Writing

I need a catchy hook for an essay...

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
x33babyy On August 08, 2009

dontwanagetraped,
#1New Post! Nov 13, 2008 @ 21:59:33
I'm writing an essay on the book " Farenheight 451".

(F451 is a book dealing with how technology is "taking over the economy". In the book, firemen burn houses intstead of putting fire out. It has alot to do with censorship. )

so the topic of the essay is how technology is taking over, basically.

any creative takers?
please please please?!
LedZap On January 28, 2010

Deleted

In a nightmare,
#2New Post! Nov 13, 2008 @ 22:04:52
It's a story of the living books.
newmexicodan On September 15, 2023

roswell,
#3New Post! Nov 13, 2008 @ 22:21:38
How about-Books contain independent thoughts and ideas and nothing is more threatening to those who want to control everything.
jinks On May 17, 2009

Deleted

no place in particular,
#4New Post! Nov 13, 2008 @ 22:30:48
Corrective hats not an option ...
goatboy On September 25, 2011

, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Nov 13, 2008 @ 22:34:30
@x33babyy Said

(F451 is a book dealing with how technology is "taking over the economy". In the book, firemen burn houses intstead of putting fire out. It has alot to do with censorship. )

any creative takers?
please please please?!

ok I will give this one a shot for you...

Although I haven't read the text in question I'm fairly well versed in such matters, and perhaps a way to approach this essay would be to test the supposition of the text; i.e that technology is a negative, almost parasitic influence to modern society. You could perhaps expand this beyond the text by exploring some negative aspects of our technological advances, such as utter reliance upon it and the limitations of this factor. As well as that I'd discuss how technology is presently being driven as a tool for the surpression of common humanity, whether it be by the invention of chat rooms replacing human contact, or whether it is in the form of wire taps etc being used to invade our privacy by governments positively Orwellian in their pursuit of power.

I know you'd then have to scale it down to talk about the economy, but that's a mute point in this instance in my opinion, and perhaps the question could be expanded beyond the remit of the text.

Hope that's of some use
skottie On September 23, 2009

Deleted

, Texas
#6New Post! Nov 13, 2008 @ 23:30:23
maybe you can use the obama slogan and say it is a 'time for change' from the current technology.
SingleMinds On January 27, 2009

Montreal, Canada
#7New Post! Nov 13, 2008 @ 23:33:43
Call it "Four alarms for freedom" and then do some research by checking out the following citations.

Quote:
Aldous Huxley 1962 Trasnscript of Speech at Berkley

https://www.softsphereconsulting.com/gselzler/blog/Huxley1962.aspx

Eisenhower's "Military Industrial Speech" when he left office:

Quote:
Military-Industrial Complex Speech, Dwight D. Eisenhower, 1961

trix.msu.edu/~hst306/documents/indust.html

You might also want to research Operation Northwoods, as well :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Northwoods

You could also go over to Google video, and watch a BBC documentary called "The Power Of Nightmares".

Then you can tie in that vision of the future quite well with what's illustrated in the book, by placing it against the reality of what we've come to know since then.
duploshoes On March 03, 2009

Deleted

Leicester, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Nov 17, 2008 @ 13:13:34
@x33babyy Said

any creative takers?
please please please?!

Actually, Farenheit 451 is more about the dumming down of society and the use of technology to stop people thinking for themselves. Books are a danger which is why they are burnt by the fire brigade. The houses are fireproofed and book burning is the only thing firemen engage in.
I'd call my essay Gigabyte 451, possibly. Maybe have a hook about burning DVDs.

If you haven't seen the movie Farenheit 451 then do yourself a favour - It's a hidden gem.
jlwcatdog On February 10, 2010

Texas,
#9New Post! Nov 22, 2008 @ 03:14:06
Fahrenheit 451 and Technology bookrags has a short essay on this
If you google "fahrenheit 451 technology" you will get search results that show a mini guide from hrw that has the following: Technology can isolate people and inhibit the sharing of thoughts, ideas, and emotions. Hope this helps!
Machspeed On August 01, 2009

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
#10New Post! Dec 06, 2008 @ 20:00:08
For a title how about `Ghost in the Machine' after the eighties pop album by the recently reformed band `The Police'.
lovelybones On December 17, 2010

Toronto, Canada
#11New Post! Dec 16, 2010 @ 23:22:10
I need a hook for a essay about how the Deaf should go to deaf schools so they can feel accepted. It is important and catchy i really need it
Rehabilitation_Please On May 20, 2016
Has Tiger Blood

Peterborough, United Kingdom
#12New Post! Dec 16, 2010 @ 23:28:04
I need a hook to finally complete my Pirate costume.
JaneDevin On January 05, 2011

Deleted

Anaheim, California
#13New Post! Dec 17, 2010 @ 13:02:00
I agree with Mr Shoes. I don't see how Fahrenheit 451 has anything to do with technology. If anything it's a Lacedaemonian nightmare, which sends the world back more than 2000 years.

The book is a kind of allegory about the time in which it was written. Since World War Two, headlines in newspapers had continually warned the public about Russian spies, some real and some imaginary. The federal government had begun requiring loyalty oaths. Many people were damaged in the hysteria.

August 3, 1948 ? Whitaker Chambers accuses Alger Hiss of spying for Soviet Union

1949 ? Lyndon Johnson slanders Leland Olds as a Communist.

August 29, 1949 ? first Russian atomic test

October 1949 Communist Party takes control of China,

1949 - Lyndon Johnson calls Leland Olds a communist

January1950 ? Alger Hiss convicted of perjury in connection with spying

January 1950 ? Klaus Fuchs confesses spying for Russians

February 1950 ? Joe McCarthy begins his communist witch hunt

June 1950 ? Korean War begins

Summer of 1950 ? Richard Nixon slanders Hellen Gahagan Douglas as a communist

February 1951 ? Ray Bradbury publishes a version Fahrenheit 451

March 6, 1951 ? Rosenberg espionage trial begins. Confessed spies Harry Gold and David Greenglass testify

1952 ? Elia Kazan testifies about Communist influence in Hollywood.

June 19, 1953 ? Julius Rosenberg executed for espionage

1953 ? Bradbury publishes later version of Fahrenheit 451

1954 ? Bradbury publishes serialized version published in Playboy

1954 - Battle of Dien Bien Phu in Vietnam

One might wonder if people at the time thought that the world was burning down, so why not a book about book burning.
ThePainefulTruth On May 06, 2013
Verum est Deus

Deleted

Peoria, Arizona
#14New Post! Dec 17, 2010 @ 14:12:15
This is the Wiki synopsis, which is the way I remember it:

"Fahrenheit 451 is a dystopian novel by Ray Bradbury which was first published in a shorter form as "The Fireman" (Galaxy Science Fiction, Vol. 1 No. 5, February 1951). The short novel presents a future American society in which the masses are hedonistic and critical thought through reading is outlawed. The central character, Guy Montag, is employed as a "fireman" (which, in this future, means "bookburner" ). The novel's title refers to the supposed temperature at which book paper combusts."

Hedonism, outlawed critical thought and book burning are the main points.

One thought that captures all three is "Burn It to the Ground", after the Nickleback song of the same name, to wit:
Burn all restraint, reject thought in favor of manic euphoric rebellion, Incinerate!.

Other connections, both from the Dark Knight:

Alfred's comment--"Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn."

And the Joker's own version of Fahrenheit 451, incinerating paper....money.

There ought to be a trigger in there somewhere (suggestions for title/hook in bold).

BTW, that's my favorite song/music video. I guess I look at it as an orchestrated temporary dystopia (love that word), only up to the verge, leading to cathartic regurgitation rather than a permanent scorched earth.

What's the Temperature in Hell?--Fahrenheit 451.
JaneDevin On January 05, 2011

Deleted

Anaheim, California
#15New Post! Dec 17, 2010 @ 15:00:13
Just a note about the temperature of Hell.

In Dante's The Comedy, the temperature of Hell varies from very hot to below freezing.

In the Odyssey, Ulysses goes to see Hercules in Hell, but the wandering Greek doesn't mention a temperature. That must have been before the beginning of global warming.

Dr Faustus went to Hell, but he has not come back to speak of the temperature.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs