Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 ...6 7 8 · >>
MadCornishBiker On January 14, 2014

Banned

St Columb Road, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Feb 08, 2012 @ 16:39:28
Jesus certainly thought so. As he said in prayer to his Father:-

John 17:25,26 "Righteous Father, the world has, indeed, not come to know you; but I have come to know you, and these have come to know that you sent me forth. 26 And I have made your name known to them and will make it known, in order that the love with which you loved me may be in them and I in union with them."

If Jesus felt it was important to make his Father's name known, why have others felt it important to remove it from the 7,000 plus places it belongs in Scripture? And can we trust the translations of those who have seen fit to make such alterations?

As you will notice, Jesus also talks about his followers getting to know his Father, so why do some so called Christians claim He is unknowable? Is Jesus asking us to do the impossible? Never will that be.

If you teach things against what Christ taught can you really call yourself Christian?
Cinnamon On April 21, 2012

USA,
#2New Post! Feb 09, 2012 @ 00:17:00
Of course it is. That's a given.

So many are lost thinking that the koran teaches the Word of God. ?? That it's just another Bible. ?? Unbelievable! Well, we saw how much they thought of God when they knocked our towers down. They hate the West and that's what their book of hate directs them to do. Hate the infidel.

Read up, people. And read a bit about Mohammad, the pedophile. While you're at it, read about taqiyya and kitman. Only the most seasoned muslims have mastered that skill. It's very dangerous to America.

Just the facts. Get out of your cave, America!

Wheezy_Knight On February 24, 2012

Deleted

Ankh-Morpork, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Feb 09, 2012 @ 00:43:37
Are we banging on about the nine billion names of God here?

There's a good sci-fi story about that.
Jesus_Christ On March 12, 2016

f*** off,I'm on vacation, Baha
#4New Post! Feb 09, 2012 @ 00:44:23
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#5New Post! Feb 09, 2012 @ 00:48:04
@MadCornishBiker Said

John 17:25,26 "Righteous Father, the world has, indeed, not come to know you; but I have come to know you, and these have come to know that you sent me forth. 26 And I have made your name known to them and will make it known, in order that the love with which you loved me may be in them and I in union with them."

1. In that prayer jesus is does not use god's name.

2. In what language are you referring? Does a jew need to know god's arabic name...or name in arabic? Does an englishman need to know god's name in hebrew? Does a german need to know god's name in latin? Does a frenchman need to know god's name in greek?

3. If a person makes prayer to god as jesus described (i.e. "Our father..." ) is that person wrong? If another person refers to god as in a psalm (i.e. Lord) is that person wrong?

4. (Assuming the god exists) do you think that he does not know what is in a person's heart... even if that person does not know god's name?

5. How many names does god have?
LuckyCharms On July 31, 2021
Magically Delicious

#6New Post! Feb 09, 2012 @ 01:20:14
Nope.
EoWyN On April 01, 2015
Lucky Me!

Deleted

Under your bed,
#7New Post! Feb 09, 2012 @ 01:24:33
Most Certainly not! You Teach what he taught, you do as he did! I do not believe in god or the devil or any of that. but if you are going to call yourself a Christian you better damn well act like one. if you don't well then what does this say about you? Is God's name Important? well I am sure it is to those who truly believe. but i have been told by a friend who is Christian its not about going to church and spewing the bible but its about a relationship with god! So No you Cannot Call yourself a Christian if you teach Against god

Banned

#8New Post! Feb 09, 2012 @ 01:24:56
@chaski Said

1. In that prayer jesus is does not use god's name.

2. In what language are you referring? Does a jew need to know god's arabic name...or name in arabic? Does an englishman need to know god's name in hebrew? Does a german need to know god's name in latin? Does a frenchman need to know god's name in greek?

3. If a person makes prayer to god as jesus described (i.e. "Our father..." ) is that person wrong? If another person refers to god as in a psalm (i.e. Lord) is that person wrong?

4. (Assuming the god exists) do you think that he does not know what is in a person's heart... even if that person does not know god's name?

5. How many names does god have?

1: No he doesn't, he merely points out that he has made the name known, he wouldn't need to use it talking to his Father, after all how many of us call our fathers by anything other than father or a variant thereof.

2: The only languages we know God's name in are the Hebrew and it's latinised version. There is a little doubt over the full spelling of the divine name because the Jews refused to pronounce it for many decades due to a superstition picked up from pagan races. Therefore we can only be 100% certain of the consonants, the Hebrew characters for which are Yodh He Waw He (YHWH) the Waw is sometimes taken as a placeholder for either "O" or "U", because of this certain scribal vowel pointings indicate the probability of the name being either Yehowah or Yahweh. Yehowah transliterates into the latin as Jehovah, thugh some translators prefer Yaweh.

3. Difficult to comment on this one because a lot depends on how accurate the translation you got the word "lord" from. Many translations have removed the divine name from the vast majority of the 7,000 places it belongs in and replaced it with LORD. That is probably the case where you saw Lord. As William Tyndale put it in c1530 "Moreover as oft as thou seist LORD in great letters (except there be any error in the printing) it is in Hebrew Iehovah". Iehovah is the Grecian spelling of the name in the same way that the Greek version of Jesus is Iesus.

It is interesting to note also that the majority of translations that have done that have also been altered in other places to prove the trinity, so one can safely assume that is also the reason for the removal.

Any doctrine which requires alteration of scripture to "prove" it is obviously false.

There is nothing to say that we have to use the Divine Name all the time, but it is important that we recognise it for what it is. As Jesus said in his model prayer "The Lords Prayer" we have to pray to make that name holy, how can we do that if we hide it, cover it up, or remove it from our bibles.

Offhand I only know of two translations which have the divine name in at least the majority of places it should be. The American Standard Translation and of course the New World Translation. There may be others, but I haven't come across them yet.

4. Yes God will, when the time comes, know what is in a person's heart, if He doesn't already because we reveal what is in our hearts by the way we act and behave. For instance we sow God how important He is in our lives by getting to know Him, and that starts with His name, which has a definite meaning. Whilst there is no single translation for it means "I shall cause to become" or "I shall prove to be" as He told Moses.

We also show Him how much we care for our fellow humans by how we treat them, and even more so we show our appreciation for the sacrifice His son performed for us by adhering to his teachings (which he got from his Father anyway). Jesus made this clear when he said, as recorded at John 14:15-17 “If YOU love me, YOU will observe my commandments; 16 and I will request the Father and he will give YOU another helper to be with YOU forever, 17 the spirit of the truth, which the world cannot receive, because it neither beholds it nor knows it. YOU know it, because it remains with YOU and is in YOU."

That is how both God and Jesus know how genuine our hearts are and how we truly feel towards him and his Father.

God only has the one, which he himself chose, and as I explained above it has a meaning which is important. Exodus 3:15 tells us that.

"Then God said once more to Moses:
“This is what you are to say to the sons of Israel, ‘Jehovah the God of YOUR forefathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob, has sent me to YOU.’ This is my name to time indefinite, and this is the memorial of me to generation after generation"

His name will never change.
Tar On April 28, 2014

San Antonio, Texas
#9New Post! Feb 09, 2012 @ 01:25:48
Important to whom? To the person who is praying? You'd have to ask them because the importance is relative to the person with each individual assigning different levels of importance. Important to God? Depends on what book you are using or what god you are praying to. Some religions might not care, some might care a whole lot. Its all dependant and relative... at least that's what I gather from the world of religious folk out there

Banned

#10New Post! Feb 09, 2012 @ 01:27:34
@Eowyn Said

Most Certainly not! You Teach what he taught, you do as he did! I do not believe in god or the devil or any of that. but if you are going to call yourself a Christian you better damn well act like one. if you don't well then what does this say about you? Is God's name Important? well I am sure it is to those who truly believe. but i have been told by a friend who is Christian its not about going to church and spewing the bible but its about a relationship with god! So No you Cannot Call yourself a Christian if you teach Against god

That is very true, and is the reason that very few who call themselves Christian truly are.

Jesus said that his Father's name was important. He declared that he had made it known and would continue to do so. He also told us, in "The Lords Prayer" to pray for the hallowing (making holy) of it. That's how important he felt it to be.

Deleted

#11New Post! Feb 09, 2012 @ 01:28:17
El.

Banned

#12New Post! Feb 09, 2012 @ 01:29:14
@Tar Said

Important to whom? To the person who is praying? You'd have to ask them because the importance is relative to the person with each individual assigning different levels of importance. Important to God? Depends on what book you are using or what god you are praying to. Some religions might not care, some might care a whole lot. Its all dependant and relative... at least that's what I gather from the world of religious folk out there

God's unique name is important to Him, and it was also to His son, who taught us to pray for it's sanctification. Strange that so many who claim to be Christian do not even know what His name is, let alone what it actually means.
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#13New Post! Feb 09, 2012 @ 01:30:06
@MadCornishBiker Said

The only languages we know God's name in are the Hebrew and it's latinised version.

So the romans were allowed to change his name, but no one else is.

Deleted

#14New Post! Feb 09, 2012 @ 01:37:58
El
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#15New Post! Feb 09, 2012 @ 01:38:08
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 ...6 7 8 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply