Religion & Philosophy

Intolerance

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#1New Post! Mar 21, 2019 @ 16:21:32
Is it acceptable to be intolerant of those who are intolerant?

That is...

Assuming that there are people who are intolerant of others in terms of or based on prejudice, racism, religion extremism, political extremism, or anyone of the many forms of bigotry... (talking about the extremes here, not the idea that "we all have some level of prejudice" )...

Is it acceptable to be intolerant of those people?

If "no", why not?

If "yes", are there or should there be limits to this sort of intolerance?
Leon On December 21, 2023

San Diego, California
#2New Post! Mar 21, 2019 @ 16:29:36
@chaski Said

That is...

Assuming that there are people who are intolerant of others in terms of or based on prejudice, racism, religion extremism, political extremism, or anyone of the many forms of bigotry... (talking about the extremes here not the idea that "we all have some level of prejudice" )

>>> Is it acceptable to be intolerant of those people?

It is if the intolerance of those individuals doesn’t actually impede on the rights and freedoms of those they are intolerant towards.

If my bedraggled old grandpa sat in his couch during the evening news and complained at how gays are ruining America that’s his right. I can try and change his mind, but chances are it won’t. And at the end of the day he is still my grandpa and we still spend time together. He isn’t proactively doing anything to impede on gays in terms of what they do anyways.

But if Kim Davis refuses to issue Kentucky marriage licenses to gay couples when it is her elected job to do so, then it shouldn’t be tolerated and should be dealt with accordingly.
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#3New Post! Mar 21, 2019 @ 16:46:56
What he said

Basically, it depends on how your intolerance manifests itself.
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#4New Post! Mar 21, 2019 @ 16:48:47
There's only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#5New Post! Mar 21, 2019 @ 17:04:34
@Leon Said

If my bedraggled old grandpa sat in his couch during the evening news and complained at how gays are ruining America that’s his right. I can try and change his mind, but chances are it won’t. And at the end of the day he is still my grandpa and we still spend time together. He isn’t proactively doing anything to impede on gays in terms of what they do anyways.

Is that really intolerance though? I don't see tolerance as meaning accept or like. Tolerance to me means to allow something unimpeded. A racist white man living in a neighborhood next to a black family who doesn't harass or otherwise mistreat anyone in that family is actually being tolerant. I might disagree with him philosophically on race, but I agree with him minding his own business and living peacefully next to them despite his racism.

I dunno, maybe I'm overthinking.
Erimitus On July 01, 2021

The mind of God, Antarctica
#6New Post! Mar 21, 2019 @ 17:25:03
@Eaglebauer Said

There's only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.

chuckle
Electric_Banana On February 05, 2024

, New Zealand
#7New Post! Mar 21, 2019 @ 17:36:05
I've often been told that I am judgemental of the judgemental and if the whole world, suddenly, began overlooking others' grime for their gleen that I would be out of a job.
Leon On December 21, 2023

San Diego, California
#8New Post! Mar 21, 2019 @ 17:56:31
@Eaglebauer Said

Is that really intolerance though? I don't see tolerance as meaning accept or like. Tolerance to me means to allow something unimpeded. A racist white man living in a neighborhood next to a black family who doesn't harass or otherwise mistreat anyone in that family is actually being tolerant. I might disagree with him philosophically on race, but I agree with him minding his own business and living peacefully next to them despite his racism.

I dunno, maybe I'm overthinking.

I think you may be right here. Good point indeed.
GreatestIam2 On January 06, 2023

Ottawa, Canada
#9New Post! May 18, 2019 @ 13:34:30
@chaski Said

That is...

Assuming that there are people who are intolerant of others in terms of or based on prejudice, racism, religion extremism, political extremism, or anyone of the many forms of bigotry... (talking about the extremes here, not the idea that "we all have some level of prejudice" )...

Is it acceptable to be intolerant of those people?

If "no", why not?

If "yes", are there or should there be limits to this sort of intolerance?

Most ideologies have a reciprocity rule of some type.

Do unto others --- give what you get, --- keeps the playing field even and reciprocity is fair play.

If you turn the other cheek, then you reward the other for his intolerance and we should not reward evil.

As an aside, you might know that turning the other cheek is really an insult to the slapper. Most people do not know that and so I am using it the pacifist way that most understand it above.

Regards
DL
Erimitus On July 01, 2021

The mind of God, Antarctica
#10New Post! May 19, 2019 @ 12:19:36
Most of us, it seems to me, fall between tolerance and intolerance depending on circumstances.
GreatestIam2 On January 06, 2023

Ottawa, Canada
#11New Post! May 19, 2019 @ 20:24:15
@Erimitus Said

Most of us, it seems to me, fall between tolerance and intolerance depending on circumstances.

Based on reciprocity. Right?

Regards
DL
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#12New Post! May 19, 2019 @ 20:56:57
@Erimitus Said

And half of us score below average on standardized tests.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs