Racism

Is racism a legit part of human nature?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 · >>
windstorm On June 28, 2012

Birmingham, Alabama
#1New Post! Dec 23, 2008 @ 22:25:06
Recently I have been theorizing and searching for logical reasons why racism has always existed in our world and in some cases still does today. My first theory is that racism is not something embedded in human nature, but rather in some cases it is either learned from an early age as intelligent beings or just a personal choice. However, I do recognize the fact that not all people are this way. My second theory is that maybe racism is not evil. Take The White Supremecy and The Black Panther groups for example, is there something wrong with the way that they believe or as as human beings, it is naturally coded into our DNA to oppose "the opposite" and ensure the genetic survival of our own race?

When it comes to major issues such as race, science, politics and religion I tend to habitually ponder about the cause and the effect. Anyway, I just would like to know if any of these theories could be correct?
doubtingthomas On April 26, 2010
Jesus is my homie

Monterey, California
#2New Post! Dec 23, 2008 @ 22:46:25
I think all of your theories stem off of the human disire to distinguesh themselfs from one another.

Its in our nature to narrow down the potential mates by comparison.

Birmingham, Alabama
#3New Post! Dec 23, 2008 @ 22:57:06
@doubtingthomas Said

I think all of your theories stem off of the human disire to distinguesh themselfs from one another.

Its in our nature to narrow down the potential mates by comparison.

True. Although the concept may be hard to accept, I have come to a conclusion that from now on when I see groups Skinheads or Panthers I will just shrug it off and say "Well, that's nature at play." Because racism has dominated the earth for so long sadly, but I doubt that it will be going anywhere soon so the best thing to do is just to deal with it and accept it as a part of life.
iwannano On May 19, 2010
Mountain William

Deleted

#4New Post! Dec 23, 2008 @ 23:04:09
racism has been around for as long as people have walked on the earth.,
The Native Americans would attack each other with the thoughts/beliefs that they were doing it as the better tribe and the other side was only good for captureing as slaves or killing , the Africans did it also ,when one village would attack it's neighbors with the idea of capture for sale to the slave traders the spanards came to the Americas and en slaved the Natives they found here , all though the bible it talks about slaves ,
Jesus is my homie

Monterey, California
#5New Post! Dec 23, 2008 @ 23:07:23
@windstorm Said

True. Although the concept may be hard to accept, I have come to a conclusion that from now on when I see groups Skinheads or Panthers I will just shrug it off and say "Well, that's nature at play." Because racism has dominated the earth for so long sadly, but I doubt that it will be going anywhere soon so the best thing to do is just to deal with it and accept it as a part of life.

If you want to see nature without society influce look to children.

Children, most of them... will behave not as society dictates but how evolution as given them instincts to survive.

They will seek protection in groups. They will group together based on common ideas. They will group together because of a strong/charismatic leader of the group. They will seek comfort and security in other children that don't threaten thier view of identity, example a very ugly child may seek to be with a pritty child to increase thier own idea of self worth.

All of these things and behavors are at the core of racism and discrimination.

Usualy time, maturity, and society changes the way they act..... but deep down we all want to be kids.

Birmingham, Alabama
#6New Post! Dec 23, 2008 @ 23:24:16
@doubtingthomas Said

Children, most of them... will behave not as society dictates but how evolution as given them instincts to survive.

They will seek protection in groups. They will group together based on common ideas. They will group together because of a strong/charismatic leader of the group. They will seek comfort and security in other children that don't threaten thier view of identity, example a very ugly child may seek to be with a pritty child to increase thier own idea of self worth.

Usualy time, maturity, and society changes the way they act..... but deep down we all want to be kids.

So what you are saying is that our true nature is to form in groups for security regardless of race and that true racism is not natural rather it is taught by society am I correct?
Lili On July 12, 2019

Sunshine Land,
#7New Post! Dec 23, 2008 @ 23:29:16
People will always group themselves. Racism is one example, but not he only one by far.

On this board somewhere is a thread about heavy metal music, and this poster who started it was getting rather upset at people confusing these extremely narrowed down sub-genre's of heavy metal, it was rather stunning to read through actually. I mean, imagine if everyone only listened to heavy metal music, itself a sub-genre of rock. That's pretty specific, you'd think people had settled on one type of music, that they'd all come to an agreement, the matter was settled. Oh no. Is it death metal, satan metal, goth metal? And god forbid you confuse one for another! People will always differentiate, categorize and subgroup themselves, no matter how similar or different they start out.

It's also a matter of people feeling a need to feel like they belong within a specific group of people, this allows them to feel both unique and an accepted part of society at the same time. This need is so strong in fact that there are people who intentionally infect themselves with HIV, they are called "bug chasers", they want to be part of a relatively rare but still highly supportive group of society, those who are HIV+.

So as long as people exist, there will be cliques, and there will be conflict. It will never end as long as humans are human.

Birmingham, Alabama
#8New Post! Dec 23, 2008 @ 23:34:58
@Lili Said

People will always group themselves. Racism is one example, but not he only one by far.

On this board somewhere is a thread about heavy metal music, and this poster who started it was getting rather upset at people confusing these extremely narrowed down sub-genre's of heavy metal, it was rather stunning to read through actually. I mean, imagine if everyone only listened to heavy metal music, itself a sub-genre of rock. That's pretty specific, you'd think people had settled on one type of music, that they'd all come to an agreement, the matter was settled. Oh no. Is it death metal, satan metal, goth metal? And god forbid you confuse one for another! People will always differentiate, categorize and subgroup themselves, no matter how similar or different they start out.

It's also a matter of people feeling a need to feel like they belong within a specific group of people, this allows them to feel both unique and an accepted part of society at the same time. This need is so strong in fact that there are people who intentionally infect themselves with HIV, they are called "bug chasers", they want to be part of a relatively rare but still highly supportive group of society, those who are HIV+.

So as long as people exist, there will be cliques, and there will be conflict. It will never end as long as humans are human.

Yes, in a sense I believe that a little bit of conflict is good for in that it signifies as you mentioned above that there is difference in this world. Afterall, what would life be without a challenge or adversity? Makes it all the more fun in my opinion. But people deliberly infecting themselves with HIV? Now that's a new one for me
Asme251 On December 21, 2017
Area Man

Boston, Massachusetts
#9New Post! Dec 23, 2008 @ 23:40:53
Racism is only "legit" when one group needs to justify their treatment of other groups.
mark66 On August 21, 2011

belfast, United Kingdom
#10New Post! Dec 23, 2008 @ 23:41:23
all forms off racism are orginally based on fear!, fear off the unknown, fear off things that are different that we are, it is a sad truth that we are all born with this fear, black, white or brown its a natural survival instinct we all share, but, what makes someone a racist is not wanting to see that our differences are only skin deep, a poor white man no different than a poor black man, both struggle to pay bills,
Jesus is my homie

Monterey, California
#11New Post! Dec 23, 2008 @ 23:58:42
@windstorm Said

So what you are saying is that our true nature is to form in groups for security regardless of race and that true racism is not natural rather it is taught by society am I correct?

Nope, not realy.

What I'm saying its in our true nature to segregate outselfs into tight groups based on our own similarities.

Outward apperances is one of the methouds to seperate one another.

But... that being said... if life and death survival was in question we would group together with the common intrest of self preservation and that would overwrite, outward apperances.

Birmingham, Alabama
#12New Post! Dec 24, 2008 @ 00:22:26
@doubtingthomas Said

Nope, not realy.

What I'm saying its in our true nature to segregate outselfs into tight groups based on our own similarities.

Outward apperances is one of the methouds to seperate one another.

But... that being said... if life and death survival was in question we would group together with the common intrest of self preservation and that would overwrite, outward apperances.

Gotcha.
Spinkiegirl On August 18, 2018

Chicago, Illinois
#13New Post! Dec 24, 2008 @ 00:48:16
@windstorm Said

Recently I have been theorizing and searching for logical reasons why racism has always existed in our world and in some cases still does today. My first theory is that racism is not something embedded in human nature, but rather in some cases it is either learned from an early age as intelligent beings or just a personal choice. However, I do recognize the fact that not all people are this way. My second theory is that maybe racism is not evil. Take The White Supremecy and The Black Panther groups for example, is there something wrong with the way that they believe or as as human beings, it is naturally coded into our DNA to oppose "the opposite" and ensure the genetic survival of our own race?

When it comes to major issues such as race, science, politics and religion I tend to habitually ponder about the cause and the effect. Anyway, I just would like to know if any of these theories could be correct?

I was wondering......do you know anything about The Black Pathers or The White Supremecy groups? I believe those are not good examples....cause the white supremecy groups are of the belief they are surperior because they are white....and we all know whites are no better than blacks...I do believe racism is a LEARNED behavior....i'am a blessing of white mother and a black father racism was not taught in my home but I think i'am racist because I don't date black men!
Spinkiegirl On August 18, 2018

Chicago, Illinois
#14New Post! Dec 24, 2008 @ 00:50:05
@doubtingthomas Said

Kudos...you have a very good point!!
iwannano On May 19, 2010
Mountain William

Deleted

#15New Post! Dec 24, 2008 @ 01:24:53
Both groups are full of **** .
One thinks they deserve to be above all other races and all females and any Religious beliefs that differ from theirs..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_supremacy

And the other wants the American government to pay for hundreds of years of slavery when in reality the American people out lawed the ugly horrible in human practise 92 years have our nation became a nation.
So IMO both groups need to jump of a high cliff into a deep canyon

History of the Black Panther Party

https://www.stanford.edu/group/blackpanthers/history.shtml
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs