The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Politics

Is two thousand six hundred and fifty nine billion dollars too much to pay for th

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
justvr On February 20, 2006

, Wallis and Futuna
#1New Post! Jan 10, 2006 @ 01:38:46
Check this out:
https://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,17779287-23109,00.html

, Wallis and Futuna
#2New Post! Jan 10, 2006 @ 01:45:17
The estimated population of Iraq at July 1995 was just over 26 million. So
instead of having the war, each one of them could have been paid just over
$100,000 instead....

Or the money could have been spent on something else?
whiter_light On October 21, 2008

Melbourne, Australia
#3New Post! Jan 10, 2006 @ 06:00:12
The cost of the war currently stands at $232,461,173,510.

To put it into perspective, this amount could have funded world-wide AIDS programs for 23 years. This money could have also ensured that every child in the world was given basic immunizations for 77 years.
pissyjoey On January 21, 2007

Midwest City, Oklahoma
#4New Post! Jan 10, 2006 @ 07:23:02
"The study says about 30 per cent of US troops had developed mental-health problems within three to four months of returning from Iraq as of July 2005, citing Army statistics."

The same scenario happened following the first Gulf War. Not only mental health problems but a plethora of other health problems experienced by our soldiers in Iraq is directly related to our military's use of depleted uranium ammunition. Several tons of radiactive dust covers Iraq. Iraqi children have experienced a 38% rise in cancer cases. These weapons have been banned by international treaty that the U.S. signed and is now disregarding to the detriment of innocent Iraqis and our own service men and women. God bless America.

, Wallis and Futuna
#5New Post! Jan 10, 2006 @ 09:56:17
So, and I am not picking on the US because this applies to the defence budget of
alll countries, including mine Australia, is the money better spent elsewhere.
Famiine relief, developing third world countries, AIDS research, social service,
developing peace on the planet, or,.........................................do we just keep
paying the same tired arguments, and the same defence contractors who have
been on the pubic tit since the '50's?
bendover On November 25, 2007

Deleted

Muff, Ireland
#6New Post! Jan 10, 2006 @ 10:12:16
The war in Iraq has made a lot of big businesses in America an aweful lot of money.Of the millions spent the vaste majority will be returning to America and not creating wealth in Iraq.

Look at the companies that have beena warded all these very lucrative contracts and the political and business connections between them and the people who made all the decisions regarding that war.

The "cost of war" in real terms is the death and suffering that is inflicted on the innocent people caught up between these power hungry people.

Why did America choose to attack Saddam, a man they had previously givena lot of help to? This unjust war was created by greedy power hungry people.

It's about time the American people seen how they are being manipulated by their masters. How many Senators families are in the armed services loosing their lives in Iraq? America are sending their poor out to die while the rich just get richer from the safety of their bunkers, in the USA.
steraw04 On December 12, 2007

Toronto, Canada
#7New Post! Jan 10, 2006 @ 12:22:46
OMG!!!!
thats preposterous!!!
i knew war cost a lot...but that much?!?
in my opinion our current style of warfare is out of date.
thats why its expensive!
politicians start wars with an end product in hand. The end product is hardly ever reached tho. E.g. vietnam, iraq, the war on terroism...

, Wallis and Futuna
#8New Post! Jan 10, 2006 @ 12:27:49
How much is enough..... How much is too much?
pissyjoey On January 21, 2007

Midwest City, Oklahoma
#9New Post! Jan 10, 2006 @ 16:44:50
@justvr Said
So, and I am not picking on the US because this applies to the defence budget of
alll countries, including mine Australia, is the money better spent elsewhere.
Famiine relief, developing third world countries, AIDS research, social service,
developing peace on the planet,...

Yeah, you're right. I am told that the United States is more devoted to religion than any other western nation. But since our military has been engaged in combat in some country every year for the past fifty years, I doubt that we are a moral nation. Of course morality and religion are not the same thing, and of course, many average Americans don't want our military to bully the world. But we are able, finally, to drop bombs on people because we DO NOT follow the precious Golden Rule in this country. It is too difficult for us to simply remind ourselves that we would not want bombs dropped on our homes and that we should prevent that from happening to other families. I wish I could believe that ours is a nation devoted to ethics.
sheepy On March 23, 2010

Deleted

Treasure Island, United Kingdo
#10New Post! Jan 10, 2006 @ 17:16:39
Makes you wonder, Iraq was pretty much a "one man band" with Saddam. If it was all about removing him, surely that could have been done quietly through covert means.
Wonder even if he would have taken a bribe to retire - still surely less expensive than THAT figure.

Guess it's all politics

, Wallis and Futuna
#11New Post! Jan 10, 2006 @ 21:57:59
@sheepy Said
Makes you wonder, Iraq was pretty much a "one man band" with Saddam. If it
was all about removing him, surely that could have been done quietly through covert means.
Wonder even if he would have taken a bribe to retire - still surely less expensive than THAT
figure.

Guess it's all politics

I'd say OIL, rather than politics...
becki7 On July 28, 2006

Australia
#12New Post! Jan 11, 2006 @ 05:48:56
Wow no it's not worth it I am totally shocked at how much it has cost and will cost, I knew it would be expensive but not when it cost Iraq war was costing the United States $US4.5 billion monthly in military "operating costs" not including procurement of new weapons and equipment.That is just staggering in it self 4.5 BILLION dollars which could be used on much appropiate things then a fake war based on lies.And then I read a paragraph and this is what it saids The projection of a total cost of $US2000 billion assumes US troops stay in Iraq until 2010 but with steadily declining numbers each year. They projected the number of troops there in 2006 at about 136,000. The US now has 153,000 troops in Iraq. They assume I think it might be more along the lines of the truth considering how they said they would be there which is a few months and its just dragging on and on ...doesn't sound familiar?And the other thing that shocked me was how affected the tax payers of america are going to have to pay when the war does end when only bush knows and I just wonder if that's going to be the case for our troops when they come home.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs