Karen Matthews

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
claudibee On November 13, 2009
I will NOT!!

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Dec 10, 2008 @ 14:01:11
Just listening to a radio report about the Shannon Matthews trial. One of the UK newspapers apparently described the Dewsbury estate on which she lives as being like Beirut. Does anybody get a little fed up with the capacity of the gutter press for exaggeration?
Clayhead On January 04, 2009

Stoke on Trent, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Dec 10, 2008 @ 14:29:54
@claudibee Said

Does anybody get a little fed up with the capacity of the gutter press for exaggeration?

Yes.
I will NOT!!

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Dec 10, 2008 @ 14:31:05
@Clayhead Said

Yes.

Thank you. Succint and no exaggeration.
Kasabian On May 25, 2009

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Dec 10, 2008 @ 15:33:17
Wish the government would drop a bomb on the whole estate like they do beirut, there wouldn't be a much mourning going on.
markfox01 On October 23, 2021
innit!

Welshman in Brum.., United Kin
#5New Post! Dec 10, 2008 @ 16:17:44
all people that are on benefits will get reviewed in the next few years.. places and people like karen matthews will slowly be made to get jobs and sober up... the press in my opinion have a very accurate focus on these estates.

But ask yourself this... why they have this perception..
I will NOT!!

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Dec 10, 2008 @ 16:28:36
@markfox01 Said

all people that are on benefits will get reviewed in the next few years.. places and people like karen matthews will slowly be made to get jobs and sober up... the press in my opinion have a very accurate focus on these estates.

But ask yourself this... why they have this perception..

One reason that I asked is because I used to live on a very bad estate in Salford. Even though there were a lot of worrying people living there, I also came across a lot of decent families, some working, children with two parents, criminally inclined etc. In other words, although it was rough in parts it did have areas where people were getting on with their lives in a quiet, law-abiding way. Maybe the estate in Dewsbury is bad in parts or in total, but describing it as akin to Beirut understates what happens in the Middle East and/or makes the estate sound like a no-go area. Is this the case or have reports been exaggerated? I wonder what people on that estate feel about the description? Genuine question, by the way.
I will NOT!!

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Dec 10, 2008 @ 16:29:40
@claudibee Said

One reason that I asked is because I used to live on a very bad estate in Salford. Even though there were a lot of worrying people living there, I also came across a lot of decent families, some working, children with two parents, criminally inclined etc. In other words, although it was rough in parts it did have areas where people were getting on with their lives in a quiet, law-abiding way. Maybe the estate in Dewsbury is bad in parts or in total, but describing it as akin to Beirut understates what happens in the Middle East and/or makes the estate sound like a no-go area. Is this the case or have reports been exaggerated? I wonder what people on that estate feel about the description? Genuine question, by the way.

The above is supposed to read 'not criminally inclined', in case you hadn't guessed.
Clayhead On January 04, 2009

Stoke on Trent, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Dec 11, 2008 @ 15:44:36
@claudibee Said

The above is supposed to read 'not criminally inclined', in case you hadn't guessed.

That's what I thought you meant
crazychica On March 13, 2011
A taste of insanity

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Dec 11, 2008 @ 15:49:12
I hate it when the press do this. Where my parents live (and my official address) is probably one of the worst areas in our town. But we're not all junkies living on benefits. There are a lot of harworking people down there and several actually own their houses not to mention that a few kids from there have gone to uni. But the idea perpetuated by people is that our area is a slum in serious need of regeneration (and none of those projects for our area have worked) and that we are all junkie-alcoholics living on benefits. It sucks.
alexkidd On February 07, 2012
Captain Awesome!

Deleted

in a bog, Ireland
#10New Post! Dec 11, 2008 @ 15:57:07
i switched off after the called the recession an 'economic bloodbath'
i mean come on.
I will NOT!!

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Dec 11, 2008 @ 16:10:38
@crazychica Said

I hate it when the press do this. Where my parents live (and my official address) is probably one of the worst areas in our town. But we're not all junkies living on benefits. There are a lot of harworking people down there and several actually own their houses not to mention that a few kids from there have gone to uni. But the idea perpetuated by people is that our area is a slum in serious need of regeneration (and none of those projects for our area have worked) and that we are all junkie-alcoholics living on benefits. It sucks.

Exactly, so very unfair to a lot of people and inaccurate. As if the papers care.
boxerdc On December 18, 2012

Deleted

#12New Post! Dec 11, 2008 @ 16:15:33
@claudibee Said

Exactly, so very unfair to a lot of people and inaccurate. As if the papers care.

Alright then..
I'm eleven posts down, and I'm assuming that you Brits refer to an apartment housing complex as an "estate"?

Because living on an estate here in the "states", is a pretty nice thing. We tend to think of Windsor Castle as an estate property..

Am I heading in the right direction? ( I know, you're all wishing there was a way to block those stupid Americans )
alexkidd On February 07, 2012
Captain Awesome!

Deleted

in a bog, Ireland
#13New Post! Dec 11, 2008 @ 16:21:18
@boxerdc Said

Alright then..
I'm eleven posts down, and I'm assuming that you Brits refer to an apartment housing complex as an "estate"?

Because living on an estate here in the "states", is a pretty nice thing. We tend to think of Windsor Castle as an estate property..

Am I heading in the right direction? ( I know, you're all wishing there was a way to block those stupid Americans )

hmm,an estate is usually a collection of individual houses, not usually a block of flats.
in this regard the mean more a 'council estate' which is a collection of government owned houses that are given to families in need,they're commonly not great areas to be in and can be pretty bad in regards crime and drug use.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs