The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Local:
United Kingdom

Is 17 years old too young to get married?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 · >>
EmilyJane On February 20, 2009

Bristol, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Feb 19, 2009 @ 18:03:06
Dear All,

I'm doing some research at work, and am in communication with a girl who is considering getting married, she is 17 years old and therefore needs her Parents consent.
It has been quite difficult as her parents are not as supportive as she'd like.
To me he sounds really great, he is very kind and appreciates her a lot and I think that they would be very happy together but it did get me thinking- is it too young?
Historically speaking women have been marrying at 17 and younger for centuries- so whats the problem when girls today get married that young?
Things have changed though, the sexual and cultural revolution of the 60's has seemed to release women from the obligation of getting married and starting a family young- but is that liberating- and should we shun girls for doing what is natural to them?

Any thoughts?
It would be great to hear from any other girls in this situation, as I am doing some research into this area for work.

Thanks,

Emily
Allyson On January 20, 2010

Deleted

, Michigan
#2New Post! Feb 19, 2009 @ 18:10:58
I myself think they should wait, Have fun enjoy yourself,
I dont think you realize at that age,that you do change as you mature..I think you make better choices to why you actually care for the person your with if your older..and chances of it being the right one is greater.
sassi On February 20, 2009

Deleted

Coolangatta, Australia
#3New Post! Feb 19, 2009 @ 18:11:17
I'm 19 and I couldn't even think of being tide down. Like the marriage is going last when the first kid drops in---if you have a responsibility to advise her correctly then do real stat reasearch on the matter---
aceuvclubs On August 22, 2020
You with the face!

Seattle, Washington
#4New Post! Feb 19, 2009 @ 18:12:17
I think they'd regret the hell out of it if they did it that young.
mell_loife18 On May 14, 2010

Dundee, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Feb 19, 2009 @ 18:15:38
tell her to get married in Scotland you dont need anyones consent here.
WildChild On February 16, 2013
Perv Magnet

Southern Middle, Tennessee
#6New Post! Feb 19, 2009 @ 18:20:03
I would'nt say it was wrong to get married at that age. I may use the words "not idea" but in all reality the girl will be 18 in a few months and can do what she wants at that time.

Everyone matures at different rates so it's hard to make a call on this without knowing the person. Again Ideally I think it's a little young and the reason for that is I got married at that age. My parents of course signed for me to get married . My marriage ended but that's not to say it was just because of our age there were other factors that played a big part in the divorce.
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Feb 19, 2009 @ 18:20:38
I think each to their own- if someone feels emotionally mature enough to commit to someone for potentially the rest of their lives then it's up to them. As the OP said, in previous centuries women used to get married at 14, though obviously this was not always their own choice. In this day and age I don't think marriage means a great deal anyway, so if they really feel ready to handle the financial and emotional strains of marriage then it should be their choice.

Personally though, I couldn't imagine getting married at 17, the thought of it when I'm older is terrifying enough, I don't think I could handle it.
EmilyJane On February 20, 2009

Bristol, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Feb 19, 2009 @ 18:21:46
Thanks for all your comments- in response to giving her statistics to read- I doubt that will effect her decision- I think she is too in love to care about how many marriages break up when you marry young.
It would be interesting to know if any of your friends have got married young, and how they have dealt with it.
This is only ground research for a book,

many thanks,

Emily
karljkampovsky On May 13, 2009

Deleted

undisclosed location,
#9New Post! Feb 19, 2009 @ 18:29:48
NO ONE SHOULD MARRY BEFORE THEY ARE 25,THEN EVEN MEN MAY NOT BE MATURE ENOUGH!
sassi On February 20, 2009

Deleted

Coolangatta, Australia
#10New Post! Feb 19, 2009 @ 18:30:21
@EmilyJane Said

Thanks for all your comments- in response to giving her statistics to read- I doubt that will effect her decision- I think she is too in love to care about how many marriages break up when you marry young.
It would be interesting to know if any of your friends have got married young, and how they have dealt with it.
This is only ground research for a book,

many thanks,

Emily

when the book is published do we get any royalties from it.
ShannonGB On March 12, 2009

#11New Post! Feb 19, 2009 @ 19:17:42
Can't say. I think it's too young but I know of some couples who got married that early and are still together now. Then again a lot of people who get married really early end up in divorce.

It really depends on the maturity level of the person. 17 isn't that far off from 18, but for me I'd say 24 is the best marrying age.
hope On March 17, 2015

haifa, Israel
#12New Post! Feb 19, 2009 @ 19:25:58
@EmilyJane Said

Dear All,

I'm doing some research at work, and am in communication with a girl who is considering getting married, she is 17 years old and therefore needs her Parents consent.
It has been quite difficult as her parents are not as supportive as she'd like.
To me he sounds really great, he is very kind and appreciates her a lot and I think that they would be very happy together but it did get me thinking- is it too young?
Historically speaking women have been marrying at 17 and younger for centuries- so whats the problem when girls today get married that young?
Things have changed though, the sexual and cultural revolution of the 60's has seemed to release women from the obligation of getting married and starting a family young- but is that liberating- and should we shun girls for doing what is natural to them?

Any thoughts?
It would be great to hear from any other girls in this situation, as I am doing some research into this area for work.

Thanks,

Emily

i personaly diagree with getting married in young age. marriage is a big step , includes a lot of responsibilities. it isn't journey or an experience.
Audi On February 23, 2009

, United Kingdom
#13New Post! Feb 19, 2009 @ 19:59:18
They'll both regret it in years to come. 17 is far too young to settle down, they haven't lived yet! If they really do love each other and want to be together for the rest of their lives they will still want to marry in 10 years time when they are more mature and have lived a little, if they are not together in 10 years time then that'll prove that getting married so young wouldn't have worked!

That's my opinion!
sarky On March 11, 2011

london, United Kingdom
#14New Post! Feb 19, 2009 @ 21:06:06
That would depend on the maturity of the 17 yr old.
I got married at 16 and it was fine...but due to my husband dying 3 yrs later, i cannot say if it would have lasted forever. Then again many adults who marry dont even manage 3 yrs, so its down to the individual concerned. People mature at different times some earlier/later than others.
I didnt have my parents consent but as i had my own passport at 16 i fled abroad and done it, naughty yes but a mistake no! My daughter has 2 degrees and is doing well.
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#15New Post! Feb 19, 2009 @ 21:09:46
Yeah, it is too young IMO. I married at 19 and i know i was too young and before anyone says you cant compare your own experience and think everyone will end up the same, the human personality does not stop forming until we are in our early 20's, so what we like and want before then will be different to what we want later on.

Also people will say that couples have met at 13 or 14 years old and stayed together, i say that is extremely rare these days but kudos to them for finding a partner they can evolve with.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs