Interesting New Theory I Learnt About Alexanders Army

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
roBingoodfElLOW On January 06, 2010
Baldylocks

Deleted

Over yonder, Tajikistan
#1New Post! Sep 27, 2009 @ 18:34:03
From the various books i had read about Alexander the Great, the sarissa (a long pike) had always been portreyed as the main weapon of his infantry. I always thought it was the battle winner, however in a recent book ive been reading the author makes the point that the Phalanx was and extremely cumbersome and inflexible unit, thats main use was in fact routing the opposition after they had broke. He goes on to say that Alexander in fact ditched the weapon before he invaded india.
Id never really thought about it before but i supose he could be right, though hes the first person whos book id read that made this point.

Any views welcome.
WASH On June 04, 2012

LINCOLN, California
#2New Post! Sep 27, 2009 @ 19:03:28
@robinGOOdfellow Said

From the various books i had read about Alexander the Great, the sarissa (a long pike) had always been portreyed as the main weapon of his infantry. I always thought it was the battle winner, however in a recent book ive been reading the author makes the point that the Phalanx was and extremely cumbersome and inflexible unit, thats main use was in fact routing the opposition after they had broke. He goes on to say that Alexander in fact ditched the weapon before he invaded india.
Id never really thought about it before but i supose he could be right, though hes the first person whos book id read that made this point.

Any views welcome.

Depends on the oposition. If it is horse --the pike.
The Roman force on foot Phalanx keeps the defenders with weapons pointed outin all directions. Soldiers inside the Phalanx replace those fallen. The formation can defend against a larger attacking foot force.
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#3New Post! Sep 27, 2009 @ 19:07:24
I have always read that his cavalry, was one of his biggest tactical assets (I think he actually had light and heavy cavalry)...this was the key to his defeat of Darius.
Baldylocks

Deleted

Over yonder, Tajikistan
#4New Post! Sep 27, 2009 @ 19:08:00
@WASH Said

Depends on the oposition. If it is horse --the pike.
The Roman force on foot Phalanx keeps the defenders with weapons pointed outin all directions. Soldiers inside the Phalanx replace those fallen. The formation can defend against a larger attacking foot force.

Yeah but because of the sheer length of the sarissa (18Ft), they were not anywhere near as agile as the romans. Though they were extremely well drilled and manouverable for what they were.
Baldylocks

Deleted

Over yonder, Tajikistan
#5New Post! Sep 27, 2009 @ 19:09:37
@chaski Said

I have always read that his cavalry, was one of his biggest tactical assets (I think he actually had light and heavy cavalry)...this was the key to his defeat of Darius.

His companion cavalry was his main unit, i'm refering to infantry.

The cavalry were f***ing awsome.
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#6New Post! Sep 27, 2009 @ 19:10:52
My bad...you did write infantry.
ultra On February 13, 2010

bermondsey, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Oct 07, 2009 @ 16:09:54
the phalanx was battle winners, they served to hold the enemy in place (the enemy on engaging would be trying to get thorough the maze of spears and some clever soldiers would try and get around it) while the cavalry maneouvered, destroyed the enemy calvalry, and then hit the enemy commander and infrantry force from the rear usuallly causing total panic and a total rout. without the defensive capabilitys of the sarissa and phalanx formation, this could not be done becuse the enemy elite infranty would have torn the fairly weaker greek infrantry apart before the cavalry could become effective.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs