Politics

Iran?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
justvr On February 20, 2006

, Wallis and Futuna
#1New Post! Dec 15, 2005 @ 03:34:35
https://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,17575459-401,00.html

Check this out?? I have not heard anything bad about Iran for ages, except the usual
internal stuff to do with how they organize their own country.

Why is President Bush talking up Iran as a threat right now?

In my country this type of comment is usually to divert media attention from something a
politician would prefer not be reported too widely.

Is anything happening at home that the heat needs to be diverted from right now?

How do you see Iran, and do you see it as a threat to regional peace?

Iran a real threat, says Bush
From correspondents in Washington
December 15, 2005

US President George W. Bush has called Iran "a real threat", repeated his charge from 2002
that it was part of an "axis of evil", and urged Tehran to prove it does not seek nuclear
weapons.

Washington accuses Tehran of using a civilian nuclear program to hide a quest for atomic
weapons, and has charged that Iran is a destabilising force in Iraq.

Iran has denied it seeks nuclear arms.

"I called it (Iran) part of the 'axis of evil' for a reason," Mr Bush said in an interview with
Fox News.

"It's a real threat."

The US President first lumped Iran with North Korea and Saddam Hussein's Iraq in an "axis
of evil" during his 2002 State of the Union speech to the US Congress.

His latest comments came amid an escalating war of words with Tehran, whose hardline
President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has stoked outrage in the West by calling Israel a
"tumour" in the Middle East and saying that the Holocaust was a myth.

Asked how he would deal with Iran, Mr Bush replied: "We continue to work the diplomatic
front."

"I'm concerned about theocracy that has got little transparency, a country whose president
has declared the destruction of Israel as part of their foreign policy, and a country that will
not listen to the demands of the free world to get rid of its ambitions to have a nuclear
weapon," Mr Bush said.

Asked whether he had a message for authorities in Tehran, he said: "I would hope they'd
be wise enough to begin to listen to the people and allow the people to participate in their
government."
reiko On March 27, 2006

Deleted

New York, New York
#2New Post! Dec 15, 2005 @ 03:37:13
Why trust a nation like Iran with anything nuclear? Lately the Iranian presiden has been talking about destroying Israel. Also Bush was talking about Iran is nothing new he has been for years now.
justvr On February 20, 2006

, Wallis and Futuna
#3New Post! Dec 15, 2005 @ 04:05:20
@reiko Said
Why trust a nation like Iran with anything nuclear? Lately the Iranian presiden
has been talking about destroying Israel. Also Bush was talking about Iran is nothing new he
has been for years now.

I agree about the nuclear weapon. We would all be better off without them, but since that is
not going to happen, the responsible nations are going to have to hang onto theirs to make
sure the irresponsible nations don't misuse theirs. Sad, but a fact.

Back to Iran. So President Bush speaks of Iran often. Is it the case then that this news story
is nothing unusual, just more of the usual political rhetoric? Or is it just a normal part of the
US running its foreign policy agenda. Or is it an attempt to divert attention from something
going on at home? Or something else?

It just seemed an odd thing to be talking up Iran coming up to Christmas and I was
wondering if there is a reason?
reiko On March 27, 2006

Deleted

New York, New York
#4New Post! Dec 15, 2005 @ 05:09:02
Bush spoke of Iran right after 911. It comes up because Iran is looking for nuclear power. It's an issue now because of what the Iranian president has been saying about Israel lately.
osm On March 18, 2016
Kiwi!

Wellington, New Zealand
#5New Post! Dec 15, 2005 @ 20:22:15
Iran doesn't have oil! lol yeah, the country could fall back into military rule and the nuclear material could fall into the wrong hands so yeah, America should be scared if Iran gets their hands on nuclear material. Who would sell it to them? Russia?
cinnamin On April 18, 2008

houston, Texas
#6New Post! Dec 16, 2005 @ 02:41:47
https://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,430649,00.html

I think that there is reason for concern.
firebringer On December 26, 2005

Calgary, Canada
#7New Post! Dec 16, 2005 @ 03:29:21
I wouldn't believe Bush about anything - "A real threat" is what he called Iraq - but - I've seen in the International news that the head man in Iraq made a rather inflammatory speach which included a statement that Isreal should be wiped from the map - might be the part of the reason.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs