Health & Fitness

I'm going to tell you how to lose weight

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 ...8 9 10 · >>
ericmknight1906 On December 15, 2011

Daytona Beach, Florida
#1New Post! Aug 17, 2010 @ 18:41:02
Don't eat blind. Always, I repeat Always read labels, especially when grocery shopping. Food companies will advertise something as healthy but the ingredients label will say the exact opposite.

Step #1 Cut all refined sugar from your diet. I am convinced from personal experience that PROCESSED SUGAR is the main culprit for weight gain! Natural sugar from fruit is the exception. (eating food in its natural form is fine.)

98% of the food in the grocery store has some type of refined sugar in it.

Step #2 Stay clear of Starchy foods, (i.e. pasta, potatoes, white bread,)

Step #3 Drink Water!! If you must flavor it, then use lemon juice. Crystal lite is okay but be warned! Crystal Lite makes you hungry and crave sweets, which is the exact opposite of what we are trying to accomplish. If you must eat sweets, then grab an apple, some grapes, or make some carrot juice.

Step #4 Eat fried food in moderation. Everybody thinks that fried food is horrible. But I beg to differ as long as its in moderation

Step #5 Exercise! And you don't have to be a triathlete. Just going for walks around the neighborhood is good.

I guess what I'm basically suggesting is a semi-atkins diet. I know that the atkins does work. However, its an unrealistic diet that's only meant to give you a boost, in my opinion. Its obsured to fathom eliminating all carbs, even fruit!! Who wants to live on ham n eggs for the rest of their lives???

I'm about 5'10" and was 230lbs. I started eating the way as mentioned above. Now I'm down to 221 in less than a weeks time.
It's a gradual and realistic diet that you can actually make part of your life style. Your appetite for junk food will quickly deminish after a couple of days. You will feel mentally and physically better in a couple of days time.
My goal is to get down to between 200-205. Any less weight, and I will look crackish. If I drop below 200 then I'll eat a bowl of pasta for a couple days to get my weight back up.

This method definetly works for me...But I think that it will work for anybody. It's all about the refined Sugar.

PROCESSED SUGAR is BAD!!! Cut this out of your diet and you will see the pounds come off.
ssnot_me On February 01, 2016

big D, Texas
#2New Post! Aug 17, 2010 @ 18:42:06
mmmm sugar. I could go for a bag of skittles right now
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#3New Post! Aug 17, 2010 @ 18:44:15
Meh. Telling people to lose weight by simply not eating their favorite foods is a recipe for disaster.

Poor advice IMO.
x_Laura_x On March 13, 2023

Nowhere, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Aug 17, 2010 @ 18:45:55
Surely losing 9lbs a week isn't good...
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#5New Post! Aug 17, 2010 @ 18:47:34
@x_Laura_x Said

With certain changes in eating habits, initial weight loss when starting a diet can be very high. 9 lbs is quite a lot, but not outside the realm of reason, especially when you factor in things like time of day, hydration level, bowel movements, etc.
foosyerdoos On March 10, 2015

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Aug 17, 2010 @ 18:48:30
Would eat less walk more not have the same effect then? And be a wee bit simpler.
sTreetAngeL On January 24, 2022
root tedt ree

in a paradox,
#7New Post! Aug 17, 2010 @ 18:50:21
@x_Laura_x Said

That's what I was thinking..surely, that much in a month would be deemed good? Also, most of that weight I bet, in that short a time is water loss.
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#8New Post! Aug 17, 2010 @ 18:51:03
@foosyerdoos Said

Would eat less walk more not have the same effect then? And be a wee bit simpler.

Yeah.

Losing weight is really, really simple. Eat less, exercise more. Fewer calories and more exercise equals weight loss. Cutting things like high-fat and high-sugar items are generally good ways to consume fewer calories, but there's no need at all to drop them entirely.

Denying yourself something you really enjoy is not sustainable.

Nowhere, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Aug 17, 2010 @ 19:00:53
@jonnythan Said

With certain changes in eating habits, initial weight loss when starting a diet can be very high. 9 lbs is quite a lot, but not outside the realm of reason, especially when you factor in things like time of day, hydration level, bowel movements, etc.

Ah OK, I had noticed that with weight loss actually but 9lbs seemed like a lot!

I've always been under the impression that losing weight quickly, like crash dieting, is bad because you'll pile it all back on when you stop? Or is that a myth? I'm kinda clueless about this whole weightloss thing, I've just been substituting s***ty things in my diet for good things and walking everywhere
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#10New Post! Aug 17, 2010 @ 19:09:24
@x_Laura_x Said

Ah OK, I had noticed that with weight loss actually but 9lbs seemed like a lot!

I've always been under the impression that losing weight quickly, like crash dieting, is bad because you'll pile it all back on when you stop? Or is that a myth? I'm kinda clueless about this whole weightloss thing, I've just been substituting s***ty things in my diet for good things and walking everywhere

It is and it isn't. Depends on what the "crash diet" consists of.

If you're currently scarfing down 3500 calories a day then suddenly limit yourself to 1750 of healthier foods, is that a crash diet? You could easily lose 10-15 pounds a month depending on your body composition and exercise levels. But that 1750 calories is a healthy, sustainable amount if you're hitting your nutrient targets.

If the "crash diet" is "no carbs" or "only grapefruit and cayenne pepper" or something stupid like that, then yes, once your "diet" is over you will go right back to your old eating habits and put the weight right back on.

The entire point of a "diet" is to alter your normal eating habits into a new normal. That's why I don't like using the word "diet," even though it's technically correct. It brings to mind grapefruit and Atkins diets that are silly and unsustainable. You want to find new eating patterns that work for you - new foods, new portion sizes, new eating times, etc. Giving up everything you love is ridiculous and will never work. My diet still contains pizza, hamburgers, Doritos, and candy bars, but I'm still losing weight with it.

Nowhere, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Aug 17, 2010 @ 19:18:32
@jonnythan Said

It is and it isn't. Depends on what the "crash diet" consists of.

If you're currently scarfing down 3500 calories a day then suddenly limit yourself to 1750 of healthier foods, is that a crash diet? You could easily lose 10-15 pounds a month depending on your body composition and exercise levels. But that 1750 calories is a healthy, sustainable amount if you're hitting your nutrient targets.

If the "crash diet" is "no carbs" or "only grapefruit and cayenne pepper" or something stupid like that, then yes, once your "diet" is over you will go right back to your old eating habits and put the weight right back on.

The entire point of a "diet" is to alter your normal eating habits into a new normal. That's why I don't like using the word "diet," even though it's technically correct. It brings to mind grapefruit and Atkins diets that are silly and unsustainable. You want to find new eating patterns that work for you - new foods, new portion sizes, new eating times, etc. Giving up everything you love is ridiculous and will never work. My diet still contains pizza, hamburgers, Doritos, and candy bars, but I'm still losing weight with it.

3500 calories A DAY The worrying thing is that people actually do eat that much I always thought the term "crash diet" applied to the eating habits of people like Lindsay Lohan or whatever... I didn't realise it could apply to the person halving their intake from 3,500 calories.

I couldn't ever limit my diet to something like "no carbs". Those people must be so miserable.
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#12New Post! Aug 17, 2010 @ 19:20:20
@x_Laura_x Said

3500 calories A DAY The worrying thing is that people actually do eat that much I always thought the term "crash diet" applied to the eating habits of people like Lindsay Lohan or whatever... I didn't realise it could apply to the person halving their intake from 3,500 calories.

I couldn't ever limit my diet to something like "no carbs". Those people must be so miserable.

It's really quite easy to eat 3500 calories a day. If you went back over the past few weeks and added up every calorie you consumed each day, you'd probably be very surprised at how high the number is.

Nowhere, United Kingdom
#13New Post! Aug 17, 2010 @ 19:21:48
@jonnythan Said

It's really quite easy to eat 3500 calories a day. If you went back over the past few weeks and added up every calorie you consumed each day, you'd probably be very surprised at how high the number is.

Really? But isn't that like a s***load of food? I suppose if it's stuff like pizza and burgers all day maybe... hmm! I will see if I can count up tomorrow, if I remember, I'm interested now!
Lili On July 12, 2019

Sunshine Land,
#14New Post! Aug 17, 2010 @ 19:23:31
I'm not sure you know what the differences are between different types of sugar. If you consume 1 cup of white sugar, or one cup of dehydrated cane juice, they have essentially the same number of calories. What will happen if you avoid foods with added sugar in them though, is avoid a lot of snack foods and soda. Soda is the number one contributor to obesity. Its not because it's "processed", it's because you can consume way more calories by drinking them than by eating them.

Fruit sugar (primarily fructose) is not "better". In fact, fructose increases insulin resistance, a significant step toward diabetes. One reason the sugar in soda is particularly bad is that it is usually High Fructose Corn Syrup, it's between 55 - 90% fructose, whereas regular white sugar is 50% fructose, and 50% sucrose. So, to say that "processed sugar" is bad, but fruit sugar is good shows a lack of understanding of what you're consuming.
lil_bear01 On February 18, 2011

Deleted

In my igloo, Canada
#15New Post! Aug 17, 2010 @ 19:23:48
Losing weight is very different for every person.

Some people have to lose weight for different reasons including health so no one can really follow the exact same diet as another.

Many factors and reasons as to why someone is dieting..

My doc told me 2lbs a week is the norm, more than that and you're getting a little risky..
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 ...8 9 10 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs