The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Religion & Philosophy

Is listening to the preacher in church a good thing or bad thing?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
smblomker On May 02, 2011

Newark, Ohio
#1New Post! Apr 02, 2011 @ 20:20:24
As many times as i've gone to church. Sometimes I think that the preacher only thinks he knows what he's talking about. Isn't the preacher surposed to teach about the bible not preach to you about things out of his head.
I've found that most of the time I'm just better off not going and being judged by those at the church is better. I can read the bible or study it if I really want. But, to sit there for 30 minutes to an hour is just not worth my time.
Preachers sometimes just don't make since but, to themselves.
noseycow On September 03, 2015
x dippy madam x

\"proud blackcountry wench\",
#2New Post! Apr 02, 2011 @ 20:21:23
you dont half ask alot of questions, me head cant keep up
HiImDan On February 29, 2024

Cleveland, the boil on the but
#3New Post! Apr 02, 2011 @ 20:36:08
Depends on the preacher Rev. Hicks out of the Christ Gospel in Jeffersonville is worth seeing and listening to
ultranewbie On December 31, 2012

el dorado, New Mexico
#4New Post! Apr 02, 2011 @ 23:10:22
i never listen to what preachers say.. they are like anyone else.. i watch what they do..

and i knew quite a few preachers, who "did it" quite well... AFTER church of course..
Electric_Banana On 36 minutes ago

, New Zealand
#5New Post! Apr 03, 2011 @ 01:20:22
I'll give you a hint.

I believe most preachers are good people.

I believe they won't waste your time and sometimes share some good insight if you take the time to sit in the church.

But I also believe that some preachers are intentionally playing the villian so that you realize that some of the best answers come from inside, some very profound people can sometimes be wrong, and just because everyone thinks it right, doesn't always make it right.

Hitler's army, anyone?
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#6New Post! Apr 03, 2011 @ 01:45:30
I get some good things out of a really good speaker w/good points about life. It doesn't matter to me what his/her religious beliefs are.
ColignyForever On July 15, 2011

, Florida
#7New Post! Apr 03, 2011 @ 01:58:19
Even before I dropped Christianity, I felt that the Bible and its teachings were better absorbed and understood through open discussion as opposed to lecture. Hearing more than one opinion and interpretation of a passage is a good thing.

Church feels like it is just for show... I have the feeling that most who go, go out of feelings of obligation to God, and to be seen, not to learn or be inspired by their religion.
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#8New Post! Apr 03, 2011 @ 02:01:20
Open minded discussion? Lol, the absence of that in the religion pretty much is the gist of why so many people find Christianity offensive.
ColignyForever On July 15, 2011

, Florida
#9New Post! Apr 03, 2011 @ 02:30:21
@Leon Said

Open minded discussion? Lol, the absence of that in the religion pretty much is the gist of why so many people find Christianity offensive.

Open discussion on Biblical topics... which actually does happen, just not in the church service. People attend Bible Study for that. Personally, I think Bible Study should be the norm and preaching should be phased out. Preaching does not allow a person to ask questions or explore topics in depth with the opinions of other people of their own faiths. It treats Christianity like a school subject, one that is written out, absolute, with no interpretation but one - the preacher's.

There is nothing wrong with the exclusion of discussion about other religions in a meeting meant for one particular religion. Such discussions are irrelevant and they take up time that could be spent discussing and learning about the religion of choice. If one wishes to learn about other faiths, it should be pursued in a venue that is not devoted to one faith.

Like the library. Or an online forum.

Otherwise, it is like speaking about Shakespeare at a gardening convention. Not particularly relevant or useful to those in attendance.
tariki On September 16, 2012

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#10New Post! Apr 03, 2011 @ 09:53:15
@smblomker Said

As many times as i've gone to church. Sometimes I think that the preacher only thinks he knows what he's talking about. Isn't the preacher surposed to teach about the bible not preach to you about things out of his head.
I've found that most of the time I'm just better off not going and being judged by those at the church is better. I can read the bible or study it if I really want. But, to sit there for 30 minutes to an hour is just not worth my time.
Preachers sometimes just don't make since but, to themselves.

Possibly just like listening to anybody.

I do remember someone once saying that when some sermoniser was getting into gear, just imagine some comedian like Leslie Neilson standing behind them, pulling faces. Does wonders....
xRuby_Kissesx On June 14, 2011

Deleted

Sailing the high seas..., Unit
#11New Post! Apr 03, 2011 @ 09:59:11
Why should the people at church judge you, are they perfect?
As for the preachers, it would fit them better to practice what they preach, speaking from experience with a priest, a canon and a minister, all talking out of their ass.
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#12New Post! Apr 03, 2011 @ 09:59:31
In the UK the church of England the vicars and I believe priests in the catholic church have a degree in theology and part of their training is being able to deliver words of sympathy, kindness, hope and advice. It doesn't have to come from the bible. It can come from poems or anything really, even the speakers own memories and home life. The point is that the message be a positive one.

If they talk too much crap people stop going and then they get moved elsewhere.
xRuby_Kissesx On June 14, 2011

Deleted

Sailing the high seas..., Unit
#13New Post! Apr 03, 2011 @ 10:04:10
One mass consisted of the priest talking about 'strictly come dancing' and the way we are attracted to people and how we let them know. Obviously the communion wine was flowing freely that day, stopping short of Jesus and Mary doing the quick step.
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#14New Post! Apr 03, 2011 @ 10:05:28
@xRuby_Kissesx Said

One mass consisted of the priest talking about 'strictly come dancing' and the way we are attracted to people and how we let them know. Obviously the communion wine was flowing freely that day, stopping short of Jesus and Mary doing the quick step.

He had probably been threatened with craggy island.
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#15New Post! Apr 03, 2011 @ 12:25:47
I've heard (and ignored) dozens of bizarre sermons from priests and canons over the years. One was about cricket, another about X Factor (and that was at the cathedral ) and another one that was more of a political speech that hardly had anything to do with religion (that was in Belfast, oddly enough, would have thought they'd be more religious).

I tend to tune it out though as I really don't care about what they have to say. Usually I just want to get it over with so we can sing the rest of the music and get out.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs