Forums:
Relationships

Just for show

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
1970sgirl On August 22, 2017

, Michigan
#1New Post! Aug 22, 2017 @ 14:38:14
Hello. I'm new to this website. After what just happened I had to talk to someone else. There are other friends I could speak with, but, the way things are at my home it's almost impossible to call anyone because my mother would be listening in. She does that with my father's calls, even, business.

What just happened though is getting so ridiculous and I'm wondering if it happens to anyone else, and, if there is anything that can be done to fix it.

First of all, I'm 44 years old and still living at home. My condition is medical that is keeping me from being on my own at this time, however, once it is fixed, I'm out of here!!

My parents just celebrated their anniversary, had the other two children over, and we all spent the weekend together. Everything had to be "perfect", which means, clean, in order, and, of course. everyone had to dress properly.

Of course my parents didn't argue at all (unless they did once they went to bed), and, every morning was a put on - perfect breakfast, the table fixed nice, and so on - this NEVER happens when no one else is here.

As each child left, it slowly got back to normal - this meant, a little more arguing between the two of them, no perfect breakfasts, lunches, dinners, etc. The table slowly got back to its own self which meant, papers piling up, unread mail, and so on.

Once my brother left, it was back to normal, and, no one was really speaking to one another.

This morning really got to me though as I am just so sick of this all. We have two different phone lines in the house - one for my dad's business and the other for home.

My father is sitting in "his chair", watching is news, and looking like he's in another world - eyes not even focused on anything really. My mother is doing her laundry, and then says she's going to sit down for a little bit. Not a problem there with her, but, she'll complain later that she should didn't have time for anything today because she sat down.

The phone rings though. I'm in my room, with a movie on, and, my room is about halfway down the house, which, is about halfway away from both phones. I do not have the receivers in my room as I do not need them.

Anyway, the phone rings. I hear it. Wait. The second ring, third ring, then nothing. No answer even left on the machine. I go out to the living room - my dad is still staring into space. My mother is sitting on the couch with her precious cell phone, and either texting or on Facebook mouthing her political crap. Both phones are about 100 feet away.

I asked them if either one heard the phone - my father says, "Huh, what phone call?" My mother says, "Oh, let the machine get it."

I told them that I would keep both receivers in my room for the day. My mother's like, "Why? Let the machine get it."

Now, my sister is sick, her sons are sick, sister-in-law is sick, all after the weekend - had something to eat that got to us all - I'm even sick. But, who cares if one of them calls and it's more serious than sore throats, throwing up, and loose bowels. They both just need either the t.v. or Facebook.

What can I do to relax myself? Because of my medical condition I cannot drive at this time. We all moved to a new area about 500 miles away from our other house, and, no one has had a chance to socialize than anyone else but family.

I would appreciate any advice anyone can give me.

Thanks so much.
psycoskunk On December 24, 2020
Funky-Footed Skunk

A fort made of stinky socks, C
#2New Post! Aug 22, 2017 @ 17:49:34
That's really rough. Especially when you're more or less stuck living with them and it's clear that they're not as fond of each other as they used to be. Even worse is that it sounds like they're making no attempts to acknowledge their predicament or change it, which really sucks.

I wish I could offer some better advice, but all I can really think of is maybe suggesting to them that they go to couple's therapy or something. Try and work out their differences. They use the TV and Facebook as distractions so they don't have to talk to or confront one another, but all they're doing is putting it off and making things worse as time goes on.

I hope things resolve for you in a positive way, and welcome to TFS.
Justpassing On February 03, 2021

Avoca Vic Australia, Australia
#3New Post! Oct 09, 2017 @ 23:12:26
@1970sgirl Said

Hello. I'm new to this website. After what just happened I had to talk to someone else. There are other friends I could speak with, but, the way things are at my home it's almost impossible to call anyone because my mother would be listening in. She does that with my father's calls, even, business.

What just happened though is getting so ridiculous and I'm wondering if it happens to anyone else, and, if there is anything that can be done to fix it.

First of all, I'm 44 years old and still living at home. My condition is medical that is keeping me from being on my own at this time, however, once it is fixed, I'm out of here!!

My parents just celebrated their anniversary, had the other two children over, and we all spent the weekend together. Everything had to be "perfect", which means, clean, in order, and, of course. everyone had to dress properly.

Of course my parents didn't argue at all (unless they did once they went to bed), and, every morning was a put on - perfect breakfast, the table fixed nice, and so on - this NEVER happens when no one else is here.

As each child left, it slowly got back to normal - this meant, a little more arguing between the two of them, no perfect breakfasts, lunches, dinners, etc. The table slowly got back to its own self which meant, papers piling up, unread mail, and so on.

Once my brother left, it was back to normal, and, no one was really speaking to one another.

This morning really got to me though as I am just so sick of this all. We have two different phone lines in the house - one for my dad's business and the other for home.

My father is sitting in "his chair", watching is news, and looking like he's in another world - eyes not even focused on anything really. My mother is doing her laundry, and then says she's going to sit down for a little bit. Not a problem there with her, but, she'll complain later that she should didn't have time for anything today because she sat down.

The phone rings though. I'm in my room, with a movie on, and, my room is about halfway down the house, which, is about halfway away from both phones. I do not have the receivers in my room as I do not need them.

Anyway, the phone rings. I hear it. Wait. The second ring, third ring, then nothing. No answer even left on the machine. I go out to the living room - my dad is still staring into space. My mother is sitting on the couch with her precious cell phone, and either texting or on Facebook mouthing her political crap. Both phones are about 100 feet away.

I asked them if either one heard the phone - my father says, "Huh, what phone call?" My mother says, "Oh, let the machine get it."

I told them that I would keep both receivers in my room for the day. My mother's like, "Why? Let the machine get it."

Now, my sister is sick, her sons are sick, sister-in-law is sick, all after the weekend - had something to eat that got to us all - I'm even sick. But, who cares if one of them calls and it's more serious than sore throats, throwing up, and loose bowels. They both just need either the t.v. or Facebook.

What can I do to relax myself? Because of my medical condition I cannot drive at this time. We all moved to a new area about 500 miles away from our other house, and, no one has had a chance to socialize than anyone else but family.

I would appreciate any advice anyone can give me.

Thanks so much.

I wouldn't be surprised if the environment you live in is partly the cause of 'sickness' in more ways than one.

Sorry but I'd be looking for a way out as quickly as possible.
Sweet_Merry On October 01, 2023
One day. . . I will

Building my Castles in the Sky
#4New Post! Oct 11, 2017 @ 05:52:36
Your question is what do you do to relax?

Nothing. You do nothing and realize they're actions are not your responsibility. If they relax by staring into space or on Facebook, then that is their happy place right now. Don't scowl at them and hold in anger and frustration.

Think how hard it is to change your own habits and then realize how much harder it would be to change someone else's habits (I think I read that somewhere )

Smile...

If you're going to choose a day, choose a Good Day.

Yes, my whole young life was only "perfect" when other people were around. When it was just us it was the whole ugly mess. The anger I held, the grudge I built up did nothing for me nor them.

I hope you all feel better quickly.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs