The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Religion & Philosophy

If Bible is true -- can "Only begotten son" -- also be true?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
4000Earthquakes On April 25, 2009

Banned

Joshua Tree, California
#1New Post! Oct 15, 2008 @ 16:01:19
If Christianity claims on one hand, that Jesus was "the only begotten son".

And if Christianity claims on the other hand that "Every word in the bible is true".

So discuss Genesis 6-1:

"And it came to pass, when men began to multiply on the face of the earth, and daughters were born unto them,

That the sons of God saw the daughters of men, that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose...
"

It's saying in Genesis 6 -- that God already had sons.
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#2New Post! Oct 15, 2008 @ 16:05:16
Semantics and translational differences.

And "Christianity" doesn't "claim" anything. Christianity is an umbrella term for a dozen different major religions that all have unique views and beliefs, especially about the veracity of the Bible.

"Christianity" doesn't "claim" that "Every word in the Bible is true."

Banned

Joshua Tree, California
#3New Post! Oct 15, 2008 @ 16:09:46
I was raised "Christian". I know what Christianity claims. Or used to claim. Maybe they've changed their claims? So then, what can you believe if they change their claims every few years?
BeTTyBeLL On November 28, 2010
made just right

Kosciusko, Mississippi
#4New Post! Oct 15, 2008 @ 16:09:55
@4000earthquakes Said

Christianity claims on one hand, that Jesus was "the only begotten son".

Christianity claims on the other hand that "Every word in the bible is true".

So explain this: Genesis 6-1

"And it came to pass, when men began to multiply on the face of the earth, and daughters were born unto them,

That the sons of God saw the daughters of men, that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose...
"

It's saying in that God already had sons.

Genesis 6 is a cryptic passage just before the account of the worldwide Flood. The event of Genesis 6:2-5 was one of the major factors leading to the wickedness before the Flood. Moses writes that the ?sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took then wives of all which they chose? (Gen. 6:2). Their offspring became a race called the Nephilim, who became the heroes of ancient lore.

There are actually three theories that have been proposed as to the identity of the ?sons of God.? The least likely theory is that the ?sons of God? were dynastic rulers. The appeal of this position is that it smooths away the difficulty of the passage rather easily. The ?daughters of men? are believed to be commoners. The reason for God?s judgment was the sin of polygamy. The Aramaic targums favor this view.

A second view holds that the ?sons of God? were fallen angels who cohabited with humans to produce a hybrid race of ?Nephilim? (Gen. 6:4).

The KJV translates the Hebrew as ?giants? rather than ?fallen ones,? as it should be rendered. Nevertheless, the mention of ?giants? is argued to support the view of a superhuman race from angels and mortals marrying since ungodly men and godly women marry all the time but do not produce giants. Additional support is that Christ said angels do not marry in heaven, but He did not say that they cannot marry
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#5New Post! Oct 15, 2008 @ 16:12:33
@4000earthquakes Said

I was raised "Christian". I know what Christianity claims. Or used to claim. Maybe they've changed their claims? So then, what can you believe if they change their claims every few years?

Then you know what your denomination, or your particular preacher, claims.

No one speaks for all of "Christianity." No one. Catholicism, Anglicism, Baptist, etc etc, all have different and often highly contradictory interpretations of, and legitimate claim to, the term Christianity.
made just right

Kosciusko, Mississippi
#6New Post! Oct 15, 2008 @ 16:15:37
@jonnythan Said

Then you know what your denomination, or your particular preacher, claims.

No one speaks for all of "Christianity." No one. Catholicism, Anglicism, Baptist, etc etc, all have different and often highly contradictory interpretations of, and legitimate claim to, the term Christianity.

Excellent post Jon..
Wheezy_Knight On February 24, 2012

Deleted

Ankh-Morpork, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Oct 15, 2008 @ 16:21:18
@BeTTyBeLL Said

Genesis 6 is a cryptic passage just before the account of the worldwide Flood. The event of Genesis 6:2-5 was one of the major factors leading to the wickedness before the Flood. Moses writes that the ?sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took then wives of all which they chose? (Gen. 6:2). Their offspring became a race called the Nephilim, who became the heroes of ancient lore.

There are actually three theories that have been proposed as to the identity of the ?sons of God.? The least likely theory is that the ?sons of God? were dynastic rulers. The appeal of this position is that it smooths away the difficulty of the passage rather easily. The ?daughters of men? are believed to be commoners. The reason for God?s judgment was the sin of polygamy. The Aramaic targums favor this view.

A second view holds that the ?sons of God? were fallen angels who cohabited with humans to produce a hybrid race of ?Nephilim? (Gen. 6:4).

The KJV translates the Hebrew as ?giants? rather than ?fallen ones,? as it should be rendered. Nevertheless, the mention of ?giants? is argued to support the view of a superhuman race from angels and mortals marrying since ungodly men and godly women marry all the time but do not produce giants. Additional support is that Christ said angels do not marry in heaven, but He did not say that they cannot marry

I've not heard all three theories (Though I have heard of Nephilim)

But taking that the Judeans/Israelites/whatever are the "chosen ones" is it possible that they are the "Sons of God" and the "daughters of men"...are just about anyone else?
made just right

Kosciusko, Mississippi
#8New Post! Oct 15, 2008 @ 16:26:45
@Wheezy_Knight Said

I've not heard all three theories (Though I have heard of Nephilim)

But taking that the Judeans/Israelites/whatever are the "chosen ones" is it possible that they are the "Sons of God" and the "daughters of men"...are just about anyone else?

Anything is possible with a two thousand year old book and story...anything!! that is why christians have so many varying accounts of what a christian is or should do. Some believe in faiths, some believe in works, some believe in both, some believe confessing you sin to preist, and some don't...This is annother reason why christianity did not work for me, I'd be more apt to believe something if those who shared the faith could come to anagreement themselves.

Banned

Joshua Tree, California
#9New Post! Oct 15, 2008 @ 16:33:15
When I was a kid, it became clear to me that if you have 100 different religions claiming 100 different things...
made just right

Kosciusko, Mississippi
#10New Post! Oct 15, 2008 @ 16:35:05
@4000earthquakes Said

When I was a kid, it became clear to me that if you have 100 different religions claiming 100 different things...

yes and? you left this open like you were not finished with the your statement...

Banned

Joshua Tree, California
#11New Post! Oct 15, 2008 @ 16:39:49
I left it open because I figured it didn't need finishing.
Let people finish that sentence for themselves.
made just right

Kosciusko, Mississippi
#12New Post! Oct 15, 2008 @ 16:44:45
well ok then, just checking
Wheezy_Knight On February 24, 2012

Deleted

Ankh-Morpork, United Kingdom
#13New Post! Oct 15, 2008 @ 16:46:53
@4000earthquakes Said

Then you have the perfect setting for American TV Evangelist channels.

8)
calonso On January 16, 2014

Orlando, Florida
#14New Post! Oct 15, 2008 @ 16:56:02
It says the Jesus was God's only begotten son. The word begotten as in procreation. This means the Jesus is the only one that was born in the flesh.

Banned

Joshua Tree, California
#15New Post! Oct 15, 2008 @ 18:31:37
How do you think the others were born?
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs