Manners & Etiquette

Is "Give Me A Burger And A Soda" Rude?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 4 · >>
MainerMikeBrown On April 19, 2021

Hiram, Maine
#1New Post! May 25, 2012 @ 00:21:24
I have a friend who works at a fast-food restaurant. And it irritates him when some of the customers say "Give me a soda," or "Give me a burger."

However, I've also had people tell me "Give me such and such" at previous jobs I've had where I had to deal with the public. And I never found it to be offensive.

My opinion is that if the customer told me to give him something and he meant what he said, that would be a little offensive. I'd feel like I was being bossed around.

But probably most people don't mean it that way. They don't mean it to sound like they're pushing you around by implying that they want a burger or soda "Right now, or else!"

My friend disagrees, however. He thinks it's rude and pushy even if they don't mean it that way.
DorkySupergirl On November 02, 2017

, Canada
#2New Post! May 25, 2012 @ 00:26:03
I do not and would not speak that way to people. When I place an order, I say please and thank you and ask if I may have or I would like such and such please.

I do not say give me such and such, I find it would be rude of me to speak that way. That is just me and my manners.
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#3New Post! May 25, 2012 @ 00:39:58
Compared to other things that customers could say to you, particularly at a fast food place, it's not really rude at all.
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#4New Post! May 25, 2012 @ 00:40:47
give me a burger, small fries, and small coke please?
bob_the_fisherman On January 30, 2023
Anatidaephobic

, Angola
#5New Post! May 25, 2012 @ 01:10:11
Don't know about rude, but it is stupid. Fast 'food' is not actual food as a rule. The only question one should ask in a fast food restaurant is, "excuse me, can you direct me to a place that sells food?"
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#6New Post! May 25, 2012 @ 01:11:53
He's working as a cashier at a fast food restaurant. Tell him to suck up his pride and do what the customer says.
JR_Sanford On August 02, 2017

Portland (St. Johns), Oregon
#7New Post! May 25, 2012 @ 02:03:24
@MainerMikeBrown Said

I have a friend who works at a fast-food restaurant. And it irritates him when some of the customers say "Give me a soda," or "Give me a burger."

However, I've also had people tell me "Give me such and such" at previous jobs I've had where I had to deal with the public. And I never found it to be offensive.

My opinion is that if the customer told me to give him something and he meant what he said, that would be a little offensive. I'd feel like I was being bossed around.

But probably most people don't mean it that way. They don't mean it to sound like they're pushing you around by implying that they want a burger or soda "Right now, or else!"

My friend disagrees, however. He thinks it's rude and pushy even if they don't mean it that way.

Give me a break. Your friend is suppose to serve the customer. As long as the customer is not abusive verbally by calling the worker names or by adding the adverb "NOW".

They could retort by saying, "Give me some money."

J.R.
BozieFozie On May 19, 2022
Life's a Beach

Paradise, Florida
#8New Post! May 25, 2012 @ 02:06:34
Recently, I worked a concession stand at a Native American festival. I was amazed at how many people said "yeah, let's do a burger and fries". "Let's do"??? Hey, fella, I'm not eating but working. Is that a new expression when ordering???
ReAdSaLoT On September 23, 2019

#9New Post! May 25, 2012 @ 02:51:51
Would it kill people to say please and thank you? It's a lousy job which most people do because they're working towards something better or are just starting out.
When did it become hard to be a little polite?
It's not necessary, just thoughtful.
LuckyCharms On July 31, 2021
Magically Delicious

#10New Post! May 25, 2012 @ 03:04:08
I don't think it's meant as rude. Well unless they growl when they say it or act condescending. I think most people just think of it casually.

Granted I was raised to be mannerly and to treat those in service politely, so I'm a "please" and "thank you" type of person.

But in all reality, the guy should just chill out. In his working life he's going to run into much more rude people and there will come a day where he'd happily exchange 'give me...' for what he will get. He needs to get a thicker skin.
rosexthorn On July 30, 2022

Winnipeg, Canada
#11New Post! May 25, 2012 @ 03:11:30
@ReAdSaLoT Said

Would it kill people to say please and thank you? It's a lousy job which most people do because they're working towards something better or are just starting out.

Totally agree. It's his job as any other job. Just because he doesn't work in a suit does not mean people should treat him like crap or in a demeaning manner. Common respect for people of all walks of life and any status should always be first and foremost or your kindness and manners are not real if you only keep it for workers who have so-called 'status jobs'. If this is the way it works than common courtesy is a facade if it's not for every one no matter what type of job they do in my opinion.
Demented On January 31, 2024

, Australia
#12New Post! May 25, 2012 @ 03:12:22
@bob_the_fisherman Said

Don't know about rude, but it is stupid. Fast 'food' is not actual food as a rule. The only question one should ask in a fast food restaurant is, "excuse me, can you direct me to a place that sells food?"

You mean they still have places like that around Bob???

Actually My wife and my parents and I went up to the Central Coast on Tuesday for lunch it was nice eating a steak and watching the world go by
Demented On January 31, 2024

, Australia
#13New Post! May 25, 2012 @ 03:17:04
@ReAdSaLoT Said

Please and Thank You are words our generation use,we live in a modern world where rudeness rules supreme,if you want something off a shelf when you go shopping,you don't say Excuse me,you just shove in or push the person standing in your way out of the way.
Much easier to make a fool of yourself than to be pleasant .
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#14New Post! May 25, 2012 @ 03:18:05
One time at a drive through I said "I'll take a number 3.." The cashier interrupted with "Oh? You'll TAKE?" I was silent for a moment then went inside and asked for the manager. Told him what happened then walked out the door. I'm pretty sure she got in trouble.
ReAdSaLoT On September 23, 2019

#15New Post! May 25, 2012 @ 03:20:42
@Demented Said

Please and Thank You are words our generation use,we live in a modern world where rudeness rules supreme,if you want something off a shelf when you go shopping,you don't say Excuse me,you just shove in or push the person standing in your way out of the way.
Much easier to make a fool of yourself than to be pleasant .

Sad, isn't it?
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 4 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs