Mental Health

Is there a term for this? Most people seem to suffer from it

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 ...6 7 8 · >>
Electric_Banana On February 05, 2024

, New Zealand
#1New Post! Aug 09, 2013 @ 22:33:38
Only hearing what one is expecting you to say and not hearing what you actually said.

Example:

Banana walks down street and notices woman has been in auto accident, police are tending.

Banana asks if there is anything he can do to help and woman requests that he walks into the jewelry shop around the corner to inform her daughter who works there.

Banana enters shop and begins to speak to the only woman there also fitting the description and she replies back:

"No, I am sorry but I do not know of any shops around here selling comic books or cheap computer software. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to take my break and close the shop."

*runs to back room before banana can say anymore*
futilevoice On October 07, 2016

Deleted

, Illinois
#2New Post! Aug 09, 2013 @ 22:35:51
@Electric_Banana Said

Only hearing what one is expecting you to say and not hearing what you actually said.

Example:

Banana walks down street and notices woman has been in auto accident, police are tending.

Banana asks if there is anything he can do to help and woman requests that he walks into the jewelry shop around the corner to inform her daughter who works there.

Banana enters shop and begins to speak to the only woman there also fitting the description and she replies back:

"No, I am sorry but I do not know of any shops around here selling comic books or cheap computer software. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to take my break and close the shop."

*runs to back room before banana can say anymore*

You are probably the only person who suffers from this. Sorry.
someone_else_again On May 20, 2021
Really. Not a dude.

, Washington
#3New Post! Aug 09, 2013 @ 22:36:33
In your example, the daughter is expecting you to say something about a comic shop and so doesn't hear you talking about her mother in the auto accident? I'm a little fuzzy on the scenario.

I can't say that I've seen that happen enough to say that a lot of people suffer from it, much less most.
ReAdSaLoT On September 23, 2019

#4New Post! Aug 09, 2013 @ 23:42:31
Were you hallucinating? Never heard of this. My husband might have it, he thinks, "Please take out the trash means he should watch TV".
sAeGeSpAeNe On October 05, 2021
Part-time Nidologist

The other Bristol..., Connecti
#5New Post! Aug 10, 2013 @ 00:04:31
@ReAdSaLoT Said

Were you hallucinating? Never heard of this. My husband might have it, he thinks, "Please take out the trash means he should watch TV".

But the real answer to his question is: "Talking Banana"
LuckyCharms On July 31, 2021
Magically Delicious

#6New Post! Aug 10, 2013 @ 00:12:29
It all depends on how you present yourself.

Not always fair? Most definitely.

The way it works regardless of fairness? Most definitely.

If you present yourself in a certain manner you cannot be surprised when you are handled in that certain manner.
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#7New Post! Aug 10, 2013 @ 01:21:37
Example:

eb does not say what is important first?

ACCIDENT yadda yadda vs yadda yadda ACCIDENT?
Erimitus On July 01, 2021

The mind of God, Antarctica
#8New Post! Aug 10, 2013 @ 01:40:06
Self fulfilling prophecy. We all perceive what we expect to perceive and disregard the rest. This is grossly normal behavior.
puzZles On November 13, 2020

Inside my mind's mind, United
#9New Post! Aug 10, 2013 @ 16:18:04
Denial

#10New Post! Aug 10, 2013 @ 18:19:39
@puzZles Said

Denial

Yeah, I have heard it called perception bias...
chaski On about 15 hours ago
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#11New Post! Aug 10, 2013 @ 19:02:12
Is there a term for this?

@Electric_Banana Said

Depends on what exactly you said to her.

, New Zealand
#12New Post! Aug 10, 2013 @ 23:59:07
@someone_else_again Said

In your example, the daughter is expecting you to say something about a comic shop and so doesn't hear you talking about her mother in the auto accident? I'm a little fuzzy on the scenario.

I can't say that I've seen that happen enough to say that a lot of people suffer from it, much less most.

A lot of Kiwis, here in Zealand, seem to hear what they are expecting to hear and not what you said.

For instance I've had to interviews with employers where I asked a question that had nothing to do with salary yet they answered me back with salary quotes.

Kind of like everyone before me were all reacting in the same scripted manner and the employer had remembered the lines so was no longer listing and just following suite to every question in order from memory.

Or telemarketing:

ie; You explain that you are raising donations for children...you do so clearly, loudly, rephrased several times over yet they still reply with "No, I do not wish to purchase any children as I am satisfied with the amount of children that I already have."

, New Zealand
#13New Post! Aug 11, 2013 @ 00:02:40
@Erimitus Said

Self fulfilling prophecy. We all perceive what we expect to perceive and disregard the rest. This is grossly normal behavior.

Law of Attraction - Otherwise known as 'Accidental telepathic puppeteering on a subliminal level.'

#14New Post! Aug 11, 2013 @ 00:40:45
@Electric_Banana Said

Law of Attraction - Otherwise known as 'Accidental telepathic puppeteering on a subliminal level.'

I miss LTP.

, New Zealand
#15New Post! Aug 11, 2013 @ 10:27:14
@Erimitus Said

I miss LTP.

"Fenchurch"
Extremely unique to most women I've met. I hope she's getting on well where ever she is currently.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 ...6 7 8 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs