Is it that serious?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
Cpat92 On May 16, 2021
It's all or nothing

Lauderhill, Florida
#1New Post! Feb 18, 2019 @ 09:00:11
So I saw someone speak on this on twitter and I had to look up the article. Apparently, a young boy at his middle school was kicked out of class and arrested for being disruptive and disobeying commands, all because he refused to say the Pledge of Allegiance and had a disagreement with the Substitute Teacher. As of right now, the situation is being looked into and the Substitute Teacher is no longer allowed to work until further notice.

Mother Upset After Son is Kicked out of School and Arrested
Erimitus On July 01, 2021

The mind of God, Antarctica
#2New Post! Feb 18, 2019 @ 11:00:31
@Cpat92 Said

So I saw someone speak on this on twitter and I had to look up the article. Apparently, a young boy at his middle school was kicked out of class and arrested for being disruptive and disobeying commands, all because he refused to say the Pledge of Allegiance and had a disagreement with the Substitute Teacher. As of right now, the situation is being looked into and the Substitute Teacher is no longer allowed to work until further notice.

Mother Upset After Son is Kicked out of School and Arrested

Schools are indoctrination centers. The students cannot stand up for their rights because they have no rights. Good, or at least successful, students do not argue; instead they say things like, "Gosh you are wonderful professor!". There will be plenty of time to argue after you have your degree.
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#3New Post! Feb 18, 2019 @ 13:12:45
There's a lot wrong here...on both sides to be fair...but he wasn't arrested for not standing for the pledge. I can almost guarantee the point where it was decided he was going to be arrested was when he started issuing verbal threats of violence.

The fact that he denies saying any of that doesn't really count as a defense. What 11 year old wouldn't lie in that situation? I'm not saying he did or didn't, I wasn't there, but if you threaten a teacher with physical violence after the police are already involved is it really surprising when you get arrested?

All that being said, the teacher shouldn't be teaching anymore. HUGE swing and a miss there...it should have ended with her and the whole "you should go back where you came from" and "I didn't want to deal with him so I called the police" are both big red flags in my opinion that she shouldn't be in a classroom. A more sane approach would have been to not let it escalate, let the kid sit, and report the incident to the kid's full time teacher or the school administration.
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#4New Post! Feb 18, 2019 @ 13:13:09
The student reportedly told the substitute teacher the flag was racist and the national anthem was offensive to black people.

And where do you think an 11-year old would get that idea?

According to the arrest affidavit, the student was arrested by the school resource officer because he refused to follow multiple commands, repeatedly called school leaders racist and was disruptive. They said he threatened to get the school resource officer and principal fired and to beat the teacher.

Ohhh not my innocent angel little Johnny. He is never bad.

GMAFB
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#5New Post! Feb 18, 2019 @ 15:16:32
Umm... I didn’t read the story, but didn’t we (the Supreme Court) already determine kids are not required to say the pledge in schools?
Isn’t that like common knowledge, or did I just grow up around a lot of Jehovah’s Witnesses?
Darkman666 On about 4 hours ago

Saint Louis, Missouri
#6New Post! Feb 18, 2019 @ 15:31:02
when I was in school, I felt that I was force to stand for pledge. I really thought a waste of my time. if I had choice not said or even stand, I will sit in my seat.

obviously, the kid reacting to peer pressure and other things. the teacher should sent to the principle's office. the principle and his mother should discuss and determine suspend for three days. it seem right for the school's right to do.

the child was expressing is angry, and the school overreacted, and shouldn't been in the news.
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#7New Post! Feb 18, 2019 @ 15:57:14
@Eaglebauer Said

There's a lot wrong here...on both sides to be fair...but he wasn't arrested for not standing for the pledge. I can almost guarantee the point where it was decided he was going to be arrested was when he started issuing verbal threats of violence.

The fact that he denies saying any of that doesn't really count as a defense. What 11 year old wouldn't lie in that situation? I'm not saying he did or didn't, I wasn't there, but if you threaten a teacher with physical violence after the police are already involved is it really surprising when you get arrested?

@Eaglebauer Said

A more sane approach would have been to not let it escalate, let the kid sit,

I would add to this part that the substitute teacher never should have asked the child to stand. DT is right, the Supreme Court resolved this issue years ago; there is no requirement for a student to participate in the pledge of allegiance.

Chances are that the kid was (in some ways) waiting for a confrontation. Demanding that the kid stand and engaging him in an argument was nothing more giving him a little "soap box" to stand on. The teacher should have ignored him.

But this is what we Americans seem to like to do these days... that is: take something that is ultimately inconsequential and blow it up into a huge deal; giving voice to things that would otherwise be ignored.
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

#8New Post! Feb 18, 2019 @ 16:05:50
PS
If it had been my son, I would have done two things:

1. Filed a complained to the principal about the teacher trying to require my son to stand for the pledge of allegiance in violation of his Constitutional rights (maybe even ask for a written apology.

2. Given my son a bare a** spanking, and told him if he doesn't want to stand for the pledge of allegiance he is to sit quietly and respectfully... if he ever acts up like that again I probably won't be collecting him from juvenile detention for as many days as I can get away with it, at which point, when he finally came home, his room would most likely be devoid of any items he viewed as valuable.

Oh and #3...If it happened a 3rd time, I would probably buy a flag pole and a U.S. flag and my son would be putting it up and down every day and recite the pledge of allegiance each time, until I felt like he got the message loud and clear that his role in life is not to pretend like he is Che Guevara until he reaches 18 and moves out.
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#9New Post! Feb 18, 2019 @ 16:32:30
I worked for a few years as a sub. If a kid refused to say the pledge, I would have said “okay” and left it. Not only for the reason I am not against kids sitting for the pledge on their own will, but simply because he is not my student anyways. He is the teacher’s whom I am filling in for the day.

However, that being said, I can almost guarantee the kid’s arrest had zero to do with his refusal to perform the pledge. And it’s likely his side of the story made it such, as well as his parent’s. And the headline chasing media’s as well as the general public that only reads these headlines.
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#10New Post! Feb 18, 2019 @ 16:46:17
This incident should go on that boy's Permanent Record !
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

#11New Post! Feb 18, 2019 @ 17:01:42
@mrmhead Said

This incident should go on that boy's Permanent Record !

A public caning should have been sufficient.
Cpat92 On May 16, 2021
It's all or nothing

Lauderhill, Florida
#12New Post! Feb 18, 2019 @ 17:43:15
Thank you all for your input. I'm just curious as to why it would be escalated so quickly. I'm not going to doubt that the kid was disrespectful after being kicked out of class, but stuff like this still could have been prevented.
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#13New Post! Feb 18, 2019 @ 21:13:00
Holy s***, I just realized this happened in Lakeland Fl.

I'm not surprised at the situation anymore.
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

#14New Post! Feb 18, 2019 @ 21:50:29
@DiscordTiger Said

Holy s***, I just realized this happened in Lakeland Fl.

I'm not surprised at the situation anymore.

Florida is awesome!

But we'd have better who's the biggest jackass ratings if it weren't for Trump.
Darkman666 On about 4 hours ago

Saint Louis, Missouri
#15New Post! Feb 18, 2019 @ 23:43:32
you know the irony of this. thinking about you are a child learning pledge in school. and the irony of this reason to learning it in the first place. just to go sporting event recite there, nowhere.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs