The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Relationships:
Homosexuality

Is the term "gays" politically or gramatically correct?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
smallBUTTerflies On January 07, 2020
Weaker than homeopat

Plymouth,
#1New Post! Apr 10, 2010 @ 14:21:21
Or is it "more proper" to say gay people?

Discuss
hallucinogenic_lipstick On January 25, 2022
Cocksocket.

Ely, Cambridgeshire, United Ki
#2New Post! Apr 10, 2010 @ 14:24:35
When I discuss gay topics with my brother I tend to say gay people, if I'm messing about I say 'the gays'.

He's never corrected me on either so i'm curious to know now to lol!
Nickwstp On February 07, 2022

Area X, Iraq
#3New Post! Apr 10, 2010 @ 14:25:34
I think that "homosexual" is correct for straight people, but I've heard them (gays) call each other fags before... ...mostly men I guess.

Maybe it's sorts like black people calling each other niggas n what not. straight people can't call gay people fags, but gay people can....

I dunno... does any of that make sense?
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Apr 10, 2010 @ 14:28:11
I prefer calling them The Gays. It registers my disgust of their sinful activities better whilst not sounding to overtly obviously homophobic.

See Also: The Jews, The Blacks, The English, The Huns.
smallBUTTerflies On January 07, 2020
Weaker than homeopat

Plymouth,
#5New Post! Apr 10, 2010 @ 14:28:54
@Nickwstp Said

I think that "homosexual" is correct for straight people, but I've heard them (gays) call each other fags before... ...mostly men I guess.

Maybe it's sorts like black people calling each other niggas n what not. straight people can't call gay people fags, but gay people can....

I dunno... does any of that make sense?

That makes total sense... I would prefer the term "gay people" because "homosexual" kind of seems like they are observing us as scientific creatures or non-human. I often refer to myself as a Dyke when Im being funny...And I call my gay best friend a Poof.

But I tend to avoid saying fag or faggot...
buffalobill90 On July 12, 2013
Powered by tea

Viaticum, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Apr 10, 2010 @ 14:34:01
These things always depend entirely on the context.
Demented On January 31, 2024

, Australia
#7New Post! Apr 10, 2010 @ 14:36:48
I think it's aterm they more gave themselves.

In the Oxford Dictionary,it say's this of Gay

1.a.full of or disposed to or indicating mirth:light-hearted,carefree,sportive:airy,offhand.

2.(euphem)dissolute,immoral:homosexual,frequented by homosexuals.

3. showy,brilliant brightly coloured:finely dressed or decorated with.

4. Hence gai'ly adv-ness n.

5. n.(sl) homosexual.

Now as I say?,that's the Oxford Dictionary so don't blame me for it,because over the years there are many words in the English language that have been changed to something different,hence the reference to Homosexuals.

And just for the record,I'm not homophobic one bit,live and let live is what I say.
forensicgrl94 On November 04, 2014
inspector gadget

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
#8New Post! May 04, 2010 @ 15:47:38
it doesnt really matter as long as they dont say "you are a gay " rather than you are gay. it would be the same as saying you are a straight which doesnt really make sence
someone_else On August 30, 2012
Not a dude.

Deleted

American Alps, Washington
#9New Post! May 04, 2010 @ 15:51:31
@jmo Said

I prefer calling them The Gays. It registers my disgust of their sinful activities better whilst not sounding to overtly obviously homophobic.

See Also: The Jews, The Blacks, The English, The Huns.

I see it like this. I, myself, don't use the term 'gays' but when I hear it said that way I hear it as a put-down. Especially if it's not 'the gays' but ' those gays' - when generalizing all gay people.
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#10New Post! May 07, 2010 @ 10:41:16
The word "Gay" was originally adopted by homosexuals as an acronym for Good As You. It quite simply means that homosexuals are entitled to, and are deserving of, fair and equal treatment.... to be treated the same as heteros.

I suppose "Agay" meaning As Good As You, would have been more grammatically correct, but it wouldn't have been so catchy.

Speaking for myself, I long ago grew a thick enough skin to deflect any phrase, word or term that could be thrown at me as a perjorative. In fact, like Small Butterflies, I'm quite cool about calling myself a dyke. I can sit comfortably with Bean Flicker, Rug Muncher, Lezza.... you name it, I don't mind. In fact, my personal favourite is Vadgetarian. I quite like that one..!!

By using these words myself I disempower them. They can't hurt me.

I don't use the word "Straights" to describe heterosexuals as any sort of insult. Usually I will use "Heteros", but sometimes, "Straights" will slip off the tongue, or onto the screen. No offence intended.

warlock0622 On May 23, 2010

Shinglehouse, Pennsylvania
#11New Post! May 07, 2010 @ 10:53:59
I guess i never cared who other people decided to sleep with. I'm straight. Never thought I had to parade it around like a badge of honor. I think that if people adopt and live a certain lifestyle, it's their choice, and no one else has the right to say whether they are wrong or right. After all, we all have things about us that others frown upon. It's human nature. The problem is people want so badly to be "right" that anything that doesn't agree with their little ideal world is viewed as "wrong" or "sinful". Why call anyone anything other than their name? It's all labeling to me. Black, white, straight, gay..who cares. We still all have to live on the same rock, and to do so in a semi-peaceful way is to put aside our differences and just enjoy our own life without complicating it with worrying what other people do with their life. Don't people have enough problems of their own without stepping out and making more for themselves by involving themselves in things that have no real bearing on them?
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs