The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Politics:
Abortion

If a 12 year old gets pregnant, is it acceptable for her to get an abortion?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 ...6 7 8 · >>
Kristy69 On September 14, 2014
Carly's Mommy

Underneath the Cyanide Sun....
#1New Post! Sep 28, 2010 @ 10:21:07
Um, YES.
If her body isn't ready for a pregnancy, it could kill her and/or cause irreversable damage to her body.

Plus, she would have absolutely NO chance of supporting a baby on her own (a 16/17 year old could) and there's no way she is remotely mentally prepared.
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Sep 28, 2010 @ 10:33:42
yeah if she wants one, if she doesnt it shouldnt be forced on her.
foosyerdoos On March 10, 2015

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Sep 28, 2010 @ 11:04:33
My opinion is. If a pregnancy is harmful to mental or physical health then abortion is acceptable. In the case of a 12 year old, i think this criteria would be met.
x_Laura_x On April 02, 2024

Nowhere, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Sep 28, 2010 @ 11:23:24
It should be available to her, yes.
plebian_angel On April 25, 2012
Intergalactic hussy

a great future,
#5New Post! Sep 28, 2010 @ 11:41:14
Since it should be available to anyone who wants one, then yes. I can't imagine a 12 year old wanting to go through a pregnancy, but I suppose it could happen. I would not think one should be forced on her however.
Fellie On May 15, 2014

Waipawa, New Zealand
#6New Post! Sep 28, 2010 @ 11:46:43
At the end of the day it's completely up to her. I know I wouldn't keep it in her shoes however some people are strongly against abortion, if she feels that way then it's her right to keep it.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Sep 28, 2010 @ 12:31:18
Just thought of something! If a twelve year old gets pregnant can she choose what's best for her? I don't mean emotionally, I mean legally! Would it be up to the parents, or up to the child?
Intergalactic hussy

a great future,
#8New Post! Sep 28, 2010 @ 12:34:56
@foosyerdoos Said

Just thought of something! If a twelve year old gets pregnant can she choose what's best for her? I don't mean emotionally, I mean legally! Would it be up to the parents, or up to the child?

Not really sure. I mean if she had the kid she would be responsible for it? If the parents wanted to wash their hands of her she'd probably go into the system.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Sep 28, 2010 @ 12:40:11
@plebian_angel Said

Not really sure. I mean if she had the kid she would be responsible for it? If the parents wanted to wash their hands of her she'd probably go into the system.

If she ended up in the "system", could they choose?
Intergalactic hussy

a great future,
#10New Post! Sep 28, 2010 @ 12:45:01
@foosyerdoos Said

If she ended up in the "system", could they choose?

Probably not as they would probably have to sign their parental rights away. I really don't know the laws on abortions well enough to really know.
lynnielou On November 17, 2010

Worthing, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Sep 28, 2010 @ 12:53:05
I think she would be able to make her own mind up, if the parents diagreed I suppose a judge would have to decide, I don't think as parents they could force the child to do anything she didn't want to. I doubt a judge would force her decision either way unless there were medical grounds. I would imagine it would be under social service jurisdiction.
Richard142 On February 15, 2015

Greater London, United Kingdom
#12New Post! Sep 28, 2010 @ 12:55:01
@plebian_angel Said

Since it should be available to anyone who wants one, then yes. I can't imagine a 12 year old wanting to go through a pregnancy, but I suppose it could happen. I would not think one should be forced on her however.

Free will based on informed choice. But as we share such an unequal world then the background that leads to teen age pregnancy needs examination. How much comes from under acheivement at school? That work opportunities and a fuller life seem too remote. Young people should be enabled to enjoy their youth not be forced to take on adult duties.
Intergalactic hussy

a great future,
#13New Post! Sep 28, 2010 @ 12:56:29
@Richard142 Said

Free will based on informed choice. But as we share such an unequal world then the background that leads to teen age pregnancy needs examination. How much comes from under acheivement at school? That work opportunities and a fuller life seem too remote. Young people should be enabled to enjoy their youth not be forced to take on adult duties.

What exactly are you saying? That sounds like alot of stereotypical nonsense in that statement.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
#14New Post! Sep 28, 2010 @ 13:03:53
@lynnielou Said

I think she would be able to make her own mind up, if the parents diagreed I suppose a judge would have to decide, I don't think as parents they could force the child to do anything she didn't want to. I doubt a judge would force her decision either way unless there were medical grounds. I would imagine it would be under social service jurisdiction.

I'm not sure myself. The bit I do know is, at 12 a childs views would have to be legally taken into consideration(in Scotland anyway). But the parents of the 12 year old would retain parental responsibility untill they were removed by a court(very long process). I am just wondering if medical opinion would trump any parental wishes in this case.
glassman55 On November 01, 2010

Deleted

Dingwall, United Kingdom
#15New Post! Sep 28, 2010 @ 13:16:01
@Kristy69 Said

Um, YES.
If her body isn't ready for a pregnancy, it could kill her and/or cause irreversable damage to her body.

Plus, she would have absolutely NO chance of supporting a baby on her own (a 16/17 year old could) and there's no way she is remotely mentally prepared.

I agree fully with the point of the body not being fully 'ready'. But, like everyone, children need to learn the consequences of stupid and unnecessary acts of 'rebellion'such as this. Make abortions available, yes, but if such obscenely young children become pregnant (or indeed anyone below the legal age), then the families of the boy and girl who were responsible should be fined. This would only be due to the fact that the boy and the girl would most likely be incapable of paying it themselves.

This applies only to minors who are BOTH under the legal age.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 ...6 7 8 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs