Politics

IMPORTANT: Do not post copyrighted material

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 · >>
Richard142 On February 15, 2015

Greater London, United Kingdom
#16New Post! Aug 24, 2009 @ 22:01:48
I've cut and pasted bits but allways as a quote and sourse given. It has been suggested that I put the ideas into my words both showing that I understand what I post and avoiding the need to quote. While I think this is a good suggestion by quoting another site then this promotes others to visit. What I don't like is members to just put a link in, I want a summary at least so I can choose to visit, or not. However I think there should be open soueces for knowledge. No price tags please [especially for free sites like tfs].
El_Tino On October 12, 2023
booyaka!

Albuquerque, New Mexico
#17New Post! Aug 24, 2009 @ 22:02:45
@chrill Said

The issue with that statement is that the owner of this website, supposedly you, is responsible of anything in it. You'd be the target of any legal action, which makes it most important for admins to keep these things away from the forum

No, the digital millenium copyright act protects service providers as long as they promptly remove allegedly infringing materials upon notice from the copyright owner.

Maybe laws are different in Sweden, I don't know.
deeFXCKINGjay On January 21, 2012
Bannned

, Kazakhstan
#18New Post! Aug 24, 2009 @ 22:04:41
@eL_TinO Said

No, the digital millenium copyright act protects service providers as long as they promptly remove allegedly infringing materials upon notice from the copyright owner.

Well, that act won't effect them, whether they have a similar law, idk.
Chrill On August 01, 2022
Gesundheit

Järfälla, Sweden
#19New Post! Aug 24, 2009 @ 22:04:56
Those laws are universal, as far as I know. Unless you remove them as quick as you can, you can get in trouble.

What I meant is, if it's not removed, there will not be legal action against a member, it's aimed at the owner of the website. Which is why, if it is removed (or even better, posted properly), there's no real issue
boxerdc On December 18, 2012

Deleted

#20New Post! Aug 24, 2009 @ 22:05:55
@eL_TinO Said

In Sweden, if you plagiarize, you have to pay the fines in lingonberries.

(sorry, I'm in an extremely silly mood today).
booyaka!

Albuquerque, New Mexico
#21New Post! Aug 24, 2009 @ 22:07:16
@chrill Said

Those laws are universal, as far as I know. Unless you remove them as quick as you can, you can get in trouble.

What I meant is, if it's not removed, there will not be legal action against a member, it's aimed at the owner of the website.

Whether it's removed or not, there could be legal action against the member. There would only be legal action against the site if it wasn't removed upon request.

Quote:
Which is why, if it is removed (or even better, posted properly), there's no real issue

Hence this post.
TrOoPs On April 02, 2010

Deleted
Banned

, United Kingdom
#22New Post! Aug 24, 2009 @ 22:10:01
@deefXckingjay Said

So, wouldn't that mean that we're not allowed to post music from youtube.

@eL_TinO Said

Post all the youtube videos you want. Google makes deals with the copyright owner to allow that.

I'm so glad you said that! after the trouble I've had trying to past YT vids
Chrill On August 01, 2022
Gesundheit

Järfälla, Sweden
#23New Post! Aug 24, 2009 @ 22:10:29
In that case, I thank you for clearing this up to me
unspokenwords On October 16, 2019

#24New Post! Aug 24, 2009 @ 22:55:28
thank god I always follow these rules but wait, you can't quote the whole article? lol
mike_n_manda On April 05, 2016

, United Kingdom
#25New Post! Aug 24, 2009 @ 23:05:50
another words, quote what you like within reasonable acceptability,.... then make up your own crap after just to make a point lol
fatman On May 30, 2010

asheville, North Carolina
#26New Post! Aug 28, 2009 @ 19:09:43
Just to be clear: I cut and paste stuff that I have written over the years. This stuff may or may not have appeared elsewhere and some of it is registered under the copyright act, but I am the author of it all. Am I still in the clear, and in good standing with the site's practices?
booyaka!

Albuquerque, New Mexico
#27New Post! Aug 28, 2009 @ 23:04:27
@fatman Said

Just to be clear: I cut and paste stuff that I have written over the years. This stuff may or may not have appeared elsewhere and some of it is registered under the copyright act, but I am the author of it all. Am I still in the clear, and in good standing with the site's practices?

Yes, you are allowed to post anything you wrote and have the rights to (like you didn't sell an article to a 3rd party who now controls the rights).
Mysteria On May 19, 2014
I Am Rogue!

A Small Town, Texas
#28New Post! Aug 28, 2009 @ 23:12:56
I post my poetry. I have no idea if someone else is using it or not. It's not copyrighted, but I did, indeed, write it. Hopefully, there's no problem with that.
booyaka!

Albuquerque, New Mexico
#29New Post! Aug 28, 2009 @ 23:14:22
@Mysteria Said

I post my poetry. I have no idea if someone else is using it or not. It's not copyrighted, but I did, indeed, write it. Hopefully, there's no problem with that.

yes that's fine
carrell001 On May 28, 2010

Banned

Leesburg,
#30New Post! Jan 01, 2010 @ 07:47:06
https://www.umuc.edu/library/copy.shtml#fairuse

@umuc. edu Said
The amount and substantiality of the portion used:
* The more you use, the less likely it will be considered fair use.
* Does the amount you use exceed a reasonable expectation? If it approaches 50 percent of the entire work, it is likely to be considered an unfair use of the copyrighted work.
* Is the particular portion used likely to adversely affect the author's economic gain? If you use the "heart" or "essence" of a work, it is less likely your use will be considered fair.

There you go. Fair use amounts somewhat covered there.
Another site I go to considers 65 words the fair use limit.
You should be able to summarise what you're quoting though.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs