The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
News & Current Events

Is "Green Energy" the wave of the future?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
Will "green energy" become the more popular way getting electricity in future instead of paying electric companies for it?
yes
no
View Results
redryder712 On August 02, 2010

Mckinney, Texas
#1New Post! Jul 27, 2010 @ 17:05:06
It seems in the current climate of "we hate big business" in this country; more people want to find cheaper sources of energy that don't despoil our environment. Some people have opted for the "do it yourself" approach. Looking for ways of saving money, more and more the opinion of many is to build solar panels and wind turbines for home use. In my opinion, I believe that could be the way we save ourselves and our posterity by becoming more self reliant. It is after all the pioneer spirit that makes or breaks a culture and a society. Under president Obama's watch we are seeing some fairly drastic measures being undertaken. If america ever becomes prosperous again, it will be because of the resilience of the american people and not some government program.
jackmcg On August 20, 2010

Deleted

West Chester, Pennsylvania
#2New Post! Jul 27, 2010 @ 17:36:05
@redryder712 Said

It seems in the current climate of "we hate big business" in this country; more people want to find cheaper sources of energy that don't despoil our environment. Some people have opted for the "do it yourself" approach. Looking for ways of saving money, more and more the opinion of many is to build solar panels and wind turbines for home use. In my opinion, I believe that could be the way we save ourselves and our posterity by becoming more self reliant. It is after all the pioneer spirit that makes or breaks a culture and a society. Under president Obama's watch we are seeing some fairly drastic measures being undertaken. If america ever becomes prosperous again, it will be because of the resilience of the american people and not some government program.

It will come slowly due to implementation and conversion of industry costs. Large scale transportation systems, utilities and residential power would need drastic revamping at high cost unless a mix of fossil fuels and alternative power is allowed for quite some time.
raditz On April 20, 2024
Blah

Houston, Texas
#3New Post! Jul 27, 2010 @ 17:39:33
You'll still be paying power companies for it.
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#4New Post! Jul 27, 2010 @ 17:55:15
the future brings what big corporations can sell.
we are getting greener.
WASH On June 04, 2012

LINCOLN, California
#5New Post! Jul 27, 2010 @ 20:41:23
@jackmcg Said

It will come slowly due to implementation and conversion of industry costs. Large scale transportation systems, utilities and residential power would need drastic revamping at high cost unless a mix of fossil fuels and alternative power is allowed for quite some time.

You explained the power to convert in just a few words. We must take advantage of our crude, gas, coal, and atomic power NOW. And we should convert slowly to prevent what we now have at reasonable cost. Conversion to new power sources must NOT be based on government subsidies!
boxerdc On December 18, 2012

Deleted

#6New Post! Jul 27, 2010 @ 20:59:14
@WASH Said

And we should convert slowly to prevent what we now have at reasonable cost. Conversion to new power sources must NOT be based on government subsidies!

So, does that mean that you would support cutting the HUGE subsidies to big oil? Because they're getting about 80 cents of every dollar of energy subsidy right now, and they're using a large portion of that money to tell us all that solar, wind and water is unreliable, and that coal is clean.
raditz On April 20, 2024
Blah

Houston, Texas
#7New Post! Jul 28, 2010 @ 06:25:17
@boxerdc Said

So, does that mean that you would support cutting the HUGE subsidies to big oil? Because they're getting about 80 cents of every dollar of energy subsidy right now, and they're using a large portion of that money to tell us all that solar, wind and water is unreliable, and that coal is clean.

They only get about 25% of all subsidies.

Lili On July 12, 2019

Sunshine Land,
#8New Post! Jul 28, 2010 @ 06:34:25
@raditz Said

Why do they need subsidies at all? They make billions of dollars in profit every single year.
bob_the_fisherman On January 30, 2023
Anatidaephobic

, Angola
#9New Post! Jul 28, 2010 @ 06:38:16
I am not sure that moving to clean energy is a "we hate big business" thing, so much as it is a "we hate environmental destruction, air pollution, massive oil spills, and anthropic global warming" thing

But yes, green, or at least, sustainable energy is a necessity. Oil and coal may have grown on trees once, but it doesn't anymore... we actually will run out of these things one day. And let's face it, if BP has their way, we will run out of it quite a lot sooner.
raditz On April 20, 2024
Blah

Houston, Texas
#10New Post! Jul 28, 2010 @ 06:40:41
@Lili Said

Why do they need subsidies at all? They make billions of dollars in profit every single year.

Dunno. If they didn't receive the subsidies they would just increase their prices.
father_of_4 On December 02, 2012

Smithfield, Utah
#11New Post! Jul 28, 2010 @ 06:41:24
Green energy has to be the wave of the future. I believe we (collectively) have the intelligence and talent to get off of fossil fuels, and get a lot smarter about how and where we get our energy from.
Lili On July 12, 2019

Sunshine Land,
#12New Post! Jul 28, 2010 @ 07:52:19
@raditz Said

Dunno. If they didn't receive the subsidies they would just increase their prices.

I thought you were all for a free market without government intervention. What happened to that?
boxerdc On December 18, 2012

Deleted

#13New Post! Jul 28, 2010 @ 11:50:35
@raditz Said

I count coal and ethanol as part of big oil, as coal is simply "young" oil, and ethanol is just an additive right now.
raditz On April 20, 2024
Blah

Houston, Texas
#14New Post! Jul 29, 2010 @ 16:49:20
@Lili Said

I thought you were all for a free market without government intervention. What happened to that?

I am free market, I was just saying I don't know why they receive subsidies.

Really, I'm not a fan of any subsidy. They should cut them all.
Beirut26 On August 15, 2010

Deleted

Lansing, Michigan
#15New Post! Jul 29, 2010 @ 17:05:39
This whole 'Green Movement' has nothing to do with companies caring about the environment.
They see that lots of people are concerned about somthing, pretend to have the answer, then make tons of money.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs