Religion & Philosophy

Is Islam a religion of peace?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 · >>
patriotic On March 13, 2020

#46New Post! Mar 06, 2020 @ 14:58:42
@Leon Said

Your quotes and references proved nothing other than your attempt to fit a theory of yours. I can do the same with quotes to fit any theory of mine, such as god-ordained gay bashing, slavery, genocide, and child abuse. Each of which people have historically done - all factual, look it up. So yes, it very much does apply to Christianity, as it does to Islam and its holy texts and many other religions.

People use religion to suit their motives a heck of a lot more than the other way around. Always have and always will.

AGAIN, texts and references.
Please, do not provide behavior of people as proof. Even you know that this does not wash. TEXTS AND REFERENCES.
Erimitus On July 01, 2021

The mind of God, Antarctica
#47New Post! Mar 06, 2020 @ 16:24:36
@patriotic Said

AGAIN, texts and references.
Please, do not provide behavior of people as proof. Even you know that this does not wash. TEXTS AND REFERENCES.

so sayeth the Ministry of Truth

#48New Post! Mar 10, 2020 @ 21:03:00
@chaski Said

Right.

So you selectively use some things from the bible, but fail to "prove" your point because you purposefully ignore other parts of the bible, AND purposefully ignore the history of Christianity...

Therefore we are the ones who are not interested in "serious discussion".

Maybe you should try reading all of the bible and when presenting your position NOT ignore the parts you don't like. Then perhaps you will have demonstrated a true interest in a serious discussion.

As it stands your discussion amounts so I, patriotic, who haven't even really all of the bible, am right and you all are wrong, because I say so.

That is not serious discussion. That is only you demanding that your opinion is unequivocally right and anyone who disagrees with you is wrong and not interested in serious discussion.

OK. I ask a question, how one proves a point in any religion. I answer, by posting from the book of that religion. That simple. Arguing, generally and when posting from a religious book would be called 'selectively', where this all would take us, NO WHERE.
chaski On about 15 hours ago
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#49New Post! Mar 10, 2020 @ 22:29:20
@patriotic Said

OK. I ask a question, how one proves a point in any religion. I answer, by posting from the book of that religion. That simple. Arguing, generally and when posting from a religious book would be called 'selectively', where this all would take us, NO WHERE.

What is your point?

That you think it is ok to use parts of your holy book to support you opinion, while ignoring other parts of your holy book that don't support your opinion? Do you use any of the old testament to support your belief? Some of it, but not all of it... right? Very selective on your part to pick the parts you like and ignore that parts you don't.

That is exactly what extremists religious sects have done since the formation of your holy book.

Anyone can do that... open the bible, pick a passage, claim that it supports whatever you position is... complete bulls***.

I forget... have you actually read all of the bible yet? From first word to last word? Study it... its compilation... its history... the history that surrounds it?

#50New Post! Mar 11, 2020 @ 11:16:31
@chaski Said

What is your point?

That you think it is ok to use parts of your holy book to support you opinion, while ignoring other parts of your holy book that don't support your opinion? Do you use any of the old testament to support your belief? Some of it, but not all of it... right? Very selective on your part to pick the parts you like and ignore that parts you don't.

That is exactly what extremists religious sects have done since the formation of your holy book.

Anyone can do that... open the bible, pick a passage, claim that it supports whatever you position is... complete bulls***.

I forget... have you actually read all of the bible yet? From first word to last word? Study it... its compilation... its history... the history that surrounds it?

To answer your question, YES, I have read the Bible from first word to last word many times. Did you?
Again, give me quotes from the Bible which I have neglected to mention which are violent. Come on get real and try to get in to intellectual discussion.
As a starter, let me mention something very important. The OT is the 'law establishment era, the NT is the grace era. Please, search for thee meaning of these two items, before replying. Thanks.
Erimitus On July 01, 2021

The mind of God, Antarctica
#51New Post! Mar 11, 2020 @ 14:02:28
Quote:
To answer your question, YES, I have read the Bible from first word to last word many times. Did you?
Again, give me quotes from the Bible which I have neglected to mention which are violent. Come on get real and try to get in to intellectual discussion.
As a starter, let me mention something very important. The OT is the 'law establishment era, the NT is the grace era. Please, search for thee meaning of these two items, before replying. Thanks.

****edited to fix quote tag. -Tiger
Stalker

#52New Post! Mar 11, 2020 @ 15:55:09
@patriotic Said

Yes I’ve read it fully five times (I would say 7 or 8 but honestly I stopped reading Revelations and most of the Paulinan garbage 10 or 15 years ago) and have studied it literally for the last 50 years, including its history and formation.

Jesus made his position of the OT clear “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. (NIV, Matthew 5:17–18)

So, your pretense that the hate presented in the OT is overridden by the “era of grace” is BS.

In my next post I’ll just list a few of the passages that describe your god directing murder, slavery and hate.

You are welcome.
Stalker

#55New Post! Mar 12, 2020 @ 15:34:15
@patriotic Said

Many argue that since the Bible contains the Old & New testaments, Christians are responsible with the violence in the OT..

If and when christians uses the old testament to promote slavery (which Chirsitand did for centuries)...

If and when christians use the old testament to repress members of the LGBTQ community (which they do on a regular basis)...

If and when christians use the old testament to support wars (which they have done for centuries and continue to do today)...

If and when christians use the old testament to repress women (which they have done for centuries and many continue to do today)....

etc... etc... etc...

Then the their christian claim that the New Testament makes things different, is nothing more than a load of horse s***.

@patriotic Said

the OT was to establish the law era.

Which according to Jesus remains unchanged; "not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished".

@patriotic Said

If you read the Bible WITHOUT BIAS you would come to the obvious conclusion that the God of Judeo-Christian is extremely loving God.

If you read the bible with BIAS you will believe that it is about a good and loving god.

If you read the bible without BIAS you will understand that it is mythology.
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#56New Post! Mar 12, 2020 @ 18:58:15
That love is conditional.

And if you won’t confront to the conditions then murder is acceptable.
That’s not very peaceful. Quite the opposite indeed.
Stalker

#57New Post! Mar 13, 2020 @ 00:20:01
I like the recommendation to read the bible (and/or any holly book) objectively and without bias.

I have met very few christians who have ever done this. (Of course I have met very few christians who have actually read all of the bible).

From my limited and (admittedly) non-statistically valid sampling of christians on the topic, the ones who read the bible have predetermined that the bible is the word of god and is fully accurate on all accounts.

> Not one of them read the bible from the perspective of I don't know if it is true or not, but I am going to read it with an open mind.

> Not one of them read the bible from the perspective of I don't know if it is factual, metaphorical, or a combination of factual and metaphorical, but I am going to read it with an open mind.

> Not one of them even read the bible from the perspective of I am going to pray to god while reading this, the bible, and pray that god opens my mind to the truth..

> They all read it from the biased perspective This is absolutely and unequivocally the word of god, and I must accept and defend that it is the word of god without doubt or reservation of any kind..

In fact, that is exactly how I started reading the bible so many years ago. I was unequivocally biased that the bible was the unadulterated word of god.

And yet, over time... reading it numerous times... studying it for 50 years... reason broke down my biased thinking... reason forced me to read the bible without bias... without preconceived/predetermined notions. I finally read it... again and again from a questioning unbiased point of view.

And the only conclusion that I could reach was that the Christian bible is mythology complied by the servants of the Emperor Constantine, at the direction of the Emperor Constantine, with the intention of gaining control of the then growing "early" christian movement, with the ultimate purpose of controlling all of the subjects of the Roman Emperor Constantine.

From the unbiased perspective, there is only one conclusion: the bible is mythology and the various sects of christianity have been formed to pick and choose the parts they like, while ignoring the parts they don't like, in an effort to NOT find the "truth" but rather to control the stupid, willfully ignorant and/or gullible masses... to divide people into two groups: "Us" and "Them".

Truth is a Pathless Land.
GreatestIam2 On January 06, 2023

Ottawa, Canada
#58New Post! Mar 13, 2020 @ 20:32:20
@patriotic Said

If you read the Bible WITHOUT BIAS you would come to the obvious conclusion that the God of Judeo-Christian is extremely loving God.
Peace.

Not when Jesus is tied at the hip to the genocidal prick, Yahweh, with that foolish Trinity concept.

Not to mention where Jesus says he will also use genocide on us when he returns.

Both Yahweh and Jesus are inferior gods and that is why I and all Gnostic Christians put ourselves above that moral monster.

Regards
DL
4d4m On December 23, 2022

4dforum.org,
#59New Post! Apr 10, 2020 @ 04:40:19
"Is Islam a religion of peace?"

LOL
4d4m On December 23, 2022

4dforum.org,
#60New Post! Apr 10, 2020 @ 04:58:59
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 · >>