Illegal Ownership vs. Gun Control Laws

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
white_swan53 On October 07, 2020

n/a, New Mexico
#1New Post! Jul 24, 2013 @ 21:17:56
Quote:

A gunman opened fire in a Brooklyn park yesterday in a senseless act of revenge — wounding five people, including two bystanders sitting on a porch, witnesses and officials said.

The shooter, accompanied by three other men and two women, fired multiple times at a crowd at Hope Ballfield in Bushwick at around 2:15 p.m., witnesses said.

The shooter was at large, but witnesses said cops did nab a unidentified man when he returned to the scene to retrieve the discarded gun.

https://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/brooklyn/spray_of_bullets_hits_Utf74cwI8L0Lr8TSaw0D5H

Five people were shot for calling the police after an attack on daughter.
A few days before the shooting ,
An 18 year old girl was harassed by a group of men while she was her shift at a local McDonald’s .The girl refused their 'advances ' so one of the guys threw a his milk shake in her face.
The daughter told her dad what had happened , dad went to the cops about the group of men harassing his daughter and throwing the milkshake in her face.

The weekend shooting was in retaliation for the dad going to police .

Dad took a bullet in his stomach, his wife was hit in the knee and their son was hit in the leg, an aunt was shot in her stomach and another relative, 62-year-old was hit by a slug in his ankle.

After reading up on the topic of which state has the toughest Gun Control laws ,it would seem that New York state wins by a nose.

Gun laws in New York

I read the whole page and no where did I read anything that had any thing that relates to the shooter of those 5 family members in Brooklyn.
Thugs like this shooter ,if they even heard about the new 'gun control laws ,probably just laughed and said something derogatory towards the politicians that passed it. This 'new' law and any others anywhere like it has no effect what so ever on violent gun crime nor the criminals who commit the crimes .
The whole damn thing in a nut shell is directed towards legal gun owners. Who BTW, aren't laughing or ignoring it, in some cases legal gun owners who up until this law was passed ,had towed the mark and made sure all their' T's' were crossed and their 'I 's were dotted became criminals over night.

BTW,,
The cops nabbed the suspected shooter ,,
Suspect in Bushwick Park Shooting Busted in Springfield Mass

n/a, New Mexico
#2New Post! Jul 25, 2013 @ 18:49:00
I have been reading a few other states gun control laws and basically none of the laws are written with the criminals in mind. While every legal gun owner will be sure to have filled out all the correct forms and paid all the fees and followed the laws to the letter. The criminals will be watching for a chance to steal a perfectly legal gun while preparing to commit some violent crime with. If or when the criminal is caught ,whatever the outcome of the arrest turns out to be , will have no the legal owner had not bothered with the gun control laws.

That is what makes no sense at all . It makes the law abiding citizens jump though hoops ,bend over backwards and pay out the nose to exercise a constitutional right , while leaving it ' just another day at the office ' for the criminals.
someone_else_again On May 20, 2021
Really. Not a dude.

, Washington
#3New Post! Jul 25, 2013 @ 19:05:08
@white_swan53 Said

I have been reading a few other states gun control laws and basically none of the laws are written with the criminals in mind.

Point me to a law written with a criminal in mind. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that all laws are written for law-abiding citizens to follow.

@white_swan53 Said

While every legal gun owner will be sure to have filled out all the correct forms and paid all the fees and followed the laws to the letter. The criminals will be watching for a chance to steal a perfectly legal gun while preparing to commit some violent crime with. If or when the criminal is caught ,whatever the outcome of the arrest turns out to be , will have no the legal owner had not bothered with the gun control laws.

That is what makes no sense at all . It makes the law abiding citizens jump though hoops ,bend over backwards and pay out the nose to exercise a constitutional right , while leaving it ' just another day at the office ' for the criminals.

What laws are you hoping would stop that? How do you stop a criminal with a law?

n/a, New Mexico
#4New Post! Jul 25, 2013 @ 19:38:20
@someone_else_again Said

Point me to a law written with a criminal in mind. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that all laws are written for law-abiding citizens to follow.

What laws are you hoping would stop that? How do you stop a criminal with a law?

Then we sure have a huge F**KED up problem . Someone needs to tell some body to open all those prison gates and jail house doors and let all the law breaking criminals out.
Really. Not a dude.

, Washington
#5New Post! Jul 25, 2013 @ 19:58:41
@white_swan53 Said

Then we sure have a huge F**KED up problem . Someone needs to tell some body to open all those prison gates and jail house doors and let all the law breaking criminals out.

I'm not quite sure where you're going here...

Criminals break laws. It comes with the territory of being a criminal. What kind of a law would you expect a criminal to follow?
Electric_Banana On February 05, 2024

, New Zealand
#6New Post! Jul 25, 2013 @ 20:39:32
@someone_else_again Said

Point me to a law written with a criminal in mind.

Uh....

Vinny and Knuckles no longer use Tommy Guns nowadays....they use bureaucracy and bulls***.

And if I were them I wouldn't want anyone but us owning guns either.
Really. Not a dude.

, Washington
#7New Post! Jul 25, 2013 @ 20:41:44
@Electric_Banana Said

Uh....

Vinny and Knuckles no longer use Tommy Guns nowadays....they use bureaucracy and bulls***.

And if I were them I wouldn't want anyone but us owning guns either.

Umm...okay. Maybe I should rephrase that...

Point me to a law that says "If you're going to use this for a criminal purpose, here's how:"

Laws define criminals. It's not rocket surgery.

, New Zealand
#8New Post! Jul 25, 2013 @ 20:45:11
My life lesson has been this:

There would be fewer criminals if kids in schools used their exemption from prison to exact Christian-God-Like wraith upon those dared to harass them.

The offending kids, if still alive after the retaliation, would move on through life with the experience that if they get in others s*** they're going to get hurt.

Also, from a pseudo-science perspective concerning a collective mind, the collective mind will record the pain you inflict back thereby subliminally encouraging all future encounters to not get too close.

, New Zealand
#9New Post! Jul 25, 2013 @ 20:57:24
@someone_else_again Said

Umm...okay. Maybe I should rephrase that...

Point me to a law that says "If you're going to use this for a criminal purpose, here's how:"

Laws define criminals. It's not rocket surgery.

Criminal = Above Law so not worried what Laws are in place.

If I were a criminal I would encourage laws that make the world around me much easier to survive in.

First I would take away everyone's firearms so that they could not shoot back in the instance that my activities came down to guns.

So let's say that we have many laws established by paranoid 'victims' I would also recon a good number of those law making 'victims' to be criminals in disguise.

What the world doesn't understand is that when it comes to law, law is for cry-babies and goons.

A good portion of the world, like me, don't need laws to govern us because were just....well....clever.
Really. Not a dude.

, Washington
#10New Post! Jul 25, 2013 @ 21:24:38
@Electric_Banana Said

Criminal = Above Law so not worried what Laws are in place.

Well...no but they think they're above the law. If they actually were there wouldn't ever be any convicted criminals, would there?

@Electric_Banana Said

If I were a criminal I would encourage laws that make the world around me much easier to survive in.

First I would take away everyone's firearms so that they could not shoot back in the instance that my activities came down to guns.

So let's say that we have many laws established by paranoid 'victims' I would also recon a good number of those law making 'victims' to be criminals in disguise.

I'm not sure if you missed the point of you're just being silly so ....

@Electric_Banana Said

What the world doesn't understand is that when it comes to law, law is for cry-babies and goons.

A good portion of the world, like me, don't need laws to govern us because were just....well....clever.

Okay. I don't think clever is the word you're looking for there.

n/a, New Mexico
#11New Post! Jul 26, 2013 @ 00:11:15
@someone_else_again Said

I'm not quite sure where you're going here...

Criminals break laws. It comes with the territory of being a criminal. What kind of a law would you expect a criminal to follow?

Now I see. I had no idea where you were coming from with that post of yours .
There would be no coexisting for humans , with out rules and laws and the majority of the humans have to be inclined to be law abiding citizens . Humans just could not exist together in the same community without them.
But, Not every brain fart a politician has should be called a 'law' just because he was able to get another politician to smell that fart / 2nd the motion.
>>>> Politicians brain fart = Gun Control Laws <<<<
nooneinparticular On March 16, 2023

, Hawaii
#12New Post! Jul 26, 2013 @ 09:20:31
This is a straw man argument and it always was.

We ASSUME that adding more guns to a situation would reduce the rate and severity of incidents.

We ASSUME that gun control laws are the reason why these guns were not there.

We ASSUME these and quite a bit of other things when making these types of statements.

Let me pose a few questions here.

1. Since these laws do not, as far as I'm aware, actually prevent ownership of a gun by a 'law abiding citizen', then why should we assume that removal or loosening of these laws would in fact result in more 'law abiding citizens' owning guns, and not simply result in more guns being sold to people who already bought one?

2. Why should we assume that arming people will reduce the number and intensity of incidents that occur in a given area? For instance, what is the percentage of the US population that actually knows basic gun safety tips? How many know to check what is both in front of and behind a target before shooting? How many know to make absolutely sure of your target and their intent before firing? How many people know how to clean and check a gun, or if not, to have it cleaned and inspected by someone else regularly? How many would be able to apply these and other tips under duress, like for instance a shooting?

3. As white_swan stated, criminals bypass current gun control laws through a variety of different ways, one of which is to steal a gun from a 'law abiding citizen'. Now my question is, if this is the case, then why would putting more guns in the hands of more people reduce incidents of violence and at the same time not increase incidents of theft? If criminals are looking for easy marks to steal guns from, then how does putting more guns in the hands of the general populace help reduce this trend?

I think that's enough for now.

n/a, New Mexico
#13New Post! Jul 26, 2013 @ 12:11:12
I'm wondering where you have come up with this idea that gun owners assume any of the things you posted about.

Who is this that is assuming that if gun control laws were loosened or removed that people not already gun owners would go out and buy one or more ?
That's just ridiculous .
Gun owners do not assume anything about these new stiffer gun control laws.

The issues gun owners have with these 'new stiffer' gun control laws have nothing what so ever to do with more people going out and becoming first time gun owners.

The majority of 'law abiding citizens' who are legal gun owners knew the basic gun safety tips and have the respect for firearms that is needed to be a responsible law abiding
owner of a legal firearm. Now this is an assumption on my part, the percentage of law abiding citizens in the US that never have and probably never will own a gun ,that knows the basic safety rules for fire arms is probably close to nil.
It's just plain not good logic or common sense to assume that arming people will reduce the number and intensity of incidents involving guns. You can't start passing out firearms to just everyone and expect anything good to come out of it.
The only people I know of that make wild and totally ridiculous assumptions about the issues legal gun owners has with the new gun control laws are those people that do not have a clue about what legal gun owners take issue with .

These same people read about a 'Blood bath' happening, like the one in Brooklyn and start jumping up and down screaming for new stiffer gun control laws , never stopping to think about the fact that the those criminals causing the 'Blood Baths' like the one in Brooklyn don't give two s***s for any laws past ,present or future and have no inclination to ever own a legal firearm.
What makes people assume that if I'm banned from owning a legal firearm or more more more stiffer stiffer gun control control laws are passed that criminal will stop going out and causing a 'blood bath' whenever they feel like it?
What makes people assume that my owning a legal firearm is what causes school shootings and if my firearms are taken or better controlled by the politician that things like armed robbery ,school shootings and blood baths will become a thing of the past ?

Look at Europe, firearms have been banned from law abiding citizens for centuries and yet there is still gun violence happening.

Yes I realize that there isn't as much gun violence over there as we have here. But when the math is done and the fact that it has been literally centuries that the ban has been in affect , that a lot of crimes involving guns over there.
Please don't assume that I'm trying to excuse ours here in the US or that I'm trying to distract attention by pointing fingers to theirs over there.
My point is even after hundreds of years of guns being banned to law abiding citizens , there is still crimes involving guns happening. in Europe. If pro gun control people would just stop and use their heads for something besides a hat rack , and if every one would put the focus on the criminal element that is causing the violence . there might be a chance for real change.
But, I know that is just 'pie in the shy' fantasy and has a snowballs chance in hell of happening.

, New Zealand
#14New Post! Jul 26, 2013 @ 18:03:28
@someone_else_again Said

Okay. I don't think clever is the word you're looking for there.

Well, it's the same as Christianity. Some people come into the world, never mature, and need others to teach them how to keep their hands to themselves.

Those people not showing up on Sunday are not absent because they are evil. They are absent because they already know better and don't need once-a-week sessions of baby-talked mind science.

This is the same with 'laws' - They are made by and for those who feel that they are necessary because without them their own personal desires would end in dirty Pampers and spilled Kool-Aid everywhere.
Really. Not a dude.

, Washington
#15New Post! Jul 26, 2013 @ 19:52:42
@Electric_Banana Said

Well, it's the same as Christianity. Some people come into the world, never mature, and need others to teach them how to keep their hands to themselves.

Those people not showing up on Sunday are not absent because they are evil. They are absent because they already know better and don't need once-a-week sessions of baby-talked mind science.

This is the same with 'laws' - They are made by and for those who feel that they are necessary because without them their own personal desires would end in dirty Pampers and spilled Kool-Aid everywhere.

While I can agree with that about some people, that is in no way an absolute statement.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs