearing and abusing their mums,because there is no respect!
I see a few kids mocking an old lady in her motorised scooter, shouting get a license etc, it made my blood boil!!
what is happening to the youth of today?
donna_j On January 29, 2008

Adelaide, Australia
#28New Post! Nov 14, 2007 @ 12:03:50
I think it sounds like the echoes of our parents, grand parents, great grandparents etc etc. This has been said since well before the times of Ancient Greece.

I worry when I hear people say that parents have no right to discipline their kids - since when?! My son is well behaved, well mannered and disciplined straight away when he steps over the line as have the rest of my family and lots of other families!

Most kids are good, most parents are trying to do their hardest to bring up their kids well. I think all of this "parents are doing a crap job; kids are all misbehaved little brats these days" is doing nothing but making parents less and less confident and more fearful.
treacle On July 11, 2009

B/Stoke, United Kingdom
#30New Post! Nov 14, 2007 @ 12:07:00
@markfox01 Said
Your right they do. but the government are all for short term solutions to look good. what we as a people need to do, is educate our kids as parents.

Yes. I agree. But what about children who dont have parents? Who are in the care system untill 16? I know you think im splitting hairs but since so many of our kids end up in care now it needs to be thought about. How about the children who do not get on well with their parents? Or perhaps a single parent dad? i wouldnt wanna talk to my dad about sex ed.

And the sad truth is there are alot of parents that simply dont care.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs