The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Religion & Philosophy

Is there such a thing as the "Scientific Mind"?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 · >>
dookie On December 16, 2023
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#31New Post! Aug 07, 2020 @ 15:14:07
@chaski Said

I have a fact and science (mostly math, and nature... insects... but also influenced by other science) mind.

Now, I am not sure about all artists, but I think there is... coulee be... and argument that the musician has a scientific mind.

What about the poet? Such as John Keats, who said that he had "have never yet been able to conceive how anything can be known for truth by consecutive reasoning". As I understand it, the scientific mind, by virtually any definition, is based upon "consecutive reasoning".

Anyway, I've just imbibed a rather strong pint of lager as it is rather hot over here in the UK, so I might just be drifting into mumbo jumbo.

chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#32New Post! Aug 07, 2020 @ 15:34:32
@dookie Said

What about the poet? Such as John Keats, who said that he had "have never yet been able to conceive how anything can be known for truth by consecutive reasoning". As I understand it, the scientific mind, by virtually any definition, is based upon "consecutive reasoning".

Anyway, I've just imbibed a rather strong pint of lager as it is rather hot over here in the UK, so I might just be drifting into mumbo jumbo.

I'm not sure about poets. While one can spend time mechanically crafting poetry, my sense is that most poetry comes for a more "creative" part of the brain. Same with paintings... you can "paint by numbers" and learn technique, but the best painters are using a more "creative" part of the brain.

Studies, at least some, have linked music with math. Clearly there is a "creative" aspect, but there can also be a very structured mathematical (scientific to a point) approach.

Note: I sure that my use of "creative" here will put some off. I get it. I can only say that anyone reading this should not act like the "word police"... feel free to try to understand my point and suggest better word(s). I think, and no one has to agree, that there is a difference between the kind of "creativity" that a painter has, as compared to the kind of creativity that a scientist building a telescope has.

Of course I could be wrong in all of that.
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#33New Post! Aug 07, 2020 @ 16:19:49
@chaski Said

I'm not sure about poets. While one can spend time mechanically crafting poetry, my sense is that most poetry comes for a more "creative" part of the brain. Same with paintings... you can "paint by numbers" and learn technique, but the best painters are using a more "creative" part of the brain.

Studies, at least some, have linked music with math. Clearly there is a "creative" aspect, but there can also be a very structured mathematical (scientific to a point) approach.

Note: I sure that my use of "creative" here will put some off. I get it. I can only say that anyone reading this should not act like the "word police"... feel free to try to understand my point and suggest better word(s). I think, and no one has to agree, that there is a difference between the kind of "creativity" that a painter has, as compared to the kind of creativity that a scientist building a telescope has.

Of course I could be wrong in all of that.

Maybe thinking we could be wrong can be the start of many things. Looking at Jennifers "flow chart" of the scientific process, it had at the very beginning "get an idea" which then bypasses the entire process and brings "revolution". A science thinker, Thomas Kuhn, spoke of a "Paradigm shift".

I'm interested, for various reasons, in whether such is a totally different mode of thought.
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#34New Post! Aug 08, 2020 @ 23:51:21
Further to my previous flow-chart, which laid out the scientific mind in simple terms, here is another one I've found that lays out the religious / philosophic mind in the simplest terms possible for the subject at hand.

Scientists or religious...? Who has the clearer clarity of purpose...?

Darkman666 On about 15 hours ago

Saint Louis, Missouri
#35New Post! Aug 09, 2020 @ 00:11:57
@Jennifer1984 Said

Further to my previous flow-chart, which laid out the scientific mind in simple terms, here is another one I've found that lays out the religious / philosophic mind in the simplest terms possible for the subject at hand.

this could good on application for dating site above, these are kind of things for me. look for in a woman or a golden retiever that i would date.
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#36New Post! Aug 09, 2020 @ 07:15:20
@Jennifer1984 Said

I would say that your Flow Chart was more one of the unenlightened mind, religious or scientific.

Though it did remind me of a recent traumatic experience in Costas, when I hovered for five minutes, undecided between a lemon muffin and a bacon butty.

Have you ever heard of "wu wei"......effortless action? The non-theistic equivalent of St Augustine's "love God and do what you will"?

A flow chart of this would be a box with the word "act" in it. As Goethe said:- "In the beginning was the deed."

Well, that's enough name dropping....

Saint Louis, Missouri
#37New Post! Aug 09, 2020 @ 16:31:55
@dookie Said

I would say that your Flow Chart was more one of the unenlightened mind, religious or scientific.

Though it did remind me of a recent traumatic experience in Costas, when I hovered for five minutes, undecided between a lemon muffin and a bacon butty.

Have you ever heard of "wu wei"......effortless action? The non-theistic equivalent of St Augustine's "love God and do what you will"?

A flow chart of this would be a box with the word "act" in it. As Goethe said:- "In the beginning was the deed."

Well, that's enough name dropping....

which look better to you?

a lemon muffin or this marvous bacon butty below:

4d4m On December 23, 2022

4dforum.org,
#38New Post! Aug 09, 2020 @ 18:12:52
The Scientific Mind is based on a few simple rules and a philosophy. The rules are the rules of logic. An example of the most simplistic logic rules.
with the statement if A then B
!) the statement If B then A is false
2) the statement if not A then not B is false
3) the statement if not B then not A is true

The philosophy behind the Scientific Mind is such that the researcher considers oneself to be an explorer or seeker of the truth. As such one doesn't really know with 100% certainty they are correct. Scientific terms arise from this philosophy.

One doesn't invent mathematical equations, one discovers them.

There is no fact in science, what if our whole universe turns out to be a computer simulated matrix? Therefore, we don't have facts. we have hypotheses that are proposed solutions to observed phenomena and we have theories that are accepted solutions to observed phenomena. In this sense theories are as workable as facts, unless new observable phenomena changes or alters our understanding.
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#39New Post! Aug 09, 2020 @ 18:52:05
@4d4m Said

The Scientific Mind is based on a few simple rules and a philosophy. The rules are the rules of logic. An example of the most simplistic logic rules.
with the statement if A then B
!) the statement If B then A is false
2) the statement if not A then not B is false
3) the statement if not B then not A is true

The philosophy behind the Scientific Mind is such that the researcher considers oneself to be an explorer or seeker of the truth. As such one doesn't really know with 100% certainty they are correct. Scientific terms arise from this philosophy.

One doesn't invent mathematical equations, one discovers them.

There is no fact in science, what if our whole universe turns out to be a computer simulated matrix? Therefore, we don't have facts. we have hypotheses that are proposed solutions to observed phenomena and we have theories that are accepted solutions to observed phenomena. In this sense theories are as workable as facts, unless new observable phenomena changes or alters our understanding.

Thanks for your interest. I think I'm beginning to see why the "scientific revolution" arose in the West, irrespective of one or two discoveries and applications arising in China and India (for instance)

Personally I am not strong on logic, struggling at the first syllogism. Probably why my ears pick up at the mention of intuition, and perhaps why many of my posts have been dismissed as mumbo jumbo!

However, I do have an interest in such things.

For anyone interested, from a book (I think possibly on Jung and Tibetan Buddhism but I'm not sure)

The basis of European science is logos intellection, formalized by Aristotle as following three laws: the law of identity, the law of contradiction and the law of the excluded middle. Logic in the Buddhist tradition, by contrast, is based in lemma (meaning to understand as a whole not with language, but with intuition). Lemma-based science born in the Buddhist tradition shows that rational perception is possible even without the three laws of logos.

Removing the law of identity leads to “nothing remains the same”. Removing the law of contradiction leads to the understanding that ‘“ A is B” and ‘A is not B’ are mutually compatible’”. Removing the law of the excluded middle leads to “all things cannot be divided”, and the understanding that “all things are connected (inseparable)”. All things are interrelated in this lemma way. In Buddhism, this phase of existence revealed when the three laws of logos are removed is called “dependent origination” (pratîtyasamutpâ da).

For Buddhism - as for all "religion" - salvation/enlightenment is the bottom line, rather than technological advancement. There is much interest in all this in today's Faith Traditions, even a "meeting" of so called "eastern" and "western" ways.

Two little quotes to finish, which my intuition tells me are "true", even life giving...

"The Tao can be shared but not divided"

...and from William Blake:- "We murder to dissect"
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#40New Post! Aug 09, 2020 @ 18:57:24
@darkman666 Said

which look better to you?

a lemon muffin or this marvous bacon butty below:

Based upon the picture alone, I'm more for the lemon muffin.

Saint Louis, Missouri
#41New Post! Aug 09, 2020 @ 19:09:51
@dookie Said

Based upon the picture alone, I'm more for the lemon muffin.

i thought you might into mrs. dookie's dark chocolate shred stringing doos from the bathroom or step in patch fresh goodies from the oven.
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#42New Post! Aug 10, 2020 @ 07:40:26
@darkman666 Said

i thought you might into mrs. dookie's dark chocolate shred stringing doos from the bathroom or step in patch fresh goodies from the oven.

Hey, how did you get to hear about the "shred stringing doos"??

Saint Louis, Missouri
#43New Post! Aug 10, 2020 @ 15:07:26
@dookie Said

Hey, how did you get to hear about the "shred stringing doos"??

in america, we put them in a brown paper bag, and leave on people's doormat and ring the bell. the owner of the house open the door and look and in the bag.

we call " mrs. doodie's dog dooes in the bag."
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#44New Post! Aug 10, 2020 @ 15:38:07
@darkman666 Said

in america, we put them in a brown paper bag, and leave on people's doormat and ring the bell. the owner of the house open the door and look and in the bag.

we call " mrs. doodie's dog dooes in the bag."

Ah! Oh to be young again with legs still able to run fast enough!

Saint Louis, Missouri
#45New Post! Aug 10, 2020 @ 15:43:08
@dookie Said

Ah! Oh to be young again with legs still able to run fast enough!

that's true to be young again, i guess i have come to uk, and to shoot you, olde yeller!
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs