The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Religion & Philosophy:
Philosophy

If a tree fell in the forest, and no one was there to sense his knowledge... would the tree really e considerable?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 ...6 7 8 · >>
Reviso On November 23, 2014

Banned

Trenton, Canada
#1New Post! May 27, 2013 @ 13:58:46
I'm having trouble deciding on what no one being there means. You could be blind or criminals could be involved in an urban park. The premises of the debate must mean something for deciding the scientific method based on knowledgable sensing. But myself, I still would have to understand that what the knowledge is after: something in the physical environment, OR something about the psyche?

Somebody suggest support, or a better moral way?
The_Judge On September 17, 2013

Deleted

Your city, United Kingdom
#2New Post! May 27, 2013 @ 15:03:40
If noone knew about it, would the tree really exist?
Erimitus On July 01, 2021

The mind of God, Antarctica
#3New Post! May 27, 2013 @ 15:16:48
@Reviso Said

I'm having trouble deciding on what no one being there means. You could be blind or criminals could be involved in an urban park. The premises of the debate must mean something for deciding the scientific method based on knowledgable sensing. But myself, I still would have to understand that what the knowledge is after: something in the physical environment, OR something about the psyche?

Somebody suggest support, or a better moral way?

It has been proven in several independent studies that if a tree falls in the woods and no one is there the other trees laugh.

#4New Post! May 27, 2013 @ 15:18:56
@The_Judge Said

Does anything exist independent of perception?
Do I exist or am I just a figment of your imagination?

Banned

Trenton, Canada
#5New Post! May 27, 2013 @ 15:30:22
It indubitably exists for the goal we have in scientific knowledge. Of course, even for science there is Being. But the being of the tree exists in an appropriately doubtful way.

Banned

Trenton, Canada
#6New Post! May 27, 2013 @ 15:45:41
@The_Judge Said

That's why we NEED a God.
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#7New Post! May 27, 2013 @ 18:38:58
@Erimitus Said

Does anything exist independent of perception?

This is (as with the man made in god's image crap) classic human arrogance.

The presumption is that we are so great and important and advanced that everything depends on our (or "my" if you choose) perception when in actuality the universe continues with or without us humans.

Banned

Trenton, Canada
#8New Post! May 27, 2013 @ 18:41:50
In fact the arrogance of Man can't see anything prior to HIs coming into the universe, or after He is long gone from it.

Deleted

#9New Post! May 27, 2013 @ 19:19:02
@Reviso Said

In fact the arrogance of Man can't see anything prior to HIs coming into the universe, or after He is long gone from it.

I agree. If you knew that by chopping off your testicles, you would save 1000 people (extreme example I know and unrealistic, but lets retend its real). Would you do it for the greater good or would you be a coward.

I hold up my hand and say I would be a coward becuse I know I would find the pain unbearable and I would rather 1000 people died than me have to CHOOS that sort of pain.

As human we are shallow and self centred. Anything else, you are a different species.
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

#10New Post! May 27, 2013 @ 19:33:09
@The_Judge Said

I agree. If you knew that by chopping off your testicles, you would save 1000 people (extreme example I know and unrealistic, but lets retend its real). Would you do it for the greater good or would you be a coward.

Now Judge... you know cowardice is not part of the mix.

1000 people...?

I bet with my testicles I could replace that 1000 easy.

#11New Post! May 27, 2013 @ 21:11:45
@chaski Said

This is (as with the man made in god's image crap) classic human arrogance.

The presumption is that we are so great and important and advanced that everything depends on our (or "my" if you choose) perception when in actuality the universe continues with or without us humans.

or maybe I continue with or without the universe.

could it be I only exist in the mind of God? (i.e. God's imagination)

I know that I exist. I know that I perceive. How do I know that anything exists independent of my perception?
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

#12New Post! May 27, 2013 @ 21:15:57
@Erimitus Said

could it be I only exist in the mind of God?

No.

That cannot be.

Clearly if you think think at all...however minutely you can think... this is not true.

If there is a god, "he" fears us... "he" is in awe of us... he is dependent and ultimately subordinate to us (as is the master, ultimately, to the slave).

No.

You think therefore you are... and I assure you... so am i.

Deleted

#13New Post! May 27, 2013 @ 21:18:23
@chaski Said

No.

That cannot be.

Clearly if you think think at all...however minutely you can think... this is not true.

If there is a god, "he" fears us... "he" is in awe of us... he is dependent and ultimately subordinate to us (as is the master, ultimately, to the slave).

No.

You think therefore you are... and I assure you... so am i.

If that is what you truely elieve then you have no reason to doubt it and other people will believe you. But the minute you show doubt in your own beliefs they stop believing you and think you are fake.

#14New Post! May 27, 2013 @ 21:21:23
@The_Judge Said

I hold up my hand and say I would be a coward becuse I know I would find the pain unbearable and I would rather 1000 people died than me have to CHOOS that sort of pain.

As human we are shallow and self centred. Anything else, you are a different species.

if you had testicular cancer and an orchiectomy would save your life; would you be a coward and die?

Lets try the classic trolley car question.

You are driving a trolley car and the brakes fail.
There are 5 workers on the track and you will hit them and kill them.
There is a side track you could turn on to that has 1 worker on it.
Would you kill the 5 people or and save the one or kill the 1 person and save the 5?

Deleted

#15New Post! May 27, 2013 @ 21:22:57
@Erimitus Said

if you had testicular cancer and an orchiectomy would save your life; would you be a coward and die?

Lets try the classic trolley car question.

You are driving a trolley car and the brakes fail.
There are 5 workers on the track and you will hit them and kill them.
There is a side track you could turn on to that has 1 worker on it.
Would you kill the 5 people or and save the one or kill the 1 person and save the 5?

Would you get a knife and do it yourself if there wasnt a surgeon avaliable?

Now you are getting to the interesting questions. I would kill the one. Better than killing 5. However would I have long enough to analyse the situation.

If a village was being attacked and there was only one boat avaliable, who would you save? You have no weapons to defend the village. The attacker will raoe kill and pillage.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 ...6 7 8 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs