The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Society & Lifestyles

Is what we see as evil, really evil? or is it just society telling us so?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
6dark6dreams6 On August 19, 2010

hereford, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Feb 18, 2008 @ 23:53:27
Would we naturally know the difference between right and wrong or do we only know this because of society and our upbringing?
What I?m asking is; are the things we deem as evil really evil? or do we only say it is because it is built into us by society? Without society, what would our morals be like? would we have them at all? Do feral children know the difference between right and wrong?
xxluV_ForEveR_xx On December 09, 2009

London, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Feb 19, 2008 @ 00:18:52
That's an interesting question. I suppose society and how we've been brought up plays a big part in our perception, on life's wrongs and rights. Personally, I know the definition of evil.

hereford, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Feb 19, 2008 @ 00:20:10
@xxluv_forever_xx Said
That's an interesting question. I suppose society and how we've been brought up plays a big part in our perception, on life's wrongs and rights. Personally, I know the definition of evil.

And what is the definition of evil?
And would you know the naturally?
negasable On August 05, 2008

Deleted

West Side, California
#4New Post! Feb 19, 2008 @ 00:20:38
There is no "real" evil, only things we deem as evil. Some people say being gay is evil, or that TV is evil, and some say they aren't.

Society is a major influence in what most people believe, and kids are taught certain things, like what's evil and what's good, but people grow up over time, and figure things out for themselves and change their minds. So without society, people probably would eventually form their own morals and beliefs.
xxluV_ForEveR_xx On December 09, 2009

London, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Feb 19, 2008 @ 00:24:52
@6dark6dreams6 Said
And what is the definition of evil?
And would you know the naturally?

When you feel a great fear of something, which is causing your body extreme anxiety, disgust maybe. I would know, yep!!

hereford, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Feb 19, 2008 @ 00:24:52
@negasable Said
There is no "real" evil, only things we deem as evil. Some people say being gay is evil, or that TV is evil, and some say they aren't.

Society is a major influence in what most people believe, and kids are taught certain things, like what's evil and what's good, but people grow up over time, and figure things out for themselves and change their minds. So without society, people probably would eventually form their own morals and beliefs.

Really? think about it. Take killing for example, now thats built into most of that is 'wrong', but is it really? Years ago, killing someone wasnt that much a big deal, nor is it a big deal in the animal kingdom. Without all the influences of religion, law etc etc would we really think killing is wrong? If you were taken out of society as a baby and left to you own devices, or if you were a feral child, would you form these morals?
Of course, im only using killing as one example, there are many more.

hereford, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Feb 19, 2008 @ 00:26:32
@xxluv_forever_xx Said
When you feel a great fear of something, which is causing your body extreme anxiety, disgust maybe. I would know, yep!!

But you can argue that animals get these same feelings, but its mere survival instinct, not because they think something is evil.

hereford, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Feb 19, 2008 @ 00:31:55
well i got to go now, but carry on discussing without me
negasable On August 05, 2008

Deleted

West Side, California
#9New Post! Feb 19, 2008 @ 00:43:40
@6dark6dreams6 Said
Really? think about it. Take killing for example, now thats built into most of that is 'wrong', but is it really? Years ago, killing someone wasnt that much a big deal, nor is it a big deal in the animal kingdom. Without all the influences of religion, law etc etc would we really think killing is wrong? If you were taken out of society as a baby and left to you own devices, or if you were a feral child, would you form these morals?
Of course, im only using killing as one example, there are many more.

We probably wouldn't believe the same things, but there would probably be another form of beliefs like religion or law. The animal kingdom though doesn't really have a system of beliefs, its instincts and survival of the fittest for them.

If we took a baby and isolated it from society (assuming that it can get its nutrients and shelter) they'd probably be like an animal, and try to survive without a second thought, that's just a thought, i dunno if it'd really happen, and i don't want to know.

I'm really not sure how exactly civilization started or when people began forming beliefs, there is no way to be 100 percent sure, but we can be sure that things change, and everything starts small and grows.
loveis On January 15, 2010
brat-inella

Deleted

In the mirror,
#10New Post! Feb 19, 2008 @ 05:23:23
@6dark6dreams6 Said
Would we naturally know the difference between right and wrong or do we only know this because of society and our upbringing?
What I?m asking is; are the things we deem as evil really evil? or do we only say it is because it is built into us by society? Without society, what would our morals be like? would we have them at all? Do feral children know the difference between right and wrong?

I believe initially, it is something instilled in us by parents and so forth..but as we mature, and learn to think for ourselves, these differences are innate, at least with me I know they are..
I believe the vast majority of people do know by nature the difference between right and wrong; also, I believe most people, will push you to the limit and get away with what they can for as long as you let them - minus a handful..it is this 'latter group', whenever Iam lucky enough to stumble across them, that I cherish the most in my life

hereford, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Feb 19, 2008 @ 17:22:57
Quote:
We probably wouldn't believe the same things, but there would probably be another form of beliefs like religion or law. The animal kingdom though doesn't really have a system of beliefs, its instincts and survival of the fittest for them.

Thats my point, what most people deem as totally wrong and evil (like killing children for example) might not actually be , it could just be societies influence. If situation allowed, we might think totally differently, and if society formed differently we might even think what that is is something 'holy'. So, we don't really know the difference between good and evil by nature, its the way we are brought up. If we were brought up differently, in a totally different society, with different morals etc, we would of course have a different view on whats good and bad. If that makes sense.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs