Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3
sheepy On March 23, 2010

Deleted

Treasure Island, United Kingdo
#31New Post! Jan 03, 2010 @ 22:35:58
@CannyMind Said

The "not enough room in a small country" argument is absolute rubbish.
Since the clearances the highlands are empty: the entire population of the Netherlands (area=41,543 sq km) could easily be dropped almost anywhere in the highlands, (area=78,772 sq km Scotland) and the place would still be relatively sparsely populated.

No, that is absolute rubbish.

Can the highlands sustain tens of thousands in the modern day? There is a vast difference between the Netherlands (Flat mild farming area) and the highlands.
This IS a small country. The places people want to live and are able to live are finite. The cities are bulging, there is pressure on green belt agricultural land, there is immense pressure on infrastructure.....or who is going to pay for the huge increase in new housing, schools etc?
Dump them all in the highlands. Oh that is really going to go down a treat with the people coming over here.
CannyMind On January 08, 2015

Glasgow, United Kingdom
#32New Post! Jan 03, 2010 @ 22:40:12
@iwannano Said

Here is the site that has quite a bit of info on Europes crime .
https://www.forbes.com/2008/07/15/europe-capitals-crime-forbeslife-cx_po_0715crime.html
somwhere on this site is the link to the story I'm still looking for it.

It's a well known truism that; "you shouldn't believe everything you read". When applied to anything published by "Forbes" (well known publishers of the Rich List) I'd be doubly wary, in case you're still in any doubt about where their political affiliations lie, the motto of Forbes is "The Capitalist Tool".

Rich men's tools: how apt!
iwannano On May 19, 2010
Mountain William

Deleted

#33New Post! Jan 03, 2010 @ 22:52:30
@CannyMind Said

It's a well known truism that; "you shouldn't believe everything you read". When applied to anything published by "Forbes" (well known publishers of the Rich List) I'd be doubly wary, in case you're still in any doubt about where their political affiliations lie, the motto of Forbes is "The Capitalist Tool".

Rich men's tools: how apt!

Off topic,,,,,
The way I came across this site is simple, it's a given that any thread on gun control in the US there will be almost as many folks in GB in the thread as there are folks from the US. at some point in the thread the comparison between US and GB crime since firearms had been outlawed over there came up and looking for something on that I came across this site.
Okay back on topic ,,

Glasgow, United Kingdom
#34New Post! Jan 03, 2010 @ 23:01:12
@sheepy Said

Can the highlands sustain tens of thousands in the modern day? There is a vast difference between the Netherlands (Flat mild farming area) and the highlands.
This IS a small country. The places people want to live and are able to live are finite. The cities are bulging, there is pressure on green belt agricultural land, there is immense pressure on infrastructure.....or who is going to pay for the huge increase in new housing, schools etc?
Dump them all in the highlands. Oh that is really going to go down a treat with the people coming over here.

It was not a plan to repopulate the highlands, merely an observation that one of the most densely populated countries (Netherlands) in the world could easily be accommodated in a region of Scotland with room to spare. If the lairds (landowners) hadn't depopulated the highlands to profit from sheep, today they would (and could) support a far higher population. (Which is a bye-the-bye, as I said it wasn't a plan for repopulation, just an observation).

To quickly deal with your other points, the immigrants themselves would increase the wealth available to all.
In the end all wealth is created by work (labour power); more people = more labour power = more wealth.
WASH On June 04, 2012

LINCOLN, California
#35New Post! Jan 03, 2010 @ 23:35:52
@CannyMind Said

It was not a plan to repopulate the highlands, merely an observation that one of the most densely populated countries (Netherlands) in the world could easily be accommodated in a region of Scotland with room to spare. If the lairds (landowners) hadn't depopulated the highlands to profit from sheep, today they would (and could) support a far higher population. (Which is a bye-the-bye, as I said it wasn't a plan for repopulation, just an observation).

To quickly deal with your other points, the immigrants themselves would increase the wealth available to all.
In the end all wealth is created by work (labour power); more people = more labour power = more wealth.

Tell that tp the African population. Any immigrants moving there?

Glasgow, United Kingdom
#36New Post! Jan 03, 2010 @ 23:45:13
@WASH Said

Tell that tp the African population. Any immigrants moving there?

To be perfectly honest I'm not even going to dignify that with a reply.

floydgirrl On October 08, 2022
Stalkee

Pope's Wine Celler, Holy See (
#37New Post! Jan 03, 2010 @ 23:58:57
I think the UK would benefit if they let me immigrate there.
drummerwannabe On June 17, 2019
Travel Junkie

In a drum.., Minnesota
#38New Post! Jan 04, 2010 @ 02:30:44
@sheepy Said

I have no problems with people who love this country and want to come live/work here, think they can contribute to the country and better themselves in the process - come on in!
Better than some of the chavs we have here already - perhaps we can kick some of these disgraces out to make room for immigrants who will be better citizens

Anyone who does not love this country, wants to sponge off the place, wants to spread intolerance and hatred - they can frankly f*** off. We are tolerant and accepting - maybe there is somewhere more suited to them...like Zimbabwe.

There however has to be controls. This is a small island with finite resources. There are social/economic problems which are heightened with larger population. There needs to be controlled immigration with perhaps a points system

Contrary to popular opinion, this government hasn't opened the floodgates, it's damned hard to legally emigrate to the UK. What they have done is opened the "backdoor" route through relatives already living here, and labour mp's have voiced concern we are importing backward looking third world attitudes along with this policy contrary to our liberal traditions.
This lifting has also greatly contributed to the rise of the BNP. Once a very fringe party, this is a monster of Labours creation - simple fact. It would be so easy to take away their support if Labour actually listened.

Not everyone who might want to come here can be accomodated. It's as simple as that.

Oh and anyone of these absolute total s*** for brains who dare to even suggest this is racist - get a f***ing life!

Totally agree with you.. I actually really want to live in the U.K. and work there. But as you mentioned, i've looked at your immigration rules and it's hard to legally get into your country. Of course I wouldn't try to enter illegaly, but I can see how these rules can make illegal immigration rise.
sue2 On August 15, 2011

Deleted

cornwall, United Kingdom
#39New Post! Jan 04, 2010 @ 07:16:33
I think it maybe time to call a halt & shut the doors. We are only a small island and we seem over loaded.
DorkySupergirl On November 02, 2017

, Canada
#40New Post! Jan 04, 2010 @ 07:19:56
I would love to move to England. I would not however just fly there and take up shop. If I could mvoe there I would ensure I had a proper paying career. I would of course be able to support myself, pay my taxes and obey the laws just like I do in my own country.
glassman55 On November 01, 2010

Deleted

Dingwall, United Kingdom
#42New Post! Jan 04, 2010 @ 12:44:40
@jmo Said

OK, trying not to delve into racism/people accusing people of being racist what are your opinions on Immigration into the UK?

Is there too much, too little, are we strict enough, too strict? What do you think?

Too strict? No way. The amount just basically walking into the UK is taking the piss. I know people who live here who came from poland. I also know people who were born and still live in poland. I have /been/ to Poland. It treats it's own people very rudely, but as soon as a native sounding english word is spoken, everyone rushes to their battlestations to be as polite as possible.The wealth is extremely unevenly distributed, with very little middle ground between the amazing millionares rows and the run down slums of krakov, lodz and warsaw. Of course they are going to want to come here. It's their right, after all. Fair enough if they want to come here.

But, my annoyance is that we just hand out citizenships to anyone. My dad (police officer) told me that if you stay in the country for 5 years, regardless even if you are illegally here, you get given citizenship. What... The... Hell... Automatically given it? They might not even be able to speak English.

Personally, the way they keep coming, then leaving when things aren't do as well in the country, is raping the economy even more. I have nothing against them. It's us I'm mad about for letting this bull happen.

Deleted

Dingwall, United Kingdom
#43New Post! Jan 04, 2010 @ 12:52:32
@sheepy Said

It's not a question of /can/ they, but a question of how would the highlanders react. If immigrants were responsible for the ruining of the countryside here, I would personally tell each one to bugger off. Prosperity is one thing that's good when caused by immigration, but any destruction of heritage will have majorly crossed the line. If that happened, would it not be fair to tear down the beautiful historical cathedral in krakov for room for a housing estate for the british? Of course not. It's heritage. Heritage is for the country's people itself. Touching someone elses sacrosanct heritage is just wrong in every situation.
KAMPA On October 28, 2013
Admiral Karl Donuts

Uhlan Bator, Mongolia
#44New Post! Jan 04, 2010 @ 13:10:49
@glassman55 Said

It's not a question of /can/ they, but a question of how would the highlanders react. If immigrants were responsible for the ruining of the countryside here, I would personally tell each one to bugger off. Prosperity is one thing that's good when caused by immigration, but any destruction of heritage will have majorly crossed the line. If that happened, would it not be fair to tear down the beautiful historical cathedral in krakov for room for a housing estate for the british? Of course not. It's heritage. Heritage is for the country's people itself. Touching someone elses sacrosanct heritage is just wrong in every situation.

The Krakow Cathedral comment leads me to believe you are anti Polish immigration. You obviously are to young to know the significsnt role Poles played in defending the UK from naziism!

Deleted

Dingwall, United Kingdom
#45New Post! Jan 07, 2010 @ 09:05:26
@KAMPA Said

The Krakow Cathedral comment leads me to believe you are anti Polish immigration. You obviously are to young to know the significsnt role Poles played in defending the UK from naziism!

You completely misread the comment. I said I'm fine with them. They don't bother me. In fact, it'll encourage the unemployed to get off their arse and compete for work. But you just accused me of being racist for not wanting my heritage or landscape ruined. It isn't what I meant. Being racist was if I used their coming here to me destroying the cathedral. No, mate, I was talking about how if there were to be more housing estates in the highland countryside specifically for polish, that's ruining OUR landscape and heritage. So, by taking something of equal value of heritage of theirs, I put it into perspective how unacceptable toying with another country's heritage. They can live here if they want, as long as it doesn't mean the highlands becomes a place of cheap housing schemes specifically for the Polish, or even the British for that matter.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs