Politics

Immigration "activist" arrested.

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
lulu On September 08, 2007

pasadena, California
#1New Post! Aug 20, 2007 @ 15:49:37
Elvira Arellano was arrested in L.A. and is being processed for deportation on an order originially issued in 1997. This woman has demanded sanctuary in various churches because although she's illegal here, her 8-year-old son is a citizen.

Deported after she came illegally in 1997, she returned to Illinois in 2000 and was arrested again in 2002, convicted of working under a false Social Security number.

Immigration "activists" are loudly complaining..."How dare they arrest this woman?" says one.

Well, for starters, she's a criminal who knowingly gave birth while living here illegally and now wants to profit from that act.

I say send them both back. She's the one who put the boy in jeopardy.

What do you think?
stumblinthrulife On April 16, 2008

Deleted

Lake Saint Louis, Missouri
#2New Post! Aug 20, 2007 @ 15:58:01
@lulu Said
knowingly gave birth

Is there another way?
wildething On February 04, 2008

, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Aug 20, 2007 @ 16:47:39
many illegal immigrants go to other countries because their lives in their countries of origin are intolerable. not many people would willingly give up their homes, families, and native language, to risk living as a member of an underclass in a society that often shuns them unless they have a damned good reason to do so.
some would say that they do it for money, and yes i know many who do, but of the mere pittance they earn in jobs that we, the natives, would not stoop to do, they send most of their earnings back to starving/struggling families at home.
we should be proud that we live in affluent, liberal, countries where such people can seek refuge.
ugly_ducky On September 30, 2008

Jurassic Pond,
#4New Post! Aug 20, 2007 @ 17:16:47
62 % of all "undocumented immigrants" in the U.S. are working for cash and not paying taxes, predominantly illegal aliens are working without a green card
The cost of immigration to the American taxpayer in 1997 (last known calculation by Professor Donald Huddle, Rice University) was a NET (after subtracting taxes immigrants pay), $70 Billion per year. [What are the 2006 costs?]
The lifetime fiscal impact (taxes paid minus services used) for the average illegal alien is $55,000 cost to the American taxpayer in a 5-year span. You personally pay $11,000 every year to illegal aliens.
https://www.savage-productions.com/illegal_alien_contributions.html

After reading that I say good riddance to her.
markfox01 On October 23, 2021
innit!

Welshman in Brum.., United Kin
#5New Post! Aug 20, 2007 @ 17:48:32
I try to work out why a immigrant would want to work in a country illegal?

Just think your life will be hiding, cash in hand and most of the time it will be in very unsafe work. Why not put all the efforty anf energy in making something of yourself??

Deleted

#6New Post! Aug 20, 2007 @ 17:49:25
@ugly_ducky Said
62 % of all "undocumented immigrants" in the U.S. are working for cash and not paying taxes, predominantly illegal aliens are working without a green card
The cost of immigration to the American taxpayer in 1997 (last known calculation by Professor Donald Huddle, Rice University) was a NET (after subtracting taxes immigrants pay), $70 Billion per year. [What are the 2006 costs?]
The lifetime fiscal impact (taxes paid minus services used) for the average illegal alien is $55,000 cost to the American taxpayer in a 5-year span. You personally pay $11,000 every year to illegal aliens.
https://www.savage-productions.com/illegal_alien_contributions.html

After reading that I say good riddance to her.

It's not really that clear cut, unfortunately. Sure, taken in isolation I have no doubt that those numbers are correct. And if all illegal immigrants could be removed from the country without any other effect that would be great.

But at the end of the day, no matter what your views on immigration (legal or otherwise) are, you have to admit that we live in the real world. In the real world, all actions have consequences. A large portion of illegals are working for low wages without paying taxes, a large portion of the legal immigrants are working for low wages, and paying taxes. The common theme? Low wages. Wages that the typical American citizen would not work for. Wages that a labor union would go up against in a heart beat.

Remove the immigrants, and suddenly you have a huge labor gap. Sure, some of it would be filled, no doubt. But I doubt you'll find 11 million Americans willing to mow grass and do day labor for the wage that an illegal would accept. The result - an increasing amount of people would be unable to afford their current lifestyle. Who wants to pay social security and taxes for a maid, when you can pay her under the table and you both win? Same for gardeners, and day laborers.

Increased wages for staff = decreased disposable income. Decreased disposable income = decreased consumer spending. Decreased consumer spending = depressed economy. Depressed economy = recession. Recession = up s*** creak with no f***in' paddle.

Take it a step further - let's get rid of all the immigrants, including the legal ones that are serving you at your local McDonalds, gas station, etc... Again, there would be a labor gap (not to mention a skills gap - not all of us immigrants came over empty handed, you know?) - Americans would need to fill this gap.

Americans would demand higher wages than an immigrant who is just grateful to be living and working in a country where they aren't fearful for their lives. Higher wages = lower margin. Lower margin = your investments don't perform so well. Poorly performing investments = poorly performing pension plans. Poorly performing pension plans = greater state reliance. Greater state reliance = budget deficit. Budget deficit = spending cuts. Spending cuts = lower education standards (cos we know the airforce aren't gonna be losing any bombers people). It goes on and on.

Once you go down a path, it's tough to turn back. America was populated by immigrants. It was built by immigrants that they in turn brought into the country. Our infrastructure is now based on the labor of immigrants, both legal and illegal, that we allow into our country. You can't just pull that rug out from under the country and blindly expect that there won't be consequences. Cause and effect - no one is immune from it.

Deleted

#7New Post! Aug 20, 2007 @ 17:53:02
@markfox01 Said
I try to work out why a immigrant would want to work in a country illegal?

Just think your life will be hiding, cash in hand and most of the time it will be in very unsafe work. Why not put all the efforty anf energy in making something of yourself??

Said like someone who has never known hardship. True hardship, like nothing the western world has known for hundreds of years.

These people are often unskilled, either running away from god knows what, or just trying to put a loaf of bread on the table for their family. Just making it to the US and being able to send $50 a week home to feed their kids is making something of themselves. It's ten times what they'd be able to do at home, and it takes effort and hardwork to achieve. The US doesn't exactly hand out greencards (contrary to popular belief) and absolutely nothing is given away for free. Sure, they may be able to afford to go to school - but they'd probably have to stop putting bread in their children's mouths to do so.
Lili On July 12, 2019

Sunshine Land,
#8New Post! Aug 20, 2007 @ 18:00:19
So in effect you could end up paying out more per person than $11,000 if there were no immigrants than if there are. In the form of increased costs of food, labor and service industries. So instead of it being added to your taxes, it would be added to your grocery costs, your clothing expenses, etc.

, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Aug 20, 2007 @ 18:09:39
illegal immigrants alway end up being the scapegoat for incompetent governments in every country. yet the money governments waste on suicidal foreign policies and schemes that never get off the ground is way more than the cost to the taxpayer for illegal immigrants.
and as has been said before, many illegal immigrants are fleeing horrific situations at home, so would you rather just sit back and let them suffer or die? we are all human beings regardless of nationality, where is your heart?

Deleted

#10New Post! Aug 20, 2007 @ 18:20:06
Oh, also, a comment on that $11,000 per person tax bill. Twaddle. You can't have a progressive tax structure, and then spread the cost linearly per person. The cost is spread progressively as well, and I'm guessing that the average Joe, whom these "statistics" were designed to incense, will be paying a fraction of that figure each year, given that most of the tax burden is actually assumed by the rich and corporations.
sheepy On March 23, 2010

Deleted

Treasure Island, United Kingdo
#11New Post! Aug 20, 2007 @ 18:26:13
Someone wants to come to our country because they want to better themselves, because they love the country and love the people, love the lifestyle, and love the freedoms we built up over centuries - and want to prosper amongst those peoples and work their nuts off if necessary to better themselves - then as long as the countries infrastructure can cope, welcome

The a*****es who want to come over here, hate us but love our money, and cause friction and resentment and breed like rabbits, but expect the state to pick up the tab, f*** them and kick them out

Simple as that.

Cue someone who knows I'm probably right and is incapable of offering no counter arguement, screaming "racism" to try and stifle the debate.

ps, I'm the son of an immigrant

Jurassic Pond,
#12New Post! Aug 20, 2007 @ 18:49:35
@stumblinthrulife Said
Oh, also, a comment on that $11,000 per person tax bill. Twaddle. You can't have a progressive tax structure, and then spread the cost linearly per person. The cost is spread progressively as well, and I'm guessing that the average Joe, whom these "statistics" were designed to incense, will be paying a fraction of that figure each year, given that most of the tax burden is actually assumed by the rich and corporations.

Any tax burdens assumed by the rich and corporations are passed down to the average joe. Lets face reality, illegal immigration is a burden not an asset. They are costing this country more than they are contributing to it.
Remove them, yes there will be consequences but there is no reason at all to assume they would be worse then what we are dealing with now.
I just do not see any evidence at all that allowing millions of uneducated and unskilled impoverished people into the country is a good thing.

Here is an interesting read on the impact of illegal immigration and the job market.
https://www.usillegalaliens.com/impacts_of_illegal_immigration_jobs.html

, United Kingdom
#13New Post! Aug 20, 2007 @ 19:08:58
illegal immigrants founded america.
illegal in that the native americans certainly did not give them the legal right to live there.
now america is one of the strongest countries in the world.
so what did the founding fathers contribute?
lets not be so blinkered by bigotry here.

Jurassic Pond,
#14New Post! Aug 20, 2007 @ 19:14:15
@lili Said
So in effect you could end up paying out more per person than $11,000 if there were no immigrants than if there are. In the form of increased costs of food, labor and service industries. So instead of it being added to your taxes, it would be added to your grocery costs, your clothing expenses, etc.

Actually no. What illegal immigration does is drive down wages for everybody in the lower economic bracket while the price of goods still go up. Do you honestly think those who are exploiting this labor are passing the savings on to you?
lulu On September 08, 2007

pasadena, California
#15New Post! Aug 20, 2007 @ 19:21:15
It didn't take long for the "bigotry" label to be flung, did it? Can we discuss the meaning of the word "ILLEGAL?"

If your first act in coming here is blatant disregard for immigration laws...I don't care (or know, necessarily) what your color might be.

And the old cliche about "all Americans were once illegal immigrants" doesn't work, either. They didn't have immigration laws in 1620 (sorry to say--my ancestors were Natives.)

Let's face facts...it seems to be ok for SOME people to break Federal laws because they're poor.

So--how about if I break into your house & demand that you support me while I do your housework?
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs