Philosophy

Intelligence

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 4 · >>
Erimitus On July 01, 2021

The mind of God, Antarctica
#1New Post! Aug 26, 2010 @ 21:09:32
Intelligence is not just some fancy store bought book learning.

Being intelligent (i.e., having the ability to, understand, reason, think abstractly, and learn) is different from being "smart" (having the ability to adapt to the environment and survive). A person may be intelligent yet not be smart. A person may be smart yet not be intelligent.

What do you think?

#2New Post! Sep 05, 2010 @ 14:47:51
@Erimitus Said

Intelligence is not just some fancy store bought book learning.

Being intelligent (i.e., having the ability to, understand, reason, think abstractly, and learn) is different from being "smart" (having the ability to adapt to the environment and survive). A person may be intelligent yet not be smart. A person may be smart yet not be intelligent.

What do you think?

the response to this post has been somewhat underwhelming.

So...

I am going to try again.

What is intelligence??
SparklyKatie On March 07, 2014
\m//O_O\\m/

Sheffield, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Sep 05, 2010 @ 15:02:59
I agree, I know some intelligent people who have no common or street sense.

I think a big part is learning from mistakes and past experiences, something I know some (who are quite smart) are severely lacking in that department.

I think I'm averagely intelligent, smart and streetwise and I like it like that.

#4New Post! Sep 05, 2010 @ 15:32:50
@SparklyKatie Said

I agree, I know some intelligent people who have no common or street sense.

I think a big part is learning from mistakes and past experiences, something I know some (who are quite smart) are severely lacking in that department.

I think I'm averagely intelligent, smart and streetwise and I like it like that.

A person?s intelligence depends on criteria.

Individuals differ from each other in their ability to learn, in their ability to understand, and in their ability to reason. Differences in individual intelligence can be considerable; however, individual differences are never really consistent. A person?s intellect varies with time and place. Morning people are more intelligent in the morning, and may lack intelligence in the evening. An aborigine in a jungle will have the intelligence to survive in the jungle but would not last long in a city. A city dweller will have the intelligence to survive in the city but would not last long in a jungle. Both are intelligent, the criteria (standard used to judge) are different.
foosyerdoos On March 10, 2015

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Sep 05, 2010 @ 15:49:26
@Erimitus Said

the response to this post has been somewhat underwhelming.

So...

I am going to try again.

What is intelligence??

Intelligence isn't about what you know. It's about having the ability to apply what you know in a meaningful way.

#6New Post! Sep 05, 2010 @ 16:57:28
@foosyerdoos Said

Intelligence isn't about what you know. It's about having the ability to apply what you know in a meaningful way.

This exemplifies the difficulty that I am having. Is intelligence that which is known or is intelligence the using of that which is known in a meaningful way or are both that which is known intelligence and the meaningful use of that which is know also intelligence, and if they are both intelligence how do we differentiate between that which is known and the application of that which is known?
BozieFozie On May 19, 2022
Life's a Beach

Paradise, Florida
#7New Post! Sep 05, 2010 @ 17:02:34
If intelligence is measured by I.Q., then what is mind power measured by???
foosyerdoos On March 10, 2015

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Sep 05, 2010 @ 17:07:01
@Erimitus Said

This exemplifies the difficulty that I am having. Is intelligence that which is known or is intelligence the using of that which is known in a meaningful way or are both that which is known intelligence and the meaningful use of that which is know also intelligence, and if they are both intelligence how do we differentiate between that which is known and the application of that which is known?

Knowledge is what you know. Intelligence is the ability to reason...maybe!
sAeGeSpAeNe On October 05, 2021
Part-time Nidologist

The other Bristol..., Connecti
#9New Post! Sep 05, 2010 @ 18:02:22
Look no further than the White House for confirmation of the hypothesis: "Being intelligent (i.e., having the ability to, understand, reason, think abstractly, and learn) is different from being "smart" (having the ability to adapt to the environment and survive)."

#10New Post! Sep 05, 2010 @ 20:03:51
@BozieFozie Said

If intelligence is measured by I.Q., then what is mind power measured by???

I am not sure what IQ is. It may be a ratio of what a person knows (based on some sort of test) compared to the rest of a sample group. I was given an IQ test when I went into the army. I scored very high. Having the highest IQ in the army is like Mo being the smartest stooge. If I had been compared to people in college I would have had a very low IQ. Any measurement of QI... (this is opinion I cannot back the statement with evidence) ...any measure of IQ is contingent upon the tester, the test, and those being tested and the results will vary considerabley depending on many variables.

I am not sure what mind power is. Please explain.

the big question (of course) is: If tin whistles are made of tin, then what are fog horns made of?

#11New Post! Sep 05, 2010 @ 20:09:26
@foosyerdoos Said

Knowledge is what you know. Intelligence is the ability to reason...maybe!

Knowledge is what you know.

Intelligence is the ability to understand, reason, learn (and many more things)

Knowledge is what is known.
Inteligence is how knowldge is used.

That answeres my question.

thanks.

#12New Post! Sep 05, 2010 @ 20:11:29
@sAeGeSpAeNe Said

Look no further than the White House for confirmation of the hypothesis: "Being intelligent (i.e., having the ability to, understand, reason, think abstractly, and learn) is different from being "smart" (having the ability to adapt to the environment and survive)."

<chuckle>

#13New Post! Sep 05, 2010 @ 20:11:43
@Erimitus Said

<chuckle>

No comment
Ko On January 25, 2011
\\m/(>.<)\\m/

949 Orange County, California
#14New Post! Sep 05, 2010 @ 20:13:50
Something just popped up for me.

Will being Wise include both abilities of intelligence and smartness? I can't recall the reasons of coming to that out in words but something's telling me it is (some pieces of information and thoughts from the past studies/reasoning) I'll come back when I can connect those pieces.
BozieFozie On May 19, 2022
Life's a Beach

Paradise, Florida
#15New Post! Sep 06, 2010 @ 10:24:23
@Erimitus Said

I am not sure what IQ is. It may be a ratio of what a person knows (based on some sort of test) compared to the rest of a sample group. I was given an IQ test when I went into the army. I scored very high. Having the highest IQ in the army is like Mo being the smartest stooge. If I had been compared to people in college I would have had a very low IQ. Any measurement of QI... (this is opinion I cannot back the statement with evidence) ...any measure of IQ is contingent upon the tester, the test, and those being tested and the results will vary considerabley depending on many variables.

I am not sure what mind power is. Please explain.

the big question (of course) is: If tin whistles are made of tin, then what are fog horns made of?

Mind power to me would be like what Chris Angell displays....the ability to send out energy with your mind, NOT necessarily intelligence, but thought energy! I guess the book "The Secret" about the "Law of Attraction", in other words, what you think is what you manifest in the physical realm" speaks to this as well. If all this is true about the power of positive thinking and think and grow rich, then I'm thinking REAL hard about a mansion on the beach!!!!!
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 4 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs