Apple Computers

Is it really all about aesthetics

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
KulliK357 On July 15, 2013
Sausage Snowman

Dingwall,Scotland, United King
#1New Post! Jul 23, 2009 @ 01:17:39
Really? I've seen for myself that macs look pretty, and the GUI is beautiful with the right background, but when PC users complain about mac's they say that's all they are, now i know that a mac with a similar spec to my computer will cost about ?300 more but what do you get besides aesthetics? do you get a more reliable machine? a more efficient machine? Better software?
Seriously, I just can't see why it would become so popular if all it had to offer was looks.
Can someone please explain what a mac has to offer that is better to justify the cost besides looks?
young_nick On December 11, 2010
The Dude

Auckland, New Zealand
#2New Post! Jul 23, 2009 @ 01:25:58
As far as I know, nothing.

It's all in the advertising imo.
crunchysoups On August 02, 2009

Oakland, California
#3New Post! Jul 23, 2009 @ 01:28:25
I like my mac book pro because of the better software. I am someone who does lots of computer arts and my own music programming, and mac offers some excellent programs for this, including logic pro. The other plus about mac is that they offer, if you want, PC interface. The reason macs are pricey, too, is because of all of the personal assistance that comes with the mac system. When you purchase a mac, you also get to go to the genius bar if there is a problem with your computer and they can usually fix is for free. I consider macs to be a lot more personal, and from experience, I have noticed that they last a lot longer. They also always have constant updates and new software, which is really nice. Yes, they sleek and stylish, but there is a lot more to that. The clean look adds to the price; How can a company add so much information and programs into such an advanced machine while still making it easy for everyday people to use? That is what the mac is for and that is why there is the extra price, I suppose.
Sausage Snowman

#4New Post! Jul 23, 2009 @ 01:28:28
The aesthetics and the thing about gaming seems to be the only two points that are ever argued between the two:
https://images.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&safe=off&um=1&sa=1&q=mac+vs+pc&btnG=Search+images&aq=f&oq=
A simple google search for Mac VS PC makes it apparent
Sausage Snowman

#5New Post! Jul 23, 2009 @ 01:30:08
@crunchysoups Said

I like my mac book pro because of the better software. I am someone who does lots of computer arts and my own music programming, and mac offers some excellent programs for this, including logic pro. The other plus about mac is that they offer, if you want, PC interface. The reason macs are pricey, too, is because of all of the personal assistance that comes with the mac system. When you purchase a mac, you also get to go to the genius bar if there is a problem with your computer and they can usually fix is for free. I consider macs to be a lot more personal, and from experience, I have noticed that they last a lot longer. They also always have constant updates and new software, which is really nice. Yes, they sleek and stylish, but there is a lot more to that. The clean look adds to the price; How can a company add so much information and programs into such an advanced machine while still making it easy for everyday people to use? That is what the mac is for and that is why there is the extra price, I suppose.

But if you buy a Dell computer it costs less than a mac and you get all that stuff with added performance and customisability, the only thing you dont get is the sleek all in one, four cables look
crunchysoups On August 02, 2009

Oakland, California
#6New Post! Jul 23, 2009 @ 01:34:18
But not all people can work Dells very easily. Consider the new wave of musicians that use macs; its not just because of good looks, but because of programs. They are simple to use and don't require computer language or codes to understand or work. I think that Dell was slow in updating to the new demands of modern simplicity in technology, and mac was the leader in that. Making complicated things simple is important in the modern world, I suppose, and Dell is falling behind mac in those regards. I don't know. I don't really care. lol.
mark_is_god On June 26, 2015

antrim, Ireland
#7New Post! Jul 23, 2009 @ 01:39:50
i wouldn't say apple products are all about aesthetics, but i would say aesthetics can be a major factor when it comes to their products.

the ipod would probably be the best example of this, although clearly the ipod is a very good piece of hardware, i think its fair to say lots of people buy ipods because they are "the must have gadget".

i personally own a ipod touch, and i know for a fact one of reasons i bought it is because i like its design, although it wasn't a major factor for me.

saying that, i can't see me ever paying for an apple computer, the premium over a pc is far to much, for far to less.
Sausage Snowman

#8New Post! Jul 23, 2009 @ 01:40:08
@crunchysoups Said

But not all people can work Dells very easily. Consider the new wave of musicians that use macs; its not just because of good looks, but because of programs. They are simple to use and don't require computer language or codes to understand or work. I think that Dell was slow in updating to the new demands of modern simplicity in technology, and mac was the leader in that. Making complicated things simple is important in the modern world, I suppose, and Dell is falling behind mac in those regards. I don't know. I don't really care. lol.

Dell make custom computers, they have their own software, it's not anything special though.
What you mean is windows
Windows programs suck but they aer just the base, there are lots of programs for windows like Sony Vegas Pro 9 or Adobe Photoshop that are powerful and simple to use media editing software, on the level of the mac software, i don't know but i do know that there is much more of it (third party software)
Sausage Snowman

#9New Post! Jul 23, 2009 @ 01:43:04
@mark_is_god Said

i wouldn't say apple products are all about aesthetics, but i would say aesthetics can be a major factor when it comes to their products.

the ipod would probably be the best example of this, although clearly the ipod is a very good piece of hardware, i think its fair to say lots of people buy ipods because they are "the must have gadget".

i personally own a ipod touch, and i know for a fact one of reasons i bought it is because i like its design, although it wasn't a major factor for me.

saying that, i can't see me ever paying for an apple computer, the premium over a pc is far to much, for far to less.

I own an ipod because it is the only portable media player that is easily available for a low(ish) cost and can store the amount of music and video which it does store.
I never had any desire to get the Itouch because it seemed so gimmiky- an iPhone that's not a phone is how i see it.
mark_is_god On June 26, 2015

antrim, Ireland
#10New Post! Jul 23, 2009 @ 01:50:07
@KulliK357 Said

I own an ipod because it is the only portable media player that is easily available for a low(ish) cost and can store the amount of music and video which it does store.
I never had any desire to get the Itouch because it seemed so gimmiky- an iPhone that's not a phone is how i see it.

really?
im actually put of the ipod (normal one) because of its price and lack of features.
for me there are plenty of other mp3 players out there which can do the what the ipod can but better and for cheaper.

i used to think the same of the ipod touch, until i used one.
its actually very very good, the interface is probably the best you can get, the sound quality is good (although there are plenty of other mp3s players out there which outshine it easily)

and it has some really useful features, for example it has wifi and it has the ability to retrieve your emails from your email account automatically when it is connected to wifi, so that means as soon as i step into my house i have access to my emails without having to log on to my computer.
Sausage Snowman

#11New Post! Jul 23, 2009 @ 01:57:26
@mark_is_god Said

really?
im actually put of the ipod (normal one) because of its price and lack of features.
for me there are plenty of other mp3 players out there which can do the what the ipod can but better and for cheaper.

i used to think the same of the ipod touch, until i used one.
its actually very very good, the interface is probably the best you can get, the sound quality is good (although there are plenty of other mp3s players out there which outshine it easily)

and it has some really useful features, for example it has wifi and it has the ability to retrieve your emails from your email account automatically when it is connected to wifi, so that means as soon as i step into my house i have access to my emails without having to log on to my computer.

I dunno, I don't really like other mp3 plays because the longest I am able to keep on of them running isn't usually more than two or three months, they also seem more prone to glitching out and refusing to play certain tracks and stuff of that nature, ipod has a few of these problems but seemingly a lot less often and when it does happen you just need to resync or restart the ipod.
The itouch is fair enough and i almost bought one, but i would rather just spend the extra and get the iphone or one of the competitors to it because... well i dunno, just seems like A 16 GB wouldn't be nearly enough for me, my current ipod has nearly 60 GB of stuff on it :/ I listen to 90% of the music and wouldn't really like to lose any of the films, there's also eh problem that I don't get any emails from anyone and I don't feel enticed by any of the apps or any of that stuff

Whatever though, it's up to yourself.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs