Religion & Philosophy

Jesus did not die on a cross

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 ...11 12 13 · >>
boxerdc On December 18, 2012

Deleted

#1New Post! Jun 26, 2010 @ 21:56:22
Jesus may not have died nailed to the cross because there is no evidence that the Romans crucified prisoners two thousand years ago, a scholar has claimed.

This should send a few people here right over the edge!

Also, it's unlikely that he rose from the dead after three days in his crypt, because the Romans left the crucified dead out in the open for animals to eat.

Discuss..
SparklyKatie On March 07, 2014
\m//O_O\\m/

Sheffield, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Jun 26, 2010 @ 21:58:02

davii On January 14, 2013
I'm Awesome

Deleted

London, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Jun 26, 2010 @ 21:58:35
*sits and awaits Aquine*

hazuki0chan On July 18, 2012
Zombie Slayer

San Francisco, California
#4New Post! Jun 26, 2010 @ 22:06:26
ninozara On April 30, 2020

Cheshire, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Jun 26, 2010 @ 22:13:46
As far as the crypt thing, didn't his disciples essentially steal his body and prepare it/put it in the crypt? The Roman guarding his got a bit freaked by the darkness and tearing cloth on one of the buildings when he died, and let them take his body. If I'm remembering it correctly anyway... looooong time since I studied the bible

But it would be VERY interesting if that were the case. We know that the bible has been edited over the years for the churches benefit, things have been left out, added in and the meanings changed.

And, the Romans had a good grasp of language, and the rich were educated, they employed scribes so even many servants could read and write. If this sort of thing happened a lot, it would make sense for it to be recorded.
SparklyKatie On March 07, 2014
\m//O_O\\m/

Sheffield, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Jun 26, 2010 @ 22:16:20
Didn't the disciples give different timings for when he 'rose from the dead'?
mousebox On February 04, 2022

Tickle Harbour, Canada
#7New Post! Jun 26, 2010 @ 22:47:06
@boxerdc Said

Jesus may not have died nailed to the cross because there is no evidence that the Romans crucified prisoners two thousand years ago, a scholar has claimed.

Also, it's unlikely that he rose from the dead after three days in his crypt, because the Romans left the crucified dead out in the open for animals to eat.

Discuss..

Oh good I was worried about that!
KAMPA On October 28, 2013
Admiral Karl Donuts

Uhlan Bator, Mongolia
#8New Post! Jun 26, 2010 @ 22:59:37
Many of the legonaries in the eastern Roman Empire were adherants of the Mithratic cult. This cult originated in Persia,Mithras is always shown mounted on a horse dressed in
nomadic clothing! Like the Sikhs of India members of the Mithratic cult swore to intervene on the side of the underdog in an unequal,unfair fight. In the relevent scripture it says the soldier stuck him in the right side,and that blood then lymph flowed. A Roman soldier would have an intimate knowledge of fatal and non fatal wounds,and would have known where he could stab someone but not kill him.
At this time most of the Roman Legions were foreigners and not from the Italian Peninsula. But evidence has been found in Rome of Mithratic rituals in underground caves.
Admiral Karl Donuts

Uhlan Bator, Mongolia
#9New Post! Jun 26, 2010 @ 23:20:23
In every other part of the Roman Empire the crucified person was only tied onto the cross. Judea is the only place
where it is known that crucified persons were nailed,this has only come to light recently after an ankle bone with a large nail in it had
been found at Golgotha (the place of skulls) the place where Jesus was putatively crucified.
The revolt of the Essenes was what prompted the Romans to use this harsher form of crucifixion. A person who is crucified dies of suffocation,because the entire weight of the body eventually overcomes the persons ability to hold themself up, and puts all of the pressure on the throat!
Admiral Karl Donuts

Uhlan Bator, Mongolia
#10New Post! Jun 26, 2010 @ 23:26:44
It is stated that Spartacus and other rebellious slaves were crucified on one of the roads leading to Rome. And after death their bodies were left to rot on the crosses they were crucified upon.
Admiral Karl Donuts

Uhlan Bator, Mongolia
#11New Post! Jun 26, 2010 @ 23:32:45
@SparklyKatie Said

Didn't the disciples give different timings for when he 'rose from the dead'?

I believe the disciples only came 10 days later and found him casting a net into Galilee! I think that is very telling and it leads me to believe that he was not dead!
aquine On May 30, 2014
Psalm 2 = Rev 11:15

Banned

Alice SPrings, Australia
#12New Post! Jun 27, 2010 @ 02:50:31
@boxerdc Said

Discuss..

The legend of his execution is based on the traditions of the Christian church and artistic illustrations

The funniest thing is that some people read this article and think 'see, it's all coming out now, people are beginning to find out the truth'. But the truth is that people have been coming up with these falsehoods since the day the resurrection took place.

You see for 260 years it was a lawful act to execute a person preaching the Gospel of the resurrection. But that never stopped them. Actually, the Gospel was being accepted by so many peeople that the Roman Emperor of the day pulled one of the greatest, if not the greatest, political manouevre ever known.

He legalised the religion that would not die, the state took control of it, and the world began to worship the Roman Catholic Church.

1 Corinthians 15:12-26
Now if Christ be preached that he rose from the dead, how say some among you that there is no resurrection of the dead?
[13] But if there be no resurrection of the dead, then is Christ not risen:
[14] And if Christ be not risen, then is our preaching vain, and your faith is also vain.
[15] Yea, and we are found false witnesses of God; because we have testified of God that he raised up Christ: whom he raised not up, if so be that the dead rise not.
[16] For if the dead rise not, then is not Christ raised:
[17] And if Christ be not raised, your faith is vain; ye are yet in your sins.
[18] Then they also which are fallen asleep in Christ are perished.
[19] If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men most miserable.
[20] But now is Christ risen from the dead, and become the firstfruits of them that slept.
[21] For since by man came death, by man came also the resurrection of the dead.
[22] For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.
[23] But every man in his own order: Christ the firstfruits; afterward they that are Christ's at his coming.
[24] Then cometh the end, when he shall have delivered up the kingdom to God, even the Father; when he shall have put down all rule and all authority and power.
[25] For he must reign, till he hath put all enemies under his feet.
[26] The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death.

Blessed be the Name of the risen King! the Lord Jesus Christ.
bbreland On December 06, 2013

Banned

In the US.,
#13New Post! Jun 27, 2010 @ 02:59:05
@ninozara Said

As far as the crypt thing, didn't his disciples essentially steal his body and prepare it/put it in the crypt? The Roman guarding his got a bit freaked by the darkness and tearing cloth on one of the buildings when he died, and let them take his body. If I'm remembering it correctly anyway... looooong time since I studied the bible

But it would be VERY interesting if that were the case. We know that the bible has been edited over the years for the churches benefit, things have been left out, added in and the meanings changed.

And, the Romans had a good grasp of language, and the rich were educated, they employed scribes so even many servants could read and write. If this sort of thing happened a lot, it would make sense for it to be recorded.

No, here's what happened:

Matt 27
57 Now when evening had come, there came a rich man from Arimathea, named Joseph, who himself had also become a disciple of Jesus. 58 This man went to Pilate and asked for the body of Jesus. Then Pilate commanded the body to be given to him. 59 When Joseph had taken the body, he wrapped it in a clean linen cloth, 60 and laid it in his new tomb which he had hewn out of the rock; and he rolled a large stone against the door of the tomb, and departed.

Banned

In the US.,
#14New Post! Jun 27, 2010 @ 03:05:14
@boxerdc Said

Discuss..

So after 2000 or so years of trying to disprove the Bible and Christ, all of a sudden one guy stumbles upon evidence that the Romans didn't crucify prisoners? Shoudln't someone else have caught this by now?

Just wondering, is this the first person to come up with this, or has someone in the past "discovered" this?

Banned

In the US.,
#15New Post! Jun 27, 2010 @ 03:10:58
BTW, what of Josephus' references to captives being crucified? Is all that bunk?

"And when I was sent by Titus Caesar with Cerealins, and a thousand horsemen, to a certain village called Thecoa, in order to know whether it were a place fit for a camp, as I came back, I saw many captives crucified, and remembered three of them as my former acquaintance. I was very sorry at this in my mind, and went with tears in my eyes to Titus, and told him of them; so he immediately commanded them to be taken down, and to have the greatest care taken of them, in order to their recovery; yet two of them died under the physician's hands, while the third recovered. "

There are numerous references to prisoners being crucified (which I'm not going to post here, I don't like killing e-trees ) in Josephus' writings. Of course it's possible he lied about it.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 ...11 12 13 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs