The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Society & Lifestyles:
Law

Is Canadian Law Too Soft on Young Killers?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 · >>
sTreetAngeL On January 24, 2022
root tedt ree

in a paradox,
#16New Post! Jun 09, 2012 @ 01:24:11
@DorkySupergirl Said

I would prefer our minors to be treated too lenient than us putting minors on death row and executing them and also perhaps later finding out they are innocent.

Perhaps our justice system is too lenient on minors but we do allow the realization that people can change and want the focus to be on rehabilitation for the minor and to get help in prison and to leave and still have a chance at life. We are not a country as some are to execute and have minors on death row.

How many people have been proven innocent in your country who have been executed? I would rather live in a place that might be too lenient than a country that fries innocent people and allows minors to be on death row and not give a minor a chance to rehabilitate.

Lookie here, minors who could have a change to rehabilitate, executed in your state.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_juvenile_offenders_executed_in_the_United_States

If I was bothered to, I could find many cases in US law where a person was given a light sentence when they have done horrible things.

I could find deals made with US devils, like our Karla. It happens everywhere, not just in Canada.

But my country is more let us help minors and your state seems to be, no matter the age, no one changes, fry them.

Fiercely loyal you are!

@carelt1985 Said

I have no disrespect towards Canada. I'm proud to be an American, but I'm not too proud to admit we can be f***ed up...especially by law.

Amen. To that.
DorkySupergirl On November 02, 2017

, Canada
#17New Post! Jun 09, 2012 @ 01:33:36
@carelt1985 Said

To answer that...lots. I used to live in Chicago...and when these kids filmed a beating death on a young man, the guys who killed him needed to be punish. Also, I'm not speaking of the innocent. I'm speaking of the guilty. Those three girls I mentioned earlier, in my opinion, needs punishment.

@carelt1985 Said

I have no disrespect towards Canada. I'm proud to be an American, but I'm not too proud to admit we can be f***ed up...especially by law.

I stated that perhaps we are too lenient and maybe in some cases we are. I advised as to why we are lenient and since you decided to comment about a justice system you know little about, do not work in and are not trained on, I commented on your system. Your system allows minors to be on death row and later executed and little chance for rehabilitation.

Both my country and your country have problems in our respective criminal justice systems, things that could be fixed. I think in many cases minors can be rehabilitated and if so, its up to us to do this and help them and many times a child is a child and not an adult. And there are times a minor should be tried as an adult but I prefer my system, where we give a chance and do not allow a minor to be on death row and later executed.

I just think as an outsider, perhaps your thoughts should be how to fix your system instead of how to fix another countries system and point out the flaws in mine when yours has flaws that result in execution when that is not a possibility here.

, Canada
#18New Post! Jun 09, 2012 @ 01:35:33
@sTreetAngeL Said

Fiercely loyal you are!

Amen. To that.

I can state that in some cases, we are too lenient on minors but its better to me, to be too lenient than to allow someone to be executed when they committed a crime as a minor and could change and become productive members of society.

Our focus for our youth, the purpose of our YOA is to rehabilitate. Perhaps when the OP thinks its odd we want to give a second chance, we here find it odd that that state seems so willy nilly to fry people.
sTreetAngeL On January 24, 2022
root tedt ree

in a paradox,
#19New Post! Jun 09, 2012 @ 01:37:01

I knew you'd be coming back for me.
carelt1985 On June 25, 2016

Chesterfield, Missouri
#20New Post! Jun 09, 2012 @ 01:46:56
@DorkySupergirl Said

I stated that perhaps we are too lenient and maybe in some cases we are. I advised as to why we are lenient and since you decided to comment about a justice system you know little about, do not work in and are not trained on, I commented on your system. Your system allows minors to be on death row and later executed and little chance for rehabilitation.

Both my country and your country have problems in our respective criminal justice systems, things that could be fixed. I think in many cases minors can be rehabilitated and if so, its up to us to do this and help them and many times a child is a child and not an adult. And there are times a minor should be tried as an adult but I prefer my system, where we give a chance and do not allow a minor to be on death row and later executed.

I just think as an outsider, perhaps your thoughts should be how to fix your system instead of how to fix another countries system and point out the flaws in mine when yours has flaws that result in execution when that is not a possibility here.

You're entitled to your opinion as I am to mine. Personally, those girls should've been incarcerated for a least two decades.

Chesterfield, Missouri
#21New Post! Jun 09, 2012 @ 01:51:11
These people were violent to their families, for their own selfish reasons. Not to mention, the 12-year-old stabbed her little brother to death.

, Canada
#22New Post! Jun 09, 2012 @ 01:57:50
@sTreetAngeL Said

I knew you'd be coming back for me.

@carelt1985 Said

You're entitled to your opinion as I am to mine. Personally, those girls should've been incarcerated for a least two decades.

Yes, but your opinion is not an educated one on this particular topic and you seem to know very little about my country, its laws and our YOA. I am not talking issue with your opinion, your are entitled to one and I am really not trying to make it wrong but you have little knowledge and are basing your opinion on a few cases you saw on tv or read about. Would you want me to make assumptions about your country on a few bad stories I read or heard about and speak of your country on an issue I know little about and my opinion be negative?

Chesterfield, Missouri
#23New Post! Jun 09, 2012 @ 02:05:11
@DorkySupergirl Said

Yes, but your opinion is not an educated one on this particular topic and you seem to know very little about my country, its laws and our YOA. I am not talking issue with your opinion, your are entitled to one and I am really not trying to make it wrong but you have little knowledge and are basing your opinion on a few cases you saw on tv or read about. Would you want me to make assumptions about your country on a few bad stories I read or heard about and speak of your country on an issue I know little about and my opinion be negative?

Hey, say anything you want about whatever's going on with my country.

, Canada
#24New Post! Jun 09, 2012 @ 02:15:45
@carelt1985 Said

Hey, say anything you want about whatever's going on with my country.

But that is the thing, I really try hard not to make negative comments about another country when my own has flaws. My goal is more fixing what is in my own country and what is wrong with it than pointing out what I think is the flaw in another.

Your area Texas, I find is very, shoot first and ask later. Its very good ole boy state and very keen on executions. I am not saying that is right or wrong but that is not how it is here. Here it is very much trying to get those sentenced under YOA to rehabilitate and become productive members of society.

Some can't rehabilitate but many who do bad things at 15 can change and become valuable members of society and based on each case, might deserve a chance and deserve some help. Its not so much here never see the light of day but punish and while we punish, try to make them better. I prefer that.

Chesterfield, Missouri
#25New Post! Jun 09, 2012 @ 02:35:35
@DorkySupergirl Said

But that is the thing, I really try hard not to make negative comments about another country when my own has flaws. My goal is more fixing what is in my own country and what is wrong with it than pointing out what I think is the flaw in another.

Your area Texas, I find is very, shoot first and ask later. Its very good ole boy state and very keen on executions. I am not saying that is right or wrong but that is not how it is here. Here it is very much trying to get those sentenced under YOA to rehabilitate and become productive members of society.

Some can't rehabilitate but many who do bad things at 15 can change and become valuable members of society and based on each case, might deserve a chance and deserve some help. Its not so much here never see the light of day but punish and while we punish, try to make them better. I prefer that.

Note: I was only speaking my mind, and I'm not a Texan. I'm from Illinois. I'm in the Army; stationed in Fort Hood. Also, I'm not too blind to know the flaws in my country.
fitzyp On December 23, 2014

Auckland, New Zealand
#26New Post! Jun 09, 2012 @ 02:42:33
Depends what you believe the purpose of the criminal justice system is. I believe that it should be about minimising the crime and the harms associated with them. In this regard Canada is doing quite well with quite a low homicide rate.

, Canada
#27New Post! Jun 09, 2012 @ 02:46:27
@carelt1985 Said

Note: I was only speaking my mind, and I'm not a Texan. I'm from Illinois. I'm in the Army; stationed in Fort Hood. Also, I'm not too blind to know the flaws in my country.

I realize but the problem is that, and no offense, you know very little about the criminal justice system in Canada and our YOA and you are basing your opinion not on education, first hand knowledge or experience, but on what you saw on tv or read about and I find when one is not familiar with a topic, their opinion often changes once they are familiar with a topic.

I am not saying you can't have an opinion but I find your opinion is based on knowing very little for facts. I find it to be a very ill informed opinion.

I also think that its due to cultural difference. My country is much different than yours when it comes to punishment and our punishment for youth. I would not make your system wrong, its just different than mine is all so I do take some offense to your lack of knowledge about this topic and with that lack of knowledge coming to a conclusion Canadian legal system is wrong when it comes to our YOA.
Tar On April 28, 2014

San Antonio, Texas
#28New Post! Jun 09, 2012 @ 03:25:23
@carelt1985 Said

I read about these Canadian crime stories.

1. Two sisters from Toronto, Ontario drown their mother, in the bathtub, to received money after her death. They were imprisoned for 4 years.

2. A 12-year-old girl from Medicine Hat, Alberta plots a triple murder of her parents and 8-year-old little brother to be with her 23-year-old boyfriend. Now, the boyfriend is jailed for life, while the girl gets 10 years. She will be released, in 2016.

In my opinion, in the States, the young women would have been serving a lengthy prison sentence, if not life. I have no disrespect towards Canada...but...isn't the Canadian law too soft on young killers?

nah, just recruit the young'ns into the Black Ops section of the military and drop them behind enemy lines once they've been made more efficient at their natural skill. They were created in Gods image so let his visage be on full display although... they seem to have been made in the image of Hades or Ares
rosexthorn On July 30, 2022

Winnipeg, Canada
#29New Post! Jun 09, 2012 @ 15:48:58
@sTreetAngeL Said

Have they ever implemented weapons regulations for buses yet, due to this case?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2008/07/31/greyhound-transcanada.html

He's in an insane asylum and now is medicated and taking walks in the town under supervision which doesn't sit well with the people living there.

I don't know the in's and out's of the justice system in all of Canada but I will say that in my opinion every single country has a lot of work to do before they can actually state that they have a justice system .

We deal with situations and crimes as we deal with them, some not so great and some not so bad depending on which side of the fence you're sitting. If you're an offender without $$$$ good luck, if you have $$$ you have luck, if you're in the middle you just may be f***ed and that's not only in Canada.

As for the minors justice I venture to say that in most cases I think they most are not taken seriously enough except the ones to be made an example of, other than that I've seen many youth that have fallen through the cracks of our so called 'justice system'. Sad for them and sad for their ongoing victims. But again I reiterate, this is not only a Canadian problem it is affecting many other countries also.

In the end, we can only fight to change our justice system city by city and others should look to their own before they even think of judging ours. Thank You!

Chesterfield, Missouri
#30New Post! Jun 09, 2012 @ 16:17:07
@DorkySupergirl Said

I realize but the problem is that, and no offense, you know very little about the criminal justice system in Canada and our YOA and you are basing your opinion not on education, first hand knowledge or experience, but on what you saw on tv or read about and I find when one is not familiar with a topic, their opinion often changes once they are familiar with a topic.

I am not saying you can't have an opinion but I find your opinion is based on knowing very little for facts. I find it to be a very ill informed opinion.

I also think that its due to cultural difference. My country is much different than yours when it comes to punishment and our punishment for youth. I would not make your system wrong, its just different than mine is all so I do take some offense to your lack of knowledge about this topic and with that lack of knowledge coming to a conclusion Canadian legal system is wrong when it comes to our YOA.

If I study Canadian criminal law much deeper, would that be better?

Note: I don't dislike your country. I travel to your country.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs