I'm Awesome

Deleted

London, United Kingdom
#31New Post! Sep 06, 2009 @ 01:44:58
@chrill Said

I'll try to draw a graph in TFS..

You 1 - - - - - - - - - - - - - You 2
Light 1 - - - - - Light 2

You see it at the first point, then go to the second point before the light does. You'll therefore see the light appear twice. The very same light. At different times.

But you would not be able to see Light 1 from You 2 for a "second time" because you would have moved before Light 1 reached You 1 in what would be the first time, surely?
Pete On March 28, 2012
Master of Unlocking

Central Scotland, United Kingd
#32New Post! Sep 06, 2009 @ 01:46:34
Time travel is pretty simple.

Im doing it now.
silk_boxers On September 14, 2009

Deleted

, Illinois
#33New Post! Sep 06, 2009 @ 01:51:40
i agree with the grandfather paradox, in regards to traveling back in the past. but i can't see what harm would happen if one traveled to the future
fatman On May 30, 2010

asheville, North Carolina
#34New Post! Sep 06, 2009 @ 01:55:33
I have always been fascinated by the concept of time travel. I wish I could say I believe it were on some level possible, but philosophically I have to doubt it for the following reason;

It is observable that as acceleration increases, time slows at a rate that indicates that at the speed of light its acceleration would be zero. By definition, time would then not exist. One cannot move forward, backward, up or down in that which does not exist.

Of course this only defines acceleration as a means to negate time. Perhaps there is a way to manipulate time other than acceleration. If anybody out there knows of any other theories, I would love to hear them. I would LOVE to believe time travel is possible!
Chrill On August 01, 2022
Gesundheit

Järfälla, Sweden
#35New Post! Sep 06, 2009 @ 02:01:02
@silk_boxers Said

you will see two of 'you' also

Granted. You actually would be be seeing your past self
Erimitus On July 01, 2021

The mind of God, Antarctica
#36New Post! Sep 06, 2009 @ 03:16:04

Wait a second, the earth isn't flat! I thought Einstein proved the universe is disk shaped and resting on the back of a giant turtle.

Erimitus On July 01, 2021

The mind of God, Antarctica
#37New Post! Sep 06, 2009 @ 03:20:07
Well...if you travel faster than the speed of light...do you visit the future or not? What would Einstein say?

Einstein would say you cant travel faster than light. You cannot even travle as fast as light. But...but, if matter and energy are the same E=MC2, and matter is just condensed energy, then matter converted to energy could travle as fast as light (electromagnetic energy)
davejey On March 07, 2018

Wellington, New Zealand
#38New Post! Sep 06, 2009 @ 05:06:33
If you could travel from London UK to Auckland New Zealand in say 5 hours you would be in the future by almost a day.
Because we in NZ are 24 hours ahead of Greenwich mean time.
This is true, but I'm just kiddin'
I don't believe in time travel in physical nature.
I know there have been experiments with accelorators and in the findings there is a discrepancy in time but I believe there is an interdependancy of time and space.; but this gets a little too much above my understanding of quantum physics...
young_nick On December 11, 2010
The Dude

Auckland, New Zealand
#39New Post! Sep 06, 2009 @ 05:23:29
Theoretically yes time travel is possible.

One guy is making a machine based on one technique now.

sugarflyguy On March 15, 2010
Pro-Pho-tographer

Deleted

Leaving TFS today:), United Ki
#40New Post! Sep 06, 2009 @ 07:07:45
But the future doesn't exist yet, so how can it be possible either going back in time or going into the future, plus the concept of time, i.e. like 12'o clock, is a man made concept
colonelbleep On December 15, 2015

, North Carolina
#41New Post! Sep 06, 2009 @ 09:37:12
Source
The theory of relativity was revolutionary because it showed how the speed at which time happens is mutable; that space and time are not discrete entities: time and space and motion (ie, movement through space) collapse into a fourth dimension, in which all act on each other. It is impossible to say "now" without saying "here" and "how fast".

Or, to put it another way, imagine you have a twin. You stay on earth, your twin goes into space on a fast rocket ship for 10 years; when they come back, they're a couple of years younger than you are. It even works with aeroplanes: circle the earth, flying low; when you return to your starting point, your watch will be slightly behind. "If you were actually moving at the speed of light (which you couldn't do, but suppose you could)," says Penrose, "your watch would stop altogether." It's a rather more expensive method of age-defiance than Cr?me de la Mer, but then again, it has the advantage of being a physical law of the universe.
sheepy On March 23, 2010

Deleted

Treasure Island, United Kingdo
#42New Post! Sep 06, 2009 @ 10:20:55
I'm certain I read that some scientists put an ultra sensitive clock on an aeroplane, when the plane landed (Presumably a long haul flight), they compared this with a clock on earth, and it was found that the aeroplane had travelled in time - albeit by the most fraction of a second.

Course, I might be imagining this.
chocolatethunder On September 20, 2010

newcastle, Australia
#43New Post! Sep 06, 2009 @ 11:43:08
well i depends on what you define as time travel.
well there was this scientist that did a study on whether gravity affects time. he got two quatum clocks that can measure time to a billionth of a millisecond and put one in his lab and put the other in a fighter jet and asked the pilot to fly round the earth twice as fast as possible.
and when he brought the two clocks back together the one that was in the jet was different to the one in the lab it was ahead by 3 milliseconds.
so when we are higher or lower than our usual gravity time affects us differently, so some scientists beleive that when you spend most of your time in airplanes moving to and from different countries your actually shortening your own life.
Revoprod On September 11, 2009

United States, United States (
#44New Post! Sep 06, 2009 @ 12:09:10
If the future is, in theory, already "set," then if we were to time travel, wouldn't it already be predicted that we WOULD time travel?
Chrill On August 01, 2022
Gesundheit

Järfälla, Sweden
#45New Post! Sep 06, 2009 @ 12:11:52
There's a paradox when it comes to time travel. You go back in time, give someone an object. This someone gives you that object later on in life. Before you go back to give it to him.

This would mean that he got the object from you, but you got it from him. Where did it originally come from?
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 · >>

2 browsing (0 members - 2 guests)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs