Forums:
Religion & Philosophy

Is Islam a religion of peace?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 · >>
patriotic On March 13, 2020

#31New Post! Dec 16, 2019 @ 09:09:14
There is a thematic unity. The OT leaves us with unfulfilled prophecies, unexplained ceremonies, unsatisfied longings and as unfinished destiny. The NT fulfills, explains, satisfies and finishes all of these things.
Jesus said, “Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill.” Matt 5:17
And He continues; “You have heard that it was said. ‘An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.’ But I tell you…whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also.” Matt 5:38-39
Also, “You have heard that it was said, ‘you shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy’. But I say to you, love your enemies.” And much more in Matthew 5, for whoever is honest and serious about finding the TRUTH.
Also, one should note the fact that Jesus did not force his teachings on His followers: “And whoever will not receive you nor hear your words, when you depart from that house or city, shake off the dust from your feet.” Matt 10:14
Also, “If the household is worthy, let your peace come upon. But if it is not worthy, let your peace return to you.” Matt 10-13

As you may notice, Jesus is taking the people GRADUALLY from the era of establishing the law to extreme peace & love. Look at the people's behavior with Moses after all what he has done for them.
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#32New Post! Dec 16, 2019 @ 16:59:39
@chaski Said

Yes.. @patriotic should do that... however it would not be fully accurate. I could give a long winded answer, but will just quote Jesus.

Jesus, ""Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them."

>>> That is, Jesus was not changing the laws in the Old Testament... all the stoning of people who violate the law, hate for homosexuals, etc. <<<

Note: Yes, some will point to the story of the prostitute.... but Jesus didn't change the law of stoning prostitutes. All Jesus did was guilt the men who had been using the prostitute into not stoning her, and give her a life saving suggestions "go and sin no more"... i.e. stop being a prostitute or you are going to get yourself stoned to death you dumb wench.

@patriotic Said

There is a thematic unity. The OT leaves us with unfulfilled prophecies, unexplained ceremonies, unsatisfied longings and as unfinished destiny. The NT fulfills, explains, satisfies and finishes all of these things.
Jesus said, “Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill.” Matt 5:17
And He continues; “You have heard that it was said. ‘An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.’ But I tell you…whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also.” Matt 5:38-39
Also, “You have heard that it was said, ‘you shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy’. But I say to you, love your enemies.” And much more in Matthew 5, for whoever is honest and serious about finding the TRUTH.
Also, one should note the fact that Jesus did not force his teachings on His followers: “And whoever will not receive you nor hear your words, when you depart from that house or city, shake off the dust from your feet.” Matt 10:14
Also, “If the household is worthy, let your peace come upon. But if it is not worthy, let your peace return to you.” Matt 10-13

As you may notice, Jesus is taking the people GRADUALLY from the era of establishing the law to extreme peace & love. Look at the people's behavior with Moses after all what he has done for them.

It’s really difficult to reconcile the two. On some instances, he backs the law and what the Jewish people follow, on other instances he destroys and replaces it. You have to go through reinterpretive gymnastics to unify them as both of you have done.

Personally, I just attribute it to man evolving in his approach to religion and philosophy rather than something divinely pre-ordained to constitute a single unified or consistent canon. The pieces simply don’t fit. They are each written from wholly different eras and settings, and the Israelites viewed God’s plan one way, Jesus did another way. Pure and simple.
chaski On about 12 hours ago
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#33New Post! Dec 16, 2019 @ 20:34:18
@Leon Said

You have to go through reinterpretive gymnastics to unify them as both of you have done.

Or you use the NT to promote the "good" and "loving" parts to convince people they are forgiven of all wrong doing my merely accepting the Jesus story.

Then when you want to point your holier than tho finger at someone, you pull passages out of the OT to insult people and tell they are an aberration against god... the obvious but not only example being homosexuals.

Its a great book that lets you be "loving" and "hateful" all at once.
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#34New Post! Dec 16, 2019 @ 20:49:04
@Cpat92 Said

I don't really think any of the Abrahamic Religions are centered around peace.

I think they are centered around control. Follow me or die. No in between. Whether something is “peaceful” or right doesn’t matter.—As long as you are following the leader.

Obedience is the control method religion makes people think they have peace.
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#35New Post! Dec 16, 2019 @ 21:50:27
@chaski Said

Or you use the NT to promote the "good" and "loving" parts to convince people they are forgiven of all wrong doing my merely accepting the Jesus story.

Then when you want to point your holier than tho finger at someone, you pull passages out of the OT to insult people and tell they are an aberration against god... the obvious but not only example being homosexuals.

Its a great book that lets you be "loving" and "hateful" all at once.

Of course. People have been using scripture, or religion in general, to fit their purpose ad nauseam.

And of course, it’s just as easy to throw it back at them with another quote from the same source. The best is when they are genuinely surprised that what you throw back at them is in there.

#36New Post! Dec 17, 2019 @ 17:13:45
Of course. People have been using scripture, or religion in general, to fit their purpose ad nauseam.

And of course, it’s just as easy to throw it back at them with another quote from the same source. The best is when they are genuinely surprised that what you throw back at them is in there.

Generalizations, is very misleading especially in the subject of religion.
That is why I support my posts with references.
How about that? It brings us no where just to say something and cannot support it.
Well, answering your comment, anyway, what you said DOES NOT APPLY TO CHRISTIANITY.
Stalker

#37New Post! Dec 17, 2019 @ 17:18:48
@Leon Said

@patriotic Said

what you said DOES NOT APPLY TO CHRISTIANITY.

gakINGKONG On October 18, 2022

, Florida
#38New Post! Dec 17, 2019 @ 19:20:26
@DiscordTiger Said

I think they are centered around control. Follow me or die. No in between. Whether something is “peaceful” or right doesn’t matter.—As long as you are following the leader.

Obedience is the control method religion makes people think they have peace.

I agree peace is merely a by product

As long as there's food I'll shovel it down
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#39New Post! Dec 18, 2019 @ 03:36:55
@patriotic Said

Generalizations, is very misleading especially in the subject of religion.
That is why I support my posts with references.
How about that? It brings us no where just to say something and cannot support it.
Well, answering your comment, anyway, what you said DOES NOT APPLY TO CHRISTIANITY.

Your quotes and references proved nothing other than your attempt to fit a theory of yours. I can do the same with quotes to fit any theory of mine, such as god-ordained gay bashing, slavery, genocide, and child abuse. Each of which people have historically done - all factual, look it up. So yes, it very much does apply to Christianity, as it does to Islam and its holy texts and many other religions.

People use religion to suit their motives a heck of a lot more than the other way around. Always have and always will.
Stalker

#40New Post! Dec 18, 2019 @ 05:07:11
Is Islam a religion of peace?

Is there any religion that is a religion of peace?

Keep in mind when answering, that (at least arguably) buddhism is “way of life” not actually a religion so (perhaps) shouldn't be counted.

And that Shintoism, Hinduism, Judaism, Islam & Christianity (the Abrahamic religions) have each and all been used to promote/support/justify wars (aka "just wars" ). In addition, the various pagan (or pantheist) belief systems did not typically prohibit war and sometimes supported it.

And, if all religions ultimately have one or more excuses for war, aren't they all NOT ultimately religions of peace?
gakINGKONG On October 18, 2022

, Florida
#41New Post! Dec 18, 2019 @ 10:29:14
@patriotic Said

Jesus said, “you shall love your Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul and with all your mind.. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like it ‘You shall love your neighbor as your self. On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets,” Mt22:37-40
“A new commandment I give you, that you love one another; as I loved you , that you also love one another, by this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another, John 13:34-35
“If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word, and My Father will love him, and We will come into him and make Our home with him.” John 14:23
“These things I command you, that you love one another.” John 15-17
“You have heard that it was said to those of old, you shall not murder, and whoever murders will be in danger of judgment, but I say to you that whoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment “. Mt. 5:21-22
“Furthermore, it has been said, whoever divorces his wife let him give a certificate of divorce. But I say to you that whoever divorces his wife for any reason except sexual immorality causes her to commit adultery.” Mt 5:31-32
“You have heard that it was said, you shall love your neighbor and hate you enemy; but I say to you ‘love you enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those spitefully use you and persecute you.” Mt 5:43-44

“Love never fails.” 1 Cor 13:8
“For I have come not to call the righteous, but the sinners.” Mt. 9:13
“with all lowliness and gentleness, with long suffering, bearing one another in love.” Eph 4:2
“Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself for her.” Eph 5:25

“For the love of money is the root of all kinds of evil.” 1 Tm 6:10
“Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal.” Mt 6:8

“Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you , not as the world gives I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.” John 14:27
IF THIS NOT PEACE, WHAT IS?!

They’re talking about the free love hippie flower thing. Peace without context. “War is over if you want””— type trash
Stalker

#42New Post! Dec 18, 2019 @ 16:00:17
@gakINGKONG Said

They’re talking about the free love hippie flower thing.

I wasn't talking about "the free love hippie flower thing". I also wasn't talking about the band War.

I was talking about the opposite of "peace" and "love", that is: hate, slavery, violence, murder, war, etc...

And (as an aside) as someone who has gone to war (unlike our draft dodging president) I was recognize war in the sense of armies fighting and killing each other as they have done on planet earth for thousands of years... often if not always supported, justified or even caused by religions.

#43New Post! Dec 18, 2019 @ 20:45:04
Well, It is obvious that the folks here are not interested in serious discussion.
I asked few times, give texts and references to prove a point.
Stalker

#44New Post! Dec 18, 2019 @ 20:59:02
@patriotic Said

Well, It is obvious that the folks here are not interested in serious discussion.
I asked few times, give texts and references to prove a point.

Right.

So you selectively use some things from the bible, but fail to "prove" your point because you purposefully ignore other parts of the bible, AND purposefully ignore the history of Christianity...

Therefore we are the ones who are not interested in "serious discussion".

Maybe you should try reading all of the bible and when presenting your position NOT ignore the parts you don't like. Then perhaps you will have demonstrated a true interest in a serious discussion.

As it stands your discussion amounts so I, patriotic, who haven't even really all of the bible, am right and you all are wrong, because I say so.

That is not serious discussion. That is only you demanding that your opinion is unequivocally right and anyone who disagrees with you is wrong and not interested in serious discussion.
crusty_fart On May 27, 2022

Somewhere, United Kingdom
#45New Post! Dec 18, 2019 @ 23:39:36
Most religions based on their histories and holy books probably would not be classed as religions of peace.

religions firstly divide people, then generally some deity has some crazy wrath which results in the non believers dying. Wicca is slightly different, so are a few others. But it is the general gist.

anyway you then get followers, some are peaceful, some are not.

i imagine that for a lot of religious folk, religion is just something they discovered which gave them a way to cope with reality.

Its really that simple.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs