Is it ever okay to hit kids?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 ...8 9 10 · >>
Grasshopper On January 11, 2023
Just me.

Fort Collins, Colorado
#1New Post! Nov 07, 2011 @ 00:32:21
Now calm down! lol. I mean if they do something bad. Some of the best raised people have parents who whipped them like no tomorrow.

As long as it's only to teached them that what they did was wrong?
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#2New Post! Nov 07, 2011 @ 00:32:57
No.
plebian_angel On April 25, 2012
Intergalactic hussy

a great future,
#3New Post! Nov 07, 2011 @ 00:33:04
Hell no.
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Nov 07, 2011 @ 00:33:23
No.
Intergalactic hussy

a great future,
#5New Post! Nov 07, 2011 @ 00:34:25
And how does hitting them show them they were wrong?
SpoOny On November 26, 2017
Crazy Cat Lady

Moo-Box, Finland
#6New Post! Nov 07, 2011 @ 00:36:33
No.
MAW On October 31, 2012

Deleted

Stockport, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Nov 07, 2011 @ 00:37:16
@Grasshopper Said

Now calm down! lol. I mean if they do something bad. Some of the best raised people have parents who whipped them like no tomorrow.

As long as it's only to teached them that what they did was wrong?

If it works then fair enough, a smack is fine, but really beating a child is wrong.
Just me.

Fort Collins, Colorado
#8New Post! Nov 07, 2011 @ 00:40:34
@plebian_angel Said

And how does hitting them show them they were wrong?

I dunno. Wouldn't it teach them that the world isn't all hugs and smiles?

Mind you, I've never hit a child. But I noticed people who were spanked are more well behaved, and have a "tougher hide" than people who were raised with no disipline.

Of course it's never okay to go crazy and beat the s*** out've them. But a simple slap in the ass, or punch in the arm?
Intergalactic hussy

a great future,
#9New Post! Nov 07, 2011 @ 00:43:06
@Grasshopper Said

Mind you, I've never hit a child. But I noticed people who were spanked are more well behaved, and have a "tougher hide" than people who were raised with no disipline.

Of course it's never okay to go crazy and beat the s*** out've them. But a simple slap in the ass, or punch in the arm?

WTF? So you should teach kids reality by hitting on them? You can teach a kid the world is not all hugs and smiles in other ways than beating on them.
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#10New Post! Nov 07, 2011 @ 00:43:06
@Grasshopper Said

Yes, hitting them will get kids behaved. Goes without saying. But it creates a host of other problems.

And the reason you sometimes see them better behaved than those who aren't hit is because it takes more work to discipline kids without hitting them, something many don't have the will or ability to do.
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Nov 07, 2011 @ 00:44:12
@Grasshopper Said

You can discipline a child without hurting them.

I was hit as a child and I've never forgiven my father, it's part of the reason I don't get along with him.
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#12New Post! Nov 07, 2011 @ 00:57:44
"whipped them like there is no tomorrow"
no, never right, you should not hit a child out of anger. That phrasing screams anger to me, and that is not disciplinary but something worse.

to me that is way further than a spanking, which I can see instances of it working as disciplinary method, but probably should be used as a method of last resort.

I think anger on the parent's part should not be part of the equation, if they are so upset they can't think straight, the "punishment" should wait until the parent has a clear head.

I think that line between discipline and abuse can be very hard to define for some people. Extreme cases on both sides are easy, it's the grey stuff in the middle, sometimes it varies so much by situation and child that it's hard to deal in absolutes. What works easily for some, will not work at all for others. And yet the end goal for the parent is to instil that there are consequences for actions, and a general expectation in society to act a certain way.

There are some non physical punishments I have heard of parents doing that seem just as abusive as beating, but not hitting the child doesn't make those ok either. They were just as angry and wanting to hurt the child rather than demonstrate consequences.

Mostly I guess I'm saying the way you say it sounds wrong, but its not an easy yes or no question all the time.
Just me.

Fort Collins, Colorado
#13New Post! Nov 07, 2011 @ 01:13:16
@plebian_angel Said

WTF? So you should teach kids reality by hitting on them? You can teach a kid the world is not all hugs and smiles in other ways than beating on them.

No I wouldn't. But for others with the preference to do so.

It can show them that you're serious about the ground rules. But that doesn't mean you have to always be the punisher. You could also be there for them when they need you.
Intergalactic hussy

a great future,
#14New Post! Nov 07, 2011 @ 01:16:42
@Grasshopper Said

No I wouldn't. But for others with the preference to do so.

It can show them that you're serious about the ground rules. But that doesn't mean you have to always be the punisher. You could also be there for them when they need you.

If I had a parent who hit me, I would never go to them for anything
white_swan53 On October 07, 2020

n/a, New Mexico
#15New Post! Nov 07, 2011 @ 01:20:01
I spanked my kids with my bare hand on their bottoms .
There are times when a smack or two on the butt will get their attention quick and completely.
I learned very early in my tenor as a parent that as soon as I lost my temper I lost the 'war of wills'.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 ...8 9 10 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs