The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Religion & Philosophy

Jehovah's Witnesses - What do they really believe?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 ...8 9 10 11 12 · >>
MadCornishBiker On January 14, 2014

Banned

St Columb Road, United Kingdom
#136New Post! Mar 16, 2012 @ 12:36:00
@bob_the_fisherman Said

Your quote above mine is illegible to me due to the quotes within quotes within quotes. Could you please repost it so it is readable?

Thanks.

OOOOps, I did make a bit of a mess of that one didn't I, lol.

I'll sort if and repost it. Sorry.
bob_the_fisherman On January 30, 2023
Anatidaephobic

, Angola
#137New Post! Mar 16, 2012 @ 12:45:05
@MadCornishBiker Said

OOOOps, I did make a bit of a mess of that one didn't I, lol.

I'll sort if and repost it. Sorry.

Meh... it's all good. You can edit your posts though. I always check mine to make sure they are structured ok after I post them. It is easy to stuff up the quote and end quote bit...

Banned

#138New Post! Mar 16, 2012 @ 12:51:06
@bob_the_fisherman Said

Meh... it's all good. You can edit your posts though. I always check mine to make sure they are structured ok after I post them. It is easy to stuff up the quote and end quote bit...

Yes, I usually check mine, but unfortunately did't this time. Again, sorry, anywho here goes, lol.

OK, I think I've got this right this tiome.

Imncidentally I also otice I haev missed a reply which I shall have to have a go at, lol, part of the replyto whihc is covered in here. I'll do that one in a fewminutes,lol

@bob_the_fisherman Said

As I have said to you before, I do not have leaders of any kind. The best I have in relation to 'leaders' is speaking regularly with fellow Christians who get together to discuss and learn about Christ, God, the bible etc. We have areas about which we disagree to some extent, but we figure that we will work it out as we go along. But, while on the subject of apostasy and false teaching, no one in my group has engaged in pagan practices like pyramid reading, which in turn lead to making false prophesies. It is probably not good for you to cast stones on this particular point.

I cast no stones, only truth from the bible.

So you say you have no leaders, fair enough,I will accept that piton , no reason not to.

I have one Leader, the Christ, the only one worth having.

@bob_the_fisherman Said

Also, it is not legitimate to argue that I interpret the bible but you and/or the Jehovah's Witnesses do not. If the Jehovah's Witnesses do not interpret the bible, why did they say that this world system would end in 1874, 1914, 1915 and 1925 etc? If they are claiming, as you imply, that these acts are not acts of interpretation, then, they claim that they are words from God. However, the interpretation they received from God was wrong - this then, means that they were not hearing from God at all, and they are false prophets. In the OT times, false prophets were killed. The test of a prophet was;.

It is completely legitimate to claim that, for one simply reason, you bend scripture to fit a teaching both the JWs and I bend our teachings to fit scripture.

I have demonstrated to you on many occasions how the bile interprets itself. I do not need the words of men to show me, the bible does that itself with the help of God's Holy Spirit.

That is the whole difference, and the only reason you cannot see that is because you are blinded by Satan's veiling of the good news and too besotted with the words of Apostates. It doesn't matter how much scripture I show you to show how wrong those teachigns are, you refuse to listen to God's word.

I give you credit for having a zeal for God, but as the bible points out it is a zeal, "not according to accurate knowledge".

@bob_the_fisherman Said

if someone claimed to hear from God (as the JWs do), and predicted things that turned out false (as the JWs have clearly done), then *they* were false. The penalty for this was death..

Again you twist the words to suit yourself.

The JWs do not claim to hear directly from God, and never have. They deny any suggestion that anyone hears from God. They are however guided by Holy Spirit, as Peter was, and as all who read the bible know, he made more mistakes than enough, however he at least had the humility to correct them.

@bob_the_fisherman Said

Do you think Russell would have been condemned to death in OT times? If not, why?.

No,because he made no claims to be a prophet and that condemnation only applied to people who prophesied or claimed to speak directly from God. Was Peter put to death for His errors? No.

You repeatedly make false claims for Russell and others that they would refute were they here to do so, There is a world of difference between guidance and direct inspiration, the bible makes that too very clear.

@bob_the_fisherman Said

Also, you say that Russell read pyramids because of reading the bible and seeing it tell believers to "read the signs," but that he was wrong in doing this. However, you say JWs do not interpret the bible, but instead, get their revelations from God. If this is true, it follows that you would have to argue that God *wanted* Russell to fall into the error of paganism, and that God therefore deceived Russell with a false revelation. Is God really a deceiver, in your opinion?.

I never said he wasn't wrong in that particular choice. Sometimes it is hard to recognise what is a sign and what isn't. Do you recognise the signs of the times we live in now? Somehow I doubt it.

It doesn't matter what you say, Russell and others like him will never be guilty of anything more than being over-zealous and misunderstanding things. If we were judged fatally on that, none of us would survive.

No God is not a deceiver, it is the one whose word you take who are the deceivers. He never wants anyone to make mistakes any more than He wanted Satan to rebel, or Adam and Even to follow him. God does not try everyone with Evil, have you not even learned that yet?

However He doesn't stop us making mistakes either. Look at Jonah, he allowed him to run away from is commission at first. No matter what we do, God will not remove free will from us as long as we live. In your eagerness to condemn and innocent man you are putting yourself in line for a similar level of judgement, so take care. Condemn someone for making mistakes which were alter corrected and you will suffer the same judgement.

@bob_the_fisherman Said

Or, do you admit that Russell merely interpreted the bible incorrectly and followed pagan practices all by himself? If you do this, you refute your belief that the JWs do not interpret the bible - as not only do they interpret it, but in fact, there is incontrovertible evidence that they interpret it wrong..

No,vnot even that really, it was the Pyramids and their purpose he misinterpreted, though yes he and others like him, in their over eagerness to see this wicked system gone and God's Hew System brought in, jumped ahead somewhat, but the important thing is that they corrected their errors as soon as they discovered where they went wrong.

@bob_the_fisherman Said

Or, worse, we turn to the only other possibility; did Russell merely *think* he heard from God when in fact, he was hearing from someone all together different, far more sinister, and intent on leading people away from the one true God? If so, can Russell and his followers be trusted? After all, if the base upon which the house is built is unsound, the whole house must be unsound, surely?.

No, as before, he didn't claim to hear directly from God so your argument is again false.

@bob_the_fisherman Said

So, in summary; either God is a liar, or, your contention regarding the JWs not interpreting the bible is false..

Again a false conclusion based on a false premise which could only work if either God did communicate directly with the JWs or they claimed He did, neither of which is true. They will happily tell you themselves that God ceased to communicated directly with mankind, or even through the medium of His son, centuries ago. In fact the last known example of direct communication was when Jesus stopped Paul,or Saul as he was then known,in his tracks on the road to Damascus.

@bob_the_fisherman Said

Are you prepared to call God a liar in defense of the Jehovah's Witnesses?.

I don't need to since the JWs are God's people on this earth and they support each other.

It is you and your kind who call God and His son liars by your demonstrably, thorough scripture and history, pagan claims of trinity.

@bob_the_fisherman Said

The Father and the Son have different roles. This has nothing to do with sharing "equality of essence" as the Jews understood the term "Son" to mean.

In a family, who is of inferior essence; obviously not the husband, who is head of the wife, so, is the wife less human by being under authority? If not her, what about their son or daughter?.

You know the answer to that one.

In terms of biblical hierarchy, neither is inferior, but neither are they equal. There can only be one captain on any ship. Even when the pilot takes command of the ship when entering port, if the Captain countermands his orders the pilot will then stand back and leave it entirely to the Captain.

Does that mean that the pilot is inferior to the Captian. NO,in fact in those circumstances he is effectively superior because of his superior knowledge of the port they are entering, but he still, none the less recognises that the Captain has overall control.

It is the same with headship. Different neither means equal nor inferior, simply different.

as you have already quoted from scripture, again apparently with little or not understanding.

God is the head of the Christ
Christ is the head of the man
the Man is the head of the woman, and both are in authority over their children.
The woman is the partner of the man, supporting her husband's headship, whether or not the husband is present.

That does not make either inferior,that is neither the Christian way, or God's way. However Christ recognised his Father's headship from his creation onwards until he hands the kingdom back to Him.

@bob_the_fisherman Said

12 “‘Look! I am coming quickly, and the reward I give is with me, to render to each one as his work is. 13 I am the Al´pha and the O·me´ga, the first and the last, the beginning and the end. 14 Happy are those who wash their robes, that the authority [to go] to the trees of life may be theirs and that they may gain entrance into the city by its gates. 15 Outside are the dogs and those who practice spiritism and the fornicators and the murderers and the idolaters and everyone liking and carrying on a lie.’

16 “‘I, Jesus, sent my angel to bear witness to YOU people of these things for the congregations. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright morning star.’”

Firstborn does not mean created. We have already discussed this. If Paul had meant Christ was the first created being, he had another word he could have used, protoktistos, however, he used prototokes - meaning 'firstborn'. The term 'firstborn' means something more like 'having preeminence' (see for example Jeremiah 31:9 where Ephraim is called "firstborn" but Manasseh was literally the firstborn). The legitimacy of this interpretation is borne out in the following passage:

That is precisely what it does mean. He was the "Firstborn of Creation" not only does that say that he had a beginning it puts him firmly in the realms of being part of teh creation he was the firstborn of.

@bob_the_fisherman Said

Colossians 1:18 and he is the head of the body, the congregation. He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that he might become the one who is first in all things.

As Christ was not the first person born, nor the first raised from the dead, clearly this is not speaking chronologically, but positionally. Also, as the verse ends with "who is first in all things," this appears to describe Christ's position as 'firstborn' or preeminent, not first created..

Context Bob, context.

In a very real sense Jesus was the first raised from the dead, to eternal life. Those resurrected before him were, as he said about Lazarus, merely woken from sleep, only to die again. The context of this scripture is very different to when He was called the firstborn of all creation, and the meaning is self evidently different also. It is all very well latching on to the wording, as you so often do, but it is the meaning that you need to find.

In another sense he was firstborn from the dead. He himself even called living humans "dead" simply because death is the destination of all imperfect humans. Jesus was perfect and therefore had the right to eternal life on earth. Since he was born of an imperfect mother he was literally born from the dead, and was the first one to be so born as all from Cain and Abel on have been born into[.i] the dead not from them.

@bob_the_fisherman Said

Further, if Christ *was* the 'first created' rather than the 'firstborn', this contradicts John, who says all things were created through Christ (John 1:3), and Paul, who also says all things were created through Christ (Colossians 1:15-18). If Christ is created, then both Paul and John are wrong, as not all things were created through Christ (unless you wish to argue that he created himself, through himself, before he existed. But even that would be problematic, as God created Christ according to the Jehovah's Witnesses). So, the JW position that Christ is first created, contradicts the bible. It must therefore be false.

How does it contradict John's statements, or any other? It does you notice say all things were created through him, not by him. After his being created he worked alongside is Father and was used by Him to create all other things. Again the use of the phrase "created through" rather than created by" indicates that he was doing so under his Fathers authority, not his own.

@bob_the_fisherman Said

Incidentally, the term "mountains" often refers to nations, not geological formations..

In some places, yes, but not in that Psalm. Read it.

Psalm 90:2 Before the mountains themselves were born, Or you proceeded to bring forth as with labor pains the earth and the productive land, Even from time indefinite to time indefinite you are God.

That scripture is self evidently talking about the creation of the Earth and likening it to childbirth. God didn't create the Nations,that was, and still is, Satan's doing. God wanted a untied earth, all one people, and that is what He will get in the end.

It is true that even earth is often used in scripture to mean the people of the earth, but in that context it is never described as "productive" as it has never been. In a spiritual sense,even Israel were rarely productive, more often than not they were destructive.

@bob_the_fisherman Said

No, I do not ignore any of it. That Christ is referred to in prophecy by Isaiah as "eternal father" is not a thing I ignore. That Isaiah calls both Christ and Jehovah el gibbor, is also not a thing I ignore..

On the contrary you are ignoring the true meaning even in what you say here. Everything eternal has a beginning. We are promised Eternal Life, as were Adam and Eve. Does that mean they had no beginning, or that we have no beginning either.

Again you fail to back up your claims.
Anatidaephobic

, Angola
#139New Post! Mar 16, 2012 @ 14:02:53
@MadCornishBiker Said
I cast no stones, only truth from the bible.

And, I say the same. It proves nothing. Further, I think we now can say quite safely that you and the JWs are far from infallible. You simply cannot legitimately claim to tell only the absolute truth whilst claiming to be fallible. This is simply illogical.

@MadCornishBiker Said
So you say you have no leaders, fair enough,I will accept that piton , no reason not to. I have one Leader, the Christ, the only one worth having.

Fair enough, although, context is always good. You referred to my leaders being human apostates. I merely pointed out that this is false. I too happily claim to follow Christ, and accept Him as Lord.

@MadCornishBiker Said
It is completely legitimate to claim that, for one simply reason, you bend scripture to fit a teaching both the JWs and I bend our teachings to fit scripture. I have demonstrated to you on many occasions how the bile interprets itself. I do not need the words of men to show me, the bible does that itself with the help of God's Holy Spirit.

And here again, you claim infallibility, which you also deny.

You are, whether you like it or not, interpreting scripture when you read it and extract meaning from it. You are not God, nor are you the Holy Spirit. You are, like me and everyone else, a fallible human being.

@MadCornishBiker Said
That is the whole difference, and the only reason you cannot see that is because you are blinded by Satan's veiling of the good news and too besotted with the words of Apostates.

No. I understand basic truths, which is why I do not claim to be infallible, when knowing that I am not. And, it is also the reason I outright refute your claims of infallibility when knowing that you are not (as you were wrong in relation to Christ and Mary), and knowing the JWs are not, as they were wrong in reading pyramids, and predicting the end of the world in 1874, 1914, 1915 and 1925.

@MadCornishBiker Said
Again you twist the words to suit yourself.

No. The JWs themselves claimed to be prophets - and indeed, they have claimed to be the only prophets.

Jehovah's Witnesses "speak as a prophet in the name of Jehovah." In, The Nations Shall Know that I am Jehovah, 1971, p.59.

"This "prophet" was not one man, but was a body of men and women. It was the small group of footstep followers of Jesus Christ, known at that time as the International Bible Students. Today they are known as Jehovah's Christian Witnesses... Of course, it is easy to say that this group acts as a "prophet" of God. It is another thing to prove it. The only way that this can be done is to review the record. What does it show?" In, The Watchtower, April 1, 1972.

So, the JWs in their own words not only claim to be prophets, but even ask, what does their record as prophets show. Quite safely, we can answer that question; it shows that they are not prophets. The false prophecies bear ample testimony to that.

@MadCornishBiker Said
The JWs do not claim to hear directly from God, and never have. They deny any suggestion that anyone hears from God. They are however guided by Holy Spirit, as Peter was, and as all who read the bible know, he made more mistakes than enough, however he at least had the humility to correct them.

Then why do they claim to be His mouthpiece?

If they are guided by the spirit, but have clearly been wrong in the past, why do they say they alone are right, and anyone disagreeing with them is wrong, an apostate, a liar and all the other things they claim?

One thing I have to give the JWs credit for, they are remarkably slippery. Arguing against their weird belief is like trying to nail jelly to a wall. Most people, when they contradict themselves blatantly, at least the temerity to feel some shame. The JWs seem to just ignore it, or, hold it aloft as proof that they are right.

@MadCornishBiker Said
No,because he made no claims to be a prophet and that condemnation only applied to people who prophesied or claimed to speak directly from God. Was Peter put to death for His errors? No.

Which I have shown false from the words of the JWs themselves.

@MadCornishBiker Said
You repeatedly make false claims for Russell and others that they would refute were they here to do so, There is a world of difference between guidance and direct inspiration, the bible makes that too very clear.

You may not remember, but awhile ago I put a quote here from Russell saying that if a JW stopped reading JW literature, and merely read the bible, that they would fall into apostasy within a couple of years. Do you agree with Russell on this?

@MadCornishBiker Said
I never said he wasn't wrong in that particular choice. Sometimes it is hard to recognise what is a sign and what isn't. Do you recognise the signs of the times we live in now? Somehow I doubt it.

He wasn't just a little wrong though, was he?

And, as to the sign of the times - I am watching what is going on at the moment. Do I have perfect understanding - no. Do I claim to? No. I have my ideas, based on my research and understanding, and that of others, and, for the moment, I am content with that. I am not reading tarot, tea leaves or pyramids, as such a thing is, to put it mildly, patently absurd.

@MadCornishBiker Said
It doesn't matter what you say, Russell and others like him will never be guilty of anything more than being over-zealous and misunderstanding things. If we were judged fatally on that, none of us would survive.

Yet, Russell blatantly lied about the size of the pyramid he was reading - not once, but twice. Is this a good thing?

@MadCornishBiker Said
No God is not a deceiver, it is the one whose word you take who are the deceivers. He never wants anyone to make mistakes any more than He wanted Satan to rebel, or Adam and Even to follow him. God does not try everyone with Evil, have you not even learned that yet?

I am aware that God does not tempt people into committing acts of evil. However, I was referring to the JWs inconsistent belief that they are God's mouthpiece, and are right on all things, even though on every point where they can be proven wrong (such as prophecy), they have proven wrong.

@MadCornishBiker Said
However He doesn't stop us making mistakes either. Look at Jonah, he allowed him to run away from is commission at first. No matter what we do, God will not remove free will from us as long as we live. In your eagerness to condemn and innocent man you are putting yourself in line for a similar level of judgement, so take care. Condemn someone for making mistakes which were alter corrected and you will suffer the same judgement.

But, I am not condemning him or anyone else. I merely pointing out that he is wrong on every point that can be proved. Not one of his prophecies turned out to be correct so far - the JWs now cling to the pyramid inspired 1914 "last generation" prophecy, as they clung to all the other prophetic statements. Still, I suppose if they keep saying "X" is the last generation, they will get it right by default sooner or later

However, having said that, there is good reason, in my opinion, to believe the end is reasonably close (although I am not even slightly prepared to put a year or even a decade to it).

@MadCornishBiker Said
No,vnot even that really, it was the Pyramids and their purpose he misinterpreted, though yes he and others like him, in their over eagerness to see this wicked system gone and God's Hew System brought in, jumped ahead somewhat, but the important thing is that they corrected their errors as soon as they discovered where they went wrong.

But, again, they had absolutely no choice did they? They cannot tell people the world will end in 1874 anymore can they?

There is no credit in admitting you are wrong when you have no choice about it. And anyway, they try to weasel out of it by saying that it was only "some brothers" that believed it, when these false dates were propagated by their own leadership. That is hardly being honest is it?

@MadCornishBiker Said
Again a false conclusion based on a false premise which could only work if either God did communicate directly with the JWs or they claimed He did, neither of which is true. They will happily tell you themselves that God ceased to communicated directly with mankind, or even through the medium of His son, centuries ago. In fact the last known example of direct communication was when Jesus stopped Paul,or Saul as he was then known,in his tracks on the road to Damascus.

I disagree with this too, but we can leave that for later.

@MadCornishBiker Said
It is you and your kind who call God and His son liars by your demonstrably, thorough scripture and history, pagan claims of trinity.

I am still waiting for you to show me that the JWs are not liars in regards to their anti-trinity pamphlet. Where do the Jehovah's Witnesses state in that pamphlet that the Anti-Nicene fathers are apostates or non-Christians? I put it in bold, because this is at least the fourth time I have asked you to show me where they say it, and you have not done so.

@MadCornishBiker Said
You know the answer to that one.
In terms of biblical hierarchy, neither is inferior, but neither are they equal. There can only be one captain on any ship. Even when the pilot takes command of the ship when entering port, if the Captain countermands his orders the pilot will then stand back and leave it entirely to the Captain.
It is the same with headship. Different neither means equal nor inferior, simply different.That does not make either inferior,that is neither the Christian way, or God's way. However Christ recognised his Father's headship from his creation onwards until he hands the kingdom back to Him.

Christians acknowledge that the Father and Son are not the same.

@MadCornishBiker Said
That is precisely what it does mean. He was the "Firstborn of Creation" not only does that say that he had a beginning it puts him firmly in the realms of being part of teh creation he was the firstborn of.

This is an assertion.

@MadCornishBiker Said
In a very real sense Jesus was the first raised from the dead, to eternal life. Those resurrected before him were, as he said about Lazarus, merely woken from sleep, only to die again. The context of this scripture is very different to when He was called the firstborn of all creation, and the meaning is self evidently different also. It is all very well latching on to the wording, as you so often do, but it is the meaning that you need to find.

It is the meaning that I do find. Firstborn does not mean created, it means preeminent.

@MadCornishBiker Said
How does it contradict John's statements, or any other? It does you notice say all things were created through him, not by him. After his being created he worked alongside is Father and was used by Him to create all other things. Again the use of the phrase "created through" rather than created by" indicates that he was doing so under his Fathers authority, not his own.

Because when both Paul and John say everything was created through Christ, they are wrong if Christ was created. This is self evident. He could not have created all things if he was created, unless he created himself.

@MadCornishBiker Said
On the contrary you are ignoring the true meaning even in what you say here. Everything eternal has a beginning. We are promised Eternal Life, as were Adam and Eve. Does that mean they had no beginning, or that we have no beginning either.

Again you fail to back up your claims.

Are you saying that God had a beginning?

Banned

#140New Post! Mar 16, 2012 @ 18:34:53
I'll get round top the missed one soon, as long as I don't keep getting distracted, lol.

@bob_the_fisherman Said

And, I say the same. It proves nothing. Further, I think we now can say quite safely that you and the JWs are far from infallible. You simply cannot legitimately claim to tell only the absolute truth whilst claiming to be fallible. This is simply illogical.

Why is it illogical?

I suppose I should add, as I sometimes do,that the JWs and I only deal in revealed truth, and we do, as far as it has been revealed to date. The fallibility comes in on the occasions where the truth of something has not yet been revealed.

I have said many times that the JWs may not have all the truth yet, but they have more of it than anyone else, and for now that is enough for me.

@bob_the_fisherman Said

Fair enough, although, context is always good. You referred to my leaders being human apostates. I merely pointed out that this is false. I too happily claim to follow Christ, and accept Him as Lord.

Ah but the only reason you believe it to be false is because you don't truly believe what the bible tells us. You only accept the parts that agree with the one or two scriptures that have been twisted to mean what they do not. The fact that they then contradict a dozen others, which state their case incontrovertibly, doesn't tell you, as it does me, that the understanding of the one or two is wrong. However that is hardly surprising since you evidently prefer to take the word of men over the word of God, no matter how plainly stated.

If you ever overcome that you will have learned how to let the bible interpret itself.

@bob_the_fisherman Said

And here again, you claim infallibility, which you also deny.

I claim no infallibility for myself, only for God and His word.

@bob_the_fisherman Said

You are, whether you like it or not, interpreting scripture when you read it and extract meaning from it. You are not God, nor are you the Holy Spirit. You are, like me and everyone else, a fallible human being.

But that is the whole point, and the thing you obviously haven't learned to do yourself. I am not interpreting it, I am allowing it to interpret itself by harmonising each scripture with all other relevant scriptures. When you can do that, you will make far less mistakes.

@bob_the_fisherman Said

No. I understand basic truths, which is why I do not claim to be infallible, when knowing that I am not. And, it is also the reason I outright refute your claims of infallibility when knowing that you are not (as you were wrong in relation to Christ and Mary), and knowing the JWs are not, as they were wrong in reading pyramids, and predicting the end of the world in 1874, 1914, 1915 and 1925.

And yet if you understood even the most basic Christian truths you would not keep dwelling on mistakes which have been righted, but would rather set about correcting your own.

@bob_the_fisherman Said

No. The JWs themselves claimed to be prophets - and indeed, they have claimed to be the only prophets.

No, they have never claimed to be prophets. They do however, with good reason , claim to be God's people.

They fully recognise that it is impossible for any to claim to be prophets because, as Paul points out, such gifts will cease, and in fact did with the death of John, the last of the Apostles.

1 Corinthians 13:8 Love never fails. But whether there are [gifts of] prophesying, they will be done away with; whether there are tongues, they will cease; whether there is knowledge, it will be done away with.

This means that no-one can claim to be a prophet.

Why did the gift of prophecy cease? Because it was no longer needed. All that needed to be prophesied had been prophesied by the time John died and had written Revelation.

What the JWs did,and do, claim to be is interpreters of Prophecy, with the aid of Holy Spirit. Whilst I have said before, and say again,they have sometimes run ahead of God and tried to understand things which it was not yet God's time to have known, and thereby made mistakes. They are the only channel through whom God reveals things now. He has only ever had one channel.

As time has gone on, they have learned patience, and to wait God's time for the knowledge to be revealed, but not before they had made a number of mistakes as you rightly say. However those mistakes are behind them, and God has forgiven them, because they humbly accepted His correction.

@bob_the_fisherman Said

Jehovah's Witnesses "speak as a prophet in the name of Jehovah." In, The Nations Shall Know that I am Jehovah, 1971, p.59.

Ah yes, lol, but you know as well as I do that speaking as something does not mean being it.

@bob_the_fisherman Said

"This "prophet" was not one man, but was a body of men and women. It was the small group of footstep followers of Jesus Christ, known at that time as the International Bible Students. Today they are known as Jehovah's Christian Witnesses... Of course, it is easy to say that this group acts as a "prophet" of God. It is another thing to prove it. The only way that this can be done is to review the record. What does it show?" In, The Watchtower, April 1, 1972.

Again, not this "prophet" but this one "speaking as a prophet" again not the same thing.

@bob_the_fisherman Said

So, the JWs in their own words not only claim to be prophets, but even ask, what does their record as prophets show. Quite safely, we can answer that question; it shows that they are not prophets. The false prophecies bear ample testimony to that.[/QUOTE}

No they don't, and neither have they uttered any prophecies, true or false. They have merely done their best to understand them,, with varying, and increasing, degrees of success. The prophecies have already been made. There is not one prophecy they have repeated which did not come from scripture, even with the pyramids they were trying to use it in conjunction with scripture, however as they eventually realise, it simply didn't fit. Since we are back to that point (sorry ,lol) I will say here as I have elsewhere 1914 came from the understanding prophecy in Daniel, not from the pyramids. That is why 1914 has never changed, though the understanding of it's full significance has changed slightly.

You are beginning to make me wonder if you even understand English the way you misuse language to suit your desires, lol.

@bob_the_fisherman Said

Then why do they claim to be His mouthpiece?

Because they are His representatives on earth, and the ones through whom He reveals all "new" spiritual truths and understandings. They are the one spoken of in prophecy by Proverbs 4:18 But the path of the righteous ones is like the bright light that is getting lighter and lighter until the day is firmly established. 19 The way of the wicked ones is like the gloom; they have not known at what they keep stumbling.

One day, in line with that scripture, the JWs will know all the truth, but until then they, and I, will simply have to be patient and watch as it gets ever lighter.

Actually they often make me think of this one in Isaiah 26:7 "The path of the righteous one is uprightness. You being upright, you will smooth out the very course of a righteous one. 8 Yes, for the path of your judgments, O Jehovah, we have hoped in you. For your name and for your memorial the desire of the soul has been. 9 With my soul I have desired you in the night; yes, with my spirit within me I keep looking for you; because, when there are judgments from you for the earth, righteousness is what the inhabitants of the productive land will certainly learn. 10 Though the wicked one should be shown favor, he simply will not learn righteousness. In the land of straightforwardness he will act unjustly and will not see the eminence of Jehovah." Especially verses 8 and 9, which applied to me as a child also.

@bob_the_fisherman Said

If they are guided by the spirit, but have clearly been wrong in the past, why do they say they alone are right, and anyone disagreeing with them is wrong, an apostate, a liar and all the other things they claim?

That is covered by the above scriptures really, but the main point is that only one organisation can be, and that organisation has to be one that lives and works in greater harmony than any other,that strives as a body to be "one" with Jehovah, just as Jesus prayed to his Father his followers would be. As in John 17:11-14 “Also, I am no longer in the world, but they are in the world and I am coming to you. Holy Father, watch over them on account of your own name which you have given me, in order that they may be one just as we are. 12 When I was with them I used to watch over them on account of your own name which you have given me; and I have kept them, and not one of them is destroyed except the son of destruction, in order that the scripture might be fulfilled. 13 But now I am coming to you, and I am speaking these things in the world in order that they may have my joy in themselves to the full. 14 I have given your word to them, but the world has hated them, because they are no part of the world, just as I am no part of the world."

@bob_the_fisherman Said

One thing I have to give the JWs credit for, they are remarkably slippery. Arguing against their weird belief is like trying to nail jelly to a wall. Most people, when they contradict themselves blatantly, at least the temerity to feel some shame. The JWs seem to just ignore it, or, hold it aloft as proof that they are right.

The JWs don't contradict themselves, simple as that, and neither do I. The fact that you perceive some of the things I say as contradictory simply proves that you either won't, don't or can't understand what I actually say. You have misquoted me, and them, many times. Not really surprising in the light of 2 Corinthians 4:3 "If, now, the good news we declare is in fact veiled, it is veiled among those who are perishing, 4 among whom the god of this system of things has blinded the minds of the unbelievers, that the illumination of the glorious good news about the Christ, who is the image of God, might not shine through.".

That is the only reason I can see for the illogical leaps you take to misunderstand what you read. And no you don't know the "glorious good news about the Christ. If you did you would not harp on past mistakes which have been corrected, that is not the work or fruitage of Christian. It is literally the behaviour of the Pharisees of Jesus time, and their "father" Satan.

Galatians 5:22-24 "On the other hand, the fruitage of the spirit is love, joy, peace, long-suffering, kindness, goodness, faith, 23 mildness, self-control. Against such things there is no law. 24 Moreover, those who belong to Christ Jesus impaled the flesh together with its passions and desires"

Do you think holding past mistakes against someone fits anywhere in that group of Christian fruitage? If Christ held past mistakes against any of us, there would be no JW's, nor would there be anyone to teach the resurrected ones when they are brought back from the grave. In short, there would be no hope for any of us, and no pint in Jesus sacrifice. By doing what you do you "impale the Christ anew".

I know God has forgiven them for past mistakes, just as I know He has forgiven me, and my mistakes were far more serious than any they made. I can't say I have managed all of the errors in this list, but far too many of them anyway.

1 Corinthians 6:9-11 "What! Do YOU not know that unrighteous persons will not inherit God’s kingdom? Do not be misled. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men kept for unnatural purposes, nor men who lie with men, 10 nor thieves, nor greedy persons, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit God’s kingdom. 11 And yet that is what some of YOU were. But YOU have been washed clean, but YOU have been sanctified, but YOU have been declared righteous in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ and with the spirit of our God."

Even if God had, at the time, considered what Russell did as a form of idolatry, as you apparently do, that comes under that list of things people can be forgiven if they turn their back on them, as Russell did, and the JWs have with their mistakes.

@bob_the_fisherman Said

Which I have shown false from the words of the JWs themselves.

No, you have not.

@bob_the_fisherman Said

You may not remember, but awhile ago I put a quote here from Russell saying that if a JW stopped reading JW literature, and merely read the bible, that they would fall into apostasy within a couple of years. Do you agree with Russell on this?

Think about it. The JWs are the only source of increased spiritual understanding of God's word. Pull away from them and you are pulling away from God. If you pull away from God He will pull His spirit from you, and without that you cannot progress.

The bible talks about the true Christian congregation as the source of the waters of life. Pull away from the source of those waters of life and you either die of thirst (spiritually) or you take on boards the wormwood of Apostate Christianity as you have.

So yes. What Russell said is true,since the literature produced by the JWs is the source of all spiritual food, which comes from the bible.

@bob_the_fisherman Said

He wasn't just a little wrong though, was he?

Wrong is wrong it doesn't matter how much or little it is all the same, and all covered by Jesus' sacrifice.

@bob_the_fisherman Said

And, as to the sign of the times - I am watching what is going on at the moment. Do I have perfect understanding - no. Do I claim to? No. I have my ideas, based on my research and understanding, and that of others, and, for the moment, I am content with that. I am not reading tarot, tea leaves or pyramids, as such a thing is, to put it mildly, patently absurd.

Yes, I agree it would be, as well as against God's word.

All we can do is watch. The signs are go=rowing stronger by the day, but still, unless we are already on the "Ark" when the doors close we will not be able to get on.

We only know that the next definite sign to watch out for is the cessation of the preaching of "This Good News of the Kingdom" earthwide. As far as it is possible to tell at present, when that ceases it will already be too late to listen. It is currently being preached in just about every populated land

When will it cease? When God decides it has been done to His satisfaction and ceases to provide the finance to carry it out.

@bob_the_fisherman Said

Yet, Russell blatantly lied about the size of the pyramid he was reading - not once, but twice. Is this a good thing?

If he did indeed deliberately lie then no it would not be a good thing, but I very seriously doubt that he did, however again that is past and is between him and Jehovah now so it is none of our business. Without definitive evidence that it was not only wrong but deliberately so,and intended to deceive, I shall not judge what I do not know about. Should you? Do you know what was going through his mind at the time? I seriously doubt it. I suspect that cone again you are listening to too many Apostate lies.

One thing becoming a JW taught me, which I hadn't learned on my own, was how to forgive past mistakes in others so that mine can be forgiven also.

@bob_the_fisherman Said

I am aware that God does not tempt people into committing acts of evil. However, I was referring to the JWs inconsistent belief that they are God's mouthpiece, and are right on all things, even though on every point where they can be proven wrong (such as prophecy), they have proven wrong.

Well, since they do not prophesy that would be a little difficult to do.

Yes they have made mistakes in their understanding of prophesy in the past. But can you tell me one current understanding that is wrong? No, you can't because they aren't. 1914 is right, and has proved to be an accurate understanding of the relevant prophecies in Daniel. The signs of the times prove that.

There are still thins they don't know, but as I say they have learned patience from their mistakes, from their trying to leap ahead.

@bob_the_fisherman Said

But, I am not condemning him or anyone else. I merely pointing out that he is wrong on every point that can be proved. Not one of his prophecies turned out to be correct so far - the JWs now cling to the pyramid inspired 1914 "last generation" prophecy, as they clung to all the other prophetic statements. Still, I suppose if they keep saying "X" is the last generation, they will get it right by default sooner or later

No they have not proved wrong on everything that can be proved. 1914 is not wrong, nor was it. Only some of their ideas of the significance of it were wrong. It was and is still the approximate date of the founding of God's kingdom in the Heavens. They just compressed the time-scale of things after it in their understandable impatience.

As for the Generation, that is still not wrong, though maybe not as clearly understood as was first thought. The prophecy says that the Generation that sees all these things will by no means pass away. Though it was once thought that this cold only mean those who were alive at 1914, is that what it actually says? Matthew 24:32 “Now learn from the fig tree as an illustration this point: Just as soon as its young branch grows tender and it puts forth leaves, YOU know that summer is near. 33 Likewise also YOU, when YOU see all these things, know that he is near at the doors. 34 Truly I say to YOU that this generation will by no means pass away until all these things occur. 35 Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will by no means pass away."

Another aspect it that the scripture says nothing about how many of that generation will be left., just that the entire generation will not pass away. It may seem reasonable to assume a significant number remaining, but I am not so sure, nor I suspect are the JWs themselves though some individuals may be, lol.

@bob_the_fisherman Said

However, having said that, there is good reason, in my opinion, to believe the end is reasonably close (although I am not even slightly prepared to put a year or even a decade to it).

But, again, they had absolutely no choice did they? They cannot tell people the world will end in 1874 anymore can they?

There is no credit in admitting you are wrong when you have no choice about it. And anyway, they try to weasel out of it by saying that it was only "some brothers" that believed it, when these false dates were propagated by their own leadership. That is hardly being honest is it?

So,there would be no credit in admitting how wrong you are then would there. I suspect you are wrong in that also if that is what you believe. Credit or not, the mainline churches still haven't admitted how wrong they are yet, and there certainly is no credit in that. When you say that about the JWs it reminds me of another of Jesus sayings "When you have done all things things say to yourself 'I have done only that which I ought, miserable slave that I am'. That is what the JWs say to themselves when they have been corrected and accepted that correction. They have only done that which they ought. They don't ask for credit for doing it, it is me, and anyone with any Christian feeling who does that for them.

The brothers didn't actually say that most of those dates would be when Armageddon happened, though they did feel that 1918 was a probable date because WWI was so catastrophic in comparison to anything that had happened before they felt it may have been a part of Armageddon.

To understand that you have to understand just how totally different from anything that had ever gone before WWI was. In the circumstances, and with the hope they had in mind it is hardly surprising that they got a little carried away. I wonder how you would have felt at the time? I am not sure I would not have been very tempted to go the same way.

Do you ever try to put yourself in the shoes of these ones to help understand them? Somehow I wouldn't imagine that you do, you don't strike me as having that much empathy.

It also has to be remembered that, since according to prophecy, Christ's rule in the heavens started in or around 1914, there are only about 1,000 years for the rest of the events that are prophesied to happen to take place before mankind and the earth have, once again, to be perfect. There is an awful lot to be completed in the next 900 years or so.

@bob_the_fisherman Said

I disagree with this too, but we can leave that for later.

I would expect nothing else in your current state of understanding, lol.

@bob_the_fisherman Said

I am still waiting for you to show me that the JWs are not liars in regards to their anti-trinity pamphlet. Where do the Jehovah's Witnesses state in that pamphlet that the Anti-Nicene fathers are apostates or non-Christians? I put it in bold, because this is at least the fourth time I have asked you to show me where they say it, and you have not done so.

If you cannot accept my explanation by now, you never will. Not only do the JWs say that all who teach pagan doctrine are Apostates, so does the bible. The trinity is,and always was, a pagan teaching.

@bob_the_fisherman Said

Christians acknowledge that the Father and Son are not the same.

Yes Christians do, Apostates who teach the trinity according to the conditions of their membership of the World Council of Churches don't. They follow the Athanasian Creed and have no choice but to do so. That creed teaches that they are one God, which is not the same as being different, nor could it be. It defies logic and reason.

@bob_the_fisherman Said

This is an assertion.

Yes, an assertion of cat, backed totally by scripture.

@bob_the_fisherman Said

It is the meaning that I do find. Firstborn does not mean created, it means preeminent.

Of course it is the meaning you find, because you have absolutely no desire to listen to what the bible actual says, unless it agrees with you.

Firstborn does not mean pre-eminent and cannot reasonably be twisted to do so. It means precisely that which it says, born first.

@bob_the_fisherman Said

Because when both Paul and John say everything was created through Christ, they are wrong if Christ was created. This is self evident. He could not have created all things if he was created, unless he created himself.

That dos not make sense, factually or linguistically. It is because Christ was created first that he was there to create everything. He wouldn't possibly have been created after, and the bible is very clear that he is and was the first born, therefore had a beginning before everything else did.

I have to admit I can see where your reasoning comes from. I have had these conversations many times over so it would be hard for me not to, but I can also see through them and realise they are empty.

I can also see why there were those who tried to introduce them into the early church and whose followers kept trying until they finally succeeded in the 4th century. It is Satan's normal tactic, try to destroy things at birth.

He corrupted Adams and Even before Adam had succeeded in strengthening her, as was his responsibility.

He worked very hard at deflecting the Israelite Nation as soon as he could after it was formed

He tried to have the Christ killed during his first year of life.

He then tried to hit him at his weakest, in the wilderness when his mind was still reeling from having his pre-human memory put back into his head.

He fought hard to destroy eh early Christian Congregation and only succeeded after the death of eh last of the Apostles.

He tried to stamp out any remnant of that congregation, having anyone who raised their heads above the parapets martyred

He worked hard at destroying the early re-creation of the Christian Congregation in the mid 1800s.

Nothing now in any of that, it his way.

Of course he never gives up trying, as the bible shows us, but he cannot succeed and now he has been cast down to the vicinity of tee earth Somewhere in the late 1800's he has had more time to try and distract as many as possible from the true Christian Congregation with all sorts of propaganda.

He will continue to try until he is imprisoned at Armageddon, and will do so again at the end of the 1,000 years when he gets his final opportunity.

Like it or not, people like you do a pretty good job of frightening the majority off, but again that is only to be expected since Christ prophesied it would be so.

@bob_the_fisherman Said

Are you saying that God had a beginning?

Not in reality though since He created time along with everything else, you could say that He did, lol.

Strictly speaking He is not Eternal, He is immortal, there is a difference, and until Jesus proved faithful, until he, as Paul put it, learned obedience through his suffering He was the only one. Christ is now immortal, as are the ones who rule in the heavens with him. That is why God is spoken of as being God "from time indefinite to time indefinite". Time indefinite like eternity, has a beginning.

The difference between Eternal life and Immortality? One who is eternal can still die. One who is immortal cannot.

God has never been able to die as Christ could have. Adam and Eve had eternal life, but it was removed so they died.

Jesus and tee 144,000 have been warranted immortality, hough some are yet to take that "post" as priest and king worth the Christ.

I'll get round to the one I missed eventually, if I can still find it, lol. I haven't forgotten it, but this one took me hours.
Teleologist On April 13, 2012

Phoenix,
#141New Post! Mar 16, 2012 @ 19:32:46
@MadCornishBiker Said

I have demonstrated to you on many occasions how the Bible interprets itself. I do not need the words of men to show me, the bible does that itself with the help of God's Holy Spirit.

That is clearly false. Show me how the command to "abstain from... blood" interprets itself to mean that Christians can take hemoglobin but are forbidden from taking platelets? This interpretation is obviously the personal opinion of the men on your governing body and there is not one good reason to think the Holy Spirit has anything to do with it. By promoting this false teaching you prove yourself to be a follower of men not God. Jesus tells us that our worship is in vain if we teach the commands of men as coming from God. Matt.15:9.

Banned

#142New Post! Mar 16, 2012 @ 19:48:23
I have explained that to you often enough, if you can't understand plain English I guess tat's your problem, lol.

Maybe you should get back under your bridge and wait for the goats to come by, lol.

Phoenix,
#143New Post! Mar 16, 2012 @ 20:04:20
@MadCornishBiker Said

...you evidently prefer to take the word of men over the word of God, no matter how plainly stated.

If you ever overcome that you will have learned how to let the bible interpret itself.

What a hypocrite. Why don't you follow your own advice and refuse to take the word of men over the word of God? If you let the Bible interpret itself you would never come to the conclusion that the command to "abstain from...blood" means it is a conscience matter whether or not to take hemoglobin that makes up 75% of the
non-water part of blood but taking platelets that only makes up 5% of the non-water part of blood is such a serious sin that it warrants disfellowshipping and shunning. Show me how your governing body came to this conclusion by allowing the Bible to interpret itself? Why do you go along with this nonsense when doing so clearly violates the plain words of Jesus at Matt.15:9?
LuckyCharms On July 31, 2021
Magically Delicious

#144New Post! Mar 16, 2012 @ 20:09:04
Easy answer:

JW's believe in driving the rest of us sane folks crazy.

Phoenix,
#145New Post! Mar 16, 2012 @ 20:16:15
@MadCornishBiker Said

I have explained that to you often enough, if you can't understand plain English I guess that's your problem, lol.

That simply isn't true. Show me one post from you where you ever attempted to explain how the command to "abstain from... blood" means that Christians are allowed take hemoglobin but not platelets. You have ignored this question over and over again. All you ever do is claim you have already addressed it when you haven't.

Banned

#146New Post! Mar 16, 2012 @ 20:48:22
@bob_the_fisherman Said

No. It is from Russell's book, "Thy Kingdom Come." As to 'what it is all about,' it is the method Russell used to predict the end of this world in 1874, then 1914, then 1915. Original extracts from the book are available online, and they show not only how he worked out end time prophecy from the pyramid, but also, how he changed the size of the pyramid over the years to keep his prophecy plausible (that is, after 1874 had passed, he changed the size of the pyramid to change the end date from 1874 to 1914).

1914 is based on prophecies from Daniel, not the pyramids, and Russell wasn't the only one to come up with that date.

https://www.watchtower.org/e/bh/appendix_10.htm

@bob_the_fisherman Said

This is true, but with the JWs, the problems run a little deeper. Russell's pyramid use smacks of idolatry, paganism, spiritism etc. Is this what God truly wants of his people?

As you have said to me once or twice, "come out from among them and touch no unclean thing."

And he did just that so no problem.

@bob_the_fisherman Said

You said above that the Jehovah's Witnesses have learned from their mistakes and moved on. However, the problem here is that the 1914 end-time prophecy of the JWs is based on Russell's pyramid reading, and they still use it today, by saying 1914 was the "last generation." As this prophecy is based on a pyramid, it has no more legitimacy that anything else they say. And, if you look at Russell's reading of the pyramid, and align it to the facts regarding the pyramid, he is not only wrong, but, he has also changed the size of the pyramid over time. Information on that can be found here: https://www.neirr.org/pyramidscheme.htm[?QUOTE]

As I have shown above, 1914 is not based on the pyramids, it was divined from prophecies in Daniel. The link above shows how. As so often you have been seriously mis-informed.

@bob_the_fisherman Said

No-one claiming to be a Christian should be looking at pyramids for their prophetic utterances should they? And, they definitely should not be changing facts to fit their belief. Russell has done both, and, whilst the JWs have, in some sense, admitted their error, they still cling to Russell's 1914 end time date anyway.

A Christian looks everywhere for signs, they are all around us , but I have already admitted, as did Russell, that the pyramids were a but one which was corrected. The trouble is you don't always realise what the mistakes were until you have made them.

I often use Apostate literature to demonstrate bible truths (No-one gets it all wrong, lol), even going as far as using the Catholic Encyclopaedia, so maybe I shouldn't do that either, because it is eh same thing, except that thanks to Russell's mistakes I have learned to be a little more careful, not for my sake, but for the people, like you, who may be stumbled by such things.

@bob_the_fisherman Said

To me, this seems to be another of those slippery JW tactics, where they say "we were wrong, but we weren't really wrong, and we do not believe in the wrong thing we believed before," even though they still do.

Well you would because you are under the misapprehension that 1914 came from the pyramids when in fact it didn't. (see link above).

@bob_the_fisherman Said

Think about it. They 'drop' the idolatry of Russell, yet, they keep the conclusion gained from his idolatry? I think they now give it a biblical feel, but, even so, is it credible? If Russell's pyramid predictions aligned with biblical predictions, why did they drop it? If his predictions are false, what are the odds that it would correctly predict the right year for end time prophecy?

Except they haven't kept the conclusion gained from the pyramids because 1914 came from Daniel, lol.

@bob_the_fisherman Said

It seems as though the JWs had to find a new way to validate the 1914 end time prophecy, and turned to the bible. As they had already failed with 1874, and 1914 (as it was originally supposed to bring about the end of this world system), another radical change to their predictions would rightly have robbed them of credibility with their followers. So, instead of 1914 being the end of this world system, it becomes the beginning of the end, and, instead of being based on pyramids, it is now given biblical support.

Is this honestly credible behaviour?

It wasn't a new way, it was the original way, shared by others.

@bob_the_fisherman Said

But, are they God's people? They base their end-time prophecy on a pyramid, and that has no place in Christian teaching. It is difficult not to see some kind of heresy or idolatry involved in "reading" a pyramid to predict end times.

Yes, they are, most definitely, I have seen far too many proofs of that ever to doubt it. Even the fact that you seem totally unable to understand the obvious, not only from the bible, but from what I write at times, helps me see the truth of that. They are God's people, and will remain God's people.

I now have the sort of faith that sustained people like Magdalena Kusserow through the horrors of the holocaust.

https://www.ushmm.org/wlc/en/idcard.php?ModuleId=10006553

https://www.ushmm.org/wlc/en/article.php?ModuleId=10005394

https://fcit.usf.edu/HOLOCAUST/PEOPLE/victjeho.htm

https://fcit.usf.edu/HOLOCAUST/PEOPLE/JWTIMELN.HTM

https://fcit.usf.edu/HOLOCAUST/PEOPLE/USHMMJeh.HTM

https://fcit.usf.edu/HOLOCAUST/PEOPLE/LIEBSTER.HTM

https://remember.org/ina/victims.html#Top

They are Jehovah's earthly organisation, and Jesus Christ is their reigning king, and mine.
Anatidaephobic

, Angola
#147New Post! Mar 16, 2012 @ 23:48:27
@MadCornishBiker Said

1914 is based on prophecies from Daniel, not the pyramids, and Russell wasn't the only one to come up with that date.

https://www.watchtower.org/e/bh/appendix_10.htm

I think the pyramids were very important to the JWs, judging by the homage they pay them. This pyramid is near the grave site of Charles Russell - you can find other images online that show both this pyramid and Russell's grave stone in remarkable proximity. Pyramidology seemed to have been quite serious amongst the early JWs for quite some time.

On one egregious list of JW errors in prophecy and some quite bizarre interpretations of events, see https://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/revelation-daniel-prophetic-interpretation.php

Included in this list of JW errors, is the changing status of Michael - he was figuratively the Pope and anti-Christ before becoming Jesus.

The JW belief in 1914 is tied to 607BC as the date of the fall of Jerusalem, but this date is repudiated by archeologists. The correct date is considered to be 597/598BC.

On the JWs saying that the saints would be removed from earth rprior to 1914 see https://www.newlightministries.com/pdf/tracts/100%20Years.pdf

@MadCornishBiker Said
And he did just that so no problem.

And again, I will raise this point: The JWs themselves say in relation to ecumenism that "a little leaven leavens the whole batch of dough." That Russell engaged in pagan activities like pyramid reading is now beyond dispute. Thus, the JWs are condemned by their own words.

@MadCornishBiker Said
A Christian looks everywhere for signs, they are all around us , but I have already admitted, as did Russell, that the pyramids were a but one which was corrected. The trouble is you don't always realise what the mistakes were until you have made them.

So tarot reading is acceptable then?

@MadCornishBiker Said
I often use Apostate literature to demonstrate bible truths (No-one gets it all wrong, lol), even going as far as using the Catholic Encyclopaedia, so maybe I shouldn't do that either, because it is eh same thing, except that thanks to Russell's mistakes I have learned to be a little more careful, not for my sake, but for the people, like you, who may be stumbled by such things.

I think the stumbling is done by the JWs personally.

@MadCornishBiker Said
Well you would because you are under the misapprehension that 1914 came from the pyramids when in fact it didn't. (see link above).

Fair enough. Having read considerable extracts from Russell's book online, you are correct. However, this does not change the fact that Russell spoke at great length about the pyramids, and was wrong on every single point, including the size of the pyramid. He falsified facts to fit his doctrine.

@MadCornishBiker Said
Yes, they are, most definitely, I have seen far too many proofs of that ever to doubt it.

I really do find myself wondering whether anyone should place such blind trust in any group, but especially one that has paganism embedded in its roots, and has changed so many of its beliefs over time, and made so many errors in interpretation of biblical truths.

@MadCornishBiker Said
Even the fact that you seem totally unable to understand the obvious, not only from the bible, but from what I write at times, helps me see the truth of that. They are God's people, and will remain God's people.

This is the kind of twisted logic I mentioned in an earlier post, where the JWs hold their errors aloft as proof they are right. That I do not accept the JWs errors, is because they are errors, not because those errors are not errors.

@MadCornishBiker Said
They are Jehovah's earthly organisation, and Jesus Christ is their reigning king, and mine.

On this, we will no doubt continue to disagree.

Also, I would like to redraw your attention to this:
Revelation 22:12 “‘Look! I am coming quickly, and the reward I give is with me, to render to each one as his work is. 13 I am the Al´pha and the O·me´ga, the first and the last, the beginning and the end. 14 Happy are those who wash their robes, that the authority [to go] to the trees of life may be theirs and that they may gain entrance into the city by its gates. 15 Outside are the dogs and those who practice spiritism and the fornicators and the murderers and the idolaters and everyone liking and carrying on a lie.’

16 “‘I, Jesus, sent my angel to bear witness to YOU people of these things for the congregations. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright morning star.’”

Here, Christ clearly references himself as the Alpha and Omega, a title you claim belongs only to God.
Anatidaephobic

, Angola
#148New Post! Mar 17, 2012 @ 23:39:15
@MadCornishBiker Said
Why is it illogical?

Why is it illogical to claim that you tell the whole absolute truth and speak only the truth of God's word, not interpretations of God's word, when you have been repeatedly shown to be interpreting the bible wrong? Do you really need me to explain this?

@MadCornishBiker Said
I suppose I should add, as I sometimes do,that the JWs and I only deal in revealed truth, and we do, as far as it has been revealed to date. The fallibility comes in on the occasions where the truth of something has not yet been revealed.

Fair enough. But, what about those revealed truths that are the contradicted by later revealed truths? According to JWs, this world ended in 1874, then 1874 became some great harvest time, then, all the saints were to be removed from earth before 1914, then, 1914 was the end of this world system, then, 1914 was the last generation and the end was going to come in 1918, then 1925, then, before the last person born in 1914 dies.

This is not infallible progressive revelation nor anything that could be mistaken for it.

@MadCornishBiker Said
I have said many times that the JWs may not have all the truth yet, but they have more of it than anyone else, and for now that is enough for me.

And yet they tell you, it seems, that Christ is not the Alpha and Omega, but he calls himself Alpha and Omega in Revelation 22. If they have all truth, why do you not know what the term "Son of God" meant to the Jews - especially considering that John made it blisteringly clear in John 5:18? Why do you not know that "firstborn" means "preeminent," not "created," - if they have all this revealed truth, why don't you have it?

@MadCornishBiker Said
Ah but the only reason you believe it to be false is because you don't truly believe what the bible tells us. You only accept the parts that agree with the one or two scriptures that have been twisted to mean what they do not.

No offence, but this is actually funny.

Genesis 18 Afterward Jehovah appeared to [Abraham] among the big trees of Mam´re... [Abraham] said: “Jehovah, if, now, I have found favor in your eyes, please do not pass by your servant." [...] 13 Then Jehovah said to Abraham: “Why was it that Sarah laughed...?" [...]Jehovah said: “The cry of complaint about Sod´om and Go·mor´rah, yes, it is loud, and their sin, yes, it is very heavy. 21 I am quite determined to go down that I may see whether they act altogether according to the outcry over it that has come to me, and, if not, I can get to know it.”

The bible, Abraham and Jehovah, all call Jehovah Jehovah, but, the "Jehovah's Witnesses" disagree, and say this is not Jehovah, don't they?

According to the JWs, who is this Jehovah?

@MadCornishBiker Said
The fact that they then contradict a dozen others, which state their case incontrovertibly, doesn't tell you, as it does me, that the understanding of the one or two is wrong. However that is hardly surprising since you evidently prefer to take the word of men over the word of God, no matter how plainly stated.

And yet, based on sound evidence, I say the same of you. JW belief makes the bible, Jehovah and Abraham all liars in Genesis 18, and makes Christ a liar and false prophet when he prophesied that he would raise his body from the dead.

@MadCornishBiker Said

Indeed.

@MadCornishBiker Said
I claim no infallibility for myself, only for God and His word.

And yet, you have said repeatedly that you speak only as you are guided by the Spirit. Are you saying that you sometimes get this guidance wrong, or, that the spirit deceives you, or, that perhaps sometimes you think it is God's Spirit, but it is someone else?

If you are wrong on some things that the spirit prompts you on, then, you are wrong on some things. To say, as the JWs do in effect, that 'we are only wrong on the things that have been proven wrong,' (ie, the false prophecies), is rather absurd. There is no logical basis for accepting this, and appears based more on pride than sound reasoning.

When your belief makes the bible a lie, it should be cause for concern and reconsideration. I have given three examples here of this very thing - and if we throw in the fact that Jehovah also spoke with Adam and Eve, we have a fourth.

@MadCornishBiker Said
But that is the whole point, and the thing you obviously haven't learned to do yourself. I am not interpreting it, I am allowing it to interpret itself by harmonising each scripture with all other relevant scriptures. When you can do that, you will make far less mistakes.

But clearly this is false. I put it to you that Christ as God is far more harmonising with scripture than Christ as Michael.

It not only explains who Adam, Eve, Abraham and Sarah spoke to, but it also eliminates ridiculous renderings of verses like, "God is your throne," when the verse reads more accurately as, "Your throne, Oh God."

Throw in the fact 'Son of God' means, according to *both* John (5:18) and the Jewish people (John 10:33) that Christ claimed to be equal with God, and Christ saying "I and the Father are one," and both Christ and God being the Alpha and Omega, and both being our eternal father, both being "Mighty God," and Christ being perfect, and being the very "likeness of God" and being with God in the beginning, and "all things were created through him" and all things were created for him, and you start to see a compelling case. Then, you add in the most likely rendering of John 1:1, and it all starts to make sense.

It is no wonder that the early Christians all taught the deity of Christ, including guys like Ignatius of Antioch (30-107AD), who was born before Christ died, wrote at the same time as the Apostles, to the same churches, and was never castigated as an apostate, despite repeatedly speaking of the deity of Christ.

@MadCornishBiker Said
And yet if you understood even the most basic Christian truths you would not keep dwelling on mistakes which have been righted, but would rather set about correcting your own.

And yet, the JWs, amongst their many harsh and judgmental statements about Christians, say that they are guilty of ecumenism. Further, they castigate ecumenism and call it leaven that leavens the whole batch of dough. But, when they get caught in blatant paganism, they merely disregard it with a casual "oh, yes, that was a mistake but we don't do that now, and be careful not to judge us you apostate liars and demon spawned wicked servant of Satan, because God does not like people to judge people."

With the measure you use, MCB, it will be measured back to you. But again, I am not calling JWs evil, or apostate, or liars, or fools, or servants of Satan as the JWs call me, I am merely calling them deceived. Although, to be fair, I am also calling Russell, at the very least, a deceiver. His blatant lies about the pyramid that he read are enough to lable him a false teacher and or liar (again, I will happily say that no doubt he did these things for what he thought were good reasons, but this does not change the fact that he lied to people).

@MadCornishBiker Said
No, they have never claimed to be prophets. They do however, with good reason , claim to be God's people.

And this too, is false. I have provided you with quotes from their own written works wherein they claim to be prophets.

@MadCornishBiker Said
They fully recognise that it is impossible for any to claim to be prophets because, as Paul points out, such gifts will cease, and in fact did with the death of John, the last of the Apostles. 1 Corinthians 13:8 Love never fails. But whether there are [gifts of] prophesying, they will be done away with; whether there are tongues, they will cease; whether there is knowledge, it will be done away with. This means that no-one can claim to be a prophet.

And here again, we see the JWs inability to interpret the bible. Paul here is not even speaking about prophecy. It is merely a passing remark comparing prophecy to love. The entire point that Paul is making is that love is to be an unceasing, constant, 24/7 part of Christian life. In this, love is unique, and is greater than prophecy or any other spiritual gift.

@MadCornishBiker Said
What the JWs did,and do, claim to be is interpreters of Prophecy, with the aid of Holy Spirit.

And herein we see yet another major problem. The JWs have so far said that the world will end in 1874, 1914, 1918, sometimes in the early 1920s, and 1925 that I have found evidence for (although there are others). They have also claimed that all JWs would be lifted from earth and changed prior to 1914. Now, they claim that the end will come before the everyone that was alive in 1914 dies. And, as you have said yourself, if God chooses to keep someone from 1914 alive for 150 years, then, so be it...

Now, colour me cynical, but, I too can say, "this world system will end sometime in the next 150 years," and be fairly confident that no-one that is alive now will be around to call me a liar. I really do not even need to pretend that the Holy Spirit helped me with that 'revelation.'

@MadCornishBiker Said
Whilst I have said before, and say again,they have sometimes run ahead of God and tried to understand things which it was not yet God's time to have known, and thereby made mistakes. They are the only channel through whom God reveals things now. He has only ever had one channel.

I know that the JWs use this to justify themselves, but, this too, is false. Under law, there was the Jews (who split anyway), but, we are not under law. When Phillip spoke to and converted the Ethiopian, he sent him on his way. He did not say, "you need to join such and such church." Christ also at times healed people and sent them off to tell people what had happened - he did not say, you need to join this church. When the disciples rebuked someone for preaching Christ because he did not follow the disciples and Jesus, Jesus told them not to. He did not say, "the guy is not a follower of mine because he is not with us."

@MadCornishBiker Said
As time has gone on, they have learned patience, and to wait God's time for the knowledge to be revealed, but not before they had made a number of mistakes as you rightly say. However those mistakes are behind them, and God has forgiven them, because they humbly accepted His correction.

But again, there is no reason to accept this, other than the say so of people who have been shown wrong time and again, and whose current prediction smacks of paganism - whether the 1914 date was arrived at via poor knowledge of biblical history (they have the wrong date for the fall of Jerusalem as their starting point), or, through pagan pyramid reading (in which the dimensions of the pyramid were also read wrong), either way, it is dubious that both wrong readings give the same date.

I see more than a significant reason to doubt them.

@MadCornishBiker Said
Ah yes, lol, but you know as well as I do that speaking as something does not mean being it.
Again, not this "prophet" but this one "speaking as a prophet" again not the same thing.

And yet, in that quote they clearly say to test their claim to prophet-hood based on their record. Well, their record clearly shows that they do not hear from God or the Holy Spirit when predicting future events. This is so self evident it should not even be disputed by you or anyone else.

@MadCornishBiker Said
Because they are His representatives on earth, and the ones through whom He reveals all "new" spiritual truths and understandings. They are the one spoken of in prophecy by Proverbs 4:18 But the path of the righteous ones is like the bright light that is getting lighter and lighter until the day is firmly established. 19 The way of the wicked ones is like the gloom; they have not known at what they keep stumbling.

And again, we see cult logic in action - they hold their errors aloft as proof that they are right.

How can one possibly argue against that?

To restate the JW position in layman's terms; "If we are not proven wrong, this shows that we are right. If we are proven wrong, this shows that we are right."

@MadCornishBiker Said
Actually they often make me think of this one in Isaiah 26:7 "The path of the righteous one is uprightness. You being upright, you will smooth out the very course of a righteous one. 8 Yes, for the path of your judgments, O Jehovah, we have hoped in you. For your name and for your memorial the desire of the soul has been. 9 With my soul I have desired you in the night; yes, with my spirit within me I keep looking for you; because, when there are judgments from you for the earth, righteousness is what the inhabitants of the productive land will certainly learn. 10 Though the wicked one should be shown favor, he simply will not learn righteousness. In the land of straightforwardness he will act unjustly and will not see the eminence of Jehovah." Especially verses 8 and 9, which applied to me as a child also.

I have no doubt that the average JW is genuine. This does not make them right though.

@MadCornishBiker Said
That is covered by the above scriptures really, but the main point is that only one organisation can be, and that organisation has to be one that lives and works in greater harmony than any other,that strives as a body to be "one" with Jehovah, just as Jesus prayed to his Father his followers would be. As in John 17:11-14 “Also, I am no longer in the world, but they are in the world and I am coming to you. Holy Father, watch over them on account of your own name which you have given me, in order that they may be one just as we are. 12 When I was with them I used to watch over them on account of your own name which you have given me; and I have kept them, and not one of them is destroyed except the son of destruction, in order that the scripture might be fulfilled. 13 But now I am coming to you, and I am speaking these things in the world in order that they may have my joy in themselves to the full. 14 I have given your word to them, but the world has hated them, because they are no part of the world, just as I am no part of the world."

Clearly, we read that differently. I would argue that Christians are one in the sense of following Christ, not one in the sense of belonging to one church.

Christ says that where two or more are gathered in his name, he will be there in the midst of them. He does not even hint that they are required to belong to one church or another. They are to follow him, not a church organisation.

@MadCornishBiker Said
[...] Do you think holding past mistakes against someone fits anywhere in that group of Christian fruitage? If Christ held past mistakes against any of us, there would be no JW's, nor would there be anyone to teach the resurrected ones when they are brought back from the grave. In short, there would be no hope for any of us, and no pint in Jesus sacrifice. By doing what you do you "impale the Christ anew". I know God has forgiven them for past mistakes, just as I know He has forgiven me, and my mistakes were far more serious than any they made. I can't say I have managed all of the errors in this list, but far too many of them anyway.

1 Corinthians 6:9-11 "What! Do YOU not know that unrighteous persons will not inherit God’s kingdom? Do not be misled. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men kept for unnatural purposes, nor men who lie with men, 10 nor thieves, nor greedy persons, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit God’s kingdom. 11 And yet that is what some of YOU were. But YOU have been washed clean, but YOU have been sanctified, but YOU have been declared righteous in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ and with the spirit of our God."

Even if God had, at the time, considered what Russell did as a form of idolatry, as you apparently do, that comes under that list of things people can be forgiven if they turn their back on them, as Russell did, and the JWs have with their mistakes.

Here at least in part, we find a point of agreement. If we were expected to be perfect, then, there is no hope for any of us. Whether Christian or not, perfection is a thing of which we are incapable, as Paul says in Romans, and John in 1 John.

The problem with the JWs that I have in this regard is that they call Christians liars, apostates, wicked, servants of Satan etc., then cry foul when we point out their list of errors and forays into paganism.

@MadCornishBiker Said
The bible talks about the true Christian congregation as the source of the waters of life. Pull away from the source of those waters of life and you either die of thirst (spiritually) or you take on boards the wormwood of Apostate Christianity as you have. So yes. What Russell said is true, since the literature produced by the JWs is the source of all spiritual food, which comes from the bible.

So, people cannot be led to truth through reading the bible? They require JW interpretive texts to assist them?

Is this not following the doctrines of men?

@MadCornishBiker Said
If he did indeed deliberately lie then no it would not be a good thing, but I very seriously doubt that he did, however again that is past and is between him and Jehovah now so it is none of our business. Without definitive evidence that it was not only wrong but deliberately so,and intended to deceive, I shall not judge what I do not know about. Should you? Do you know what was going through his mind at the time? I seriously doubt it. I suspect that cone again you are listening to too many Apostate lies. One thing becoming a JW taught me, which I hadn't learned on my own, was how to forgive past mistakes in others so that mine can be forgiven also.

On Russell's pyramid reading errors, his sin is not one I can forgive (by this I mean, this sin has nothing to do with me, so my forgiveness is not needed or required. It has nothing to do with me). Was it Paul who told people to consider the ways of church leaders? I have considered the way of the JWs and find them dubious.

@MadCornishBiker Said
No they have not proved wrong on everything that can be proved. 1914 is not wrong, nor was it. Only some of their ideas of the significance of it were wrong. It was and is still the approximate date of the founding of God's kingdom in the Heavens. They just compressed the time-scale of things after it in their understandable impatience.

Well, this is fair enough in a way, I suppose. The fact that not everyone alive in 1914 is now dead means that it has not proven wrong, however, this is not the same as saying it is proven right.

However, even if it turns out that this world system *does* end soon, this does not prove the JWs right either. Again, I can say, "The world will end before this generation passes away," leaving a 120 year odd window for it to happen. It will hardly prove conclusive if in fact this turns out to be correct, will it?

@MadCornishBiker Said
The brothers didn't actually say that most of those dates would be when Armageddon happened, though they did feel that 1918 was a probable date because WWI was so catastrophic in comparison to anything that had happened before they felt it may have been a part of Armageddon.

Actually, this is false. The JWs said this system would end a few times at X date, but it did not happen.

@MadCornishBiker Said
To understand that you have to understand just how totally different from anything that had ever gone before WWI was. In the circumstances, and with the hope they had in mind it is hardly surprising that they got a little carried away. I wonder how you would have felt at the time? I am not sure I would not have been very tempted to go the same way. Do you ever try to put yourself in the shoes of these ones to help understand them? Somehow I wouldn't imagine that you do, you don't strike me as having that much empathy.

My career is based on empathy, as I help kids from difficult situations to see themselves and life a bit differently. So far, I have been pretty successful. Doing it requires quite a lot of empathy and patience etc. I am not a great teacher necessarily, but I manage to help most of the kids I work with.

As to empathising with the JWs - I have said before that I believe they are genuine. And yes, I can understand them getting caught up in the events of the time. Russell even spoke of the battle between capital and labour in his book about end-times and pyramids - I can understand that too. I am a history teacher

It is not that they were wrong that bothers me. I have my idea (shared with many others) about how to interpret what is happening now. However, I also allow for the distinct possibility that I am wrong. I accept that I will be wrong in many things, but, maybe I will prove totally wrong

On this, time will tell.

@MadCornishBiker Said
If you cannot accept my explanation by now, you never will. Not only do the JWs say that all who teach pagan doctrine are Apostates, so does the bible. The trinity is,and always was, a pagan teaching.

No, I am not asking about the trinity. I am specifically asking you to point out where in that online anti-trinity pamphlet the JWs call the anti-Nicene fathers apostate. The JW text quotes these early church fathers as though they all repudiate the trinity doctrine, however, they all support that doctrine.

I am saying that the JWs lied by presenting these people as early Christians that denied the trinity doctrine.

And, I am asking you to prove me wrong, by showing me where in that pamphlet the JWs refer to these men as apostates.

@MadCornishBiker Said
Yes Christians do, Apostates who teach the trinity according to the conditions of their membership of the World Council of Churches don't. They follow the Athanasian Creed and have no choice but to do so. That creed teaches that they are one God, which is not the same as being different, nor could it be. It defies logic and reason.

All this shows is a failure to understand the trinity. Christ as God is not God the Father. They share the same essence, but perform different roles. I am not sure why that is hard to understand.

@MadCornishBiker Said
Of course it is the meaning you find, because you have absolutely no desire to listen to what the bible actual says, unless it agrees with you. Firstborn does not mean pre-eminent and cannot reasonably be twisted to do so. It means precisely that which it says, born first.

Regarding Christ being created; John 1:3 All things came into existence through [Jesus], and apart from him not even one thing came into existence.

Now, is this statement true or false?

On the meaning of "firstborn" see, for example, Psalm 89:19 At that time [Jehovah] spoke in a vision to your loyal ones, And you proceeded to say: “I have placed help upon a mighty one; I have exalted a chosen one from among the people [...] 27 Also, I myself shall place him as firstborn, The most high of the kings of the earth.

This part of psalm 89 is speaking of king David (although it is fair to say that it has Messianic overtones). However, this clearly shows that "firstborn" does not merely mean the first born, but "preeminence."

Banned

#149New Post! Mar 18, 2012 @ 00:50:01
@bob_the_fisherman Said

Why is it illogical to claim that you tell the whole absolute truth and speak only the truth of God's word, not interpretations of God's word, when you have been repeatedly shown to be interpreting the bible wrong? Do you really need me to explain this?

You can't explain ti because it isn't true.

I have not been shown to be interpreting the bible wrong. For every wrongly interpreted scripture you have brought up I have brought up a number that show you how wrong you are.

Accept it or accept it not, facts are facts and you cannot change them.

@bob_the_fisherman Said

Fair enough. But, what about those revealed truths that are the contradicted by later revealed truths? According to JWs, this world ended in 1874, then 1874 became some great harvest time, then, all the saints were to be removed from earth before 1914, then, 1914 was the end of this world system, then, 1914 was the last generation and the end was going to come in 1918, then 1925, then, before the last person born in 1914 dies.

What about them. They have been corrected, that is all that matters. If they got something wrong then God reveals that when He wants to, not when we want Him to.

@bob_the_fisherman Said

This is not infallible progressive revelation nor anything that could be mistaken for it.

It is revealed truth, which gets closer to infallible as it is revealed.

The trouble is that you cannot see the truth for all the prejudiced ideas you have been fooled into taking on board.

At least I found my beliefs on my own without interference from any man, long before I came across the JWs. Everything I post comes from scripture, yours all comes from Apostate literature and interpretations.

Lets face it, you can't even see how ridiculous the trinity is despite the fact that it was obvious enough to an 8 year old. I guess I had the advantage as a child of trusting no-one. You could do with losing your trust in men and putting it in God instead.

@bob_the_fisherman Said

And yet they tell you, it seems, that Christ is not the Alpha and Omega, but he calls himself Alpha and Omega in Revelation 22. If they have all truth, why do you not know what the term "Son of God" meant to the Jews - especially considering that John made it blisteringly clear in John 5:18? Why do you not know that "firstborn" means "preeminent," not "created," - if they have all this revealed truth, why don't you have it?

And you accuse me of interpreting things, lol. I don't know that firstborn means pre-eminent for the simple reason that it only does so in the warped minds of trinitarian Apostates. In reality it means exactly what it says. Firstborn means the one who was born first. It always ahs, and does so especially in the context of that scripture.

Be fair, you can't even accept the acknowledged word of Historians, even from within the Catholic Church that the trinity wasn't an accepted Christian teaching until the 4th century, and if anyone should know it is the Catholics since they introduced it. You are simply too fully duped by Apostates, Satan's messengers.

https://www.earlychristianhistory.info/trinity.html

As this points out, even at Nicea the Holy Spirit was "left out, lol.

And people say I am brainwashed, lol.

No you would rather stick with your traditions of men, just as the Pharisees that Jesus condemned did.

@bob_the_fisherman Said

No offence, but this is actually funny.

Genesis 18 Afterward Jehovah appeared to [Abraham] among the big trees of Mam´re... [Abraham] said: “Jehovah, if, now, I have found favor in your eyes, please do not pass by your servant." [...] 13 Then Jehovah said to Abraham: “Why was it that Sarah laughed...?" [...]Jehovah said: “The cry of complaint about Sod´om and Go·mor´rah, yes, it is loud, and their sin, yes, it is very heavy. 21 I am quite determined to go down that I may see whether they act altogether according to the outcry over it that has come to me, and, if not, I can get to know it.”

The bible, Abraham and Jehovah, all call Jehovah Jehovah, but, the "Jehovah's Witnesses" disagree, and say this is not Jehovah, don't they?

According to the JWs, who is this Jehovah?

And yet, based on sound evidence, I say the same of you. JW belief makes the bible, Jehovah and Abraham all liars in Genesis 18, and makes Christ a liar and false prophet when he prophesied that he would raise his body from the dead.

Indeed.

And yet, you have said repeatedly that you speak only as you are guided by the Spirit. Are you saying that you sometimes get this guidance wrong, or, that the spirit deceives you, or, that perhaps sometimes you think it is God's Spirit, but it is someone else?

If you are wrong on some things that the spirit prompts you on, then, you are wrong on some things. To say, as the JWs do in effect, that 'we are only wrong on the things that have been proven wrong,' (ie, the false prophecies), is rather absurd. There is no logical basis for accepting this, and appears based more on pride than sound reasoning.

When your belief makes the bible a lie, it should be cause for concern and reconsideration. I have given three examples here of this very thing - and if we throw in the fact that Jehovah also spoke with Adam and Eve, we have a fourth.

But clearly this is false. I put it to you that Christ as God is far more harmonising with scripture than Christ as Michael.

It not only explains who Adam, Eve, Abraham and Sarah spoke to, but it also eliminates ridiculous renderings of verses like, "God is your throne," when the verse reads more accurately as, "Your throne, Oh God."

Throw in the fact 'Son of God' means, according to *both* John (5:18) and the Jewish people (John 10:33) that Christ claimed to be equal with God, and Christ saying "I and the Father are one," and both Christ and God being the Alpha and Omega, and both being our eternal father, both being "Mighty God," and Christ being perfect, and being the very "likeness of God" and being with God in the beginning, and "all things were created through him" and all things were created for him, and you start to see a compelling case. Then, you add in the most likely rendering of John 1:1, and it all starts to make sense.

It is no wonder that the early Christians all taught the deity of Christ, including guys like Ignatius of Antioch (30-107AD), who was born before Christ died, wrote at the same time as the Apostles, to the same churches, and was never castigated as an apostate, despite repeatedly speaking of the deity of Christ.

And yet, the JWs, amongst their many harsh and judgmental statements about Christians, say that they are guilty of ecumenism. Further, they castigate ecumenism and call it leaven that leavens the whole batch of dough. But, when they get caught in blatant paganism, they merely disregard it with a casual "oh, yes, that was a mistake but we don't do that now, and be careful not to judge us you apostate liars and demon spawned wicked servant of Satan, because God does not like people to judge people."

With the measure you use, MCB, it will be measured back to you. But again, I am not calling JWs evil, or apostate, or liars, or fools, or servants of Satan as the JWs call me, I am merely calling them deceived. Although, to be fair, I am also calling Russell, at the very least, a deceiver. His blatant lies about the pyramid that he read are enough to lable him a false teacher and or liar (again, I will happily say that no doubt he did these things for what he thought were good reasons, but this does not change the fact that he lied to people).

And this too, is false. I have provided you with quotes from their own written works wherein they claim to be prophets.

And here again, we see the JWs inability to interpret the bible. Paul here is not even speaking about prophecy. It is merely a passing remark comparing prophecy to love. The entire point that Paul is making is that love is to be an unceasing, constant, 24/7 part of Christian life. In this, love is unique, and is greater than prophecy or any other spiritual gift.

And herein we see yet another major problem. The JWs have so far said that the world will end in 1874, 1914, 1918, sometimes in the early 1920s, and 1925 that I have found evidence for (although there are others). They have also claimed that all JWs would be lifted from earth and changed prior to 1914. Now, they claim that the end will come before the everyone that was alive in 1914 dies. And, as you have said yourself, if God chooses to keep someone from 1914 alive for 150 years, then, so be it...

Now, colour me cynical, but, I too can say, "this world system will end sometime in the next 150 years," and be fairly confident that no-one that is alive now will be around to call me a liar. I really do not even need to pretend that the Holy Spirit helped me with that 'revelation.'

I know that the JWs use this to justify themselves, but, this too, is false. Under law, there was the Jews (who split anyway), but, we are not under law. When Phillip spoke to and converted the Ethiopian, he sent him on his way. He did not say, "you need to join such and such church." Christ also at times healed people and sent them off to tell people what had happened - he did not say, you need to join this church. When the disciples rebuked someone for preaching Christ because he did not follow the disciples and Jesus, Jesus told them not to. He did not say, "the guy is not a follower of mine because he is not with us."

But again, there is no reason to accept this, other than the say so of people who have been shown wrong time and again, and whose current prediction smacks of paganism - whether the 1914 date was arrived at via poor knowledge of biblical history (they have the wrong date for the fall of Jerusalem as their starting point), or, through pagan pyramid reading (in which the dimensions of the pyramid were also read wrong), either way, it is dubious that both wrong readings give the same date.

I see more than a significant reason to doubt them.

And yet, in that quote they clearly say to test their claim to prophet-hood based on their record. Well, their record clearly shows that they do not hear from God or the Holy Spirit when predicting future events. This is so self evident it should not even be disputed by you or anyone else.

And again, we see cult logic in action - they hold their errors aloft as proof that they are right.

How can one possibly argue against that?

To restate the JW position in layman's terms; "If we are not proven wrong, this shows that we are right. If we are proven wrong, this shows that we are right."

I have no doubt that the average JW is genuine. This does not make them right though.

Clearly, we read that differently. I would argue that Christians are one in the sense of following Christ, not one in the sense of belonging to one church.

Christ says that where two or more are gathered in his name, he will be there in the midst of them. He does not even hint that they are required to belong to one church or another. They are to follow him, not a church organisation.

Here at least in part, we find a point of agreement. If we were expected to be perfect, then, there is no hope for any of us. Whether Christian or not, perfection is a thing of which we are incapable, as Paul says in Romans, and John in 1 John.

The problem with the JWs that I have in this regard is that they call Christians liars, apostates, wicked, servants of Satan etc., then cry foul when we point out their list of errors and forays into paganism.

So, people cannot be led to truth through reading the bible? They require JW interpretive texts to assist them?

Is this not following the doctrines of men?

On Russell's pyramid reading errors, his sin is not one I can forgive. Was it Paul who told people to consider the ways of church leaders? I have considered the way of the JWs and find them dubious.

Well, this is fair enough in a way, I suppose. The fact that not everyone alive in 1914 is now dead means that it has not proven wrong, however, this is not the same as saying it is proven right.

However, even if it turns out that this world system *does* end soon, this does not prove the JWs right either. Again, I can say, "The world will end before this generation passes away," leaving a 120 year odd window for it to happen. It will hardly prove conclusive if in fact this turns out to be correct, will it?

Actually, this is false. The JWs said this system would end a few times at X date, but it did not happen.

My career is based on empathy, as I help kids from difficult situations to see themselves and life a bit differently. So far, I have been pretty successful. Doing it requires quite a lot of empathy and patience etc. I am not a great teacher necessarily, but I manage to help most of the kids I work with.

As to empathising with the JWs - I have said before that I believe they are genuine. And yes, I can understand them getting caught up in the events of the time. Russell even spoke of the battle between capital and labour in his book about end-times and pyramids - I can understand that too. I am a history teacher

It is not that they were wrong that bothers me. I have my idea (shared with many others) about how to interpret what is happening now. However, I also allow for the distinct possibility that I am wrong. I accept that I will be wrong in many things, but, maybe I will prove totally wrong

On this, time will tell.

No, I am not asking about the trinity. I am specifically asking you to point out where in that online anti-trinity pamphlet the JWs call the anti-Nicene fathers apostate. The JW text quotes these early church fathers as though they all repudiate the trinity doctrine, however, they all support that doctrine.

I am saying that the JWs lied by presenting these people as early Christians that denied the trinity doctrine.

And, I am asking you to prove me wrong, by showing me where in that pamphlet the JWs refer to these men as apostates.

All this shows is a failure to understand the trinity. Christ as God is not God the Father. They share the same essence, but perform different roles. I am not sure why that is hard to understand.

Regarding Christ being created; John 1:3 All things came into existence through [Jesus], and apart from him not even one thing came into existence.

Now, is this statement true or false?

On the meaning of "firstborn" see, for example, Psalm 89:19 At that time [Jehovah] spoke in a vision to your loyal ones, And you proceeded to say: “I have placed help upon a mighty one; I have exalted a chosen one from among the people [...] 27 Also, I myself shall place him as firstborn, The most high of the kings of the earth.

This part of psalm 89 is speaking of king David (although it is fair to say that it has Messianic overtones). However, this clearly shows that "firstborn" does not merely mean the first born, but "preeminence."

Jehovah is given credit for many things in scripture because He was the originator. Abraham could only have been talking to Jehovah through the Angels.

Why?

Simple.

John 1:18 No man has seen God at any time; the only-begotten god who is in the bosom [position] with the Father is the one that has explained him.

So, Jesus says no man has seen God at any time? If that is true how can you harmonise it with Genesis 18? Simple. As I say, Abraham was addressing Jehovah through the angle. That is the onyl way it can possiblty work otherwise Either God, or Jesus was lying, and that could never be.

This is what I mean when I say, as I often do, the bible interprets itself if you make the effort to find out how, but you have to know it extremely well to get there.

You have to go for the "obvious" or you couldn't believe what you do, but once you accept the fact that the bible really is God's word then you have to accept that if two scriptures appear to contradict, as John 1:18, and Genesis 18:1 appear to do, you have understood something wrongly. The difference between you, your Apostate "teachers", and the JWs and I is that we have learned that lesson and have changed our beliefs to fit the new understanding everytime we have had to rationalise apparent contradictions.

No matter how often I show you the contraindications that the trinity teaching brings in you still cling to it as if it were a life raft in the middle of the ocean.

So, again I ask you. Genesis 18:1 and John 1:18 appear to contradict, but there can be no contradiction in God's word so, which is true? Is Jesus lying? No, never may that be. In which case all the examples of ones seeing or speaking to Jehovah have to be an angel addresses as Jehovah because Jehovah was the source of the message.

As I say, repeatedly, the bible interprets itself and those two scriptures show a good example of how it does. how it does.

I'm only going to pick bits out of your posts to reply to in future. There is obviously no point in spending hours correcting you when you don't want to accept your error. However once you start realising that it is you, and those you have learned from who are interpreting scripture,and wrongly at that, then you may just start getting somewhere.

One must always let scripture interpret itself to get at what God is actually saying.

Phoenix,
#150New Post! Mar 18, 2012 @ 05:11:27
@MadCornishBiker Said

Everything I post comes from scripture, yours all comes from Apostate literature and interpretations.

Nonsense. I've asked you repeatedly to show me from scripture why your governing body allows JW's to take hemoglobin but forbids them from taking platelets. You refuse to do it because you know there is no Biblical basis for this policy. You teach the commands of men as coming from God even though you know Jesus condemns this. Matt.15:9
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 ...8 9 10 11 12 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs