The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Politics

Iraqi prisoner mistreatment, why blame US.

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 ...6 7 8 · >>
jeoin On November 12, 2004

#1New Post! Apr 30, 2004 @ 22:40:31
Whos fault do you think this is? Is it just bad apples in our soldiers ranks?
Does the president have any responsibility for this? How has it affected the anti-american sentiment? In this case I mean Anti-American sentiment in a broader sense than the fundamentalist groups.

Is a government ever responsible for the actions of its military?
deadjim On December 23, 2010

Little Rock, Arkansas
#2New Post! May 01, 2004 @ 01:42:57
We should of course punish those who are administering torture/cruel and unusual punishment in violation of the Geneva Accord. Being from the US, I can't help but to say that it's not the US's fault, but the same thing were to happen to another country, which has and the crimes were far worse, we as a government and media outlet immediately attack their government.

as a whole, it does affect people's views on our government. i see people all the time who say "why does it matter how THEY think of us," well, when we think bad of a country we usually end up plotting against them.
The pentagon has many, many, many plans in case of disaster. among these plans are war-plans for countries we probably don't even have much to do with.
I'm sure they're working on warplans with Germany in France right now because of their anti-war stance.
panetti On February 17, 2005

Little Rock, Arkansas
#3New Post! May 01, 2004 @ 02:36:04
I more or less agree with that. I hadn't heard of this mistreatment thing though. Then again, I haven't been watching much TV lately...

Little Rock, Arkansas
#4New Post! May 01, 2004 @ 08:09:14
I never watch tv either. I watch star trek when it's on, south park, um, pretty much comedy central. I also occasionally watch the new, but more often than not, I get my news off the internet. I hate how the news is so filtered here.. some news sites are actually a conglomeration of news sites. kinda hard to be bias when there are about 20 other viewpoints at all times around you.

you can type in a google search, "us troops violation geneva"
or something similar.

here's a link if you don't feel like searching.
https://www.military.com/NewsContent/0,13319,FL_abuse_043004,00.html

#5New Post! May 01, 2004 @ 16:39:56
this issue is serious, and many muslim nations are really saying things like the liberators are worse than the dictator. Its a bad thing, this isn't just the extremist groups.

Little Rock, Arkansas
#6New Post! May 01, 2004 @ 17:12:37
it is pretty bad man. no wonder we have such a bad name everywhere. we have always f***ed with prisoners like that, that much is obvious.

as far as iraq goes, what we're doing there is pretty close to what we did in Germany and Japan after WWII. There were rebels in germany just like in iraq. we had to have an occupation there for several years. same for japan.

look at japan now! their country has skyrocketed. they went from being known for their cheapness to be nothing but quality.
we also did this with south korea.

it's also funny how we keep military bases there for years after the wars are finished.

i think it's kinda fishy, if you ask me. why establish military bases ALL over the world if you don't have some long term plan to use them?
eh,... i guess that belongs in another thread.

i'm gonna go eat some brunch
volkov On June 08, 2005

Little Rock, Arkansas
#7New Post! May 02, 2004 @ 01:02:29
I hope we didn't hurt the poor prisoners feelings...Personally it doesn't bother me...Theydeserve it anyway...Oops...I guess that is me being "politically incorrect"...oh well, its how I feel..I know it sounds harsh, doesn't it?...

--------------------------

Yes, it was a stupid mistake...No, the Government should not be blamed for it at ALL...It was a few soldiers who pushed a joke too far....let'g get real here....

Quote:
it is pretty bad man. no wonder we have such a bad name everywhere. we have always f***ed with prisoners like that, that much is obvious.

What are you talking about? Please do tell friend...
volkov On June 08, 2005

Little Rock, Arkansas
#9New Post! May 02, 2004 @ 14:40:14
To be honest, when I commented on this, the news had not reached me of the seriousness of what had happened to these prisoners...

Of course, if sodomizing and urinating on prisoners took place, well that is ridiculous and they should be punished accordingly...I apologizer for down playing that matter...

I was rather referring to initial reports that did not present this information...

However, I cannot see, as some news sources quote people as saying, how this can be comparedt to Sadaam's treatment....

It is amazing sometimes how far people, in this case American soldiers, can push thing, whether they be jokes (as I believe they began to be) or something more serious...
These soldiers should be repremanded, and yes, harshly, I agree...

Again, I do apologize for my initial statements...

#10New Post! May 02, 2004 @ 17:19:36
Papers and news media over there are really putting a bad spin on this.
They are comparing bush to saddam. I am not. I worry that there is the vast safety net that removes responsibility from the ranks. Of course the f*** up in the picture lacks basic human rights skills. So it is his fault. but he is doing it for our country. That is why we have a bad name.
Its not anti-american sentiment, its common-decency. Kinda the same way alot of people view muslims in general, based on the actions of the extremists.

Little Rock, Arkansas
#11New Post! May 02, 2004 @ 23:22:30
https://www.aljazeera.com/fn218.asp

here is a good news site located in iraq. it's a fairly well-rounded news source, though a lot is bias toward arabs. though this is a given.
seija On November 20, 2004

Little Rock, Arkansas
#12New Post! May 03, 2004 @ 03:58:04
Quote:

I was rather referring to initial reports that did not present this information...

Yeah... I can understand that, I actually should have really assumed that you had merely heard the initial reports. I apologize for not giving you the benefit of the doubt.

Quote:
However, I cannot see, as some news sources quote people as saying, how this can be comparedt to Sadaam's treatment....

I whole heartedly agree with this. The main difference is, even if the acts themselves came close to the hideous things Saddam used to have carried out (which they really do not), these acts were committed by renegade soldiers and not government decree, and presumably these soldiers will be punished accordingly.

The United States is held to a much higher standard. Whether or not these dim witted w**kers realized it, their actions are going to have very ill consequences in Iraqi/US peace.
panetti On February 17, 2005

Little Rock, Arkansas
#13New Post! May 03, 2004 @ 08:09:21
Yeah. That sucks.
nivago On December 14, 2004

#14New Post! May 03, 2004 @ 13:47:46
this dude has a point: https://www.somethingawful.com/articles.php?a=2126
volkov On June 08, 2005

Little Rock, Arkansas
#15New Post! May 04, 2004 @ 00:01:09

hmmm...guessed I missed it...
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>