The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Religion & Philosophy

Is belief in the supernatural an intelligent person’s game?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 · >>
Erimitus On July 01, 2021

The mind of God, Antarctica
#46New Post! Jul 03, 2019 @ 17:54:18
@mrmhead Said

What is there to stop the universe from being infinite?

Nothing
Erimitus On July 01, 2021

The mind of God, Antarctica
#47New Post! Jul 03, 2019 @ 17:56:54
@chaski Said

I once read a science fiction story... (long story short)....

Two guys are surveying the farthest reaches of the universe when they encounter a wall extending in all directions.

One of the guys spacewalks over to the wall, comes back and asks his partner for a quarter...

2nd guy: Why?

1st guy: There is a peep hole that reads "one quarter to see the end of the universe".

They find a quarter. The 1st guy space walks back to the wall. Inserts the quarter and looks through the peep hole. then comes back the the space ship.

2nd guy: So... what did you see?

1st guy: Nothing. It was just the end of the universe.

2nd guy:

you have to be careful or you might fall off the edge
chaski On about 15 hours ago
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#48New Post! Jul 03, 2019 @ 18:36:00
Stalker

#49New Post! Jul 03, 2019 @ 19:02:18
@chaski Said

Well that is screwed up... my post vanished...
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#50New Post! Jul 03, 2019 @ 20:19:31
@chaski Said

Well that is screwed up... my post vanished...

Maybe it fell off the edge of the universe...

NE, Ohio
#51New Post! Jul 03, 2019 @ 20:21:22
@mrmhead Said

Maybe it fell off the edge of the universe...

Could you imagine if we found the edge of the universe?

How many people will fall off the edge taking selfies?
Stalker

#52New Post! Jul 03, 2019 @ 20:28:11
@mrmhead Said

Could you imagine if we found the edge of the universe?

How many people will fall off the edge taking selfies?

Lot's of people... all taking selfies...

The fun part is that they would fall.... forever....
Electric_Banana On February 05, 2024

, New Zealand
#53New Post! Jul 03, 2019 @ 21:55:29
Going back to the original question

I believe it's intelligent to offer enough weight to supernatural claims to investigate them further to discover what it actually was that was experienced.

I don't believe in demons but it may be possible that some little fat thirteen year old hackers out there may have learned how to screw with some people telepathically.

I don't believe in ghosts however if we all share info over a biowave network (i-Robot like) it could be possible that we cross visions with others sometimes and see less opaque versions of of what is in front of the individual we're accidentally connecting with (also maybe partially hearing discussions taking place in that individual's environment ie; 'Voices' ).

So while you mostly likely won't uncover anything too comic-booky there are still many peculiar sciences, serving as string, smoke and mirrors, to understand better.

Best way to look at it is that Philosophy is seen by many as useless but Philosophy, conjecture, speculation, conspiracy theory IS the catalyst for all science research and discoveries; the odd questions facilitate excuse for and inspire new experiments.
Electric_Banana On February 05, 2024

, New Zealand
#54New Post! Jul 03, 2019 @ 22:41:11
@GreatestIam2 Said

Gen 3; 17 Thou shalt not eat of it; cursed is the ground for thy sake; in toil shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life.

The knowledge of 'Good' and 'Live' : it suggests suicide as the only noble reaction and road less travelled.

The man who walks into this existence and laughs stating "Sorry, Satan but I'm not settling for your McDonald's when I can go and build a four-star elsewhere and then takes his life laughing at this cheesy trick; this cheap-offering of a 'world.'

@GreatestIam2 Said

That means that we live in the best of all possible worlds, because it is the only possible world, given all the conditions at hand and the history that got us here. That is an irrefutable statement given entropy and the anthropic principle.

Regards
DL

And if that best possible world only flames? Only stimulation from burning?

I'm a 'Give me liberty or give me death' kinda guy - If misery and strife is all there is to be than I would rather not be at all.
bob_the_fisherman On January 30, 2023
Anatidaephobic

, Angola
#55New Post! Jul 03, 2019 @ 23:22:41
@mrmhead Said

I fail to see the jump from "if it is infinite" to "then we are not here".

Your bottomless bucket doesn't work here.
If you dump water in the bucket, there is still water in the bucket.

Just because you can't fill the bucket doesn't mean there is no water.

The problem is that you're not grasping what an infinite universe means (or an infinite bucket, if you prefer).

How much water do you need to add to an infinite bucket before the water volume increases? The answer is, no matter how much water you add the volume never increases.

We can add an infinite number of infinite volumes of water to an infinitely large bucket and there is no more water in the bucket than there was before.

The simple reality is that an infinite universe in infinite time is not a thing. The only way it would be remotely possible (leaving aside the fact that it is logically impossible), is if energy was being created at an infinite rate, which is self evidently not happening.
Anatidaephobic

, Angola
#56New Post! Jul 03, 2019 @ 23:28:06
@chaski Said

Lot's of people... all taking selfies...

The fun part is that they would fall.... forever....

The fun part is that they actually wouldn't. There is no space at the end of the universe for them to fall into, so they would hit whatever the absence of all things including space is, at which point there frozen solid bodies would probably explode, precipitating a colossal Big Bang and a whole new universe as their bloated entrails distended the walls of reality and broke off into a separate plane of existence....

So, it seems we have answered the question. This universe is like it is because it's the product of some clown's distended entrails exploding at the edge of the previous universe.

This is not only a plausible scenario, it also helps explain the reality we live in.

Case solved.
Anatidaephobic

, Angola
#57New Post! Jul 04, 2019 @ 00:43:15
@chaski Said

I assumed nothing to the sort.

On the other hand your error is trying to use monkeys to prove that apples taste better than oranges.

Again, you know this is false. You know that just because matter is related to points in time via movement, it does not follow that a supernatural being is also limited this way.

You're claiming that if a duck has feet a goat can fly. I see no reason to accept this as valid.
Stalker

#58New Post! Jul 04, 2019 @ 01:01:16
@bob_the_fisherman Said

Again, you know this is false. You know that just because matter is related to points in time via movement, it does not follow that a supernatural being is also limited this way.

You're claiming that if a duck has feet a goat can fly. I see no reason to accept this as valid.

I never put limitations on any supernatural being, especially not infinite ones.

All I did was to use your silly and inapplicable logic about an infinite universe to your infinite supernatural being, who must "live" in an infinite "universe" as a finite universe wouldn't quite fit.

By the way, were does your infinite supernatural being reside?
Stalker

#59New Post! Jul 04, 2019 @ 01:02:39
@bob_the_fisherman Said

So, it seems we have answered the question. This universe is infinite.

There fixed that for you...

Yeah We agree

NE, Ohio
#60New Post! Jul 04, 2019 @ 01:45:09
@bob_the_fisherman Said

The problem is that you're not grasping what an infinite universe means (or an infinite bucket, if you prefer).

How much water do you need to add to an infinite bucket before the water volume increases? The answer is, no matter how much water you add the volume never increases.

We can add an infinite number of infinite volumes of water to an infinitely large bucket and there is no more water in the bucket than there was before.

The simple reality is that an infinite universe in infinite time is not a thing. The only way it would be remotely possible (leaving aside the fact that it is logically impossible), is if energy was being created at an infinite rate, which is self evidently not happening.

No.

If you add water, you are adding water, and adding volume.
Volume is not relative to the size of the container.
A measurement of volume is absolute.
You put a measured volume of water into an infinite bucket, you still have added that measured volume. It does not suddenly become nothing because you moved it to an infinite bucket.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs