Is the "truth" independent of humanity?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 ...5 6 7 · >>
tariki On September 16, 2012

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Jul 29, 2010 @ 11:32:06
The simplest thing to understand is this. The truth is independant of humanity.

This was claimed by Aquine when he posted on another thread.

An interesting question. Is the truth independent of humanity, and what would this mean if it was? If it is independent, how do we arrive at it?

I have googled the words "Is the truth independent of humanity?" and found some interesting hits, including a discussion between Albert Einstein and Rabindranath Tagore.
BozieFozie On May 19, 2022
Life's a Beach

Paradise, Florida
#2New Post! Jul 29, 2010 @ 11:35:37
Tariki, I believe the "truth" is independent of humanity.....there is "truth" in non-human things all around us, above and below us......humans just think they're the end-all, be-all, and it's rather presumptious of us, don't you think???????????
Life's a Beach

Paradise, Florida
#3New Post! Jul 29, 2010 @ 11:39:51
I stood outside my home last night watching the most breath-taking lightning display - there were clouds worthy of "Clash of the Titans" and I felt awed and humbled and thrilled to witness Nature at it's finest............we are but SPECKS in this glorious universe, so I think the "truth" is SO much bigger than humanity!!!!!
KAMPA On October 28, 2013
Admiral Karl Donuts

Uhlan Bator, Mongolia
#4New Post! Jul 29, 2010 @ 12:02:52
I thought this thread might have something humourous in it,but I now see it doesn't! So I am leaving,good bye!
Life's a Beach

Paradise, Florida
#5New Post! Jul 29, 2010 @ 12:05:18
oh, noooooooooooooo Kampa.............don't leave. Tariki and I can get VERY humorous!!!
Life's a Beach

Paradise, Florida
#6New Post! Jul 29, 2010 @ 12:05:46
Ask him to tell one of his pothead stories!!!!!
Admiral Karl Donuts

Uhlan Bator, Mongolia
#7New Post! Jul 29, 2010 @ 12:33:26
I can trust you two for a chuckle,sometimes,not today!

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Jul 29, 2010 @ 12:41:15
@KAMPA Said

I can trust you two for a chuckle,sometimes,not today!

The trouble with you is kampa (apart from being YOU) is that you are a one trick pony............you're only interested in pussies.

Admiral Karl Donuts

Uhlan Bator, Mongolia
#9New Post! Jul 29, 2010 @ 12:43:17
You would be as well if you had 20 of them!
hellfire0013 On April 23, 2012

Edwardsville, Illinois
#10New Post! Jul 29, 2010 @ 13:05:34
That depends on your defination and perspective of what "truth" is.

A good friend of mine believes that the truth of the world is not a personal truth, but a truth that is more or less agreed on by the mass. We all agree what the word "juice" means and stick to it, we have a majority vote for president, and the rest of us have to agree with it.

The problem is that even though the "minority" may not agree, we still retain our individual opinion. So even though the majority voted obama into office, those of the minoity still can't stand him as a president, and they don't really respect his authority.

As a side note, wouldn't it be an interesting idea if the three people with the most votes were elected into office, and they would have to have a majority vote for the executive branch of our government to pass anything through?

In either case, my opinion is that the truth of the world, or the truth of humanity, is something that you, as an individual believe. The words "Ain't killed s*** hunting club" are on the back of my truck, and I have gotten into arguments with people, who believe that is an inapropriate thing to have on the back of my truck, but I do not believe that it is a bad word, because my perception of that word is different then their perception might be. I don't think that people in general believe that it is a bad word, unless they WANT to believe that it is a bad word.

The sky, usually, is blue. But what if your perception of what the word "blue" is different then what mine is? Then, according to you, the sky might be green, or red.

Three blind men stumble into an elephant. One trips across the trunk, the second bumbs into the side, the third, blindly sweeping is arm in wide arcs, grabs the tail. When asked later how they would describe an elephant, they respond-

"An elephant is like a firemans hose, and is hard to control."
"A elephant is like a big wall."
"A elephant is like a hairy peice of rope."

So which is the right answer? If you actually believe in the truth of humanity, not one of them are, but the truth of humanity doesn't matter, because no matter how much you tell them they are wrong, according to their viewpoint they couldn't have described it more correctly.

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Jul 29, 2010 @ 13:33:45
@KAMPA Said

You would be as well if you had 20 of them!

Well, I'm definitely a two trick pony. One: I tell great pothead stories (ask Fozie) and Two: I can pick up a matchbox with my nose while balancing on just one hand.

Admiral Karl Donuts

Uhlan Bator, Mongolia
#12New Post! Jul 29, 2010 @ 13:40:42
@tariki Said

Well, I'm definitely a two trick pony. One: I tell great pothead stories (ask Fozie) and Two: I can pick up a matchbox with my nose while balancing on just one hand.

Can you also pick up coins with your bum cheeks as Bozie can?
ssnot_me On February 01, 2016

big D, Texas
#13New Post! Jul 29, 2010 @ 13:49:08
@tariki Said

The simplest thing to understand is this. The truth is independant of humanity.

This was claimed by Aquine when he posted on another thread.

An interesting question. Is the truth independent of humanity, and what would this mean if it was? If it is independent, how do we arrive at it?

I have googled the words "Is the truth independent of humanity?" and found some interesting hits, including a discussion between Albert Einstein and Rabindranath Tagore.

to me, 'truth' is a human philosophy, there is no 'real' truth. it is all based on perception.

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#14New Post! Jul 29, 2010 @ 14:00:07
@BozieFozie Said

Tariki, I believe the "truth" is independent of humanity.....there is "truth" in non-human things all around us, above and below us......humans just think they're the end-all, be-all, and it's rather presumptious of us, don't you think???????????

@BozieFozie Said

I stood outside my home last night watching the most breath-taking lightning display - there were clouds worthy of "Clash of the Titans" and I felt awed and humbled and thrilled to witness Nature at it's finest............we are but SPECKS in this glorious universe, so I think the "truth" is SO much bigger than humanity!!!!!

Bozie,

Leaving kampa to his pussies - and I've never been one for cheap laughs - to me, you are more speaking of value/worth rather than "truth" as such. Well, Keats did say a thing of beauty was a truth forever, but I was thinking more of objective truth as such. As you say, I think most of us could do with a very good wake up call in respect of worth/value. We - as humans - do tend to see ourselves as the be all and end all of "creation", and God is a "man", obviously, whose only interest is pulling us out of "his" creation, getting rid of whats left over (i.e. most of it) and.... etc etc etc

Having said that, we (or some) are able to look and perceive and reflect, though in pure size we are "specks".

Bozie, you are bad for me........as I typed that last sentence the image came into my mind of the ending of the film "The Incredible Shrinking Man", where the hero has been reduced to tiny proportions and stands in his garden, and reflects just as I have done. And, at that point, I always imagine the great big Monty Python Foot crunching down and squashing him into non-existence!!

You've got a lot to answer for....

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#15New Post! Jul 29, 2010 @ 14:00:43
@KAMPA Said

Can you also pick up coins with your bum cheeks as Bozie can?

I'll give it a try and report back.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 ...5 6 7 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs