Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 6 · >>
plebian_angel On April 25, 2012
Intergalactic hussy

a great future,
#31New Post! May 05, 2010 @ 11:21:56
@Suz74 Said

The first thing that came to my mind was animals because of the word breed but yeah I guess it can stand for humans too

Over here in England we have produced quite a few generations of benefit reliants - especially young girls who get pregnant - they get free housing,free rent,money - so for many its a way of life that is far more rewarding than actually paying their own way - I dont mind people who are in GENUINE need of benefits getting help - but the system does get abused by a lot of people who stay on benefits and just keep having children with no intention of getting jobs - this I do not agree with.

I do wonder how long it is til the UK system is broke beyond repair. At least from the outsider, it appears more people get benefits who work, and I realize the unemployment has risen in the last couple years adding to that. Not saying all who are unemployed want to be that way, but seems rewarding teenage girls and encouraging them to actually get pregnant, can't be good for the system?
I know the girls I knew who got pregnant as a teen and had to live with their parents for the most part. They got foodstamps for their kids, but not themselves. i'm not sure how it all works over here tbh. And every state is different on the welfare system too.
Intergalactic hussy

a great future,
#32New Post! May 05, 2010 @ 11:23:00
@jerseydoll Said

so now kids are a privilege, only given to the wealthy or financially secure?

i think when ppl are educated, they may not want so many kids and thus will take the steps to prevent them...EDUCATE THEM and maybe future generations will have one, not six...

and in the case that they are receiving aid from the government, i'm not sure thats incentive to have kids... food stamps and rent big deal... but taking it away... i see more crime and desperation...

I was raised by a single mom and not once did she ever take help from the government! So yes raising kids without government help is possible.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#33New Post! May 05, 2010 @ 11:24:02
Imo people should be allowed to have children and we have no right to tell people if they aren't rich that they can't have them.

There is also the case of unwanted pregnancy, not everyone is willing to go down the abortion road.

The welfare state and infrastructure here is so that things like having children isn't elitist. If it is any way dangerous to the child/children they will be taken away but imo we have no right to say 'you are poor, therefore we will not help you/give child tax credits/ema/free school meals etc because you are too poor to have kids'. Far too elitist.
hellfire0013 On April 23, 2012

Edwardsville, Illinois
#34New Post! May 05, 2010 @ 11:25:35
My first impression would be yes, it applies to people.

My dad was a pastor, and he helped a lot of people work through their problems. There was one lady that had 3 different kids with three different men, and came in and told my dad that she was pregnant again. She almost seemed excited. My dad asked why, to which she replied-
"With the extra money I'll get from the goverment, I'll finally be able to afford a phone!"
Enter my opinion that all stupid ignorant retards that produce just to produce need to be fixed so they stop pissing in the perverbial gene pool.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#35New Post! May 05, 2010 @ 11:27:52
@plebian_angel Said

I do wonder how long it is til the UK system is broke beyond repair. At least from the outsider, it appears more people get benefits who work, and I realize the unemployment has risen in the last couple years adding to that. Not saying all who are unemployed want to be that way, but seems rewarding teenage girls and encouraging them to actually get pregnant, can't be good for the system?
I know the girls I knew who got pregnant as a teen and had to live with their parents for the most part. They got foodstamps for their kids, but not themselves. i'm not sure how it all works over here tbh. And every state is different on the welfare system too.

The UK system certainly isn't broken. The welfare state here is one of the best things about living here. It is equal, indiscriminate and there for everyone.

There are very few who really 'sponge' off the state like the right-wing press will have you believe. Most people in the UK are in employment/education, and even though there is a recession at the moment most people laid off/who can't get jobs are seeking apprenticeships and using government schemes like Sure Start, not to sit and live off benefits, but to try and get back into employment, using benefits to keep them on their feet during the gaps in their employment.

Our welfare state is the thing about the UK I'm most proud of. Unfortunately there will have to be cuts made due to the recession but the cuts the tories want to make to it would be disastrous. Same old nasty party as old.
Intergalactic hussy

a great future,
#36New Post! May 05, 2010 @ 11:29:17
@jmo Said

Imo people should be allowed to have children and we have no right to tell people if they aren't rich that they can't have them.

There is also the case of unwanted pregnancy, not everyone is willing to go down the abortion road.

The welfare state and infrastructure here is so that things like having children isn't elitist. If it is any way dangerous to the child/children they will be taken away but imo we have no right to say 'you are poor, therefore we will not help you/give child tax credits/ema/free school meals etc because you are too poor to have kids'. Far too elitist.

I get what you're saying. I really do, but on the other hand, why should the government have to pay for all these kids? I see both sides. I guess I have too much self respect to ever have kids if I can't afford them myself.
and yeah, stuff happens. But it's the mentality of 'If I have a kid, I get a free ride' that really gets to me.
Intergalactic hussy

a great future,
#37New Post! May 05, 2010 @ 11:29:58
@jmo Said

The UK system certainly isn't broken. The welfare state here is one of the best things about living here. It is equal, indiscriminate and there for everyone.

There are very few who really 'sponge' off the state like the right-wing press will have you believe. Most people in the UK are in employment/education, and even though there is a recession at the moment most people laid off/who can't get jobs are seeking apprenticeships and using government schemes like Sure Start, not to sit and live off benefits, but to try and get back into employment, using benefits to keep them on their feet during the gaps in their employment.

Our welfare state is the thing about the UK I'm most proud of. Unfortunately there will have to be cuts made due to the recession but the cuts the tories want to make to it would be disastrous. Same old nasty party as old.

Ah OK like the republicans here exagerate how many people are on welfare
jerseydoll On December 03, 2010

Hoboken,
#38New Post! May 05, 2010 @ 11:37:40
@plebian_angel Said

I was raised by a single mom and not once did she ever take help from the government! So yes raising kids without government help is possible.

are you agreeing or disagreeing with me. i'm confused
Intergalactic hussy

a great future,
#39New Post! May 05, 2010 @ 11:38:51
@jerseydoll Said

are you agreeing or disagreeing with me. i'm confused

I'm saying you shouldn't have to be rich to have kids, but you should be able to provide the basics. Clue: if you can't even feed yourself, how will you feed a kid?
Suz74 On October 20, 2010

Nottingham, United Kingdom
#40New Post! May 05, 2010 @ 11:39:51
@plebian_angel Said

Well imo it is already broken lol - I think they are now slowly starting to introduce a policy whereby single mothers on benefits will have to be actively looking for work when their youngest child is at the age of 11 - or there benefits will be cut. I dont personally see this as a way forward though because many have become institutionalised and will need a lot of help and guidance in getting back into the workplace - which is already frought.

I will hasten to add that not ALL single mothers take this option - I have lots of single parent friends who absolutely work their arses off to provide without government aid - but in sense they are penalised - like the average working person here is too - I work 40hours a week 5 days a week but I have to pay for dentist,prescription,rent,electrice/heating etc but those on benefits get it all scott free - so where is the incentive to work??

Dont get me wrong I think we do need benefits in place but there should be a cap on it for those people that blatantly abuse it.

Hoboken,
#41New Post! May 05, 2010 @ 11:46:21
@plebian_angel Said

I'm saying you shouldn't have to be rich to have kids, but you should be able to provide the basics. Clue: if you can't even feed yourself, how will you feed a kid?

yes but we don't live in an ideal world...

so i refuse to think that having a child should be exclusive to those who can "afford it."

who sets the standard of being able to afford a child? maybe people think your mother did a terrible job. maybe they look down on your life and the way you grew up... maybe some think a fatherless home is not a fashion to raise children...

my point, yes it would be great if people were more responsible in having children (this is where education makes a difference), however you can't regulate these things without infringing upon rights.
Intergalactic hussy

a great future,
#42New Post! May 05, 2010 @ 11:50:47
@jerseydoll Said

yes but we don't live in an ideal world...

so i refuse to think that having a child should be exclusive to those who can "afford it."

who sets the standard of being able to afford a child? maybe people think your mother did a terrible job. maybe they look down on your life and the way you grew up... maybe some think a fatherless home is not a fashion to raise children...

my point, yes it would be great if people were more responsible in having children (this is where education makes a difference), however you can't regulate these things without infringing upon rights.

I don't give a flip what people think of how I was raised. What burns me is people who use their kids to get a free ride. Hey kiddo, I only had you to get a welfare check..nice, huh?

Hoboken,
#43New Post! May 05, 2010 @ 12:00:38
@plebian_angel Said

@plebian_angel Said

I don't give a flip what people think of how I was raised. What burns me is people who use their kids to get a free ride. Hey kiddo, I only had you to get a welfare check..nice, huh?

i never said ppl couldn't raise kids without welfare. but i believe i addressed the "free ride" case in my first statement. again these people who are on welfare, i doubt are getting pregnant to get on it. it's really not much money.
@jerseydoll Said

and in the case that they are receiving aid from the government, i'm not sure thats incentive to have kids... food stamps and rent big deal... but taking it away... i see more crime and desperation...
Intergalactic hussy

a great future,
#44New Post! May 05, 2010 @ 12:02:27
@jerseydoll Said

i never said ppl couldn't raise kids without welfare. but i believe i addressed the "free ride" case in my first statement. again these people who are on welfare, i doubt are getting pregnant to get on it. it's really not much money.

Peopel actually do have kids to get welfare. The more kids they have, the more money. This has been going on for years. There is an example of this in this thread a few posts up.
i've known people who do that. They don't want to work, so they live off of child support and welfare. These are the people I'm ranting against.

Hoboken,
#45New Post! May 05, 2010 @ 12:12:09
@plebian_angel Said

Peopel actually do have kids to get welfare. The more kids they have, the more money. This has been going on for years. There is an example of this in this thread a few posts up.
i've known people who do that. They don't want to work, so they live off of child support and welfare. These are the people I'm ranting against.

so i guess this is where education would be effective... because if that's true that's just dumb
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 6 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs