The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Religion & Philosophy

If you knew you only had 30 days to live, how would you change your life?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
DuLu On January 11, 2017
CHOOSE HAPPINESS!!!

Waverly, Washington
#1New Post! May 06, 2009 @ 03:27:43
ONE MONTH TO LIVE - 30 Days to a No-Regrets Life!
by Kerry & Chris Shook Copyright 2008 by Kerry and Chris Shook
published by WaterBrook Press

I'm reading this book, it is very insightful. It gives you a 30 day challenge to start living your life as though you have one month to live. I thought I'd share my thoughts as I take this challenge, and use excerpts and quotes from the book as well. The authors describe four universal principles included in the one-month-to-live lifestyle: 1) to live passionately, 2) to love completely, 3) to learn humbly, and 4) to leave boldly. For each day there is a chapter to help focus on the principle for that week. Don't wait until there's a crisis to consider how you can experience life to the fullest. If you agree to take the 30 day challenge, be prepared for life to radically improve. You will find yourself living with no regrets and will embrace a life so abundant you'll wonder why you ever settled for less.
I'll share my thoughts as I read each chapter: Day 1/Chapt 1,
Day 2/Chapt 2, Day 3/Chapt 3 etc. For the purposes of this thread
there may be some days where more then one chapter is covered, and there may be some days when no chapter is covered. But all 30
chapters will be covered within the time frame of 30 days.
One thing the authors ponder over is their interest in old gravestones and the lives they represent. My mom's dates would read
1918-2007. Of course Mom and Dad's name is there, the date they
were married, and on the back are all the names of the children.
Other tombstones include bible verses or poignant memorials, but each person's life really comes down to what transpired between the two dates on the tombstone. It comes down to 'what's in the dash'.
Makes you wonder: What did this person live for? Who did they leave behind? What were their passions? What were their biggest mistakes and their greatest mistakes. When you look at things this way, you realize we really don't have control over many things in live. We don't get to decide, for instance: where we were born, who our parents are, or which time period and culture we face. We don't get to decide the dates on our gravestones. We don't know when our time on this earth will be up. It could be next week, or next year or decades away. Only God knows, our lives are in His hands. However,
there is one thing we have a vast amount of control over ---
we get to decide how we are going to use our dash. It's true, you get to decide how to spend 'the little dash' of time between the two dates of your earthly existence. What will you spend yours on?
Are you living the 'dash', knowing full well who you are and why you're here? Or are you 'dashing to live', hurriedly spending precious time chasing things that really don't matter to you? He truly wants us to realize that our time on earth is limited so we will spend it wisely. But wise and caring Father that He is, and knowing how stubborn children can be, He gives us the choice about how we spend this more valuable currency - the 'life between the dashes' currency.
This concludes the introductory part of the book. Make your choices last for life. What would you 'really' do if you were told that you had only 30 days to live? As quickly as possible, without thinking too hard or too long make a list of five things you'd change about your life if you knew you only had a month to live.
Choose one, just one, to begin changing today, right now.

Visit www.OneMonthToLive.com for more information
CptObvious On February 04, 2010

Miami, Florida
#2New Post! May 06, 2009 @ 03:29:22
so depressing...id probably just lay in bed for 30 days waiting to die
windstorm On June 28, 2012

Birmingham, Alabama
#3New Post! May 06, 2009 @ 03:32:39
I'd just live each day to the fullest and when that time comes, I will just pass on.
Nyre On August 28, 2009

Regina, Canada
#4New Post! May 06, 2009 @ 03:34:15
I wouldn't change a thing.
CptObvious On February 04, 2010

Miami, Florida
#5New Post! May 06, 2009 @ 03:35:43
i damn sure wouldnt go to work for those 30 days
DuLu On January 11, 2017
CHOOSE HAPPINESS!!!

Waverly, Washington
#6New Post! May 06, 2009 @ 04:18:39
lol, all good responses. I'd want to do a major cleaning of the house, top to bottom. I have so much 'stuff' after 30 years, it needs to go. I sure would not want to have to go through someone else's 30 years of stuff, especially if they were packrats. On the other hand, after you're gone, you won't care anymore.
kentoo On October 26, 2010

Salmon Arm, Canada
#7New Post! May 06, 2009 @ 04:25:27
I would make no changes in my lifestyle if I knew that I had thirty days to live. I might cancel any appointments that I had beyond the thirty days.
cjm31 On July 05, 2012

Jerusalem, Israel
#8New Post! May 06, 2009 @ 04:31:17
i think it would be good to know your date of death then you can get all your things in order for your family.
DuLu On January 11, 2017
CHOOSE HAPPINESS!!!

Waverly, Washington
#9New Post! May 09, 2009 @ 19:23:45
well, I would stop posting/promising that I was going to journal/post about anything within a specific number of days. Of course as soon as I said that, things have been sooo busy I haven't even had time to look at the book. As soon as I find time to get back to the book, I'll just journal about it as I go through each chapter.
WASH On June 04, 2012

LINCOLN, California
#10New Post! May 10, 2009 @ 22:09:33
@DuLu Said

ONE MONTH TO LIVE - 30 Days to a No-Regrets Life!
by Kerry & Chris Shook Copyright 2008 by Kerry and Chris Shook
published by WaterBrook Press

I'm reading this book, it is very insightful. It gives you a 30 day challenge to start living your life as though you have one month to live. I thought I'd share my thoughts as I take this challenge, and use excerpts and quotes from the book as well. The authors describe four universal principles included in the one-month-to-live lifestyle: 1) to live passionately, 2) to love completely, 3) to learn humbly, and 4) to leave boldly. For each day there is a chapter to help focus on the principle for that week. Don't wait until there's a crisis to consider how you can experience life to the fullest. If you agree to take the 30 day challenge, be prepared for life to radically improve. You will find yourself living with no regrets and will embrace a life so abundant you'll wonder why you ever settled for less.
I'll share my thoughts as I read each chapter: Day 1/Chapt 1,
Day 2/Chapt 2, Day 3/Chapt 3 etc. For the purposes of this thread
there may be some days where more then one chapter is covered, and there may be some days when no chapter is covered. But all 30
chapters will be covered within the time frame of 30 days.
One thing the authors ponder over is their interest in old gravestones and the lives they represent. My mom's dates would read
1918-2007. Of course Mom and Dad's name is there, the date they
were married, and on the back are all the names of the children.
Other tombstones include bible verses or poignant memorials, but each person's life really comes down to what transpired between the two dates on the tombstone. It comes down to 'what's in the dash'.
Makes you wonder: What did this person live for? Who did they leave behind? What were their passions? What were their biggest mistakes and their greatest mistakes. When you look at things this way, you realize we really don't have control over many things in live. We don't get to decide, for instance: where we were born, who our parents are, or which time period and culture we face. We don't get to decide the dates on our gravestones. We don't know when our time on this earth will be up. It could be next week, or next year or decades away. Only God knows, our lives are in His hands. However,
there is one thing we have a vast amount of control over ---
we get to decide how we are going to use our dash. It's true, you get to decide how to spend 'the little dash' of time between the two dates of your earthly existence. What will you spend yours on?
Are you living the 'dash', knowing full well who you are and why you're here? Or are you 'dashing to live', hurriedly spending precious time chasing things that really don't matter to you? He truly wants us to realize that our time on earth is limited so we will spend it wisely. But wise and caring Father that He is, and knowing how stubborn children can be, He gives us the choice about how we spend this more valuable currency - the 'life between the dashes' currency.
This concludes the introductory part of the book. Make your choices last for life. What would you 'really' do if you were told that you had only 30 days to live? As quickly as possible, without thinking too hard or too long make a list of five things you'd change about your life if you knew you only had a month to live.
Choose one, just one, to begin changing today, right now.

Visit www.OneMonthToLive.com for more information

One da- 30 days? 90 years? No need to change my lifestyle!
So 30 more days? Thanks!
WASH
capt_rojea On May 11, 2009

Deleted

Twp of Orangeville,
#11New Post! May 10, 2009 @ 22:59:32
change the 30 days to infinity
HiImDan On February 29, 2024

Cleveland, the boil on the but
#12New Post! Mar 19, 2018 @ 01:41:12
I'd get some buffalo wings
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#13New Post! Mar 19, 2018 @ 02:05:01
I'd drink more Tequila... eat some psychotropic mushrooms... then put on my blue dress, my combat boots and hit the town...
Erimitus On July 01, 2021

The mind of God, Antarctica
#14New Post! Mar 19, 2018 @ 02:40:43
Denial

Anger

Bargaining

Depression

Carpa Diem
Komentenmelodie On May 25, 2018

#15New Post! Mar 19, 2018 @ 04:38:41
I have no family so I could not really care less!! On a bad day I would take action on those that have wronged me badly over the years. Vengence is a dish best served cold
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs