Animal Rights

I will never stop eating meat...

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 ...10 11 12 · >>
rogy On June 03, 2013

, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Jun 24, 2011 @ 22:56:44
On another thread, "CommanderBacon" said: "I will never stop eating meat, no matter how many videos or pictures you show me of supposed animal mistreatment. The animals were born and bred for the sole purpose of people eating them. Are humans wrong for eating meat? Are tigers wrong for eating meat? Given the chance, a tiger can and will and even HAVE eaten humans.

"Eating meat is in the human nature just as much as eating vegetables is. Some people may find it repulsive to eat animal flesh. I dont. If you are going to come into a thread and start talking about how eating flesh is wrong and killing animals is wrong, then take it to the proper thread and dont come into our territory."

1. "Supposed animal mistreatment." Most people, when they actually see what goes on, for example, in slaughterhouses, agree that mistreatment occurs - even in "well-run" abattoirs. From an animal rights point of view, flesh eating is a rights violation, so it is not just a case of how nonhuman animals are treatment while they are being used, it is about using them in the first place.

2. "The animals were born and bred for the sole purpose of people eating them." This is true, we deliberately breed billions of animals in order to exploit them.

3. "Are humans wrong for eating meat? Are tigers wrong for eating meat? Given the chance, a tiger can and will and even HAVE eaten humans." Arguments about the wrongness of humans eating meat have nothing to do with the fact that tigers are natural carnivores. We do not believe that tigers have a choice in the matter - they are not moral agents. Human beings are regarded as moral agents, meaning we understand the difference between right and wrong and we can understand and act on moral principles and rules. We do take our moral lessons from tigers as a general matter, so we need not here.

4. "Eating meat is in the human nature just as much as eating vegetables is. Some people may find it repulsive to eat animal flesh. I dont." While we may think that nonhuman animals are trapped by their natures (a view held less and less in recent times), we think that human animals can transcend nature. We are not driven to eat meat. The ethical case against the human consumption of flesh is ~not~ about being repulsed.

5. "If you are going to come into a thread and start talking about how eating flesh is wrong and killing animals is wrong, then take it to the proper thread and dont come into our territory." I think the notion of "territory" is an interesting one but, in any event, I have moved your comment here in order to reply.

rogY
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Jun 24, 2011 @ 23:00:41
Its the entire point of the animal rights forum.

I do not entirely agree with you Rogy about veganism and vegetarianism. However I respect your belief and I am happy to read what you write.

Which thread was it? Just out of interest, im not being a moderator, just wondering.
rogy On June 03, 2013

, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Jun 24, 2011 @ 23:03:44
@treebee Said

Its the entire point of the animal rights forum.

I do not entirely agree with you Rogy about veganism and vegetarianism. However I respect your belief and I am happy to read what you write.

Which thread was it? Just out of interest, im not being a moderator, just wondering.

It was in the Food & Drink section in a thread about "pork."

rogY
Wellard On April 29, 2012
ect.. .

Deleted

In your Mind, Cape Verde
#4New Post! Jun 24, 2011 @ 23:05:33
Sorry but loool love the uSerNaM3 "CommanderBacon"
blind_chameleon On January 10, 2012

Canton, New York
#5New Post! Jul 07, 2011 @ 05:34:52
if people stopped eating meat, pigs, chickens, and cows would go extinct...
rogy On June 03, 2013

, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Jul 07, 2011 @ 10:25:31
@blind_chameleon Said

if people stopped eating meat, pigs, chickens, and cows would go extinct...

Yes, that would be terrible, wouldn't it?

rogY
someone_else On August 30, 2012
Not a dude.

Deleted

American Alps, Washington
#7New Post! Jul 11, 2011 @ 23:45:21
@rogy Said

Yes, that would be terrible, wouldn't it?

rogY

Well if such animals are concerned with their existence then I suppose it would be terrible. You can't have it both ways.
bob_the_fisherman On January 30, 2023
Anatidaephobic

, Angola
#8New Post! Jul 18, 2011 @ 22:42:23
@rogy Said

1. "Supposed animal mistreatment." Most people, when they actually see what goes on, for example, in slaughterhouses, agree that mistreatment occurs - even in "well-run" abattoirs. From an animal rights point of view, flesh eating is a rights violation, so it is not just a case of how nonhuman animals are treatment while they are being used, it is about using them in the first place.

Having worked in an abattoir, I can honestly say that if I had to choose my method of death, it would be at human hands in an abattoir, as opposed to, say, being killed in the wild by a shark, crocodile, tiger etc etc etc...

Humans are the only animals I know of that kill humanely - yet libbers still whine about it.

@rogy Said
2. "The animals were born and bred for the sole purpose of people eating them." This is true, we deliberately breed billions of animals in order to exploit them.

They are being eaten, not exploited.

@rogy Said
3. "Are humans wrong for eating meat? Are tigers wrong for eating meat? Given the chance, a tiger can and will and even HAVE eaten humans." Arguments about the wrongness of humans eating meat have nothing to do with the fact that tigers are natural carnivores. We do not believe that tigers have a choice in the matter - they are not moral agents. Human beings are regarded as moral agents, meaning we understand the difference between right and wrong and we can understand and act on moral principles and rules. We do take our moral lessons from tigers as a general matter, so we need not here.

Sadly, with the use of any kind of nature argument a libber falls into the realm of total incomprehensibility. If naturalism is the rule you wish to employ, then, humans naturally eat meat, and thus, eating meat is not a moral issue, unless you are arguing that morality is unnatural or opposed to nature.

@rogy Said
4. "Eating meat is in the human nature just as much as eating vegetables is. Some people may find it repulsive to eat animal flesh. I dont." While we may think that nonhuman animals are trapped by their natures (a view held less and less in recent times), we think that human animals can transcend nature. We are not driven to eat meat. The ethical case against the human consumption of flesh is ~not~ about being repulsed.

Again, this is literally incoherent. Humans are incapable of "transcending nature", unless you are arguing that we are supernatural, as opposed to natural, beings.
HiImDan On February 29, 2024

Cleveland, the boil on the but
#9New Post! Jul 18, 2011 @ 22:59:51
@bob_the_fisherman Said

Having worked in an abattoir, I can honestly say that if I had to choose my method of death, it would be at human hands in an abattoir, as opposed to, say, being killed in the wild by a shark, crocodile, tiger etc etc etc...

Humans are the only animals I know of that kill humanely - yet libbers still whine about it.

Or a monitor lizard
Fellie On May 15, 2014

Waipawa, New Zealand
#10New Post! Jul 18, 2011 @ 23:30:13
Just wondering since the main problem with eating meat seems to be the mistreatment of the animals and breeding them with the sole purpose to eat does that mean it's acceptable for me to go out and hunt my own?
mark_is_god On June 26, 2015

antrim, Ireland
#11New Post! Jul 18, 2011 @ 23:50:29
i have no intention to stop eating meat.

i have no reason to stop, its not morally wrong.
and other factors such as mistreatment whilst unfortunate are not enough to change the generally consensus that eating meat is morally ok.
chisa96 On December 29, 2014
Supreme Goddess

Out in Nature, Wisconsin
#12New Post! Jul 18, 2011 @ 23:53:20
@Fellie Said

Just wondering since the main problem with eating meat seems to be the mistreatment of the animals and breeding them with the sole purpose to eat does that mean it's acceptable for me to go out and hunt my own?

It would still be considered a violation of their right to live.
chief_big On June 12, 2013

haggisville, United Kingdom
#13New Post! Jul 18, 2011 @ 23:56:09
From an objective point of view it is beneficial to not eat meant, the energy conversion from eating plants works out cheaper.
It's something you get 10 percent from plants because of the cell wall and 20 from animals, but considering we feed them on plants it works out cheaper.
More room to grow food less hungry hungry hippos and humans, i don't mind stopping if everyone else does.......... they don't make beer from cows right?
Fellie On May 15, 2014

Waipawa, New Zealand
#14New Post! Jul 18, 2011 @ 23:58:36
@chisa96 Said

It would still be considered a violation of their right to live.

True but animals also take away our right to live because they are hungry. (which you've probably heard used as an argument millions of times but it seemed apt)
chisa96 On December 29, 2014
Supreme Goddess

Out in Nature, Wisconsin
#15New Post! Jul 19, 2011 @ 00:00:50
@Fellie Said

True but animals also take away our right to live because they are hungry. (which you've probably heard used as an argument millions of times but it seemed apt)

Not my argument, but humans are considered moral agents and have the capacity for higher thought and reasoning. Other animals have only their instincts so they cannot be expected to know what's right and wrong.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 ...10 11 12 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs