Forums: Random:
Rants & Raves

Interstate Drivers

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2
Komentenmelodie On May 25, 2018

#1New Post! May 14, 2018 @ 02:45:56
Most days I travel on an interstate (the same one) and every day I see what I would call dreadful driving. Depending on the number of lanes (either 2 or 3) I see cars swapping all over the lanes trying to get ahead of other cars in all sorts of weathers even in the dark/rain. Today I took my Benz out (which does not go out in the dark or the rain) & there were two vehicles driving along in the left hand lane (whilst there was no traffic in the other lanes). now my Benz is a bright shade of red why would these drivers "hog" the left lane when they should quite clearly move over to the right??? The left lane is only for overtaking not cruising in!!! Kinda makes me wonder just how a capable driver they are being completely unaware of what is behind them?? I undertook them & gave them the benefit of my wonderful stunning looks as I passed (they then funnily enough both decided to get into the middle lane!!!)
SimplyxComplicated On June 28, 2023

Fort Worth, Texas
#2New Post! May 14, 2018 @ 02:55:13
My fiancé b****es about this all the time. He is one of those people who will weave in and out of traffic if you're not going as fast as he wants. Drives me up the wall. However, he doesn't intentionally hang out in the left lane.

#3New Post! May 14, 2018 @ 03:00:38
When I was travelling to work I used to see a semi complete with attached trailer at least once a week off down the bank on the side of the road. Unfortunately bad driving can encourage others to do bad things because of what the others are doing or not doing! On a 2 lane interstate one semi might be as slow as molasses when overtaking another semi. That also does not make for a very health driving environment.
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#4New Post! May 15, 2018 @ 02:57:35
Not all states have a left is for passing only rule. I’ll stay left to not be changing lanes a lot. Though I do always move right if someone is coming up faster behind me.

I do tend to not drive in the left as much on road trips where I’m not certain if the traffic laws. I’m also used to driving at 75ish which sucks balls in some states. Missouri, I’m looking at you.
cole On October 22, 2023

Stirling, United Kingdom
#5New Post! May 15, 2018 @ 08:45:12
I remember the first time being in L.A and on the trip from the airport to my in laws house we had to go on the i5 I think it was and was terrified by the driving. No lane discipline at all. The cars were weaving in and out, undertaking, overtaking. It was an absolute s*** show of god awful driving. Honking, shouting, cursing, finger gestures seemed to be common. I was asked if I fancied driving. I politely declined.

#6New Post! May 16, 2018 @ 00:23:04
I was out today on an interstate & there was a 'bowtie" in the left lane would not move out of the way & cruised for miles in the aforesaid lane for miles even though there was virtually no traffic in any of the three lanes!! if people did move over surely it would cause less bad driving incidents but one thing does not excuse another!!
psycoskunk On December 24, 2020
Funky-Footed Skunk

A fort made of stinky socks, C
#7New Post! May 16, 2018 @ 00:32:15
This is why I like the Highways in Canada. Nowhere near as many cars swerving around, and the roadways don't twist and spiral around each other. Just make your exit and keep going. Wanna go across Canada? Trans-Canada. No need to remember 4 or 5 different routes just to get to work.
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#8New Post! May 16, 2018 @ 01:11:08
on the way to work there is a two-lane section that always slows down, then speeds up, one or the other - and people try to jump into the faster lane here and there.

Over a number of weeks I stayed in one lane and counted how many cars I passed vs how many passed me for a particular section of highway (we're jammed going between 5 and 20 mph)

Overall, it was pretty much break even over any few days, and not very significant if there was a "lean" to one lane or the other.

NE, Ohio
#9New Post! May 16, 2018 @ 01:16:23
@Komentenmelodie Said
On a 2 lane interstate one semi might be as slow as molasses when overtaking another semi. That also does not make for a very health driving environment.

On the way home is a long uphill grade. Trucks often are in the RH lane with flashers on going slow, and then the occasional "not-quite-so-slow" truck tries to pass....

Once the truck completes the pass, everybody is racing like a bat out of hell.
The Queen of Random

Administrator

#10New Post! May 16, 2018 @ 04:20:06
@mrmhead Said

On the way home is a long uphill grade. Trucks often are in the RH lane with flashers on going slow, and then the occasional "not-quite-so-slow" truck tries to pass....

Once the truck completes the pass, everybody is racing like a bat out of hell.

We have a hill (mountain) that is bad like that, From ABQ to Santa Fe In a car, (good one, not a clunker*) if you aren’t going 85-90 at the bottom of the lead up hill, no way in hell will you be going 60-65 at the top of La Bajada hill. Semi trucks.- no f***ing way. they added one or two “extra” right hand lanes to accommodate slower traffic.

*I don’t really mean to trash people’s cars it’s just harder in older vehicles, even if they drive perfectly fine on flatter or less steep roads.

Coming down the hill, is quite the drive too. I’m not a particular fan of making the Santa Fe drive often, but there were a few semesters I did it once a week.

So of course what did I do when Floydie came to visit... drive her up to Taos (which is even higher and a little further north) and scare the crap out her lol... and that was before we stopped at that little town that was all creepy in a “the hills have eyes” sort of way.
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#11New Post! May 16, 2018 @ 14:52:55
If the highway has two lanes: I get in the left, if possible put my cruise control on 5 mph above the speed limit, and go. If someone comes up behind me, I move over as soon as safely possible. If someone comes up behind me and starts to tailgate me I slow down to the same speed as the slowest car in the right lane and maintain that speed so the tailgater is stuck. If tailgater backs off, I move over when it is safe and let the nitwit pass.

If the highway has three of more lanes: I get in the middle lane, if possible set my cruise control on 5 mph above the speed limit and go. If someone comes up behind me, I mostly ignore them as they should get in the passing lane(s) to my left and pass me if they want to. If they don't, that is their problem. If they want to tailgate me, I slow down until they stop tailgating me.

There are occasions when I drive more than 5 mph above the speed limit... when essentially all traffic is going faster. Under such occasions, it is safer to drive with the flow of traffic than pay strict attention to the speed limit.

Rush hour traffic can change some of that , obviously.

My pet peeves: Tailgaters, people passing on the right (which is dangerous and stupid), people who don't know how to merge onto a highway (i.e. drive too slow when entering a highway), and people who won't allow others to merge onto the highway.

@psycoskunk Said

This is why I like the Highways in Canada.

I've only driven in Canada a few times, but have found Canadians to be some of the most courteous drivers in the world... and I have driven all over the world (in many countries of Europe, Central & South America, Middle East, Asia, etc.)

NE, Ohio
#12New Post! May 16, 2018 @ 15:19:18
What pisses me off is when a fair number of us recognize the slow truck ahead in the right lane, and we move to the left to pass in an orderly fashion and then some a****** thinks he's too good to wait in line and goes zipping up the right lane to cut in front.
That's when I'll tailgate or play the passive-aggressive and pin him behind the truck or a slower car - letting the car behind me catch up to close the gap.

#13New Post! May 16, 2018 @ 16:31:08
I live in a small town where there is a railroad crossing. Semi's are not supposed to go over it because the trailers ground out on the tracks, yet its a pretty regular occurrence that they still get stuck even though there are signs telling them not to cross there!!
psycoskunk On December 24, 2020
Funky-Footed Skunk

A fort made of stinky socks, C
#14New Post! May 17, 2018 @ 03:02:23
@chaski Said
I've only driven in Canada a few times, but have found Canadians to be some of the most courteous drivers in the world... and I have driven all over the world (in many countries of Europe, Central & South America, Middle East, Asia, etc.)

Not in Vancouver. It's amazing how some people have licenses.
The Queen of Random

Administrator

#15New Post! May 17, 2018 @ 04:24:53
@chaski Said

If the highway has two lanes: I get in the left, if possible put my cruise control on 5 mph above the speed limit, and go. If someone comes up behind me, I move over as soon as safely possible. If someone comes up behind me and starts to tailgate me I slow down to the same speed as the slowest car in the right lane and maintain that speed so the tailgater is stuck. If tailgater backs off, I move over when it is safe and let the nitwit pass.

If the highway has three of more lanes: I get in the middle lane, if possible set my cruise control on 5 mph above the speed limit and go. If someone comes up behind me, I mostly ignore them as they should get in the passing lane(s) to my left and pass me if they want to. If they don't, that is their problem. If they want to tailgate me, I slow down until they stop tailgating me.

There are occasions when I drive more than 5 mph above the speed limit... when essentially all traffic is going faster. Under such occasions, it is safer to drive with the flow of traffic than pay strict attention to the speed limit.

Rush hour traffic can change some of that , obviously.

My pet peeves: Tailgaters, people passing on the right (which is dangerous and stupid), people who don't know how to merge onto a highway (i.e. drive too slow when entering a highway), and people who won't allow others to merge onto the highway.

Lol. I drive similarly except I don’t use cruise control.
And since I live in the land of orange barrels... add to pet peeves on merging, people who can’t or won’t f***ing zipper merge. Which combines my hate for tailgating and bad merging.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs