Investigators

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
treetopflyer On March 19, 2008

Deleted

Emerald City,
#1New Post! Jan 31, 2008 @ 19:00:37
MLB is sending investigators into the hometowns of umpires and they are asking their freinds, etc... if these umpires are members of the KKK.

Even J.Jackson has chastised MLB over KKK questions.

What is MLB looking for? Why now? What is MLB doing looking under these rocks!
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Jan 31, 2008 @ 19:06:09
what the bloody hell?
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#3New Post! Jan 31, 2008 @ 19:12:01
MLB isn't going around investigating about the KKK specifically.

The KKK questions are just one part of an expanded background checking procedure. MLB has always done pretty serious background checks on officials.
darklife144 On February 09, 2013

Fountain Inn, South Carolina
#4New Post! Jan 31, 2008 @ 19:13:25
Who knows what MlB wants

Deleted

Emerald City,
#5New Post! Jan 31, 2008 @ 19:17:33
https://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7739258/Jackson-chastises-MLB-over-KKK-questions
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Jan 31, 2008 @ 19:18:07
well i would want to know if i was a player in a major sports league and if i was a black woman if any officials held any prejudices that way, umpires must be completely impartial.
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#7New Post! Jan 31, 2008 @ 19:19:47
"Baseball stepped up background checks last August, after it became public that the FBI was investigating NBA referee Tim Donaghy for betting on games."

"We did not anticipate that they would approach neighbors posing as a close colleague and friend of the umpire's and asking them questions such as: Do you know if umpire 'X' is a member of the Ku Klux Klan? Does he grow marijuana plants? Does he beat his wife? Have you seen the police at his home? Does he throw wild parties?" McMorris said

It's not just "KKK." They're conducting checks to see if the umpires are involved in anything untoward or illegal.

There was a huge scandal last year about an NBA referee 'fixing' game scores and betting on games. MLB really doesn't need another controversy so they're trying to cover their bases (ha ha).

Deleted

Emerald City,
#8New Post! Jan 31, 2008 @ 19:20:34
@treebee Said
well i would want to know if i was a player in a major sports league and if i was a black woman if any officials held any prejudices that way, umpires must be completely impartial.

Okay, shouldn't the black umps be asked if they are members of the any hate groups?
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#9New Post! Jan 31, 2008 @ 19:20:57
@treetopflyer Said
Okay, shouldn't the black umps be asked if they are members of the any hate groups?

No doubt they are. Look at the list of questions one person got asked.
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#10New Post! Jan 31, 2008 @ 19:21:09
@treetopflyer Said

sure why not?
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Jan 31, 2008 @ 19:22:05
@jonnythan Said
"Baseball stepped up background checks last August, after it became public that the FBI was investigating NBA referee Tim Donaghy for betting on games."

"We did not anticipate that they would approach neighbors posing as a close colleague and friend of the umpire's and asking them questions such as: Do you know if umpire 'X' is a member of the Ku Klux Klan? Does he grow marijuana plants? Does he beat his wife? Have you seen the police at his home? Does he throw wild parties?" McMorris said

It's not just "KKK." They're conducting checks to see if the umpires are involved in anything untoward or illegal.

There was a huge scandal last year about an NBA referee 'fixing' game scores and betting on games. MLB really doesn't need another controversy so they're trying to cover their bases (ha ha).

LOL like trying to get into the USA, we are asked "are you a member of a terrorist organisation?"

I guess the question has to be asked so we cant later say "well nobody asked me"
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#12New Post! Jan 31, 2008 @ 19:23:10
@treebee Said
LOL like trying to get into the USA, we are asked "are you a member of a terrorist organisation?"

I guess the question has to be asked so we cant later say "well nobody asked me"

Yes.

They are asking neighbors and associates, though, not the umpires themselves. So that gets them a *little* more credit for the obvious questions

Deleted

Emerald City,
#13New Post! Jan 31, 2008 @ 19:26:29
World Umpires Association president John Hirschbeck said in a telephone interview Wednesday.

"You get someone from security, shows his credentials and starts asking these kind of questions, and right away what's the neighbor going to think other than the umpire is in trouble, he's done something wrong and he's going to lose his job."
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#14New Post! Jan 31, 2008 @ 19:30:01
Valid concern. The obvious solution (which I'm sure the background checkers have implemented) is to make the situation clear before you start asking questions.

"Hello, ma'am. As part of a league-wide increase in umpire background checks, we'd like to ask you some questions about Josh Billings. Do you have a minute?"

Deleted

Emerald City,
#15New Post! Jan 31, 2008 @ 19:50:53
Why are they now doing background checks, expanded background checks on current employees. Established umps, if you will!

I remember back in Sept./Aug.07, there was an article in Time Magazine addressing this issue or one like it. I just can't find it.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs